Start by marking “Herring on the Nile” as Want to Read:
Herring on the Nile

Herring on the Nile (Elsie and Ethelred Mystery #4)

In an effort to rejuvenate his flagging career, crime novelist Ethelred Tressider decides to set his new book in Egypt and embarks on a 'research trip' with his literary agent, Elsie Thirkettle, in tow. No sooner has their cruise on the Nile begun, however, than an attempt is made on Ethelred's life. When the boat's engine explodes and a passenger is found bloodily murdere ...more
Hardcover, First edition, 263 pages
Published 2011 by Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about Herring on the Nile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Herring on the Nile

Stephen
Jun 12, 2016 Stephen rated it liked it
easy going read in the series this time based on a boat cruising the nile, based loosely on the christie novel but not as good though
Miles
Aug 06, 2011 Miles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
In an effort to rejuvenate his flagging career, crime novelist Ethelred Tressider decides to set his new book in Egypt and embarks on a ‘research trip’ with his literary agent, Elsie Thirkettle, in tow. No sooner has their cruise on the Nile begun, however, than an attempt is made on Ethelred’s life.

When the boat’s engine explodes and a passenger is found bloodily murdered, suspicion falls on everyone aboard – including a third-rate private eye, two individuals who may or may not be undercover p
Staci McLaughlin
Jul 30, 2012 Staci McLaughlin rated it really liked it
Another great addition to the Ethelred and Elsie series. Elsie, in particular, cracks me up with how she perceives herself versus how others see her. The book made me want to reread Agatha Christie's Death on the Nile.
Sarah "Kat"
Started out strong but rather fizzled in the last 75 Pgs. Likely won't read any more in the series.
Verity W
Dec 04, 2016 Verity W rated it liked it
This series just gets more and more bonkers and meta. I've read a lot of dectective stories and this is tipping its cap to all of that and nodding and winking like mad. It's fun and ridiculous.
Yoy
Jul 31, 2016 Yoy rated it it was amazing
Volgens mij de beste van de 'Herring Mysteries'.
Wellicht het leukste voor diegenen die de personages al kennen van vorige boeken, maar ook voor de anderen is dit een superleuk en spannend boek.

Humor
Daar is hij weer, Tyler die exact de juiste dosis ironie en Britse humor kan leveren, zodat het humoristische effect maximaal wordt. Zowel in gesprekken als in situaties blijft het grappig, het hele boek door.

De Nijl
Uiteraard is het lachen met mensen en situaties, maar deze keer lacht Tyler ook met
Jane
Jul 23, 2011 Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
Hooray for the return of Ethelred and Elsie!

I anticipated a clever mystery and a fine entertainment, and that’s just what I got.

Ethelred is a middle-aged crime writer, scraping a living by writing three different series under three different aliases. Or rather he was. Ethelred has received an unexpected inheritance. He has a new lady friend too. And those facts might just be linked…

He books a Nile cruise: a holiday with his new love and a research trip for a new novel. But then he is jilted.

Elsi
Lizzie Hayes
Aug 31, 2012 Lizzie Hayes rated it it was amazing
‘Herring on the Nile’ by L C Tyler
Published by MacMillan, July 2011. ISBN:

Embarking on a research trip for his new book to be set in Egypt, writer Ethelred Tressider sets sail up the Nile on the luxury paddle steamer Khedive. His intended companion for the trip was the attractive widow of the late Lord Muntham, but things rarely go according to plan, and so accompanying him is his agent Elsie Thirkettle.

Joining the ship the first passenger Ethelred sets eyes on is inept Private Eye Herbie Proc
Silvia
Sep 08, 2016 Silvia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I discovered the series recently and i love it. Its not so much about who did it but the dialogs are very very funny and i love the characters. Its also very nicely written, with lots of clever parallel stories. Its the kind of book that puts you in a good mood, the writer must be a very funny person!! The atmosphere of the Nile is also well caught on this one, having done the cruise myself (althoguh not so much luxury). I just love the fast dialog and all the sarcasm. Bought the whole series an ...more
Kim
Apr 19, 2016 Kim rated it liked it
In this, the fourth, Herring novel, Ethelred and Elsie take a trip down the Nile as research for Ethelred's next novel. It's got some lovely touches reminiscent of Agatha Christies novel which make you want to reread that novel straight away, while having some quirky modern day touches of It's own (terrorism for one). Once again Ethelred is the bungling idiot character who gets totally taken advantage of. I did enjoy this romp along the Nile but has been my least favourite of the four novels I'v ...more
Michael Ridpath
Jun 11, 2012 Michael Ridpath rated it it was amazing
Ethelred is a hapless crime writer who takes his literary agent with him on a research trip down the Nile. Things go wrong. Someone is murdered. The plot thickens.

So far, so Agatha Christie, and the book is a wonderful parody. But there is also clever plotting and characterization here, deftly camouflaged. Plus it's really funny. And I love Ethelred: he seems useless, in the way we are all useless on our worst days, but he has flashes of inspiration which make you proud to be reading about him.
Susan
May 09, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
The luxury steamboat Khedive chugs peacefully up the Nile with a small number of passengers, but many of them are lying about who they are and why they're there. Unsuccessful mystery writer Ethelbert and his assertive agent Elsie are on board, and unfortunately they believe different stories of the passengers with them. The only person that they really know, at first, is an unpleasant private eye who says he's protecting a client--but he's never met the client.
David
Aug 18, 2012 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read. A touch below some of the earlier books in the series, but still great fun. Lots of subtle and not-so-subtle references to "Death on the Nile", from character names to plot devices.
^
Feb 04, 2015 ^ rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no recommendation
Too much white space on the page; insufficient description; characters I couldn’t relate to … I tried several times, couldn’t settle, and got no further than page 20 before my attention wandered off for good. At which point knowing that I had other books which I wanted to read, that is exactly what I did.
Jen
This fourth book in the Ethelred and Elsie Series was good, though slightly less so than the preceding books, in my opinion. Perhaps oddly, one of the things I missed most was Elsie's obsession with chocolate: it didn't get nearly as much play in this story. The ending, on the other hand, was pretty fantastic.
David Marshall
Jun 25, 2012 David Marshall rated it it was ok
This is quite a good mystery pastiche with LC Tyler taking on the Agatha Christie original and spinning it out with some wit. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's even remotely funny but I understand that's its intention.

Sophia
Jun 02, 2016 Sophia rated it liked it
Rather jolly romp down the Nile, whodunnit-style. Whenever I read this sort of mystery I get slightly confused trying to follow all the different characters and their possible motives, but generally an enjoyable, fast read. Nice to see the Southend Evening Echo getting a mention too.
Elizabeth
I like this series but this story was a little soft in the middle. Well maybe also a little soft in the end as I was left unconvinced about the whys and wherefores.
Kathleen
May 02, 2013 Kathleen rated it liked it
The dialogue was witting and the setting fun. I loved how the author wove author (the protagonist) interview questions through the story. This was one of the best part of the book.
Lilania Kershaw
Lilania Kershaw rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2016
Alice
Alice rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2013
Thomas B.
Thomas B. rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2015
Puzzle Doctor
Aug 20, 2015 Puzzle Doctor rated it really liked it
Another witty and clever mystery with a metal spin.
Ann Behan
Ann Behan rated it it was ok
Dec 10, 2016
alexandra
alexandra rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Amber
Amber rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2015
Amanda Lavelle
Amanda Lavelle rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2016
M
M rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2015
Mi Chelle
Mi Chelle rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Brendon Horrocks
Brendon Horrocks rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
L. C. Tyler grew up in Essex and studied geography at Jesus College Oxford University and systems analysis at City University in London. During a career with the British Council he lived in Malaysia, Sudan, Thailand and Denmark. More recently he has been based in Islington and West Sussex and is Chief Executive of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health. He is married and has two childre ...more
More about L.C. Tyler...

Elsie and Ethelred Mystery (6 books)
  • The Herring Seller's Apprentice
  • Ten Little Herrings
  • The Herring in the Library
  • Crooked Herring
  • Cat Among The Herrings (Elsie and Ethelred, #6)