Start by marking “The Mysterious Benedict Society: Mr. Benedict's Book of Perplexing Puzzles, Elusive Enigmas, and Curious Conundrums” as Want to Read:

The Mysterious Benedict Society: Mr. Benedict's Book of Perplexing Puzzles, Elusive Enigmas, and Curious Conundrums (The Mysterious Benedict Society)

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  1,721 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
This exclusive companion book to the bestselling Mysterious Benedict Society series is a mind-bending collection that will put YOU to the test! With full-color artwork throughout, this companion features ingenious new puzzles, riddles, and brainteasers compiled by Mr. Benedict himself, with the help of Reynie, Kate, Sticky, Constance, and other Society associates. Think yo ...more
Published October 11th 2011 by Megan Tingley Books

Cliff
Aug 12, 2012 Cliff rated it liked it
It's difficult to give this high marks because it simply isn't as much a book as it is a gathering of facts and passages from the trilogy. Aside from that is the inclusion of a series of puzzles to be worked out. The puzzles themselves are often fun and challenging. So much so, that I think I would have failed to solve a couple of them without referring to the hints provided. I do enjoy a good word puzzle, but I felt that in some cases the clues were a bit too cryptic. Nonetheless, it's fun for ...more
Kailey
Sep 12, 2015 Kailey rated it it was amazing
This was everything I hoped for! The puzzles and hidden messages and codes were so much fun to figure out! Some of them were easy, some more difficult, but there are always the hints in the back of the book if you get stuck. Every puzzle is so different, and some of them really make you think! The design and layout are beautiful, and I loved the quotes from the novels as well as a closer look at each character.
A delightful companion book to the series!
Julie S.
Apr 14, 2011 Julie S. marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Yeah for more Mysterious Benedict Society!
Lindsay
Aug 17, 2016 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
More Kid Lit. Loved the book
Jeana
Dec 25, 2014 Jeana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
First rate!

I can't overstate how clever these puzzles were. Honestly I had a few wonderful moments when everything clicked together and I felt so accomplished for having solved a problem in an unexpected way. But even for the more frequent times when I was stumped and flipped to the back for the hints (yes hints, you won't find the actual answers anywhere in the book, which I think makes it better) it was great to have that "ah ha" moment where you slap the side of your head and wonder why you
Beatrice
Nov 04, 2014 Beatrice rated it it was amazing
Have you read some of the Mysterious Benedict Society books? Have you ever wanted to have your mind tested? Then this book is for you! Filled to the brim with awesome and challenging puzzles,this book is really good! Plus it has different levels of puzzles for the whole family and a sneak peek of a Mysterious Benedict Society book. Although it already came out. But anyway you will be amazed at how many good puzzles can fit into one little book. So it is really awesome and I really think you shou ...more
Marissa Morrison
Feb 02, 2012 Marissa Morrison rated it it was amazing
Big fun for a 5-year-old-and-adult team!
Cassandra
Jun 07, 2013 Cassandra rated it it was amazing
It's very surprising to me the reasons why reviewers are rating this book down. I'm fine if you don't like the book, but it seems like so few of these reviewers are thinking like I did when I got this book.

Some say they "would have preferred a real book", and that they weren't expecting a puzzle book. To that I say pshaw, don't tell the author what to do and actually read the title and/or description of a book that you're buying if you're planning to complain about what the book actually is.

Ot
Travis
Aug 29, 2015 Travis rated it it was ok
Okay, now THIS book saved the series somewhat. I've been waiting for full-color illustrations in the twenty-four kids novels I have. What makes it even better is that it's not even a dull version of Homework the Game. Instead, it's filled with mind-bending puzzles and character files, which I don't find present in any other book. Then the book gets a letdown by letting us see Mr. Benedict's horrible backstory. So if there wasn't that preview, then I would've given it three stars.
Oh, well.
Marlee
Aug 07, 2014 Marlee rated it it was amazing
This book is so much fun! It has so many neat puzzles and quizzes. Some are simple enough for even very young children. Some are more challenging. All of them are fun. The book has hints in the back if you need them. And many of the answers are hidden within the book itself. I did this book with my children (ages 10 and 6), and they both really enjoyed it. Especially great if you've read The Mysterious Benedict Society series.
gabriello
Jan 04, 2012 gabriello rated it it was amazing
The book is great. Unfortunately, I was just expecting something else entirely. You know in the beginning of the first book, when you and Reynie solved the puzzles "together"? Well, I was expecting something like that, like a puzzle in the story. Instead, I got a book of (fun) individual puzzles without a story, in the theme of The Mysterious Benedict Society.

For examples of puzzles, there are, to name a few: decoding morse code; navigating the maze; or helping Mage (Kate's falcon) find Kate. Th
Dean Shaffer
Sep 05, 2016 Dean Shaffer rated it it was amazing
Le Fantom de L'Opera
Aug 08, 2015 Le Fantom de L'Opera rated it it was amazing
Pretty good puzzles, some of them challenging, yet some that are extremely difficult. When you figure out the answer to the puzzles that are way to obvious, you feel that you're so smart, but there is a high probability you got it wrong.
Keilani
Sep 23, 2015 Keilani rated it it was amazing
This is a good book, but you don't really read that much. It is a puzzle. You do read parts from the other books though. I suggest for you to read the series in order.
Alison
Feb 20, 2012 Alison rated it really liked it
I greatly enjoyed the Mysterious Benedict Society series that this book goes along with, so I was excited to try my hand at some of the puzzles that so intrigued me in the series. Oh, man, though. Some of these puzzles are super simple or at least ones I've seen before, and some are just fantastically difficult, unless you notice a certain pattern that eluded me. The answers in the back are similarly divergent -- some just give you the answer outright, some give you a good hint that helps a lot, ...more
Luke
Jul 20, 2014 Luke rated it it was amazing
This book is so cool! For Mysterious Benedict Society fans, you can't pass this one up. The title says it all. Check it out!!!!
Aditi Warrier
Oct 03, 2015 Aditi Warrier rated it really liked it
Should have been a part two wherein the answers are listed...
Sarah Lancaster
I was stumped on several of the puzzles! I enjoy trivia and the like so I did have fun with this!
Grant
Apr 28, 2015 Grant rated it it was amazing
Really fun! I was working on finding all the answers!
Avalon
Jun 12, 2014 Avalon rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This book was full of fun games to complete.
CℓєαяSкує♆
Feb 14, 2014 CℓєαяSкує♆ rated it it was amazing
fun and mind bending activities
Lizzie Ludovico
Aug 26, 2014 Lizzie Ludovico rated it really liked it
A cool book of puzzles.
Bear
Apr 17, 2014 Bear rated it really liked it
It was too easy.
Mehsi
Feb 13, 2016 Mehsi rated it it was amazing
I have wanted to have this book for quite a bit of time and I found it yesterday on a trip to Amsterdam. :)

What a fun and brilliant book this is. It features puzzles, riddles, conundrums but also a lot of information. About the characters, be them good or be them bad, and also articles, archives and various fun facts about the series.

I really enjoyed this book, and am happy that I got it. Now I am just hoping for a new book to come out someday with new mysteries and conundrums!
Benjamin Elliott
Apr 24, 2016 Benjamin Elliott rated it liked it
Interesting bonus material for the Mysterious Benedict Society series. The hints at the end show a good balance of pointing you in the right direction without stating something outright if they don't have to.
Cathy
Jan 28, 2014 Cathy rated it really liked it
I love interactive books! It's not a story, it's a puzzle book. And it's fun!
Hanna H
Apr 21, 2016 Hanna H rated it liked it
Okay this doesn't really count as a book. It's more like a quiz book for fans of THE MYSTERIOUS BENEDICT SOCIETY. But if you've read THE MYSTERIOUS BENEDICT SOCIETY you'll love testing your knowledge on this test booklet. I liked the Kate's comic scramble thing the best! I totally recommend it to people who think you know everything, because it proves you don't know everything! But there is only ONE puzzle that I haven't solved yet though...
Jessica
Aug 12, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: library
A lot of these puzzles seemed more difficult than I remember middle school-ish puzzle books being. Great for a kid who needs a challenge. It helps to have read the Mysterious Benedict Society books. The best (and most frustrating) part is the answers (usually) aren't actually given in the back of the book. Instead there are hints, which are sometimes almost another puzzle in themselves.
Faith Riddle
Apr 26, 2016 Faith Riddle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: awesome
I love quizzing people on this book
Erin
Jul 31, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it
This puzzle book was awesome! I had to use some of the hints (as I am not the best puzzle solver) and ask my mom and brother for 2 or 3 of puzzles...This is probably one of the best puzzle books I've seen, but it is necessary to have already read the Mysterious Benedict Society trilogy first. I recomend it to any of the Mysterious Benedict Society fans out there!
E.P.I.C. Quiz Group 1 8 Oct 09, 2012 03:35PM
  • The Adventures of Sir Givret the Short (Knights' Tales, #2)
  • You Have to Stop This (Secret, #5)
  • The Neddiad: How Neddie Took the Train, Went to Hollywood, and Saved Civilization
  • The Puzzler's Mansion (The Puzzling World of Winston Breen #3)
  • The Shakespeare Stealer Series (The Shakespeare Stealer #1-3)
  • Inubaka: Crazy For Dogs, Volume 1
  • George Washington's Spy
  • The Day It Snowed Tortillas / El día que nevó tortilla
  • Too Good to Be True
  • Breath Away (Away, #2)
  • Liar Game, Volume 1 (Liar Game, #1)
  • Tales from the Odyssey, Part 2
  • Grammar Girl's 101 Words Every High School Graduate Needs to Know
  • Hamlet for Kids
Trenton Lee Stewart is the author of the award-winning, bestselling Mysterious Benedict Society series for young readers; The Secret Keepers, also for young readers; and the adult novel Flood Summer. He lives in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Letters to the author may be sent to:

Trenton Lee Stewart
PO Box 251358
Little Rock, AR 72205
More about Trenton Lee Stewart...

The Mysterious Benedict Society (3 books)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #2)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #3)