Start by marking “Ye Gods!” as Want to Read:
Ye Gods!

Ye Gods!

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  848 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Being a hero bothers Jason. It's easy to get maladjusted when your mum's a suburban housewife and your dad's the Supreme Being. It can be a drag slaying fabulous monsters and retrieving golden fleeces from dragons, and then having to tidy your room before your mum'll let you watch "Star Trek".
Published January 28th 1993 by Orbit (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Ye Gods!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ye Gods!

American Gods by Neil GaimanGood Omens by Terry PratchettDracula by Bram StokerThe Stand by Stephen KingThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
Theological Weird Fiction
66th out of 221 books — 176 voters
The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettGuards! Guards! by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Best Humorous Fantasy and Science Fiction
153rd out of 202 books — 207 voters

More lists with this book...

Apr 05, 2008 Jared rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jared by: someone on a funny fantasy thread on
Shelves: fantasy
I'm very surprised that nobody has written a review of this book, yet. In the hopes that this will be useful to someone, here goes.

For me, reading Tom Holt's Ye Gods is another attempt to find a funny fantasy writer like Terry Pratchett. The book actually reminded me of some of Pratchett's earlier Discworld books (for example, The Color of Magic, The Light Fantastic): short on plot, long on silliness, with a few insights sprinkled here and there.

The plot is very similar to the Percy Jackson book
So I think standard humor just isn't for me. I probay sound ridiculously picky or pedantic, but humor by itself just isn't enough to carry a story for me. It feels like eating potato chips - all the motions of food, but no actual substance or nutritional value.

Was this funny? Yeah, I guess, at points. And the story itself was unique, even if the style of humor wasn't. It just felt like there wasn't much of a story there, and there weren't really any characters that felt fleshed out enough for me
Jennifer Heise
If you've gotten burnt out on the powers of the Greek gods a la Rick Riordan, this paean to the powers of aggro may be for you. It's not unlike Gods Behaving Badly, but funnier and rather less sordid.
Nathan Dehoff
I’m currently in the process of reading Rick Riordan’s latest book, The House of Hades, but Holt actually wrote about Greco-Roman gods and demigod heroes in the modern world before Riordan ever did. In the world presented by this book, the gods have basically retired, although they are still able to affect events in the mortal world through the games they play. The main protagonist is Jason Derry, the son of Jupiter (with a few exceptions, Holt sticks to the Roman names) and a suburban housewife ...more
The combination of themes in this made my head spin! Can understand why Jason was so aggravated by the end.
Steve Mitchell
Jason Derry is a hero; his real father is none other than Jupiter. Jupiter is a nasty piece of work really, chaining Prometheus to a mountain just for bringing fire to the human race; except that is not all he did. Prometheus also told the first joke! He gave the humans a sense of humour with which they could literally laugh in the face of the gods; and the gods want it back!
This book starts slowly and finishes more with a whimper than a bang; but there is more than enough fun and frolics in the
Tim Schneider
This is the weakest book that I've read by Holt thus far. Not that there was anything inherently wrong with it. It just always felt like a bit of a chore to pick it up and read it. None of the characters really captured me. The situation wasn't so interesting that I felt compelled to keep reading as opposed to doing something else.

It was just kind of there.

Jason is a hero who is pushed around by the gods, the enemies of the gods and his mum. This book is the tale of what happens when he finally cracks, and why he is fated to do so. As ever, there are puns galore from Holt, and I hope that a name check for Thyrestes is a good omen for the crossword competition in which he was the last answer! I'll let you know ...
Katrina F
I wanted to like this book, but all I could think while reading it is that Tom Holt lacks the inexplicable thing that makes Terry Prachett and Douglas Adams so brilliant.
Not my favorite fantasy satire. Had some neat ideas throughout but just not one I'll be wanting to visit again. May be worth a read in a market dominated by Pratchett.
Yes, another Tom holt novel. not high literature by any stretch of the imagination, but packed with funny jokes and puns that would make you groan. Great fun to read!
Yet another Holt book that I enjoyed from cover to cover. I'm only sad that I haven't discovered him earlier, as now I have a ton of catching up to do.
Tom Holt has a lot of fun messing about with Greek gods in the modern world. The pace never lets up and it's often very funny, if a little silly.
Funny. And, Holt sustains the style, plot, characters throughout the entire book (a long one). I didn't feel any parts of it were lagging.
Freya Roberts
Fantastical blending of Classical mythology and modern suburban life, Jason Derry's trials and tribulations as the son of Jupiter.
The humorous mythical style reminds me of Neil Gaiman. Enjoying it very much so far
One of the strangest books i have ever read... In a good way.
Cc Barrett
Really excellent humor and writing and they are easy reads.
A.D. Starrling
Bizarre, funny. One of the best novels by this author.
Funny book, but the ending left me dissatisfied
Oct 30, 2011 Sweetdhee marked it as to-read
five thousands
at jatinegara
Christy Mackenzie
Christy Mackenzie marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Joe added it
Nov 24, 2015
Liz H
Liz H marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Nigel Oates
Nigel Oates marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Borgar marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Bea marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
  • The Da Da De Da Da Code
  • Discworld Fools' Guild Diary 2001
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy
Tom Holt (Thomas Charles Louis Holt; born September 13, 1961) is a British novelist.
He was born in London, the son of novelist Hazel Holt, and was educated at Westminster School, Wadham College, Oxford, and The College of Law, London.
Holt's works include mythopoeic novels which parody or take as their theme various aspects of mythology, history or literature and develop them in new and often humor
More about Tom Holt...

“Among the gods, there is a dispute as to which one of them originally thought of Christianity; or, as they call it, the Great Leg Pull. Apollo has the best claim, but a sizeable minority support Pluto, ex-God of the Dead, on the grounds that he has a really sick sense of humour.

How would it be, suggested the unidentified god, if first we tell them all to love their neighbour, pack in the killing and thieving, and be nice to each other. Then we let them start burning heretics.”