Start by marking “Ye Gods!” as Want to Read:
Ye Gods!

Ye Gods!

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  955 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Being a hero bothers Jason. It's easy to get maladjusted when your mum's a suburban housewife and your dad's the Supreme Being. It can be a drag slaying fabulous monsters and retrieving golden fleeces from dragons, and then having to tidy your room before your mum'll let you watch "Star Trek".
Published January 28th 1993 by Orbit (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Ye Gods!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ye Gods!

American Gods by Neil GaimanGood Omens by Terry PratchettThe Stand by Stephen KingThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisDracula by Bram Stoker
Theological Weird Fiction
59th out of 245 books — 205 voters
The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettGuards! Guards! by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Best Humorous Fantasy and Science Fiction
188th out of 237 books — 238 voters

More lists with this book...

Jared
Apr 05, 2008 Jared rated it liked it
Recommended to Jared by: someone on a funny fantasy thread on amazon.com
Shelves: fantasy
I'm very surprised that nobody has written a review of this book, yet. In the hopes that this will be useful to someone, here goes.

For me, reading Tom Holt's Ye Gods is another attempt to find a funny fantasy writer like Terry Pratchett. The book actually reminded me of some of Pratchett's earlier Discworld books (for example, The Color of Magic, The Light Fantastic): short on plot, long on silliness, with a few insights sprinkled here and there.

The plot is very similar to the Percy Jackson book
Rebecca
Nov 17, 2014 Rebecca rated it liked it
So I think standard humor just isn't for me. I probay sound ridiculously picky or pedantic, but humor by itself just isn't enough to carry a story for me. It feels like eating potato chips - all the motions of food, but no actual substance or nutritional value.

Was this funny? Yeah, I guess, at points. And the story itself was unique, even if the style of humor wasn't. It just felt like there wasn't much of a story there, and there weren't really any characters that felt fleshed out enough for me
Jennifer Heise
Mar 23, 2014 Jennifer Heise rated it it was amazing
If you've gotten burnt out on the powers of the Greek gods a la Rick Riordan, this paean to the powers of aggro may be for you. It's not unlike Gods Behaving Badly, but funnier and rather less sordid.
Nathan Dehoff
Nov 20, 2013 Nathan Dehoff rated it really liked it
I’m currently in the process of reading Rick Riordan’s latest book, The House of Hades, but Holt actually wrote about Greco-Roman gods and demigod heroes in the modern world before Riordan ever did. In the world presented by this book, the gods have basically retired, although they are still able to affect events in the mortal world through the games they play. The main protagonist is Jason Derry, the son of Jupiter (with a few exceptions, Holt sticks to the Roman names) and a suburban housewife ...more
Sasha
Nov 29, 2015 Sasha rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, humour, mythology
A less funnny and more confusing version of Terry Pratchett's Small Gods.
Sophie
Aug 10, 2015 Sophie rated it really liked it
Shelves: alt-reality
The combination of themes in this made my head spin! Can understand why Jason was so aggravated by the end.
Steve Mitchell
Jul 29, 2011 Steve Mitchell rated it really liked it
Jason Derry is a hero; his real father is none other than Jupiter. Jupiter is a nasty piece of work really, chaining Prometheus to a mountain just for bringing fire to the human race; except that is not all he did. Prometheus also told the first joke! He gave the humans a sense of humour with which they could literally laugh in the face of the gods; and the gods want it back!
This book starts slowly and finishes more with a whimper than a bang; but there is more than enough fun and frolics in the
Tim Schneider
Jul 20, 2011 Tim Schneider rated it liked it
This is the weakest book that I've read by Holt thus far. Not that there was anything inherently wrong with it. It just always felt like a bit of a chore to pick it up and read it. None of the characters really captured me. The situation wasn't so interesting that I felt compelled to keep reading as opposed to doing something else.

It was just kind of there.

Catherine
Jan 05, 2013 Catherine rated it liked it
Shelves: bookcrossing
Jason is a hero who is pushed around by the gods, the enemies of the gods and his mum. This book is the tale of what happens when he finally cracks, and why he is fated to do so. As ever, there are puns galore from Holt, and I hope that a name check for Thyrestes is a good omen for the crossword competition in which he was the last answer! I'll let you know ...
Katrina F
Jan 16, 2015 Katrina F rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
I wanted to like this book, but all I could think while reading it is that Tom Holt lacks the inexplicable thing that makes Terry Prachett and Douglas Adams so brilliant.
Matthew
May 26, 2013 Matthew rated it liked it
Not my favorite fantasy satire. Had some neat ideas throughout but just not one I'll be wanting to visit again. May be worth a read in a market dominated by Pratchett.
Tyson
Nov 18, 2008 Tyson rated it really liked it
Yes, another Tom holt novel. not high literature by any stretch of the imagination, but packed with funny jokes and puns that would make you groan. Great fun to read!
Jsrott
Jun 08, 2014 Jsrott rated it really liked it
Yet another Holt book that I enjoyed from cover to cover. I'm only sad that I haven't discovered him earlier, as now I have a ton of catching up to do.
Tom
Mar 23, 2012 Tom rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, humour
Tom Holt has a lot of fun messing about with Greek gods in the modern world. The pace never lets up and it's often very funny, if a little silly.
Kelly
Jun 30, 2008 Kelly rated it really liked it
Funny. And, Holt sustains the style, plot, characters throughout the entire book (a long one). I didn't feel any parts of it were lagging.
Freya Roberts
Aug 08, 2010 Freya Roberts rated it really liked it
Fantastical blending of Classical mythology and modern suburban life, Jason Derry's trials and tribulations as the son of Jupiter.
Marie
Nov 09, 2009 Marie rated it it was amazing
The humorous mythical style reminds me of Neil Gaiman. Enjoying it very much so far
Izzy
Sep 03, 2012 Izzy rated it liked it
One of the strangest books i have ever read... In a good way.
Cc Barrett
Really excellent humor and writing and they are easy reads.
A.D. Starrling
Mar 06, 2012 A.D. Starrling rated it really liked it
Bizarre, funny. One of the best novels by this author.
Dan
Jan 09, 2013 Dan rated it it was ok
Funny book, but the ending left me dissatisfied
Sweetdhee
Oct 30, 2011 Sweetdhee marked it as to-read
five thousands
at jatinegara
Yancy Forrest
Yancy Forrest marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Cyn Romero
Cyn Romero marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Daniel Azaryahu
Daniel Azaryahu marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Gregory Peloquin
Gregory Peloquin marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Alex Godbeer
Alex Godbeer marked it as to-read
Matthew Groves
Matthew Groves marked it as to-read
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
  • Snuff Fiction
  • Discworld Fools' Guild Diary 2001
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy
  • Colony
Tom Holt (Thomas Charles Louis Holt; born September 13, 1961) is a British novelist.
He was born in London, the son of novelist Hazel Holt, and was educated at Westminster School, Wadham College, Oxford, and The College of Law, London.
Holt's works include mythopoeic novels which parody or take as their theme various aspects of mythology, history or literature and develop them in new and often humor
More about Tom Holt...

“Among the gods, there is a dispute as to which one of them originally thought of Christianity; or, as they call it, the Great Leg Pull. Apollo has the best claim, but a sizeable minority support Pluto, ex-God of the Dead, on the grounds that he has a really sick sense of humour.

How would it be, suggested the unidentified god, if first we tell them all to love their neighbour, pack in the killing and thieving, and be nice to each other. Then we let them start burning heretics.”
12 likes