Start by marking “Ye Gods!” as Want to Read:
Ye Gods!

Ye Gods!

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  654 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Being a hero bothers Jason. It's easy to get maladjusted when your mum's a suburban housewife and your dad's the Supreme Being. It can be a drag slaying fabulous monsters and retrieving golden fleeces from dragons, and then having to tidy your room before your mum'll let you watch "Star Trek".
Published January 28th 1993 by Orbit (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Ye Gods!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ye Gods!

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreGuards! Guards! by Terry PratchettWitches Abroad by Terry Pratchett
Best Humorous Fantasy and Science Fiction
114th out of 143 books — 136 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingJonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna ClarkeThe Golden Compass by Philip PullmanThe Eyre Affair by Jasper FfordeNeverwhere by Neil Gaiman
Alternate England
141st out of 240 books — 226 voters

More lists with this book...

Jared
Apr 05, 2008 Jared rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jared by: someone on a funny fantasy thread on amazon.com
Shelves: fantasy
I'm very surprised that nobody has written a review of this book, yet. In the hopes that this will be useful to someone, here goes.

For me, reading Tom Holt's Ye Gods is another attempt to find a funny fantasy writer like Terry Pratchett. The book actually reminded me of some of Pratchett's earlier Discworld books (for example, The Color of Magic, The Light Fantastic): short on plot, long on silliness, with a few insights sprinkled here and there.

The plot is very similar to the Percy Jackson book
Rebecca
So I think standard humor just isn't for me. I probay sound ridiculously picky or pedantic, but humor by itself just isn't enough to carry a story for me. It feels like eating potato chips - all the motions of food, but no actual substance or nutritional value.

Was this funny? Yeah, I guess, at points. And the story itself was unique, even if the style of humor wasn't. It just felt like there wasn't much of a story there, and there weren't really any characters that felt fleshed out enough for me
Nathan Dehoff
I’m currently in the process of reading Rick Riordan’s latest book, The House of Hades, but Holt actually wrote about Greco-Roman gods and demigod heroes in the modern world before Riordan ever did. In the world presented by this book, the gods have basically retired, although they are still able to affect events in the mortal world through the games they play. The main protagonist is Jason Derry, the son of Jupiter (with a few exceptions, Holt sticks to the Roman names) and a suburban housewife ...more
Bunnyjadwiga
If you've gotten burnt out on the powers of the Greek gods a la Rick Riordan, this paean to the powers of aggro may be for you. It's not unlike Gods Behaving Badly, but funnier and rather less sordid.
Steve Mitchell
Jason Derry is a hero; his real father is none other than Jupiter. Jupiter is a nasty piece of work really, chaining Prometheus to a mountain just for bringing fire to the human race; except that is not all he did. Prometheus also told the first joke! He gave the humans a sense of humour with which they could literally laugh in the face of the gods; and the gods want it back!
This book starts slowly and finishes more with a whimper than a bang; but there is more than enough fun and frolics in the
Tim Schneider
This is the weakest book that I've read by Holt thus far. Not that there was anything inherently wrong with it. It just always felt like a bit of a chore to pick it up and read it. None of the characters really captured me. The situation wasn't so interesting that I felt compelled to keep reading as opposed to doing something else.

It was just kind of there.

Catherine
Jason is a hero who is pushed around by the gods, the enemies of the gods and his mum. This book is the tale of what happens when he finally cracks, and why he is fated to do so. As ever, there are puns galore from Holt, and I hope that a name check for Thyrestes is a good omen for the crossword competition in which he was the last answer! I'll let you know ...
Matthew
Not my favorite fantasy satire. Had some neat ideas throughout but just not one I'll be wanting to visit again. May be worth a read in a market dominated by Pratchett.
Tyson
Yes, another Tom holt novel. not high literature by any stretch of the imagination, but packed with funny jokes and puns that would make you groan. Great fun to read!
Jsrott
Yet another Holt book that I enjoyed from cover to cover. I'm only sad that I haven't discovered him earlier, as now I have a ton of catching up to do.
Tom
Tom Holt has a lot of fun messing about with Greek gods in the modern world. The pace never lets up and it's often very funny, if a little silly.
Kelly
Funny. And, Holt sustains the style, plot, characters throughout the entire book (a long one). I didn't feel any parts of it were lagging.
Freya Roberts
Fantastical blending of Classical mythology and modern suburban life, Jason Derry's trials and tribulations as the son of Jupiter.
Marie
The humorous mythical style reminds me of Neil Gaiman. Enjoying it very much so far
Izzy
One of the strangest books i have ever read... In a good way.
Cc Barrett
Really excellent humor and writing and they are easy reads.
A.D. Starrling
Bizarre, funny. One of the best novels by this author.
Dan
Funny book, but the ending left me dissatisfied
Sweetdhee
Oct 30, 2011 Sweetdhee marked it as to-read
five thousands
at jatinegara
Hollie
Hollie marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Emmahaydock
Emmahaydock marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Matti
Matti marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Mark Rybka-wachhaus
Mark Rybka-wachhaus marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Eva
Eva added it
Nov 12, 2014
Yiannis Mavrelos
Yiannis Mavrelos marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
  • Snuff Fiction
  • A Tourist Guide To Lancre
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy
  • Colony
  • A Night in the Netherhells
Tom Holt (Thomas Charles Louis Holt; born September 13, 1961) is a British novelist.
He was born in London, the son of novelist Hazel Holt, and was educated at Westminster School, Wadham College, Oxford, and The College of Law, London.
Holt's works include mythopoeic novels which parody or take as their theme various aspects of mythology, history or literature and develop them in new and often humor
More about Tom Holt...
The Portable Door (J. W. Wells & Co., #1) Expecting Someone Taller You Don't Have to Be Evil to Work Here, But it Helps (J. W. Wells & Co., #4) In Your Dreams (J. W. Wells & Co., #2) Earth, Air, Fire and Custard (J. W. Wells & Co., #3)

“Among the gods, there is a dispute as to which one of them originally thought of Christianity; or, as they call it, the Great Leg Pull. Apollo has the best claim, but a sizeable minority support Pluto, ex-God of the Dead, on the grounds that he has a really sick sense of humour.

How would it be, suggested the unidentified god, if first we tell them all to love their neighbour, pack in the killing and thieving, and be nice to each other. Then we let them start burning heretics.”
11 likes