Start by marking “Prisoner of Desire” as Want to Read:
Prisoner of Desire

Prisoner of Desire (Louisiana History Collection #6)

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  253 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
AS MARDI GRAS FLARED IN THE GLITTERING STREETS OF NEW ORLEANS, ECSTASY BLAZED IN A SMALL, STARK ROOM ...

To prevent the duel she was sure would kill her sister's fiance, Anya Hamilton took as her prisoner the magnificently handsome Creole Ravel Duralde.

But in a small, stark room on her lush Louisiana plantation, it was Anya who became Ravel's prisoner of desire.

For in that
Trade Paperback, 393 pages
Published August 12th 1986 by Fawcett (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Prisoner of Desire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prisoner of Desire

Warrior's Woman by Johanna LindseyDefy Not the Heart by Johanna LindseyGentle Rogue by Johanna LindseyThe Hawk and the Dove by Virginia HenleySavage Thunder by Johanna Lindsey
The One & Only Fabio
19th out of 82 books — 26 voters
Angel by Johanna LindseyThe Romantic by Madeline HunterBy Design by Madeline HunterThe Man Who Loved Christmas by Kathryn ShayPrisoner of Desire by Jennifer Blake
YoYs' Historical Romance Authors
5th out of 19 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Misfit
Update 12/7/12. Picked this up as a reread on my kindle. Same thoughts on storyline, etc. as first read, but I did notice a few small typos in the new kindle edition. Lots of missing apostrophes (sp?). Not terribly distracting, but a bit distracting when they did pop up.

Her fiancé killed in a duel, Anya Hamilton is content wallowing in her grief and running the family's plantation. The man who killed Jean, Ravel Duralde, returns to New Orleans and promptly gets challenged to a duel when he *acc
Alicia Maybach
I really wanted to like Prisoner of Desire, by Jennifer Blake. In fact I considered giving it more stars simply for the fact it was well written. But in the end I decided I just couldn't do it.

While the writing was very good, and obvious the author put great time into development, it read like a history book, not a historical romance novel. It did not in my opinion add to the development of the characters. If anything it drew the readers interest away.

I will just venture a guess that more then h
Greentea
Jan 14, 2015 Greentea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historicals
I have a blog! Visit Papernovel

This story is such a drag that I don't even care if I finished this or not. Anya basically kidnapped Ravel to prevent a duel from occurring. Okay, kidnapping heroes is usually unheard of so I thought I'll give this a shot. Apparently this shot missed the target that I'm hoping for. As I said in the first sentence this was a drag, boring story with nothing happening except bantering of Anya and Ravel. And whatever goes on how Ravel get's out of that makeshift pris
Cindy Woods
Dec 18, 2015 Cindy Woods rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boring

This book bbc.co is a dead bore on every level. Either write a history book or a romance novel. This mixture does not work. I thought the book would never end....yawn! It is not sensual, not exciting, not erotic, not sweet......It is a poor attempt to educate via a romance story. Although I have read author's capable of the mix, but Blake does not , pull it off. Don't waste time or money reading this book.
Mara
Aug 23, 2015 Mara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Color me surprised. The first book of hers that didn't leave me in a snit. I can't give 3 stars, as I skipped half the pages. I'm really not interested in a documentary chocked full of meaningless details. They should give you the atmosphere, not replace the story.
Vmontgzz
Apr 21, 2014 Vmontgzz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, histórico
Primera novela que leo de esta autora y me gusto, la protagonista independiente y decidida algo impulsiva pero me simpatizó y el prota encantador sin esas poses de como soy hombre te tengo que proteger ni nada por el estilo. A pesar de ser una historia escrita en los 80's me parecio muy actual.
DA4Pups
Jan 09, 2016 DA4Pups marked it as own-under-another-title  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Louisiana History Collection - Part 2 (Louisiana History Boxed Sets)
Patricia Poupart
Sep 23, 2012 Patricia Poupart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love historical romances! Being a native New Orleanian, I especially love those set in my hometown or the pre- and post-Civil War south. Jennifer's descriptions of New Orleans historical places and events is well written to the point that you feel you are there, whether it be at a Mardi Gras ball or on the field of honor at the Duelling Oaks. I look forward to reading the other novels in the Louisiana History Collection
Michelle
Prisoner Of Desire
Jennifer Blake
Historical Romance
387 pages
Copyright: 1986
ISBN: 0-449-90176-9

Anya took Ravel as prisoner to save his life. But in a small dark room on her lush Louisiana plantation, it was Anya who became Ravel's prisoner of desire. As she struggled to contain her emotions, and Ravel strove to win her love, they both faced the challenge of staying alive....
Poonam
It was an okay read. I like the hero Ravel Duralde. It was annoying to see that Anya constantly doubting him throughout the story. Only one thing I really love about this story is how much Ravel Duralde's deep love for Anya .
Ashley
Jul 24, 2011 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was a lot of description of New Orleans and Historical background that I found to just be to much and made the story drag. A good story, but to wordy for my liking.
Ray
Jan 30, 2015 Ray rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
This book was hard to get into and the story moved very slowly for my tastes. Good character development however which helped me get to the ending.
Ladyvixen
Apr 09, 2012 Ladyvixen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
je crois bien que tout les jennifer Blake que j'ai lu, celui-ci est le meilleurs, il est tout simplement magnifique.
Lady Claire, Marchioness of Fancy Pants
I read this one back in high school,and I believe I read it in large print, and it didn't have that sweet cover.
Monica
Dec 06, 2012 Monica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is a great Louisiana history story. It kept me on my seat I could not put it down.
FeliciaKarenB
Feb 14, 2016 FeliciaKarenB rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: histo-romance
The author's writing is very good as always...But İt's like a history book.
Michelle [Helen Geek]
Free on Amazon 09/15/2012.
Crystal Engstrom
Crystal Engstrom marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
A.I. Pereira
A.I. Pereira rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it did not like it
May 14, 2016
Paula
Paula added it
May 11, 2016
Autumn Brown
Autumn Brown marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
A Thompson
A Thompson rated it did not like it
May 06, 2016
Irma04
Irma04 rated it liked it
May 05, 2016
Susanna Barkley
Susanna Barkley marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Linda Morris
Linda Morris rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2016
Kelli Santistevan
Kelli Santistevan marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Jazmin Zarate
Jazmin Zarate marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
  • Love and War (Coltrane, #1)
  • Fireblossom
  • What Wild Moonlight
  • Defiant Impostor
  • The Spanish Rose
  • Windswept
  • To Love a Scoundrel (Law and Disorder, #4)
  • Dust Devil
  • Lily Cigar
  • Sea Fires (Blackstone Trilogy, #1)
  • Just a Kiss Away
  • Midnight Lover
  • Siren Song (Siren Song, #1)
  • California Caress
  • To Wed A Wanton Woman (Montana Men, #2)
  • A Dove At Midnight
  • Fires of Destiny
A pseudonym used by Patricia Maxwell.

Jennifer Blake has been called a “pioneer of the romance genre”, and an “icon of the romance industry.” A New York Times and international best selling author since 1977, she is a charter member of Romance Writers of America, member of the RWA Hall of Fame, and recipient of the RWA Lifetime Achievement Rita. She holds numerous other honors, including two “Maggi
More about Jennifer Blake...

Louisiana History Collection (7 books)
  • Fierce Eden