Start by marking “Telling Tales (Vera Stanhope, #2)” as Want to Read:
Telling Tales (Vera Stanhope, #2)

Telling Tales (Vera Stanhope #2)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  541 ratings  ·  57 reviews
10 years ago Jeanie Long was charged with the murder of 15-year old Abigail Mantel. Now new evidence has proved Jeanie's innocence. But Jeanie commits suicide in her prison cell, unable to face the people who had believed her capable of killing a child. On hearing the news, Emma Bennett is haunted once more by memories of her vibrant best friend, Abigail, and by the though ...more
Published February 8th 2011 by Pan Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Telling Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Telling Tales

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonVanishing Act by Thomas PerryThe Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn KeeneThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson
Favorite Female Sleuths
140th out of 163 books — 30 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonOne for the Money by Janet EvanovichA is for Alibi by Sue GraftonDéjà Dead by Kathy ReichsThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith
Fearless Females
356th out of 408 books — 487 voters

More lists with this book...

Mary Gilligan-Nolan
Loving this series with Inspector Vera Stanhope. I had previously read the Shetland Quartet (one further one was added recently) and had hoped this series would be as good, and it is. This is the second of the series, so far, I think there are six published. Ten years after Jeanie Long has been convicted for the murder of 15 year old Abigail Mantel, Jeanie commits suicide after being turned down again for parole. Then, a witness comes forward and gives Jeanie an alibi supporting her claim she wa ...more
Sharonm
I was having a bit of Jimmy Perez withdrawal after finishing the last of the Shetland Quartet, so I decided I needed to try another of Ann Cleeves' series. This book was actually the second in the Vera Stanhope series, since I couldn't get my hands on the first. It was a great book, with Cleeves' characteristic rich description of the setting and deep characterization. I feel as though I know the characters, and I am very much looking forward to getting to know Vera Stanhope better. In this book ...more
Sophie Houston
Very good, although she needs a decent editor - spelling 'surplice' as 'surplus' is just awful!
Laura Garner
I'm loving the depth and complexity of this series, and I absolutely love Vera. She's real, solid, pathetic yet heroic.
Richard Thompson
With this book we have run out of Vera novels. We still have a couple of Cleeves' Shetland mysteries left... we will have to check out some of her other titles.

In this one Vera has been brought in to work with the Yorkshire police to assess an old case in which a young woman was wrongly convicted of killing a teenager in a small coastal village. New evidence has come to light that proves that the accused woman couldn't have committed the crime, but by then the woman had hung herself in her priso
John Lee
A most enjoyable story. The authors style of starting the story in a very character based way is very similar to her previous book, The Crow Trap, is much to my taste.
As readers of my notes will know I am someone who tries to work out 'who-dun-it' before the denoument but the web was woven and covered so well here that I didnt have anyone in the frame, right up to the last chapter.

The TV characterisation of Vera, which I tried to avoid, just didnt work for me as Brenda Blethyn, fine actress that
Lee
2nd in the Vera Stanhope series, and a complete surprise ending. I may be terribly dense but I never even had an inkling 'who done it.' I'm a fan of Ann Cleeves and recently purchased the whole series. Have heard that British TV has filmed a series based on these books, would love to see that!
Carol Jean
Fascinating characters and atmosphere. It's long and complex, so set aside a winter day and curl up by the fire with endless cups of tea. You can switch to whiskey partway through in synch with Vera Stanhope. Lovely!
Tinglefish
This is a good old fashioned crime story, primarily a character study. The format was just questioning and slowly uncovering more facts, so not exciting in the action stakes. Nonetheless the characters were really interesting, I particularly liked how Emma was drawn. The only thing I would have changed is actually the perspective from which the story was told. I liked it most when we weren't following Vera and didn't know what she was thinking. At first she seemed this mysterious and intriguing ...more
Sammie
I tend to stay away from crime series that follow a particular detective along, and this book reminded me why. The character background and feelings of the detective in this one detract from the main point of the story for me. I was also a little disappointed in the way that the ending played out. The resolution itself wasn't bad, just the way it was revealed. It is no surprise to me that this series has been made into a TV show, and I think this story would work better in that format.

Things I
Gary Van Cott
This was a difficult book to get. I finally bought a used copy through Amazon. I thought it was ok, but the author seems to be more interested in writing about the characters then in telling a good story. At least we didn't have to wait as long as we did in the first book for Vera to make her appearance.
Trawets
I first became aware of DI Vera Stanhope in the TV series Vera last year. And while I enjoyed the series, the books are even better, if this is a typical exmple.
DI Stanhope is not your usual fictional female cop, she's, fat, ugly and has a unsightly dry skin condition, oh yes, she also dresses badly. However she is also very human, gven to jumping to conclusions and misjudging people, she's also prone to occasionally feeling sorry for herself.
The story concerns two murders, one ten years old and
Lwg
Loved this. Vera is such a warm, sympathetic character - feels full of life. The other characters are perhaps a bit less well -drawn, but you'd expect that in a crime novel. I was disappointed with the ending, though - it came out of nowhere and left a lot of threads hanging. Almost felt as though she'd got fed up.
Elizabeth
Vera Stanhope is one of the most interesting characters in detective fiction that I have come across in a while. She looks and dresses like a bag lady because of an unfortunate figure and a recalcitrant skin condition. She is frequently underestimated and often over looked so he has developed a personality that is warm and caring on occasion and very snarky as the British say, on others.

She is the perfect Detective Inspector to reinvestigate a case of the death of a young girl ten years prior. S
Anne
This is the second book in the Vera Stanhope series, and it is also the second book that I have read by Ann Cleeves. I love Ann's writing. As with her first book in the series, she doesn't begin the story with her detective, rather she starts with the stories of all of the other fascinating characters, their relationships to each other, and to the victim(s). Vera Stanhope does not play a major role until almost half-way through the novel, but because the suspects and their tales are so interesti ...more
tinne
This second Vera book confirmed what I suspected: Ann Cleeves is a very versatile writer who manages to concoct the most wonderful characters. I was already hooked on Jimmy Perez, but Vera has conquered my heart.
Sandra
I liked it, quite a bit rather than 'really'.
I'd wanted to read it ever since hearing that it was set at Spurn Head, a place of some fascination, and felt disproportionally disappointed at how fictional it was - Elvet admitted to being so at the end of the book, although by then I'd deduced that since it far from tallied with my memories.
I did not deduce who did the deeds, or why (or why, eventually, others didn't) so ten out of ten for clever and devious plotting. Vera Stanhope crashed her wa
Alsjem
I'm sure I read this book but can't believe I haven't added it to goodreads. I'm sure I read it because I remember watching the tv episode and comparing it to the book.
Zoe Millward
Probably a 3.5. Very readable, it plods along unveiling characters' secrets and surprising revelations. If you are an Agatha Christie crime reader you will love it. If you are more of a Karin Slaighter/ Richard Montanari fan it will seem a little tame.
Emily
Ann Cleeves is always a good read, however, this wasn't her best. I did enjoy the characters, but I sort of guessed who did it and the reflections weren't very convincing. Still, I read it on my holidays and enjoyed it.
Andy Plonka
I'm really getting attacked to Vera Stanhope. She's not your average policeperson. She's overweight, not very friendly, and drinks too much, but she has a good mind and uncovers perpetrators in unique ways. Sadly except for the most recent in the series I think I've read all the others after having just polished this one off.
Helen
This is the second in the Vera Stanhope series. I enjoyed it (and didn't guess the murderer). Vera is likeable, and the setting on the east coast around the Humber - which is not where she usually operates - is well done. Slightly irritated by a couple of the kind of small mistakes which are probably down to sloppy editing - vicars and their assistants do not wear "surpluses", and things affect children, not effect them - but then I'm a bit of a pedant (and the copy I was reading was an early im ...more
Kyla Squires
Another good read. I'm liking this series. I'm a bit concerned that the first two novels involved two murders and a suicide. Hoping that changes in the next book.
Clarissa Draper
I didn't read this book but instead listened to the audio-book. I believe it was the unabridged version.

I love the way Ann writes. She so descriptive and can make even those mundane life appear interesting. In this story, a woman found guilty of killing a young girl--who served eleven years--has died. And news of her innocence has come out, only too late.

Now Vera is in search of the real killer.

The story is told from multiple POVs and so we start to understand the lives of many in the story.
Sibylle Seys smets
Agréable à lire, mais pas révolutionnaire
Linda882
Like the way it this series doesn't follow the detective, rather the people connected to the crime.
R.J. Lynch
Ann Cleeves is a very reliable read, whichever of her series you're reading. You always know you'll get a riveting story and characters you can believe in and empathise with. And, in this book, once again, you do.
Kate Donnelly
This is the second of the Vera books that I have read. Vera is one tough cookie. Cleve's description of Elvet certainly added to the plot. It seemed as if everyone was sad and unfriendly. I cannot imagine what would happen to a cheerful person in this town. There were not many likable characters. I felt like giving them a good shake. There certainly was not much action. I was able to figure out the end. I will be very interested in how Cleve's adds to Vera's character.
Mike
Bit of a plod but better than the first in the series!
Mary Hauer
Good characters, very atmospheric. the weather was like another character
  • Gently Does It
  • The Darkness & the Deep (DI Marjory Fleming #2)
  • Dear Old Dead (Gregor Demarkian, #9)
  • Dancing with the Virgins (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #2)
  • Glass Devil (Inspector Huss #4)
  • The Last Temptation (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #3)
  • An Advancement of Learning (Dalziel & Pascoe, #2)
  • Crime Machine
  • The Redeemed (Jenny Cooper, #3)
  • Service of All the Dead (Inspector Morse, #4)
  • Dead to Me (Scott & Bailey, #1)
  • River of Shadows
  • Where the Shadows Lie (Fire & Ice, #1)
  • The Vows of Silence (Simon Serailler, #4)
  • Watch Me Disappear
  • First Frost (Detective Jack Frost Prequel, #1)
Ann is the author of the books behind ITV's VERA, now in it's third series, and the BBC's SHETLAND, which will be aired in December 2012. Ann's DI Vera Stanhope series of books is set in Northumberland and features the well loved detective along with her partner Joe Ashworth. Ann's Shetland series bring us DI Jimmy Perez, investigating in the mysterious, dark, and beautiful Shetland Islands...

Ann
More about Ann Cleeves...
Raven Black (Shetland, #1) White Nights (Shetland, #2) Red Bones (Shetland, #3) Blue Lightning (Shetland, #4) Dead Water (Shetland, #5)