My Darling Caroline

My Darling Caroline

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  760 ratings  ·  73 reviews
A Lifelong Dream
Lady Caroline Grayson had always wanted to study botany—and had already bred a rare, lavender rose— but as a woman in nineteenth-century England, her intelligence and talents were ignored. Caroline was determined to see her dream become a reality—even if it meant masquerading as a man to be accepted at a university. But when her father arranged for her to m...more
Mass Market Paperback, 338 pages
Published October 1st 1998 by Jove

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenOutlander by Diana GabaldonDevil in Winter by Lisa KleypasJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëGone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Favorite Historical Romance Novels
295th out of 1,916 books — 3,705 voters
Devil in Winter by Lisa KleypasRomancing Mister Bridgerton by Julia QuinnHeaven, Texas by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsNobody's Baby But Mine by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsDreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas
Plain Jane and Hot Stud Romance Novels
42nd out of 208 books — 230 voters

More lists with this book...

Rane
Lady Caroline Grayson love and study for botany has pushed her to create roses and plants not yet seen, but her dream is threatened when she’s forced into an arranged marriage with Brent Ravenscroft, never did she think her new husband would support her and her talented mind, and never did she think she would fall in love with him.......

There’s been many reissues of books of late, and to say am happy I picked this book would be an understatement “overjoyed” would be close enough~!

Adele Ashwort...more
Denise

Caroline was a born genius which during the time frame of this story was one of the worst things that could happen to a woman. She wanted to study at university, but of course that wasn't accepted for a woman. She was a botanist and a natural mathematician. All her life though she was the odd one with no friends or suitors. Here 4 sisters were blonde, blue eyed and beautiful while she was brown haired and brown eyed and thought to be plain.
When Lord (Brent) Ravenscroft comes to her father to...more
Crista
I love Adele Ashworth's books. Why are they out of print? I just finished Winter Garden, which is arguably one of the best ever written, and now I can't decide which one I like better. I'd like to own both, but you better get out your wallet...they are BOTH out of print...aghhh!

My Darling Caroline is a book about Caroline Grayson, a positively brilliant mathematician and botanist who has experienced much prejudice and shunning based on her gender. She is forced into an arranged marriage with Br...more
Ana
Summary:

No man's darling . . .

One by one, Lady Caroline Grayson watched her four sisters celebrate their betrothals, truly sure that marriage was not in her future—and perfectly pleased with that fact. Or so she thought.

Brent Ravenscroft, Earl of Weymerth, nearly gave his life for the Crown. He returned to England a hero with no intention of taking a bride, certain his brusque demeanor would intimidate any young ladies drawn to his good looks—or so he thought.

Bound by a business transaction, Ca
Julie
Kelly
My Darling Caroline is a darling of a romance. Complex characters as well as a deeply layered story. Although towards the end I was thinking things were wrapping up a bit to conveniently in the end it all came together perfectly.

Caroline is an interesting heroine she is a brilliant woman born with a gift for numbers and a love of botany. She is married off to Brent our hero who does not wish for a wife but is immediately attracted to Caroline. Both find that they are falling in love but who wil...more
Heather
This book was different from the typical historical romance. Caroline is clearly brilliant, and there is more than just the usual frustration with gender roles; it is outright bitterness that her intellect will never be acknowledged. Brent is just as strong as other heros, but he has a much softer side that isn't usually so exposed early on. He has a heightened sense of self, and his willingness to share that with Caroline make her attempts to push him away that much more frustrating. But Caroli...more
Amber
Oh. My. God. A romance novel where the tragic misunderstandings MAKE SENSE within the framework of the plot and characters!?! Be still my heart!
Seriously though, this is a fantastic marriage2true love story. The attraction and affection between the characters makes sense and you just can't stop rooting for them. Every mistake they make makes sense for their personalities. Strong female character, strong male character, and a simply wonderful story. Highly recommend.
Oh, and it doesn't hurt that t...more
Jaime West
BookBuyingAddict for my Blog
Well Brent is a hero you lust after, then you love him, then you hate him, then you want to kick him in the nut sack, repeatedly, then you love him and want to do anything for him.... "Oh, Brent, please take me now!!!"

Caroline is a Botanist, she is some what of a Genius at breeding flowers, and mathematics. But alas, she is a woman and it's not acceptable to have breasts and brains back then. Caroline is one of five blonde delicate daughters, and she's the only brune...more
mer
One of the best books I’ve ever read! Brilliant plot and brilliant writing indeed.

Updated 25/10/2011

This book has made a list to be one of my favourite books! So overall, the story is lovely and darling indeed. Caroline is a kind and gentle woman regardless of her dream to become renowned botanist. I loved her especially when she teaches her deaf daughter to learn sign language, her presence makes Brent and her sister finally fond with each other again after years in resentment, and her love tow...more
Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥
Adored it to the max!!! What makes Adele Ashworth's novel so yummy are the wonderful hero and heroine. The heroine is strong willed. She is forced into an arranged marriage with Brent Ravenscroft. She never realized that her body, soul and mind attracted strong to her husband.

Brent is a good man and respects Caroline's intelligence. I loved how he confesses to everyone that his wife was brilliant.

Better get out your wallet before this novel out of print ;-)
Michael
My Darling Caroline has interesting and deep characters, which I liked. What I didn't liked to was the endless misunderstandings the two leads had throughout the book. One good conversation and all this crap would have been fine. A decent book, but not a keeper for me.
Rose
Excellent, excellent book! Wow. JUST WOW!

I think Caroline may be one of my favorite heroines. I loved how her mind was ALWAYS working to analyze situations and moods, to cut to the chase and see the real problem.

This book isn't a typical romance in that there were instances where the roles were a bit reversed. Normally, it would be the hero who's believed to be a cheating, manipulative, ass before he comes to senses. But in this book, it was the heroine. The difference was refreshing.

In the en...more
Chanel11
I have steered clear of romance novels as I thought they wouldn't be a genre I would enjoy. When I read some reviews for this novel I thought I'd give it a try; as it turns out, romance is definitely not for me.

In all honesty, if you took out the HUGE amount of material related to sex, I would probably have given this a 3/5. All of the sex stuff just made it so corny and smutty. Some of the talk seemed so out of place for the period it was set in ('you are so sexy' and 'she's a good f**k' etc)....more
Maddux
I enjoyed this book and the characters. Character development was well done.

3.5 stars.
Missy Jane
I've been a fan of regencies almost since I started reading romance, but to be honest most of the heroes fall into the same categories. Not so with Brent Ravenscroft, Earl of Weymerth. He isn't a jaded rake or a filthy rich Duke. He is actually a thick-headed, tortured soul who doesn't have a clue how to communicate with his new wife Lady Caroline Grayson. Even more refreshing, the botanically-obsessed Caroline doesn't know what to do with him either. This was truly a romance worth reading just...more
Laine
i am so in love with this book. i love how brent and caroline were friends as they go through their married-life and in the end discovering how they cared for each other and realize that they love each other afraid of saying it. the lies and secrets they have definitely made the story worthwhile to read, even i didn't want to put the book down to know what will happen next. how i wish there is still a man like brent that exists in this world. brent being the gentleman and most romantic kind but...more
Trisha
Amazing! Loved this book! It was perfect! Just want I needed at the very moment. Beautifully written, with fantastic story line. I was UNIQUE! Different in such a refreshing manner, that I fell head over heals for this book. My first book of this author and I already LOVE her. Will definitely read more of her books.

Caroline is a brilliant young woman who is restricted by the society and rules of the time she lived in and honestly it is such a shame that their standards stopped a brilliant mind...more
Nicole
this was the best historical romance that i have read to date. i fell in love with brent and caroline almost immediately. i felt that their struggles were more realistic than the many other couples that i've read about. there were points in the story when my heart was beating right outta my chest! i found myself empathizing so deeply that i was physically responsive to the fear, pain, and joy that they were experiencing. i can't wait to read it again.
Elyse Mady
This book was painful. Erratic behaviour from both H&h, offensive, cruel and implausible seductions, historical inaccuracies so large you could drive a barouche through them. I couldn't finish it - the romance was stilted, the writing poor and the back story so laughably plotted, it made my teeth ache. It felt like some sort of a horrid throwback and I'm glad I only borrowed it from the library, rather than paying good money for it.
Brooke
My Darling Caroline by Adele Ashworth is a wonderfully written historical romance. It was unique to any I've rad before. Caroline is a spinster, considered unattractive by many, and, in her mid 20s, only interested in botany. She believes she will never marry and has secretly portrayed herself as a man to gain passage to America to study botany at a university there. She is brilliant with numbers and with plants, and has been considered 'odd' her whole life, so she is used to being an outcast.

L...more
Carolyn
I thought this was an awesome book. There were so many layers to the two main characters and Ms. Ashworth did a marvelous job slowly revealing each complicated layer of their personalities and their lives. This is a new printing which was first published in 1998. It is a rare gem!
Nonieღserenity2bliss
After a few misses of looking for a new historical writer to try, I think I may just find one that I actually really like!

I really enjoy the story and the characters, and I love the writer's style of writing. Will definitely be on the lookout for her other stuff ;)
Melanie
Loved it! Brent and Caroline are such a sweet couple, each tormented in their own way.. (Although I was ready to smack Brent at the end, lol).. And the side story with Rosalyn was very touching!
Maldivianbookreviewer
An absolute gem of a find. Loved this book.
My review: http://bit.ly/aVreBm
BookwormWithGoggles
I wasnt blown away by the other books I had read from this author. I had this one on my e-reader for months and thought I'd get to it at some point. I finally did today and it was a lovely surprise.
I read it in one go, didnt even stop to switch on the lights in my living room as the hours past. I read the last sentence and realised I was in darkness and that I was hungry because I had skipped dinner.
I loved the characters in this book. The heroine and hero were both such amazing characters and I...more
Gisele
What a darling book!
Este é o segundo livro da Adele Ashworth que leio. O primeiro, eu gostei, mas ele não conquistou meu coração, não como My Darling Caroline!

O tema de casamento por conveniência é super comum nos romances históricos e por esse motivo os livros com esse mote acabam por cair na mesmice, mas quando o autor sabe combinar esse tema a personagens com grande personalidade e profundidade, tudo fica bem diferente!

A história aqui é o seguinte. Caroline é um gênio. Sim ela é incrivelmente...more
Sabrina (Soter) Sally
"Le prese il viso tra le mani e si chinò a sfiorarle le labbra. — Fidati di me — la implorò. Lei annuì impercettibilmente e sussurrò: — Mi fido. In quell'istante Weymerth capì di appartenerle come non era mai appartenuto a nessuno."

Primo libro che leggo della Ashworth e l'ho letteralmente divorato e adorato *__* Il matrimonio tra Caroline e Brent viene combinato dal padre di lei grazie al ricatto: infatti Brent è costretto a sposare Caroline per riavere...i suoi amati cavalli XD Caroline è quel...more
Lady Marielle
Reminded me of the books my mother rent when I was young, and I read (maybe without her knowing) when she's done. Too romantic/sexy for my taste then, but these stories intrigued me in reading more. Now that I am of age, it still fills me with that romantic longing, of idyllic love stories that can only be read from pocketbooks.

The book was awarded the best first book of 1998 among the Romance Writers of America. Can't help imagining the likes of Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman playing the leads...more
  • Lord Ruin
  • Destined to Last (Providence, #4)
  • Tallie's Knight
  • Entwined (The Ten, #1)
  • In for a Penny
  • The Notorious Scoundrel (The Hawkins Brothers #2)
  • To Tempt a Saint (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Admiral's Penniless Bride
  • Miss Winthorpe's Elopement (Belston & Friends #1)
  • Untie My Heart
  • Bound by Your Touch
  • Once a Gentleman (Ladies' Fashionable Cabinet, #3)
  • Courting Miss Hattie
  • The Earl's Untouched Bride
  • Bought: The Penniless Lady  (Gentlemen of Fortune, #2)
  • Seduced By His Touch (The Byrons of Braebourne, #2)
  • The Earl's Dilemma
  • Tapestry
Adele Budnick was born in 1963. She has always felt she's led a rather dull life on her road to becoming a romance author. Unfortunately, she's also often been wrong.

From the first time she stepped onstage to sing Petula Clark's "Downtown" for a crowd (at the age of three in a Juarez, Mexico, hotel restaurant, dancing on the table at the urging of the Spanish-speaking waitresses), she knew she was...more
More about Adele Ashworth...
Winter Garden (Winter Garden #2) Duke of Sin (Duke Trilogy, #1) The Duke's Indiscretion (Duke Trilogy, #3) The Duke's Captive (Winter Garden #4) Duke of Scandal (Duke Trilogy, #2)

“You deserve a husband who wants you, Caroline, just as you are, and you know I do. But as much as I need you, I don’t want you if you’re here right now from a feeling of guilt, or pity, or some odd sense of self-righteousness or duty.” He abruptly glanced down once again to his brandy. “Because I also believe, even with my numerous faults, that I deserve a wife who wants me in return, just as I am. Anything less isn’t worth the pain.” 7 likes
“I'm still furious with you," she murmured, kissing a line down his chest.
"Oh, God, please don't be furious," he choked out quickly. "Every female I know is furious with me. Rosalyn throws tantrums, and Charlotte hasn't spoken to me or written since you left." He moved his hands to unbutton her gown. "The morning I thought you'd sailed out of my life I started drinking and didn't stop until I'd finished two bottles. For three days I had a blistering headache, and Nedda couldn't for the life of her stop banging things." He groaned. "And I can't even begin to tell you about your sisters.”
7 likes