Paint Your Dragon

Paint Your Dragon

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  319 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The cosmic battle between Good and Evil ... But suppose Evil threw the fight? And suppose Good cheated?

Sculptress Bianca Wilson is a living legend. St George is also a legend, but not quite so living. However, when Bianca's sculpture of the patron saint and his scaly chum gets a bit too 'life-like', it opens up a whole new can of wyrms... The Dragon knows that Evil got a r...more
Published June 5th 1997 by Orbit (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Paint Your Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paint Your Dragon

JackieB
Very funny but it was also exploring the nature of good and evil. The nature of good and evil theme confused me though. At first Tom Holt was using St George and the dragon in their legendary (English) roles and we appeared to be looking at good and evil in a cultural sense. Then he introduced a coachload of demons and references to heaven and remembered that St George was one of the Christian saints. He seemed to be saying that good and evil are defined by religions. That's when I started to ge...more
Tatum
Jan 19, 2012 Tatum rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone, Humourous Fantasy Fans
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2012
Take Saint George, The Dragon, a feisty female sculptress, a bandit who steals and resells Time, statues that come to life, a group of demons on vacation and a legendary mercenary. Put them all in in modern day England for the rematch of the millennium. Mix well with a healthy dose of humour.

That's what you get with Paint Your Dragon. It's a lighthearted, funny, easy to read book that takes perceptions and turns them upside down. If you don't mind a little irreverence and an occasional swear wor...more
Zogman
I used to like Tom Holt and read a lot of his books. I decided to reprise my association with his type of humour. At about 65% progress in the book (Kindle) I remembered why I gave up reading Tom Holt. The books are always innovative and for a while his quirky sense of humour works well, but it does begin to wear after a while. Towards the end the genius of Holt comes back online. Good v Bad is never simply black and white, there are always shades of grey. Luckily not 50 Shades of Grey though!
Claire
One I've tried to read several times. I struggled with this one more than some of his more recent stuff I've read, I don't know whether it was the subject matter, or just because his style has changed since he wrote this. But it was still very good! So glad I can finally tick it off.
Matt
One of my favourite Tom Holt ones about two statues (A dragon and St George) that come to life. The dragon just wants to be left alone, while St George enjoys trying to use the modern advances in weaponry to blow it out the sky.
Isabel
Featuring a replay of the epic conflict between Saint George and the Dragon, along with statues coming to life, a possessed computer and some unexpectedly successful demon summoning by English devil-worshippers.
Dark-Draco
Brilliant! Good V Evil - but who's who? A bad saint and a good Dragon - you know it's going to be fun. I read this straight, over a couple of days, and found myself giggling aloud on occasion.
oOSarahOo
I just LOVE Tom Holt! His books are always absolutely wacky and this one was no exception. I thought the demons on their paid holiday from Hell were particularly hilarious:)
Crusader
An enjoyable enough read that pokes fun at the perception of good and evil. Nice light reading for when you need a break. If you like Pratchett you'll like this too.
Ghazala Ansari
concept's crazy as usual and enjoyed the reading, but i thought the punch was missing - something that one just naturally expects from a tom holt.
Simon
Dull indeed. Put me off trying anything else by this author.
Mollie
Feb 27, 2009 Mollie marked it as wishlist  ·  review of another edition
Paint Your Dragon by Tom Holt (1997)
Tom Koffer
Tom Koffer marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Matt Beaven
Matt Beaven marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Nadia Klima
Nadia Klima marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Guernsey Zoo
Guernsey Zoo marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Jason Roberts
Jason Roberts marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
  • Snuff Fiction
  • Disenchanted
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • Incompetence
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook
Tom Holt (Thomas Charles Louis Holt; born September 13, 1961) is a British novelist.
He was born in London, the son of novelist Hazel Holt, and was educated at Westminster School, Wadham College, Oxford, and The College of Law, London.
Holt's works include mythopoeic novels which parody or take as their theme various aspects of mythology, history or literature and develop them in new and often humor...more
More about Tom Holt...
The Portable Door Expecting Someone Taller You Don't Have to Be Evil to Work Here, But it Helps In Your Dreams Earth, Air, Fire and Custard

“. . . Birmingham City Council was playing third time lucky with the design of the city's celebrated Victoria Square . . .” 1 likes