Start by marking “Chemical Chaos” as Want to Read:
Chemical Chaos

Chemical Chaos (Horrible Science)

What makes a stink bomb stink? Why aren't glass eyes made of glass? Bubbling over with chaotic chemistry facts, this book also reveals the secrets of some very strange scientists, offers experiments to try at home, and much more!
Published September 1st 1998 by Scholastic (first published February 21st 1997)

Travelin
Oct 22, 2014 Travelin rated it really liked it
This taught me genuinely fascinating things, including how one famous diamond drove everyone who touched it mad, and how volcanoes in South Africa and elsewhere are rich sources of diamonds. One star off for a really grim focus on poisons and other chemistry-induced mortification.
Zaheer Ahmed
Nov 14, 2014 Zaheer Ahmed rated it it was amazing
i wanan read
Daisy
I've never liked these Horrible Histories/Science books that much but this has to be my favourite. It was engaging all the way through and the quizzes and experiments were interactive and fun. There were tons of topics I recognized from my Chemistry GCSE, plus it had lots about the history of famous scientists and discoveries which was really interesting, so it's definitely educational too. A great book for kids interested in chemistry!
Rainier
Jun 14, 2013 Rainier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book. Maybe a couple things you don't know..kind of funnels, beakers, flasks, thermometers, test tubes, filter paper, hot plates, droppers, spectroscopes, gas chromatograph. Then we find out how Perkin made the dye, not the dye you use to make somebody die like the word death, actually the things that you color with. I think that artificial limbs should be made of metal not plastic. I learned that they are plastic in this book, and that if you bury one underground it will rot, so ...more
Elizabeth Carr
Sep 07, 2016 Elizabeth Carr rated it really liked it
This is a very clever little book! I wish science was still taught this way to students as they grow academically but unfortunately this does not happen. Everything becomes strict and boring. GREAT WAY TO GET CHILDREN INTERESTED IN CHEMISTRY!
Max
Apr 16, 2008 Max rated it really liked it
Shelves: advisory
This book did not have a plot. It had a bunch of plots referring to history about how idiotic scientists came to achieve outstanding discoveries, or made items that endangered the race of man. Chemical Chaos was really a funny way to feature biology and science because there were clear explainations and funny of all, it had comics to explain the specific effect of that chemical. All towards this present day, we have science in our lives. This book explains many things that we use in real life ...more
Mao Mao
Oct 10, 2015 Mao Mao rated it really liked it
Chemicals are dangerous, but also interesting. This book tells about liquids, solids, gases, acids, bases, and chemical reactions. I like the part of the solids (metals) because they are interesting. One part is very confusing. It says that a baby boy is carbon. Who would believe that piece of rubbish? We are not only made of atoms. There are some loose electrons inside us. Otherwise, we will have no brain. I need to know what atoms everyday needs are made of.
Wison705
Feb 05, 2011 Wison705 rated it it was ok
this book is awesome... in a way
i liked how this writing book style is really different from other nonfiction books
it has cool facts like half the silver coins we produce gets lost... and others that have to do with science
Sam
May 07, 2009 Sam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is great fun to read with interesting little titbits and plenty of things to try...although I would probably not go for the making a diamond turn into a cloud of carbon dioxide as this may upset a few people...namely the owner of said diamond. A well targeted and fun read, even at my age
Verdi
Jun 08, 2009 Verdi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
Really funny and apparently krypton has been found floating around in space. I guess that's why they named it krypton.
Ogun Receb
Jun 06, 2016 Ogun Receb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Знаете ли от какво се прави маргарина? От стомашните сокове на прасе! (Бляк). Книга пълна с поучителни факти за химията, за прасетата(хахаха), за хаоса...
alex
Jun 17, 2011 alex rated it it was amazing
This was a very nice book. I like Chemistry and this was entertaining to read. I learned a few interesting facts about acid and diamonds, it was very pleasant.
Minso K.
Minso K. rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Jamie
Jamie rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2013
Dhiren
Dhiren rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
Oma
Oma rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2015
Sophia
Sophia rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
Samyak Rai
Samyak Rai rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2015
Fons
Fons rated it liked it
May 08, 2011
Nikolai Brown
Nikolai Brown rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2008
Gulzara Khatun
Gulzara Khatun rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2014
Franky
Franky rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Kathy Sharkova
Kathy Sharkova rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2013
Ezgi
Ezgi rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2012
Jamie White
Jamie White rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2015
April
April rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2012
M Fikri
M Fikri rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2015
Daniel
Daniel rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2014
Jan
Jan rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2015
  • Violent Volcanoes (Horrible Geography)
  • Evolve or Die (Horrible Science)
  • The Rotten Romans
  • The Gobsmacking Galaxy (The Knowledge)
  • Leonardo Da Vinci And His Super-Brain (Dead Famous)
Nick Arnold is the author of the award winning series, Horrible Science and Wild Lives. Arnold's first published works appeared as a result of a project he was working on at the University of North London, when he was trying to teach young children. A positive review was written about him, and he started to write the "Horrible Science" books. His books are illustrated by Tony De Saulles.
More about Nick Arnold...

Horrible Science (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Angry Animals (Horrible Science)
  • Blood, Bones and Body Bits
  • The Body Owner's Handbook (Horrible Science)
  • Bulging Brains (Horrible Science)
  • Deadly Diseases
  • Disgusting Digestion
  • Evil Inventions (Horrible Science)
  • Evolve or Die (Horrible Science)
  • Fatal Forces
  • The Fearsome Fight for Flight (Horrible Science)