Start by marking “Sliver” as Want to Read:
Sliver

Sliver

3.13 of 5 stars 3.13  ·  rating details  ·  1,479 ratings  ·  73 reviews
A chilling psychological thriller that explores the menacing evil behind the glittering facades of Manhattan’s skyscrapers
Kay Norris, a successful and lovely book editor, moves into the posh Carnegie Hall district of Manhattan, into an apartment in a slender high-rise. A man watches her. He watches her unpack, watches her make her bed. He owns the building: a shocking secr
Published May 10th 2011 by Pegasus Books (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Sliver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sliver

Mary
Nov 18, 2012 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes horror
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
Kay Norris, a successful single lady of thirty-nine, moves into the posh Upper East Side district of Carnegie Hill in Manhattan. The building she moves into is a slender, silvery high rise full of exclusive apartments. The building's landlord is personable, if slightly obsessive, but very solicitous of his tenants' various comforts. Only after she moves in does Kay discover that the tabloids have nicknamed her building "The Horror High Rise". Four unexplained deaths have occurred during the buil ...more
Paul Kotheimer
Pretty good for what it is, although I'm not really into the genre. I bought it because I thought I was going to be waiting for a good while, and it was marked down to $3 at a souvenir shop. If you're looking for like a hot sexy book, this one isn't it. Sorry.

Definitely interesting considering it predates the Big Brother and other shows like this, not to mention the whole internet voyeur market.

I guess my biggest problem with it is the New-York-yuppies-are-the-center-of-the-universe vibe. Fuck
Arun Divakar
Is it just me or was this the most unexciting book that I have read in recent times. I confess to the fact that an exciting book like Rosemary's Baby by the same author piqued my interest enough to choose this book.

A hight rise building and the spooky goings on around it make up the crux of the tale. Centres mostly around a single career woman who comes into the building and falls in love with the wrong guy at the wrong place. It is at times so cliched that you can see the climax from miles off.
Livinginthecastle
I expect this book was quite startling when it first came out in 1991, however compared to The Stepford Wives and Rosemary's Baby, this is not Levin's best. What especially annoyed me was the staccato sentence structure where description became just a list, which made it quite confusing. This could be a stylistic choice mirroring the quick voyeurism of the cameras, but to me it just felt like he couldn't be bothered. If you're interested in the fear of CCTV/Big Brother gone mad before the age of ...more
John
This was a humdrum story that couldn't maintain my interest, and I threw in the towel after a hundred pages. The writing was so sparse that, a couple of times, I could hardly make sense of what was happening or what the characters were talking about. If ever I've read a book malnourished from lack of words, this is it. Even yet, despite its stripped-down quality, it still manages to be a slow, dull read.
Brian
* In spite of the echoes of Rosemary's Baby (a building with an infamous history) and The Boys From Brazil (in his climax), Sliver lives up to neither of these earlier novels, mostly because it isn't as grand as the others, there's no big prize dangling at the end for the bad guy. He's got what he wants; it's just a matter of keeping it. Since our heroine isn't too thrilled with that idea, the whole thing degenerates into a routine thriller that ends with one of those implausibilities that you h ...more
Manda
Though very dated now, this book still chills, whilst also raising some uncomfortable questions. Who hasn't watched someone who is unaware of your interest in them? A couple in a coffee shop maybe? Kids playing in the park? Your neighbours in their garden? Maybe you have taken a photo of someone without them knowing. Where is the line? how do you know you have crossed it?
Kimi
I didn't really like the style of writing in this book. I enjoyed it for the first half, but after a while I struggled a bit to get to the end.
I thought the idea of 'Sliver' was interesting, but it wasn't a very exciting read.
A.R.
My favorite author has done It again. I'd seen the movie in the 90s, so I knew it would be a great book. You've gotta stay with this one, though, as Levin bogs you down with yuppie info dumps. But the shocking conclusion is the ultimate comeuppance, and Ira again proves he rules the roost, making the rest of us seem like amateurs with narrative so pared down you'd think it was a striptease.
Lisa Alexa
I ll never view mirrors the same and especially dressing rooms ever again as private! As far as this oldie but goodie, Gosh, I read this a long time ago and saw the movie with Sharon Stone a, surprised, but not surprised on the murderer and the person wat
Roberta
Great suspense, great writing. Ira Levin reminds me of H.G. Wells sometimes: they both created some topoi that are still exploited today.
In Sliver, we have a building full of cameras and a voyeur - the owner - who plays God with his tenants. Needless to say, he also kills them once in a while.
As usual, a pretty lady move into the building, they fall in love, she discovers his deep, dark secrets and they end up fighting for their lives over a twentieth-floor window. Her cat saved the day.
Again,
Diane
Watch the movie instead. If I hadn't, I might have been lost and not able to visualize. It's written in a very staccato style that prevents proper comprehension and is a constant reminder that it's a story.
Tom
When Kay Norris moves into a swanky New York apartment building, she is pleasantly surprised to learn that one of the residents, Peter Hamilton, seems preternaturally attuned to her feelings. The two fall in love, and Peter reveals his secret. He owns the building and each of the apartments is wired with video cameras and listening devices, so he can sit and watch each of the residents as they live their lives. He reveals this secret to Kay, who is at first repelled, then fascinated. The buildin ...more
Michelle
Read it a million years ago. Actually, a totally fun book (later, turned into a campy and equally fun movie with kind of an awesome soundtrack).
Bonnie Fazio
Not my favorite Ira Levin novel (that would be Rosemary's Baby), and written in a slightly different style than what I remember from him. I liked the book pretty well, and it did succeed in building a good bit of suspense that kept me turning the last 20 or 30 pages.

The style thing got in the way of my becoming engrossed in the book at the start. It was sometimes hard to understand what characters meant, as Levin used sort of a shorthand dialogue style that required getting used to.

I was glad I
Diana Welsch
The climax was pretty cheesy, but overall I really enjoyed reading this. I actually listened to it - the Brilliance Audio production is not just narrated but has a full cast. Kind of distracting at first but I got used to it.

It didn't follow the plot I expected it would: I figured the climax would be when Kay finds out the apartment building was bugged. But that's about halfway through. The dung really hits the fan later, when she finds out the building's other big secret.

I heard this was made i
Barbahella
As the intro says, a prophecy of the voyeuristic age we live in now.
Maureen Oskam
book is soooo much better than the movie, love the plot
Jake
The Bates Motel if Norman had NSA connections and a more lenient mother...
Branwen
Levinovy romány jsem přečetla skoro všechny a tenhle se mi líbil asi nejmíň. na druhou stranu, stejně jako ve všech jeho románech, se Levinovi dlouho dařilo držet čtenáře v šachu, kdo je vlastně hlavní záporák a co že to má v plánu. jen... možná je to chyba překladu, ale mně tak strašně leze na nervy, když se postavy, který spolu spí, oslovují "holčičko/chlapečku". no a ten konec s kočkou byl trochu padlý na hlavu. ale zas úplný závěr, který naznačuje, že záporák předal štafetu hlavní hrdince, t ...more
Jeremy
I happen to love the technological ideas presented here (and in the movie) and consider that more rewarding than the characters (although main character Carly is well done the others are a bit blah). Levin once again provides a story about betrayal and adds to it total invasion of privacy. It's a very sexy movie, a pretty slick book, but everyone is right, the ending is questionable - but I thought it was a very fun read nonetheless, particularly if you're a Levin fan as he tries some new things ...more
Skooter
This started out very strange. It took 100 pages for this story to begin to make some sense. There was at least 40 characters introduced straight off in a casual way, then referred to; and you don't know who they are! Also, I didn't like that the author omitted the beginning of sentences a lot. Example: "She woke up. Turned on T.V. Looked for news. Not there today."
From page 100 on, it was pretty good, but having to dredge through the beginning made it not worth it.
Sharon
I could vaguely remember the 1993 film of this and hoped, like Single White Female, that the book would be better. I didn’t feel this was the case. The story is obviously fairly good - though the ending takes a bit of a long stretch of the imagination but the most annoying thing about the book is the short, sharp and not fully formed sentence structure. Stick to the film!
Sonia Gomes
Dec 28, 2009 Sonia Gomes rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Who wouldn't love this book!
Ira Levin, looks inside the human psyche before he writes his books.
At the end of 'Sliver' I would have done the same, of course I would have been addicted to spying and knowing what goes on in other people's houses and lives.
It would naturally affect my behaviour towards my neighbours but what the hell, I would never miss such an opportunity
Reemawi
I might like it just because it's Ira Levin, and I might not like it because I saw the horrible movie first. It's not as crisp and seamless as Levin's other work, for sure, but it echoes Levin's other works by presenting a strong, intelligent woman who might be fooled once, but never twice. Not to mention the usual degree of precise suspense.
Roos Boum
Bizar boek, zeker als je het relateert in de tijd waarin het geschreven is. Niet een van Levins beste boeken, maar wel intrigerend. De schrijfstijl is apart. Vaak met heel korte zinnen, daardoor leest het als een trein. De personages blijven wat oppervlakkig, maar de plot is helaas erg voorspelbaar. Een boek dat vooral een tijdgeest neerzet.
Abby Bartholomew
I loved Rosemary's Baby because it was unexpected, but I felt like the plot of Sliver, though interesting especially given its pub date, was easy to untwist. I also wasn't crazy about Levin's lack of adjectives and, thus, excessively staccato sentences... I understand his intent, but I found it more difficult to get into the story.
Elizabeth
I say I liked this book because I was enjoying it when I read it. However, the ending (in my opinion) is ridiculously stupid and it kind of ruined the entire book for me. (I won't say what happens because I would be then ruining it for anyone who hadn't read it yet.) Anyway, it was a great book right up until the stupid, stupid ending.
Joseph Braga
Possibly the worst book I have ever read. Many children’s books have more depth and description than this one. The dialogue is horrendous; the character development is nonexistent, description is sparse and inadequate, and the plot and conclusion is pathetic. The only intrigue associated with this book: How did it ever get published?
  • Single White Female
  • A Room For The Dead
  • The Doctor's Wife
  • The Hanging Tree: A Novella
  • Henry and Clara
  • Wither (Wendy Ward, #1)
  • Eden Burning
Levin graduated from the Horace Mann School and New York University, where he majored in philosophy and English.

After college, he wrote training films and scripts for television.

Levin's first produced play was No Time for Sergeants (adapted from Mac Hyman's novel), a comedy about a hillbilly drafted into the United States Air Force that launched the career of Andy Griffith. The play was turned int
More about Ira Levin...
Rosemary's Baby The Boys from Brazil The Stepford Wives This Perfect Day A Kiss Before Dying