Start by marking “Crescendo (Song of the Fallen, #2)” as Want to Read:
Crescendo (Song of the Fallen, #2)

Crescendo (Song of the Fallen #2)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  895 ratings  ·  121 reviews
Bridging the hatred of centuries did not come easy for Freyrík Farr and Ayden Vaska. As prince of a war-torn human province, Freyrík could ill afford to fall for an enemy. And Ayden, an elven warrior with three hundred years of bitterness in his heart, wanted no part of love. Yet they came together despite themselves and the wills of their peoples, joining hearts and minds ...more
Published July 10th 2011 by Guiltless Pleasure Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Crescendo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crescendo

Luck in the Shadows by Lynn FlewellingCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatStalking Darkness by Lynn FlewellingCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatTruth in the Dark by Amy Lane
Best Gay Fantasy Romance
52nd out of 459 books — 829 voters
Captive Prince by C.S. PacatDuck! by Kim DareBloodraven by P.L. NunnCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatConcubine by Jill Knowles
Best Gay Slaves
44th out of 206 books — 803 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather C
Finally! Finally! Finally!

After waiting forever (okay, I admit that its actually been less than 6 months) Ayden and Freyrik finally get their Happily Ever After...or is it merely a Happy For Now? (Rachel, will you please stop torturing me!) I will admit that I was really nervous about reading this. Not because I don't trust Rachel, but because I've had several bad experiences with sequels over the past few months. This sequel did not disappoint!

The story begins about 3 weeks following the end o
Lori K
What a great series. I hate to see it end but this book is perfect, I wouldn't change a thing. Well maybe I would (view spoiler).

Seregil
This is the sequel of "Counterpoint", which ended with a cliffhanger, and it's about the hunky protagonists being called before the Big Boss of the humans. They have to pretend they're not in love with each other and the elf gets cut off from his magic, which is quite ... unpleasant for him.
To be honest I liked the second book less. It focused more on the hate between humans and elves and the intrigue at the human court than on the romance. This wouldn't be a bad thing, but the whole situation
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Awwww! Beautiful!

The writing is really a part of the story and it enters your mind, holds your hand and takes you to another world, another place. There's also a fine humorous vein that made the darker moments a bit lighter. It was as if the author was telling the story whispering in my ear, but the writing is not shy at all. It's intimate and personal, the perfect instrument for the narration.

In the previous book, Ayden and Freyrik had to face their own prejudice and that of Freyrik's people t
¸. • * ° *❧Gwen❧ •°**★
4 Captivating Stars!

I love fantasy books that have a door, that allows one to step in and disappear for a few hours or in this case days. That's what this book did for me.

ULTIMATE ESCAPISM . Perfect.

Book 2...starts where book one left off , and that works for me.
this one is the journey to high court. The romance is sweet. The journey is political (not my fav) but for me the ending closes things up, fantasy style. HEA. WORKS for me.....*sigh* and it was.....so very~

*P*u*r*p*l*e* Masochist
~Arc provided via Netgalley in exchange for honest review~

"...and suddenly it didn't matter that their songs couldn't twine when their bodies and hearts and minds fit so perfectly, harmonized so exquisitely well. He hung in the moment, a perfect crescendo, and wanted for absolutely nothing."

Crescendo- A steady increase in intensity or force; a gradual increase in the loudness of a sound or section of music.

The 2nd and the final installment in the Songs of the Fallen series had everything I f
Tere
I'm so mad with this book!!! Rather, with the author. I read Counterpoint last year while reading Prisoner because I was trying to make Bloodraven last as much as possible, it was like my fantasypaloza. In retrospective, I think while I liked all three books, Bloodraven being my absolutely favourite, Counterpoint was my less favourite, hence, I read the second part several months after.

Like I said, I'm MAD, even more after reading the acknowledgments because Rachel said this was a three years p
Kathleen
Nov 27, 2011 Kathleen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kathleen by: Moderatrix Lori
Shelves: fantasy
I re-read Counterpoint for the bingo challenge and that one ends so up in the air I had to read this immediately. =) Rachel does not disappoint. She evokes emotion so viscerally I spent about middle third of the book close to tears as Rik dealt with being powerless to help those he loves and Ayden dealt with the hopelessness of being captive and as they both did their best to do what was necessary for their people while remaining true to each other. I have to admit though, the ending seemed rush ...more
DarienMoya
^^EXPLOSIVE AND YUMMY CONCLUSION!^^

4.5

More of my reviews and ramblings at PANTS OFF REVIEWS

Miss Haimowitz has got it, she has outdone herself in this one when it comes to the writing. She could have given us an easy HEA, an easy road for both Freyrik and Ayden but man if she didn’t blow all of that out the water. These lovers were pushed beyond what they could handle and for a little bit man and elf looked as if they were not going to make it. This action packed epic tale will keep you on your
Em
I enjoyed reading this one even more than the first, it had a lot more angst and the last 20% or so was full of nail biting action. Freyrík and Ayden are closer than they have ever been and determined to appreciate every second they have together in case it's their last. I was a bit anxious about the ending and how it could possibly turn out alright for them but I couldn't be happier!

Dreamer
Unputdownable sequel to Counterpoint. Great tale of m/m romance and epic fantasy adventure.

"You have never laid your pride down, Freyrik. Not once, for me or anyone. You don't know what it means to give that up, even for a moment. And yet you ask it of me again and again! Tell me, Freyrik, what more can you wring from me? Have I not done enough for you to trust me, gods crack you?"

Re-read 14th April 2013
Jeff Erno
Crescendo is book two of the Song of the Fallen Series and is the conclusion of Freyrik and Ayden’s love story. Book one ends with Freyrik being summoned to High Court, where he must face his superiors and account for his actions. Both Freyrik and Ayden realize that their relationship may be in jeopardy and are uncertain of their future as a couple.

When they arrive at High Court, immediately they are separated, and Ayden is stripped of all his magical powers. Ayden’s human captors use a form of
Kesha
It was a terrible idea to start off EXACTLY where the first book left off. That in itself seemed very unimaginative, boring and rushed.

Again, the setting was very believable (the writing was the same but easy to ignore) but the characters where everything but! I had lots of issues with the Aegis (view spoiler)
Ili Anuar
I wanted to like this book. I really did but it was such a frustrating and torturous read. I think it lacks the actions and the thrill of the first book.
Things I liked:
1)Ayden!!!
2)The Elven Kingdom. I wish they had spent more time here instead of the High Court.

Things that made me pull my hair out:
1)Freyrik. It’s frustrating to see how he failed Ayden time and time again. He should have shown at least a bit of backbone and stood his ground. At some point I think Ayden would be better off without
❂ Endless
I think Ms. Haimowitz loves to invoke very strong emotions in her readers. There were several instances where i simply put the book down and did not want to read further 'cos i was led to believe that horrendous events lay ahead which i would be better off not reading. It's kinda like the stimulus of closing your eyes tight right before something hits you and you saw it coming a split sec in advance.

But...!!!! I picked up the book again and again from where I left off multiple times and finis
Dee Wy
This sequel to Counterpoint does not disappoint. Freyrik and Ayden continue to face many challenges, first from Freyrik's people, especially their supreme ruller and then from Ayden's Elvin people as well. Together they continue to support each other, though circumstances often make them wonder if that support can possibly continue.

Overall this was an exciting read that had me wanting to knock my head against a wall in frustration at all the setbacks and punishment they endured and at other time
Marc
Song of the Fallen Series Review:

The Covers: The new covers are very beautiful! Perfect art for fantasy stories. I find it most amazing that the artist Simoné managed to capture an aspect of the novels that is extremely important, but does not naturally translate to graphic art. Sounds. Songs. Music. Everything has it’s own song for those able to listen and in the first cover the elf is almost glowing with music and power surrounding him, in the second cover it is very significant that he seems
Chris
4.5 stars. Very good m/m fantasy romance picking right up where the first book left off, as a human prince-regent and his elven lover-slave try to find their way through deceit and betrayal and perhaps save both their races.
Scarletine
First, I have to have a moan about the cover for this book...what were they thinking? Freyrick's face looks like a photograph of some bloke that hs been poorly photoshopped into the painting. WHY do m/m books have such crappy covers? It bugs me beacuse it does the book and the author a diservice. This is a fantastic book. I absolutely LOVED IT! The crappy cover will prevent some readers even considering reading it, which is such a shame. 'Crescendo' is a fantastic sequel to 'Counterpoint'. It co ...more
Liz
I agree with most of the positive reviews given about these two books but I can't help but feel a little cheated at the end. I felt the ending was rushed, anti-climatic and it left me feeling a jest wee bit unsatisfied.

In the final few pages we have (view spoiler)
Jenre
I really loved the first book in this duology: Counterpoint and have been looking forward to reading this second book. Both books have to be taken together to complete the story and the first book left on rather a cliff hanger. It's been frustrating to say the least that I've had to wait for this book to be written and then, once it was out, had to wait through some other reviewing commitments before I had to get to it!

The story follows on directly from book 1. Freyrik, prince of Farr has been s
Jaya
SlashReaders: One of my biggest problems with these books is actually the cover of the first one. While, it is a lovely picture (the cover art for both books was done by Nathie, whom you can find on Deviant-Art), unfortunately I like to be able to carry my book around without worrying about which co-worker or family member might pick it up. Mostly, because I honestly just don't want to hear the tirades that might come out of various people's mouths. So, while the cover art is lovely I would pref ...more
Christina
Diane
I just loved this book! I loved the characters of Ayden and Freyrik. Their relationship was just so wonderful. Warm and loving and trusting. I liked the way the first book of this series (Counterpoint)was about the way that Ayden and Ric started out as enemies, but came to love and trust one another.This love and trust was really put to the test in this second novel in which they are summoned to High court and Ayden had to play the part of slave instead of lover to Freyrik. They are sent on a jo ...more
Don Bradshaw
This was an amazing HEA ending to a terrific fantasy series. Just as Freyrik was going to let Ayden escape back to his people, he is summoned to the capital city. Forced to bring Ayden with him as a slave by the Aegis or king of all kings, Freyrik is caught up in court politics. Ayden is stripped of his song and beaten, abused and almost killed. Freyrik's allegiances are split between his love for his brother and the Aegis when a plot to assassinate the Aegis is formed. The tables are soon turn ...more
Cat
OMG I don't know what to say. This book was freaking amazing. I love these characters. This book was a whirlwind, rollercoaster and a freaking earthquake rolled into one and I loved every minute of it. The bond of love and trust that is between these two is amazing. Through humilation,Hate, Torture, Exhile and possible death they keep going strong because of there love of each other and belief that no matter what they will be together in the end whenever the end shall come. This book picked up r ...more
Mercedes

I didn't like how everything gets swept up under the rug at the end. The plot is literally solved in the last 2% of the book with a handy epilogue. What's the point of the plot then if it gets wrapped up neatly off page?
Jerry
Intense is how I would describe the second and concluding story of Freyrik and Aden. I waited a long time for this novel and it was well worth the wait. What unimaginable physical and mental struggles these two have to go thru! Such intensity of pain each endures on the others behalf. Such internal struggles they each go thru thinking the other does not know, cannot know, does not care...but somehow they remain true to each other and tip the balance for good and evil in their world. A book to sa ...more
BhaktiM
I don't understand how this works. I know I already put in my comments for this. Maybe the ipad app is not in sync with the computer, I don't know. Regarless, I loved this book and it has two of my favorite all time characters. It was at least as good as the Hunger Games.
Timeforme
An excellent continuation of the story started in Counterpoint. The story telling is taut and the plot well drawn. I would hope that at some point in the future we might learn the story of at least some of the elf slaves that received their freedom at the end of this book.
Crescendo ending *spoilers* 3 33 May 18, 2013 03:44AM
  • Counterpunch (Belonging, #2)
  • Lord of the White Hell (Lord of the White Hell, #2)
  • Dynasty of Ghosts
  • Mariner's Luck (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #2)
  • The Lodestar of Ys
  • Dream (Aisling, #2)
  • Bound (Kria, #2)
  • Sacred Fate (Chronicles of Ylandre #1)
  • Lords of Kellesborne (The Draegan Lords, #2)
  • Brute
  • The Bonding (Gaven, #2)
  • Captive Prince: Volume Two (Captive Prince, #2)
  • Spoils of War (Spoils of War, #1)
M/M erotic romance author, freelance writer and editor, sadist with a pesky conscience, shamelessly silly, proudly pervish. I'm a twitter addict (@rachelhaimowitz), and I blog every M/W/F at Fantasy Unbound. To learn all about my current and upcoming projects, please stop by my website. I love to hear from folks, so feel free to drop me a line anytime at metarachel (at) gmail (dot) com.
More about Rachel Haimowitz...

Song of the Fallen (2 books)
  • Counterpoint (Song of the Fallen, #1)
Counterpoint (Song of the Fallen, #1) Resistance (Power Play, #1) Power Play: Awakening (Power Play, #2) The Flesh Cartel #1: Capture Anchored (Belonging, #1)

“Dark beasts, night terrors, and Ayden with manners? These woods were
terrifying indeed.”
7 likes
We? 'Twas me who found the marks, not you, not any of you Aegean fools. And your king is the biggest fool of all, for if he'd deigned to unbind me before he sent us here to die, I could have listened for what we seek and followed it that way. Now I am as impotent as you."
If considerably less ugly and stupid.
3 likes