Start by marking “The Straight Line Wonder” as Want to Read:
The Straight Line Wonder

The Straight Line Wonder

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Three straight lines are the best of friends. But when one of them gets tired of being straight all of the time, his friends are embarrassed and run off, leaving him alone. What happens next will enchant and delight all who read this tale about the value of being true to yourself. Full color.

Book Details: Format: Hardcover Publication Date: 6/1/1997 Pages: 32 Reading Level
Published June 1st 1997 by Mondo Pub (first published October 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Straight Line Wonder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Straight Line Wonder

The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienCircle of Friends by Maeve BinchyThe Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings by Edgar Allan PoeRed Square by Martin Cruz Smith
Shape Up!
90th out of 117 books — 22 voters
Possum Magic by Mem FoxAnimalia by Graeme BaseDiary of a Wombat by Jackie FrenchWhere is the Green Sheep? by Mem FoxWhere the Forest Meets the Sea by Jeannie Baker
Best Australian literature for children
163rd out of 258 books — 108 voters

More lists with this book...

Jen
Who says?! This book reminded me of that sentiment time and time again. Who says a line has to be straight all of the time? I totally enjoyed the language in this story ("creep in heaps") and it made for a fun read aloud with fourth graders.
Bonnie
It's okay to be different and try new things.
Sydney
Like this book. Shows children its ok to be different. There are 3 straight lines and 1 of them decides not to be straight anymore. He becomes famous and his other 2 straight line friends love that hes different and famous.
The Styling Librarian
The Straight Line Wonder by Mem Fox, Pictures by Mark Rosenthal – I just loved the simplicity, rhythm, repetition of this book. I love the independence of straight line #1 ignoring peer pressure and loving life.
jesse
this book is actually really stupid. except that it's also so awesome cuz it's about a line who refuses to be straight & then goes into SHOW BUSINESS. "sometimes it's important not to be straight." yes.
Kelli Graham
A must read for the classroom read aloud list! =)
Perfect book to read for individuality and celebrating who you are rather than who you aren't--touching book that I love to read each year. =)
Dolly
Aug 14, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens
I love reading Mem Fox's books to our girls, and although this isn't our favorite, it's still a great story with a good lesson about being true to yourself and not being afraid to be different.
Candice Call
This would be a good book to use to show that you don't have to follow your peers and that it is okay to be different. Could be used in multiple ways to relate to many differnt topics.
Vivian
Aug 15, 2012 Vivian added it
A fun story about being yourself and not worrying so much about others think -- good to share with 5-8 year olds.
marmix
The first half of this book is perfect. I see what Fox was trying to do here, but the subtext is just too contrived.
Kendra
A cute story about being different. Its ok to be different and it should be celebrated.
Erin Banet
Great book! I love the way it teaches to just be yourself! Great illustrations too!
Erica
super cute book about being yourself.
Jazzy Mitzs
Jazzy Mitzs marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Dreamy Irisheyez
Dreamy Irisheyez marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Cassie
Cassie added it
Jun 04, 2014
Leah
Leah added it
May 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Mem Fox was born in Australia, grew up in Africa, studied drama in England, and returned to Adelaide, Australia in 1970, where she has lived with her husband, Malcolm, and daughter Chloë, happily ever after.

Mem Fox is Australia’s most highly regarded picture-book author. Her first book, Possum Magic, is the best selling children’s book ever in Australia, with sales of over three million. And in th
More about Mem Fox...
Time for Bed Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge Possum Magic Where is the Green Sheep? Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes