Start by marking “Faust Among Equals” as Want to Read:
Faust Among Equals

Faust Among Equals

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  416 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The management buy-out of Hell wasn't going quite as well as had been hoped. For a start, there had been that nasty business with the perjurors, and then came the news that the Most Wanted Man in History had escaped, and all just as the plans for the new theme park, EuroBosch, were underway.
Published 1995 by Orbit (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Faust Among Equals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faust Among Equals

1984 by George OrwellAnimal Farm by George OrwellBrave New World by Aldous HuxleyWhere the Sidewalk Ends by Shel SilversteinThe Stranger by Albert Camus
White as the Driven Snow
374th out of 951 books — 224 voters
American Gods by Neil GaimanGood Omens by Terry PratchettDracula by Bram StokerThe Stand by Stephen KingThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
Theological Weird Fiction
181st out of 221 books — 176 voters

More lists with this book...

Tim Schneider
Holt turns his cock-eyed look at culture on the Faust story. Not with a re-telling (how gauche) but with a sequel of sorts. Lucky George Faustus has escaped from Hell and wants to stay at-large...and find some sort of reprieve from his sentence. He has the help of his old university mates who include the likes Heironymous Bosch and The Flying Dutchman. He's also pursued (through time and space) by histories greatest bounty hunter/monster killer. As usual, time, space and physics don't work the s ...more
This is another book that I have read a thousand times over. I never get tired of this world - Holt is a certified genius and no one makes me laugh out loud quite like him.
Ralph McEwen
I just did not get it. Dead people chasing each other with guns? Heironymous Bosch as designer and engineer of an amusement park in Hell? Hell worrying about the bottom line? Time jumping but you have to buy tickets? It just goes on and on. I like funny but this was just stupid.
Apr 05, 2012 Judith rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: julia lou
Faust Among Equals by Tom Holt does not retell the original soul selling, but picks up with “Lucky George” Faust a few centuries later, having escaped from Hell. Still wielding all the magical powers he got in his famous deal with Satan, he is now up against the new corporate management -- Bain Capital? not quite -- Hell Holdings, plc. Faust may be able to make a fool out of the Security Director and defy the entire Board, but depend on the private sector, in the person of Kurt Lundqvist, bounty ...more
Actually read in the Dead Funny omnibus but since the correct edition of that does not show, nor can I add it, I thought may as well have this incorrect cover as the other, especially as I did read the two books within a book separately.

Most reviews on here of that combined edition rate this above book:Flying Dutch]. I disagree. The premise of this is less tight and the characters' motivations are very woolly at times - but then I suppose one might expect that from people who have been double-cr
Fun, laugh out laud sort of book featuring historical figures, demons, hell, modern management style, and ethereal bounty hunters. How can you say no to something like this? Guaranteed to make you laugh so hard you might have trouble explaining your behavior. :)
Really quite funny. First time reading Tom Holt and I am impressed
Quite funny, unusual story and very different to his other series. I wasn't enthralled and I wouldn't call it unputdownable (and nor would anyone else with a dictionary) but I was compelled to keep reading and I liked the main characters quite a lot.
Ariana Deralte
Apr 10, 2009 Ariana Deralte rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people with american senses of humour
Shelves: fantasy, youkai, magic
I was told this was one of Tom Holt's funnier books. Thankfully, this is the case, though it's still not that funny compared to the great comedy writers. Continuous irony and jokes that are telegraphed ten pages away do not a comedy make. He really does run his jokes into the ground, the bastard... And I should stop reading the bloody things since every one of his books does nothing to cheer me up, and merely annoys me.
Another great Tom Holt novel, this time turning the legend of Faust on its head. The image of Hell being a boring business syndicate is nothing new, but a theme park is a nice twist. I also like the reason given for the Trojan wars going on for so long!!
Feb 27, 2009 Mollie marked it as wishlist
Faust Among Equals by Tom Holt (1994)
Cc Barrett
Hilarious, Disney Land in Hell.
Diana marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Tina Godby
Tina Godby marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Clare marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Mary-Ann Smith
Mary-Ann Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
  • Raiders of the Lost Carpark
  • A Disagreement With Death (The Ballad of Wuntvor, #3)
  • The Running Game
  • Mad Amos
  • Discworld's Unseen University Diary 1998
  • The Book of Heroic Failures: The Official Handbook of the Not Terribly Good Club of Great Britain
  • The Dragon Business
Tom Holt (Thomas Charles Louis Holt; born September 13, 1961) is a British novelist.
He was born in London, the son of novelist Hazel Holt, and was educated at Westminster School, Wadham College, Oxford, and The College of Law, London.
Holt's works include mythopoeic novels which parody or take as their theme various aspects of mythology, history or literature and develop them in new and often humor
More about Tom Holt...