Start by marking “Sliver” as Want to Read:
Sliver

Sliver

3.15  ·  Rating Details ·  2,061 Ratings  ·  125 Reviews
A chilling psychological thriller that explores the menacing evil behind the glittering facades of Manhattan’s skyscrapers
Kay Norris, a successful and lovely book editor, moves into the posh Carnegie Hall district of Manhattan, into an apartment in a slender high-rise. A man watches her. He watches her unpack, watches her make her bed. He owns the building: a shocking secr
Published May 10th 2011 by Pegasus Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Sliver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sliver

Carol
May 28, 2016 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

OMG, I absolutely cannot believe the ending of this Ira Levin thriller. He never ceases to amaze me, and I don't think it's supposed to be funny, but I can't help it........HAHAHAHAHAHA.......Go Girl! It sure isn't often we have a heroine such as this.....

Anyway, welcome to 1300 Madison Avenue, a 21 story apartment building on Manhattan's East Side better known as Horror High-Rise or High-Rise Horror where there's a history of bizarre accidents that end in death and a shocking secret pr

Becky
This is going to be a spoiler-filled ranty ragefest, so if you are interested in reading this book, and don't want me to save you from yourself, then you should stop reading this review now. Because I'm about to give away the ending, and nobody likes that kind of spoiler.

You've been warned.

Dear Sliver,

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

Goddammit.
ANIMALS. ARE. NOT. HUMAN.
THEY. ARE. ANIMALS.

Did I seriously just read a book- ostensibly written by the same man who wrote both the fucking amazing R
Mary
Nov 17, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes horror
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
Kay Norris, a successful single lady of thirty-nine, moves into the posh Upper East Side district of Carnegie Hill in Manhattan. The building she moves into is a slender, silvery high rise full of exclusive apartments. The building's landlord is personable, if slightly obsessive, but very solicitous of his tenants' various comforts. Only after she moves in does Kay discover that the tabloids have nicknamed her building "The Horror High Rise". Four unexplained deaths have occurred during the buil ...more
Arun Divakar
Nov 01, 2009 Arun Divakar rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Is it just me or was this the most unexciting book that I have read in recent times. I confess to the fact that an exciting book like Rosemary's Baby by the same author piqued my interest enough to choose this book.

A hight rise building and the spooky goings on around it make up the crux of the tale. Centres mostly around a single career woman who comes into the building and falls in love with the wrong guy at the wrong place. It is at times so cliched that you can see the climax from miles off.
Sonia Gomes
Dec 22, 2009 Sonia Gomes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Who wouldn't love this book!
John
Mar 02, 2010 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
This was a humdrum story that couldn't maintain my interest, and I threw in the towel after a hundred pages. The writing was so sparse that, a couple of times, I could hardly make sense of what was happening or what the characters were talking about. If ever I've read a book malnourished from lack of words, this is it. Even yet, despite its stripped-down quality, it still manages to be a slow, dull read.
Mommacat
Mar 21, 2016 Mommacat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark-fiction, dtb
I don't think Ira Levin wrote a bad book. I read this back when it was new and still remember bits and pieces of it. I do know that it was the first of it's kind and that's always a plus.
Brian
Oct 18, 2011 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
* In spite of the echoes of Rosemary's Baby (a building with an infamous history) and The Boys From Brazil (in his climax), Sliver lives up to neither of these earlier novels, mostly because it isn't as grand as the others, there's no big prize dangling at the end for the bad guy. He's got what he wants; it's just a matter of keeping it. Since our heroine isn't too thrilled with that idea, the whole thing degenerates into a routine thriller that ends with one of those implausibilities that you h ...more
Meagen Hudson
Paul Kotheimer
Pretty good for what it is, although I'm not really into the genre. I bought it because I thought I was going to be waiting for a good while, and it was marked down to $3 at a souvenir shop. If you're looking for like a hot sexy book, this one isn't it. Sorry.

Definitely interesting considering it predates the Big Brother and other shows like this, not to mention the whole internet voyeur market.

I guess my biggest problem with it is the New-York-yuppies-are-the-center-of-the-universe vibe. Fuck
Livinginthecastle
I expect this book was quite startling when it first came out in 1991, however compared to The Stepford Wives and Rosemary's Baby, this is not Levin's best. What especially annoyed me was the staccato sentence structure where description became just a list, which made it quite confusing. This could be a stylistic choice mirroring the quick voyeurism of the cameras, but to me it just felt like he couldn't be bothered. If you're interested in the fear of CCTV/Big Brother gone mad before the age of ...more
Martina
Feb 24, 2016 Martina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I refuse to believe Levin wrote this.
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
Eh. This wasn't great. Not totally apalling, but not great.

So - background. I've read most of Ira Levin's books (Rosemary's Baby, A Kiss Before Dying, Stepford Wives, The Boys From Brazil) and have really enjoyed them. He's a master of saying a lot without using many words, of building tension through innocuous events and of writing strong female characters who live in situations where female strength isn't encouraged.

So, yeah. I'm a bit of a fan.

Sadly, I was not a fan of Sliver.

The premise is t
Jan
Feb 04, 2017 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book ages ago but I remember that it was an nice read. Nothing really stands out in my memory to make it a 4. I think it might be a bit outdated tech wise, but I think it would still be enjoyable.
Andrew
Jan 02, 2016 Andrew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Levin writes sparse prose. His books are all about character and story with few descriptive passages along the way. No doubt this is why so many have been adapted for the screen. In "Sliver" we have an apartment building overrun with security cameras, its owner dropping in on conversations and personal moments, as addicted to voyeurism as many of us are to reality TV shows (this book was written before this current preoccupation with ourselves really took off). As it stands, it's an interesting ...more
Mandy
Nov 15, 2009 Mandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though very dated now, this book still chills, whilst also raising some uncomfortable questions. Who hasn't watched someone who is unaware of your interest in them? A couple in a coffee shop maybe? Kids playing in the park? Your neighbours in their garden? Maybe you have taken a photo of someone without them knowing. Where is the line? how do you know you have crossed it?
Kimi
Dec 14, 2009 Kimi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really like the style of writing in this book. I enjoyed it for the first half, but after a while I struggled a bit to get to the end.
I thought the idea of 'Sliver' was interesting, but it wasn't a very exciting read.
Diane
Sep 29, 2014 Diane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Watch the movie instead. If I hadn't, I might have been lost and not able to visualize. It's written in a very staccato style that prevents proper comprehension and is a constant reminder that it's a story.
Helena
Oct 25, 2016 Helena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
You can read my review here: http://embracingmybooks.blogspot.be/2...

3 stars
Gregor Xane
Mar 26, 2009 Gregor Xane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Crisp writing. Good pacing. Some hokey dialogue. An ending that is almost laughable. An interesting premise that is not taken far enough.
Sheila
Creepy and scary, this book will make you want to be careful about where you move.
Emily
Nov 14, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So suspenseful and has now made me totally paranoid.
Kerry Tanley
I got into reading this book knowing exactly what to expect. I knew what I wanted from it, I wanted to be watched, just like the main character. I did really enjoy reading this book, but I have to say, it's more a thriller than it is an erotic. I wanted to be scared into a deep sense of leg shuddering fear, but as the book went on, didn't really feel it. Overall this book was a great read and when the erotic did finally come round, it was good enough - Just not enough for me. A book I won't forg ...more
Wilson
Jan 21, 2017 Wilson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ira Levin deceptively prescient Sliver is just a tremendous amount of fun. Sleazy and salaciously written, with a little bit of bite to the subtext. Levin's prose is crisp and he barely wastes any time in starting or in ending. He does not layer in the mystery for long, does not linger on the intelligent aspects of his conceit, rather he just crafts a fun genre thriller.
Giovanna
Il giudizio sarebbe potuto essere più positivo, specialmente per il finale che mi ha sorpreso rispetto al film visto molti anni fa, ma non si può perdonare un traduzione così (la tazza con "I cuore New York" non si può proprio leggere).
Bettie☯
Oct 29, 2016 Bettie☯ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bettie☯ by: simon lucy
need a re-read of this one at some point
Scott
Oct 14, 2014 Scott rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sliver was my first experience with Ira Levin. I remember hearing about the movie but never seeing it and I saw this book at a book sale for like fifty cents or something. I read the book on the beach in about eight hours’ time. The book is an incredibly fast paced work that could easily transfer to the screen like some of Levin’s other work. I remember the movie being advertised for overt sexual conduct but the novel was tame in this department. What the novel did well was predict our future an ...more
Rachael Eyre
Roberta
Great suspense, great writing. Ira Levin reminds me of H.G. Wells sometimes: they both created some topoi that are still exploited today.
In Sliver, we have a building full of cameras and a voyeur - the owner - who plays God with his tenants. Needless to say, he also kills them once in a while.
As usual, a pretty lady move into the building, they fall in love, she discovers his deep, dark secrets and they end up fighting for their lives over a twentieth-floor window. Her cat saved the day.
Again,
  • Persecución
  • A Little Death
  • The Wheat Field
  • In the Night Season: A Novel
  • Blood in the Water (Alice Rice, #1)
  • The Guardian
  • Rasmus, Pontus und der Schwertschlucker
  • Everything You Have Is Mine (Lauren Laurano, #1)
  • Ruin Creek
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • Unholy Fire
  • Shamanism
  • The Walking Stick
  • Oversteken
Levin graduated from the Horace Mann School and New York University, where he majored in philosophy and English.

After college, he wrote training films and scripts for television.

Levin's first produced play was No Time for Sergeants (adapted from Mac Hyman's novel), a comedy about a hillbilly drafted into the United States Air Force that launched the career of Andy Griffith. The play was turned int
More about Ira Levin...