Start by marking “Faust Among Equals” as Want to Read:
Faust Among Equals

Faust Among Equals

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  452 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The management buy-out of Hell wasn't going quite as well as had been hoped. For a start, there had been that nasty business with the perjurors, and then came the news that the Most Wanted Man in History had escaped, and all just as the plans for the new theme park, EuroBosch, were underway.
Published 1995 by Orbit (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Faust Among Equals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faust Among Equals

1984 by George OrwellAnimal Farm by George OrwellBrave New World by Aldous HuxleyThe Stranger by Albert CamusWhere the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein
White as the Driven Snow
389th out of 1,032 books — 231 voters
American Gods by Neil GaimanGood Omens by Terry PratchettDracula by Bram StokerThe Stand by Stephen KingThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
Theological Weird Fiction
193rd out of 236 books — 197 voters

More lists with this book...

Tim Schneider
Sep 17, 2012 Tim Schneider rated it really liked it
Holt turns his cock-eyed look at culture on the Faust story. Not with a re-telling (how gauche) but with a sequel of sorts. Lucky George Faustus has escaped from Hell and wants to stay at-large...and find some sort of reprieve from his sentence. He has the help of his old university mates who include the likes Heironymous Bosch and The Flying Dutchman. He's also pursued (through time and space) by histories greatest bounty hunter/monster killer. As usual, time, space and physics don't work the s ...more
Georgia
Aug 30, 2015 Georgia rated it it was amazing
This is another book that I have read a thousand times over. I never get tired of this world - Holt is a certified genius and no one makes me laugh out loud quite like him.
Nathan Dehoff
I get the impression that a significant of this one was inspired by Terry Pratchett's Eric, specifically Hell operating like a modern business. It's not too surprising that two British writers of comic fantasy would hit on some of the same topics, but here it's a little too similar. While many of Holt's books meander but still have a unifying plot, this one didn't seem to so much. Essentially a sequel to the Faust legend, this has Georg Faust (usually called by his English name of Lucky George) ...more
Ralph McEwen
Aug 18, 2013 Ralph McEwen rated it did not like it
I just did not get it. Dead people chasing each other with guns? Heironymous Bosch as designer and engineer of an amusement park in Hell? Hell worrying about the bottom line? Time jumping but you have to buy tickets? It just goes on and on. I like funny but this was just stupid.
Judith
Apr 05, 2012 Judith rated it liked it
Recommends it for: julia lou
Faust Among Equals by Tom Holt does not retell the original soul selling, but picks up with “Lucky George” Faust a few centuries later, having escaped from Hell. Still wielding all the magical powers he got in his famous deal with Satan, he is now up against the new corporate management -- Bain Capital? not quite -- Hell Holdings, plc. Faust may be able to make a fool out of the Security Director and defy the entire Board, but depend on the private sector, in the person of Kurt Lundqvist, bounty ...more
Catherine
Feb 09, 2012 Catherine rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Actually read in the Dead Funny omnibus but since the correct edition of that does not show, nor can I add it, I thought may as well have this incorrect cover as the other, especially as I did read the two books within a book separately.

Most reviews on here of that combined edition rate this above book:Flying Dutch]. I disagree. The premise of this is less tight and the characters' motivations are very woolly at times - but then I suppose one might expect that from people who have been double-cr
Ofer
Aug 28, 2015 Ofer rated it really liked it
Fun, laugh out laud sort of book featuring historical figures, demons, hell, modern management style, and ethereal bounty hunters. How can you say no to something like this? Guaranteed to make you laugh so hard you might have trouble explaining your behavior. :)
Christine S.r.
Apr 06, 2016 Christine S.r. rated it liked it
Funny, silly, and fast-paced. It was spot-on in its corporate mockery. A couple awkward lines, though, and the characters were a little thin compared to a series like Discworld. (Which comparatively manages to be both funny and have deep characters.) I'd definitely try another book by him.
Charles
Sep 14, 2015 Charles rated it really liked it
Really quite funny. First time reading Tom Holt and I am impressed
Taryn
Sep 28, 2014 Taryn rated it liked it
Quite funny, unusual story and very different to his other series. I wasn't enthralled and I wouldn't call it unputdownable (and nor would anyone else with a dictionary) but I was compelled to keep reading and I liked the main characters quite a lot.
Sora Zee
Apr 28, 2015 Sora Zee rated it really liked it
So and so
Ariana Deralte
Apr 10, 2009 Ariana Deralte rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people with american senses of humour
Shelves: fantasy, youkai, magic
I was told this was one of Tom Holt's funnier books. Thankfully, this is the case, though it's still not that funny compared to the great comedy writers. Continuous irony and jokes that are telegraphed ten pages away do not a comedy make. He really does run his jokes into the ground, the bastard... And I should stop reading the bloody things since every one of his books does nothing to cheer me up, and merely annoys me.
Dark-Draco
Sep 10, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humour
Another great Tom Holt novel, this time turning the legend of Faust on its head. The image of Hell being a boring business syndicate is nothing new, but a theme park is a nice twist. I also like the reason given for the Trojan wars going on for so long!!
Mollie
Feb 27, 2009 Mollie marked it as wishlist
Faust Among Equals by Tom Holt (1994)
Cc Barrett
Hilarious, Disney Land in Hell.
Benjamin
Benjamin marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Kevin O'Leary
Kevin O'Leary rated it really liked it
May 14, 2016
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Deanna
Deanna rated it liked it
May 09, 2016
Orla Hyland
Orla Hyland rated it really liked it
May 08, 2016
Genevieve Bourjeaurd
Genevieve Bourjeaurd marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
David
David added it
May 07, 2016
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Katherine Lee
Katherine Lee marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Hellnick
Hellnick rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Gert
Gert rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Rob Walsh
Rob Walsh rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Clive Bevitt
Clive Bevitt rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2016
  • A Dog Called Demolition
  • A Disagreement With Death (The Ballad of Wuntvor, #3)
  • Dragon Chronicles
  • The Running Game
  • Discworld's Unseen University Diary 1998
  • Grass For His Pillow: Episode 1 Lord Fujiwara's Treasures
  • Mad Amos
  • Bloodsong (Blood, #2)
  • The Well of Stars (Marrow, #2)
Tom Holt (Thomas Charles Louis Holt; born September 13, 1961) is a British novelist.
He was born in London, the son of novelist Hazel Holt, and was educated at Westminster School, Wadham College, Oxford, and The College of Law, London.
Holt's works include mythopoeic novels which parody or take as their theme various aspects of mythology, history or literature and develop them in new and often humor
More about Tom Holt...