Start by marking “Snowbound” as Want to Read:
Snowbound

Snowbound

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  297 ratings  ·  27 reviews
“The policewoman got shot and she’s bleeding everywhere. Get someone here in one hour or I’m going to put her out of her misery.”

An ultimatum that forever changes the lives of police officer Sam Lucas and Dr. Kate Myles.

When heavy snowfall isolates the small English village of Birchenlow, a violent robbery shatters the community. Taken as a hostage and stranded with the in
Published December 20th 2011 by Bold Strokes Books (first published December 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Snowbound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snowbound

Cab
First let me admit that I had been avoiding this book. I’ve read the book description a couple of times and it’s never really grabbed me. Then I hit period where the books I’ve been attempting to read just haven’t been keeping my attention so I took a break, but the online book group I am a member of selected this as the May book. Yet, I still wasn’t thrilled. Let me openly apologize to the author now:
***********
Dear Cari,

Snowbound was an excellent debut book. I downloaded the book Sunday night,
Megan
August 2012 - Read this for a third time (First time because it sounded interesting, second because it was a Book of the Month Club selection, third because I was doing a review show on it). It stands up to multiple readings. Why are you reading reviews ... just pick this one up.

*****

Definitely recommended.

I really enjoyed this book - it is so not a standard lesfic.

The book is seperated into two major parts - After a quick introduction of the two main characters, Hunter starts off with a prett
Voronwer
This is a lovely book. Yes, it's a romance story, but it stands out from the others (and not just because it's set in England). It's a great read. The book is about more than just the romance and there's enough tension to keep the plot interesting. The mix of romance story and action story works really well. The story doesn't suffer from overly cliché tenses and eyerolling descriptions. It's not an instant crush and attraction that overrules everything, but more of a quiet, believable growth. Th ...more
Pin
Fast paced with some well-done dramatic scenes, strong and likable main characters, nice love story... Great read. I look forward to more great stories from this author.
Leavethesky
Although well-written, the pacing and plotting on this was a bit off. This is the author's first novel, which probably explains a great deal of the awkwardness. I'd definitely be willing to read a second. It's essentially a thriller (or two thrillers) with an awkwardly paced romance added on. Everything feels right until the first hostage scene is complete and one of our protags is in the hospital while the other (a doctor) cares for her. Instead of a natural progression to romance, this author ...more
Clare Ashton
This novel has a great dramatic and vivid opening, and the novel's first-half hostage scene, with its grim detail of the hostages' injuries and treatment, was what made this book stand out for me. It has very convincing scenes where the heroines are suffering and their lives are in danger - gripping, sickening and fantastic stuff.

The second half of the novel is a more standard romance, but by this time I had been fully drawn into the relationship between the characters and I think I would have
Morgan
A very well written story that is a little heavy on the hurt/comfort, but the dialogue is fresh and extremely witty and the characters are fully fleshed out. The subject matter is intense, but I found myself not wanting to put the book down. Highly recommended!
M
For some reason I have been putting off reading this novel but I am glad that I decided to spend a very enjoyable weekend, finishing this book at about 3am in the morning.

This is a great read.

I am most certainly biased in that I am British, but I loved this story. I particularly loved the use of dialogue and humour throughout the novel, as this was excellent and completely placed you in the moment with it's realistic tone. I caught the author's interview on the Cocktail Hour podcast, so I know t
Alena
Enjoyed this one. Really liked the thriller aspect of this, it was very fast-paced and held my attention.

However, here I am a couple of days later and I'm already fuzzy on things, so it doesn't really stick around. Which is totally ok, I was just surprised that this was the case as I didn't have the time to jot down my thoughts right when I finished reading.
T.T. Thomas
Apr 27, 2012 T.T. Thomas rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers of Good Writing
Shelves: glbt
Taut and thoroughly engaging story that combines the tension of a thriller with the romance of two people brought together by circumstance, bound together by stark fear and bonded through a dawning mutual attraction that is a once tender and passionate.

Others have summed up the storyline, but I'd like to comment on the writing--it's excellent. Hunter's pacing is flawless, and she creates the perfect mood of ever-present threat through the careful use of sparseness and physical discomfort, charac
Fin
Decent story, decent characters.

Most of what action there was took place at the beginning of the book and then it got bogged down in the hospital scenes and then tried to turn into a romance.

Because the book was trying to be a thriller, medical drama, romance, etc, it ended up being none of those and that really hurt it.

I never got a sense of the characters. What they looked like, who they were outside of crisis or hospital setting. What did Kate look like, what did Sam look like? Who were they
Nikki
I very much enjoyed this one. The first half was full of suspense and action, and even though the second have had much less so, the author was able to keep me engaged throughout.

The writing flowed well, and the author was able to show her knowledge of medical treatments without beating the reader over the head with medical jargon, which happens far too often, in my opinion. I will definitely read more from this author, as I could not put this down.
Jenifer
I definitely loved this book! It had so much of what I love in a book, suspense, action, strong females,and beautiful romance! I would recommend this book to anyone, even if they were not into lesbian romances, that's not just why the book is wonderful; she keeps you on the edge of your seat. I am a fan of Ms. Hunter now, and I do hope that we wont have to wait too long for another book by her:)
Trin
Bloody hell, really love this book! I'm going to be fan of Cari Hunter now.
Ok, honest review, the beginning quite boring, and only until Kate went to the barn then all started to be exciting, thrilling, and so glad that the author keep the story realistic, and not a typical exaggerated action story. The only thing i hate in this story is the useless cops.
Stevie Carroll
A very British thriller with a gently simmering lesbian romance at its heart. I loved the descriptions of both heroines' families, friends and cats and the very typical British winter in which everything grinds to a halt in the snow. Being set in a part of the world I know well just added to the enjoyment.
girlwithglasses
Capably enough written, but the structure of the book meant that the majority of the tension was in the first half, and the second half was relatively flat. I knew the leads would get it together in the end, and I was half-tempted to abandon the book after the mid-point as the story lost all its vitality.
Cheri
Very much enjoyed this book. Fast paced and some pretty intense scenes. Well written. I recommend it.

That about sums it up but if you want to read more, my full review is here: http://reviews.c-spot.net/archives/4090
Carrie Carr
Very well-told story. I would have given it 5 stars, but some of the vernacular was a bit confusing for this Texan :-) I am looking forward to seeing more from the author - can't believe it was a debut novel!
Heidi
Loved these characters. Extreme conditions throw these characters together, and as events unfold love grows. Read in a day, started the story and I just had to keep reading to see what would happen next.
Ulla
This is a really skillfully written novel, and for a first it's great. I wanted to give it 3,4 stars. Though really well written I found the story lacking . . . a bit slow and boring, actually!
V.T. Davy
I hope my debut novel turns out this good. I was feeling a bit flat and this was just the self-indulgence I needed to cheer me up!
Kirsty
This is a stonking good read! I couldn't put it down, I didn't want to put it down because what the hell was going to happen next.
B.L. Newport
"Snowbound" is a fast paced story. Once everything gets set into motion, it is hard to put down.
Jenny
This book kept me interested from start to finish.
Alena
Great book, impossible to put down!
Tara
Not my favourite style of this genre
Lynn
Loved it.
Steffi
Steffi marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Elma Young
Elma Young marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Anne Quenneville
Anne Quenneville marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Mostly Lesfic: Snowbound - Cari Hunter 40 39 May 28, 2012 11:41AM
  • Conflict of Interest
  • Hell's Highway
  • Rainey Nights  (Rainey Bell, #2)
  • Ice
  • Hunter's Pursuit
  • The Devil Unleashed (Cain Casey, #2)
  • Parties in Congress
  • Dust
  • Wasted Heart
  • Hostage Moon
  • Shield of Justice (Justice, #1)
  • Deaths of Jocasta (Micky Knight, #2)
  • Without Warning (Shaken, #1)
  • A Pirate's Heart
Cari Hunter lives in the northwest of England with her partner, two cats, and a pond full of frogs. She works full-time as a paramedic and dreams up stories in her spare time.

Cari enjoys long, wind-swept, muddy walks in her beloved Peak District and forces herself to go jogging regularly. In the summer she can usually be found sitting in the garden with her feet up, scribbling in her writing pad.
More about Cari Hunter...
Desolation Point Tumbledown No Good Reason (The Dark Peak, #1) Cold to the Touch (The Dark Peak, #2)