Start by marking “Antique Bakery, Volume 4 ” as Want to Read:
Antique Bakery, Volume 4

Antique Bakery, Volume 4 (Antique Bakery #4)

Tachibana usually stays busy with the day-to-day ups and downs of running a business...not to mention keeping his crazy staff out of trouble at the Antique Bakery! In the midst of this mania, terrible memories of a trauma from his younger days return to haunt him thanks to a brand-new wave of child abductions. A task force is on the case, but nobody has an easy answer ...more
Published June 20th 2006 by Digital Manga Publishing (first published September 25th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Antique Bakery, Volume 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Antique Bakery, Volume 4

Sophie
Mar 14, 2015 Sophie rated it it was amazing
Okay, this was really, really good. I admit I would never have thought it when I started reading this, but it slowly developed from a more or less ridiculous concept to a great story about four people who I came to care about a *lot*.

In the beginning, it seems rather disjointed, but it makes sense - like the first couple of episodes of a tv show it takes some time getting to know the characters. But then slowly their backstories are told and it was just great to see what these characters were li
Dawn Rutherford
Sep 26, 2016 Dawn Rutherford rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
So good! Highly recommend this series.
Elizabeth
Jun 07, 2016 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Overall score: 4.5 stars

This refreshing (and surprisingly heartfelt) series achieves an incredible mixture of beautiful artwork, scrumptious descriptions of the gourmet desserts, and unforgettable characters.... All within 4 simple volumes.

That's impressive, to say the least. In my manga-reading experience, it usually takes at least 6 volumes to establish a fuller story, and, for this level of characterization, at least 8-10 volumes. Antique Bakery's length is half of that and still manages to
Belinda
Jan 11, 2016 Belinda rated it it was amazing
I'm addicted to this series. The idea seems absurd, men running a French styled bakery in Japan, but it's a funny and in-depth exploration of 4 people. Tachibana and Ono are the original characters and I love them the most (particularly Tachibana), but the addition of the young boxer and the body guard (Chikage) opened the series up to make it even more delightful. Yes, they're all gorgeous looking men, too, which somehow makes it even more ridiculous since their lives are just as messed up as ...more
Leila Anani
Concluding volume to this strangely addictive series. Young boys go missing and when the police find their bodies the stomach contents is cakes that are only made at the antique bakery. 2 detectives stake out the store. This brings back painful memories for Tachibana at last his whole reason for setting up the bakery has arrived! The conclusion isn't nearly as cut and dried as you think either. Superb, likeable and interesting characters make this a delightful read and the open ending is a ...more
Samma
Jun 13, 2016 Samma rated it liked it
I am a big fan of the Antique Bakery anime. I came across the first two volumes of the manga at a thrift shop and just finally read them --then had to of course finish this short series so I was glad to see my local library consortium had it.

But I feel like the manga isn't as strongly put together as the anime. It doesn't flow in quite the same way. The art is still great and the story is there...but it still leave something to be desired.
Indah Threez Lestari
Mar 22, 2013 Indah Threez Lestari rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, in-english
Nice ending. Tachibana akhirnya berhasil mengalahkan trauma masa kecilnya dengan cara yang mengesankan.

Dari sini aku lanjut baca doujinshi-nya yang aduh, jalan ceritanya juga baguuus (meski vulgar banget >.
Dan... first love never die, eh? Meskipun Ono sudah whoring himself belasan tahun dan kemudian cukup settled dengan Chikage, tetap saja ia tak bisa memupus rasa cintanya pada Tachibana. Duh, mau iba juga gimana... aku lebih kasihan sama Tachibana kalau diserang Ono lagi :)
Nicole Bunge
Mar 31, 2013 Nicole Bunge rated it liked it
It's nice to see a series wrap up in less than 18 volumes [sic]. That said, this isn't a 'happily ever after.'
I admire that about this series, the 'dramedy' aspect.
It's one of the few series I've read lately where the YA 16+ warning wasn't just for people having sex or there being graphic violence. (They finally deal with Tachibana's kidnapping as a child.)
I can't really say more without spoilering it.
Mikael Kuoppala
Jun 27, 2012 Mikael Kuoppala rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A stunning conclusion to a series that started off silly and lightweight but soon found a deep and meaningful voice. The climax is somber and melancholy in tone, but as always a deep sense of humanity permeates the storytelling. The book leaves you in a bittersweet mood, making you miss the characters already. Any melodrama is wisely avoided and the themes and ideas are given room. Quite perfectly constructed and delivered.
Greymalkin
Jul 03, 2011 Greymalkin rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-comics, food
I liked that there was some actual plot in this one and backstory stuff for the characters, but it continues to be frustratingly confusing about who is doing what and why. Characters seem to come and go full of portent but nothing happens. Just when it gets to the interesting part, it seems to just end or skip forward to the aftermath. Perhaps I'm just missing something...? I still love the descriptions of the desserts though!
Brandy
Feb 16, 2009 Brandy rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, food, library, 2009
Not much to say about this series. I wanted to like it a lot, and I liked it enough to read through all four volumes, but... eh. I'm not much of a manga reader--I love comics but manga somehow short-circuits my brain--and there were a bunch of elements that just didn't make sense to me. That could be in part because it skipped all over the place, time-wise, but still.

Good enough, I guess.
Casseroll
Nov 23, 2012 Casseroll rated it really liked it
Short series with 4 volumes and the last two volumes move along better. More interesting. Not yaoi. Can do without all the perfect this and perfect that pastries and supehuman characters portrayed as regular people. Some regular believable characters were in the story as well. Prefer the live drama show.
Rosa
Apr 24, 2010 Rosa rated it liked it
Hana Eka
Aug 31, 2016 Hana Eka rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Di volume awal Ono yang kuat secara karakter. Kemudian volume 3 dan 4 ini di mana masa lalu Tachibana banyak diceritakan menjadikannya karakter yang dicintai banyak pembaca.

Kalau memilih diantara 4 orang antique, saya akan memilih Eiji Kanda. Hehehe, pemuda manis tersebut punya passion dan kuat. 2 sifat yang saya sukai. :)))
Beth
Jan 14, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: yaoi-shonen-ai, glbtq
More serious in tone than the earlier volumes, with the bakery involved in a police investigation, but still retains the trademark humor and bantering, and Kanda gets more attention than in previous volumes.
Joy
Sep 29, 2007 Joy rated it liked it
Accidentally read this before volume 3 due to a processing error at the library (got a copy of volume 2 with volume 3's cover and didn't realize until later...oops). I think I will need to reread it again after I've gotten my hands on the correct volume 3!
Taylor
May 04, 2008 Taylor rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, shojo, shonen-ai
The conclusion of the series - sadly. The last two volumes aren't as hilarious as the first two but the character development was incredibly satisfying. The ending was wrapped up nicely but I wish there were more volumes in this series!!!
Emily
Jun 23, 2010 Emily rated it liked it
Okay, so the series grew on me. I still find parts of it very confusing, but I like the characters. And I wanted to eat at the bakery!
Sherry
Feb 21, 2016 Sherry rated it it was amazing
In the end I'd give the whole series 5 stars. each volume was great but as a whole they make a wonderful and complex story.
Monique
Mar 10, 2015 Monique rated it really liked it
I love this series, I think it has a lot of soul, but it's no masterpiece. Much of the reason behind my high rating is simple due to my liking it, despite its rough edges.
Stephanie Lam
Dec 12, 2015 Stephanie Lam rated it liked it
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2010
Laura (ローラ)
Laura (ローラ) rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Alexander Mills
Alexander Mills rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2012
Kragthang
Kragthang rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2016
Akari-chan
Akari-chan rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2013
Robbin
Robbin rated it liked it
May 20, 2012
Magnolia186
Magnolia186 rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2013
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2007
Martine
Martine rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2014
  • Love Pistols, Volume 4
  • Little Butterfly, Volume 02
195779
Japanese: よしなが ふみ

Fumi Yoshinaga (よしなが ふみ Yoshinaga Fumi, born 1971) is a Japanese manga artist known for her shōjo and shōnen-ai works.

Fumi Yoshinaga was born in Tokyo, Japan in 1971. She attended the prestigious Keio University in Tokyo.

In an interview, she said that "I want to show the people who didn't win, whose dreams didn't come true. It is not possible for everybody to get first prize. I wa
More about Fumi Yoshinaga...

Antique Bakery (4 books)