Start by marking “The Mysterious Benedict Society: Mr. Benedict's Book of Perplexing Puzzles, Elusive Enigmas, and Curious Conundrums” as Want to Read:

The Mysterious Benedict Society: Mr. Benedict's Book of Perplexing Puzzles, Elusive Enigmas, and Curious Conundrums (The Mysterious Benedict Society)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  1,403 ratings  ·  78 reviews
This exclusive companion book to the bestselling Mysterious Benedict Society series is a mind-bending collection that will put YOU to the test! With full-color artwork throughout, this companion features ingenious new puzzles, riddles, and brainteasers compiled by Mr. Benedict himself, with the help of Reynie, Kate, Sticky, Constance, and other Society associates. Think yo ...more
Published October 11th 2011 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Mysterious Benedict Society, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mysterious Benedict Society

Julie S.
Apr 14, 2011 Julie S. marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Yeah for more Mysterious Benedict Society!
Cliff
It's difficult to give this high marks because it simply isn't as much a book as it is a gathering of facts and passages from the trilogy. Aside from that is the inclusion of a series of puzzles to be worked out. The puzzles themselves are often fun and challenging. So much so, that I think I would have failed to solve a couple of them without referring to the hints provided. I do enjoy a good word puzzle, but I felt that in some cases the clues were a bit too cryptic. Nonetheless, it's fun for ...more
Kailey
This was everything I hoped for! The puzzles and hidden messages and codes were so much fun to figure out! Some of them were easy, some more difficult, but there are always the hints in the back of the book if you get stuck. Every puzzle is so different, and some of them really make you think! The design and layout are beautiful, and I loved the quotes from the novels as well as a closer look at each character.
A delightful companion book to the series!
Jeana
First rate!

I can't overstate how clever these puzzles were. Honestly I had a few wonderful moments when everything clicked together and I felt so accomplished for having solved a problem in an unexpected way. But even for the more frequent times when I was stumped and flipped to the back for the hints (yes hints, you won't find the actual answers anywhere in the book, which I think makes it better) it was great to have that "ah ha" moment where you slap the side of your head and wonder why you
Beatrice
Have you read some of the Mysterious Benedict Society books? Have you ever wanted to have your mind tested? Then this book is for you! Filled to the brim with awesome and challenging puzzles,this book is really good! Plus it has different levels of puzzles for the whole family and a sneak peek of a Mysterious Benedict Society book. Although it already came out. But anyway you will be amazed at how many good puzzles can fit into one little book. So it is really awesome and I really think you shou ...more
Marissa Morrison
Big fun for a 5-year-old-and-adult team!
Cassandra
It's very surprising to me the reasons why reviewers are rating this book down. I'm fine if you don't like the book, but it seems like so few of these reviewers are thinking like I did when I got this book.

Some say they "would have preferred a real book", and that they weren't expecting a puzzle book. To that I say pshaw, don't tell the author what to do and actually read the title and/or description of a book that you're buying if you're planning to complain about what the book actually is.

Ot
Marlee
This book is so much fun! It has so many neat puzzles and quizzes. Some are simple enough for even very young children. Some are more challenging. All of them are fun. The book has hints in the back if you need them. And many of the answers are hidden within the book itself. I did this book with my children (ages 10 and 6), and they both really enjoyed it. Especially great if you've read The Mysterious Benedict Society series.
gabriello
The book is great. Unfortunately, I was just expecting something else entirely. You know in the beginning of the first book, when you and Reynie solved the puzzles "together"? Well, I was expecting something like that, like a puzzle in the story. Instead, I got a book of (fun) individual puzzles without a story, in the theme of The Mysterious Benedict Society.

For examples of puzzles, there are, to name a few: decoding morse code; navigating the maze; or helping Mage (Kate's falcon) find Kate. Th
Alison
I greatly enjoyed the Mysterious Benedict Society series that this book goes along with, so I was excited to try my hand at some of the puzzles that so intrigued me in the series. Oh, man, though. Some of these puzzles are super simple or at least ones I've seen before, and some are just fantastically difficult, unless you notice a certain pattern that eluded me. The answers in the back are similarly divergent -- some just give you the answer outright, some give you a good hint that helps a lot, ...more
Luke
This book is so cool! For Mysterious Benedict Society fans, you can't pass this one up. The title says it all. Check it out!!!!
Mehsi
I have wanted to have this book for quite a bit of time and I found it yesterday on a trip to Amsterdam. :)

What a fun and brilliant book this is. It features puzzles, riddles, conundrums but also a lot of information. About the characters, be them good or be them bad, and also articles, archives and various fun facts about the series.

I really enjoyed this book, and am happy that I got it. Now I am just hoping for a new book to come out someday with new mysteries and conundrums!
Sarah Lancaster
I was stumped on several of the puzzles! I enjoy trivia and the like so I did have fun with this!
Grant
Really fun! I was working on finding all the answers!
Avalon
This book was full of fun games to complete.
CℓєαяSкує♆
fun and mind bending activities
Lizzie Ludovico
A cool book of puzzles.
Bear
It was too easy.
Cathy
I love interactive books! It's not a story, it's a puzzle book. And it's fun!
Hanna H
Okay this doesn't really count as a book. It's more like a quiz book for fans of THE MYSTERIOUS BENEDICT SOCIETY. But if you've read THE MYSTERIOUS BENEDICT SOCIETY you'll love testing your knowledge on this test booklet. I liked the Kate's comic scramble thing the best! I totally recommend it to people who think you know everything, because it proves you don't know everything! But there is only ONE puzzle that I haven't solved yet though...
Jessica
A lot of these puzzles seemed more difficult than I remember middle school-ish puzzle books being. Great for a kid who needs a challenge. It helps to have read the Mysterious Benedict Society books. The best (and most frustrating) part is the answers (usually) aren't actually given in the back of the book. Instead there are hints, which are sometimes almost another puzzle in themselves.
Erin
This puzzle book was awesome! I had to use some of the hints (as I am not the best puzzle solver) and ask my mom and brother for 2 or 3 of puzzles...This is probably one of the best puzzle books I've seen, but it is necessary to have already read the Mysterious Benedict Society trilogy first. I recomend it to any of the Mysterious Benedict Society fans out there!
Underwood Family
This book is a fun complement to the series. I had a great time figuring out the puzzles in these pages. There are some word puzzles, some observational, many that rely on wordplay to know how to figure them out...and several that look harder than they really are.

So glad I found these books in my 40s -- how I would have *loved* them when I was a kid!
Lynette ~ Escaping Reality – One Book at a Time ~
Oct 21, 2011 Lynette ~ Escaping Reality – One Book at a Time ~ rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anybody who has read The Mysterious Benedict Society
OH MY GOODNESS! Just got this in the mail!
Can't wait to start reading it!

UPDATE:
This isn't the kind of book you want to read in just one sitting.. though I would love too.
It's got all these different puzzles, and problems, and riddles, so I want to spread them out, make the fun last longer.

I am 14 and I highly recommend this book.
Izzy
this book was fabulous it didn't take long to read although it was big because it intrigued me in the first few chapters. It was like you were transported to the world on the Benedict society. I read the first book and then floated right on through to the next books. I would recommend these books for anyone 1 to 100. READ IT NOW!!
Kimberly Fields
This book wasn't really a story-- it was just a collection of puzzles and riddles, along with a few bits of additional information about the characters in The Mysterious Benedict Society books. I enjoyed the puzzles and word games throughout the book, but I would have enjoyed another narrative volume of the series better.
Emma Baker
This book kept me up trying to solve it all. It lives up to its name and then some. I had to use a lot of the hints, which is the only reason I didn't give it full marks. Also, I don't think people who haven't read the series will get it or understand the puzzles. But overall it was very engaging and challenging.
Bethany
Does not have the exact answers, but does have some hints (of which some are better than others). This activity book has the reader/solver use the entire book to solve riddles... even the Table of Contents. A must for any fan of the Benedict Society!
Dawn
Love puzzles and the Mysterious Benedict Society, so this was a win for me. You definitely don't need to have read all of the books to enjoy this, but should have probably read at least one, so you understand all of the references.
Victoria
This series continues to thrill me--but there's nothing like struggling with the challenges, designed for 7- to 12-year-olds, to make you feel less than bright. This isn't a novel but a great companion piece to the trilogy.
E.P.I.C. Quiz Group 1 8 Oct 09, 2012 03:35PM
  • You Have to Stop This (Secret, #5)
  • The Adventures of Sir Givret the Short (Knights' Tales, #2)
  • The Potato Chip Puzzles (The Puzzling World of Winston Breen #2)
  • The Penderwicks at Point Mouette (The Penderwicks, #3)
  • Inubaka: Crazy For Dogs, Volume 1
  • The Academy (Steel Trapp, #2)
  • Liar Game, Volume 1 (Liar Game, #1)
  • Horten's Incredible Illusions: Magic, Mystery & Another Very Strange Adventure
  • The Neddiad: How Neddie Took the Train, Went to Hollywood, and Saved Civilization
  • Kamienni Strażnicy
  • Kids Are Americans Too
  • Grammar Girl's 101 Words Every High School Graduate Needs to Know
  • Gilda Joyce: The Dead Drop (Gilda Joyce, #4)
  • Yoke (Bound, #1)
  • Dating Hamlet: Ophelia's Story
  • The Shakespeare Stealer Series (The Shakespeare Stealer #1-3)
  • This Is New York
Trenton Lee Stewart is the author of the award-winning, bestselling Mysterious Benedict Society series for young readers, as well the adult novel Flood Summer. He lives with his family in Little Rock, Arkansas.
More about Trenton Lee Stewart...

The Mysterious Benedict Society (3 books)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #2)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #3)
The Mysterious Benedict Society (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #1) The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #2) The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #3) The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #0.5) The Mysterious Benedict Society Collection (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #1-3)