Start by marking “Gorel and the Pot-Bellied God” as Want to Read:
Gorel and the Pot-Bellied God

Gorel and the Pot-Bellied God

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Published November 29th 2011 by PS Publishing (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Gorel and the Pot-Bellied God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gorel and the Pot-Bellied God

Ana Rînceanu
Lavie Tidhar created an alternate universe, sequel to the Grimm Brothers' fairy tale "The Frog Prince". I like the dark, atmospheric writing and the pacing helped keep me interested in Gorel's quest for the mirror that will take him back home.

Gorel of Goliris is a guy's guy, anti-hero, gunslinger, addict, touched by the Black Kiss and everyone, I mean, everyone wants to join his quest/sleep with him. It's been done before but this story does is well even though it doesn't stand out in terms of i
Geoff
It's called a guns and sorcery book, and that's what we get. Gorel is an anti-hero. He's a gunslinger and kills for his own benefit. He's hooked on a drug called the God's Kiss, but nevertheless we side with him as he does have redeeming qualities.

Gorel was outcast from his lands a long time ago and he is trying to steal a mirror that will give him a way to find his home, and the story takes him to a city, where a frog-like race lives. The story is an adventure style tale, where Gorel's goal is
Cristina
As minhas primeiras leituras fantásticas terão sido as mitologias – histórias de deuses poderosos que, num único gesto, criavam mundos, moldavam humanos e erguiam fortalezas. Seres em tudo semelhantes aos humanos, com caprichos, desejos e vinganças, cujas vidas oscilavam entre tragédias gregas e novelas, mas onde as histórias eram contadas do ponto de vista minúsculo do humano, esmagado pela magnificência dos deuses.

Gorel and the Pot-Bellied God fez-me recordar algumas dessas mitologias, começan
Larou
Feb 19, 2012 Larou added it
Shelves: 2012-01, fantasy
Gorel & the Pot-Bellied God is subtitled as a “Sword & Guns novella” – I admit that I do not know whether that term was coined by Tidhar or whether he found it somewhere else but it is as compelling as fitting for this slim, but very impressive work. Lavie Tidhar is Sergio Leone to Fritz Leiber’s John Ford, and he is to Michael Moorcock what Tsui Hark is to King Hu. Which is to say, he’s read the classics, most likely devoured, even absorbed them, and now re-imagines them with a great am ...more
Raj
May 06, 2014 Raj rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
I've encountered Gorel before in audio form (Buried Eyes, on the audio fiction podcast Podcastle) and I've been wanting to read more Lavie Tidhar, but despite its short length, I did keep getting somewhat confused and lost in this novella. I still have no real idea of what was going on, but this does feel like a component in a larger story. Perhaps with more knowledge of the character and setting, it would work better.
Tom Loock
Came as part of a "Surprise Me"-package of ten PostScript-titles on sale.

I've read (and very much enjoyed) Lavie Tidhar's Bookman-trilogy, but this one just doesn't do it for me. I can see why some readers will be excited though. Maybe it's because I find frogs disgusting?
Nesa Sivagnanam
There is only one truth Gorel of Goliris—gunslinger, addict, touched by the Black Kiss—is interested in: finding a way back home, to the great empire from which he had been stolen as a child and from which he had been flung, by sorcery, far across the World. It started out simple: get to Falang-Et, find the mirror, find what truth it may hold. But nothing is simple for Gorel of Goliris...

When Gorel forms an uneasy alliance—and ménage à trois—with an Avian spy and a half-Merlangai thief, things o
C McDaniel
Please note that my relatively low rating of this novel is related more to personal tastes than the skill of the author or the quality of the writing. I picked this up after it was suggested by a friend during a conversation about Lord Dunsany and "world-building." While I like Dunsany and read him again from time to time as an avenue for accessing Lovecraft's influences, etc., I have an admittedly low tolerance for this type of fantasy (e.g. I avoid HPL's Dream Cycle stories like the plague; I ...more
Mike
Thoroughly enjoyable. An immersive and detailed novella which manages to bring sympathy to the brutal protagonist
And a small coterie of ambiguously motivated other characters.

I'll read more of this author.
Nick Sayce
Awesome book. Dark, funny and full of characters which in no way shape or form adhere to the usual dull good looking hero of fantasy novels
Even though its only a Novella it has that much detail, story and fully developed characters it could be a book of epic proportion.
This is a book which stays true to the saying "quality not quantity"!! . Highly recommended.
Hugo
I loved this. The comparisons with King's Dark Tower and Howard's Conan are inevitable, but to go even further back, there is a distinct flavour of Lieber's Lankhmar and Clark Ashton Smith's Zothique series in here, all mixed up in a proto-Asian setting, and with added sex, drugs and violence. There is mystery about the beginnings of this tale, and mysteries to follow, and I eagerly anticipate reading more. For such a slim volume, there is a great deal in here to enjoy.
Caleb Wilson
Loved this one; I'm looking forward to the book of further Gorel stories coming out later this year. The setting reminds me more of old "sword and planet" SF than fantasy, which is not surprising, since I believe one of Tidhar's influences in writing this was C. L. Moore. The atmosphere is wonderfully sleazy, with enough sex and drugs to make even a frog-person brothel keeper blush.
Dave
A wild fantasy mix that's like a combination of Conan, The Man with No Name and Jon Carter, in a fantasy setting with SE Asia links.
Marcus
A touch of Conan, a little bit of "Dark Tower" and some rock'n roll! Excellent short read in a weird world.
Martin Zorde
Martin Zorde is currently reading it
Jul 13, 2015
Natale
Natale marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Hevel Cava
Hevel Cava marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Ashe Armstrong
Ashe Armstrong marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Tracey
Tracey is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2015
Carrie
Carrie added it
Jul 21, 2015
Sorin
Sorin added it
Jun 28, 2015
Ansar
Ansar marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Daphne
Daphne marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Borja Bishop
Borja Bishop marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Dan Grace
Dan Grace marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Karina
Karina marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Lavie Tidhar was raised on a kibbutz in Israel. He has travelled extensively since he was a teenager, living in South Africa, the UK, Laos, and the small island nation of Vanuatu.

Tidhar began publishing with a poetry collection in Hebrew in 1998, but soon moved to fiction, becoming a prolific author of short stories early in the 21st century.

Temporal Spiders, Spatial Webs won the 2003 Clarke-Bradb
More about Lavie Tidhar...
The Bookman (The Bookman Histories, #1) Osama The Violent Century Camera Obscura (The Bookman Histories, #2) A Man Lies Dreaming