Start by marking “All Aboard the Dinotrain” as Want to Read:
All Aboard the Dinotrain

All Aboard the Dinotrain

They stoke the boiler, stow the luggage, and when hills are steep, they even get out and push. That's right, the thrill-seeking daredevil dinosaurs from Dinosailors are back, and now they're riding a train. But this train is more like a roller coaster--up, down, and faster and faster, until the dinos realize the brakes are out!

Laughs and thrills abound in this rip-snortin
Published April 1st 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about All Aboard the Dinotrain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Aboard the Dinotrain

The Little Engine That Could by Watty PiperThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgFreight Train by Donald CrewsThe Little Red Caboose by Marian PotterTrains by Byron Barton
Picture Books about Trains
20th out of 130 books — 51 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakAre You My Mother? by P.D. EastmanIf You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff
Books for three-year-old children
310th out of 465 books — 342 voters

More lists with this book...

babyhippoface
Oct 18, 2011 babyhippoface rated it it was ok
This book made me feel like a crotchedy old person (I'm really not, I swear). I didn't like the message at all. I know, I know, board books about dinosaurs riding steam engines probably aren't supposed to have a message. You're right. But I found one there anyway, unintended or not, and it bugged me.

A group of various dinokiddos loads a train with cargo, shovel coal and stokes the flames, and sets off down the tracks for adventure. When the train has trouble climbing a steep hill, the dinosaurs
Lynn  Davidson
Dec 01, 2016 Lynn Davidson rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The author has come up with a comical dinosaur book for young readers who love dinosaurs and rhyme ... and trains. She has concocted words such as dinochugs and dinopush. This is an entertaining story with a funny ending about dinosaurs who set off on a train ride. The illustrations are fantastic.
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
A group of dinosaurs set off on an adventurous train ride in this rhythmic rhyming tale. Don't miss the fun of this western styled illustrated trip.
Rosa Cline
Oct 02, 2016 Rosa Cline rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
This was an action packed fun paced storybook both in text and illustration for dinosaur and train loving little boy and girls. My adult special needs son and I enjoyed every page of this book.
Amy
Jul 06, 2011 Amy rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
I imagine there are probably a lot of little kids out there who would love this book. The pictures are bright and vivid, the dinosaurs are engagingly drawn (a brontosaurus in conductor garb!), and come on, it's dinosaurs *and* trains! What's not to love?!

But, we didn't love it, and I sort of feel bad about that, because I feel like we should have. My nephew had a lot of trouble interpreting what was going on in the story. At his age he does a lot of interpreting by looking at the pictures, and I
Anna Summers
All Aboard the Dinotrain is a book about dinosaurs who hop aboard a train for a wild, adventurous ride. The dinosaurs zip through the countryside; going through tunnels, over bridges, and climbing mountains. They encounter some difficulties along the way, but they make it back to their dinosaur families safe and sound. At the end of the book, the dinosaurs are planning their next adventure which looks to be on a dinoplane. The rhyming text provides a rhythm/beat that is similar to the sound a ...more
Sarah Sammis
Jun 03, 2010 Sarah Sammis rated it it was ok
Dinosaurs and trains... I don't know who first though of combining the two but now it seems impossible to escape stories involving the two. All Aboard the Dinotrain is yet another of these stories.

In All Aboard the Dinotrain, a group of dinosaurs decide to go for a train ride. Where they are going isn't really explained. Why the train doesn't fit them isn't either. It's too small for most of them. Why none of them seem to know how to drive it is another detail over looked.

My favorite combination
Elizabeth K.
Jul 20, 2016 Elizabeth K. rated it liked it
Recommended to Elizabeth by: NYPL
Shelves: 2012-lucy
This one was a bit weird as far as board books go. Part of it is probably our fault, I think this is aimed at kids a little older than Lu. I like dinosaurs, and I like trains, but then James pointed out that it's odd that the dinosaurs are traveling around in a train that burns fossil fuels. Of course once you start thinking about that, you can't really stop. Also, if the dinosaurs have a train, why wouldn't they make it big enough to fit dinosaurs? It's amazing, really, how much time I have ...more
Nicole
Apr 15, 2013 Nicole rated it liked it
Title reminded me of my goddaughter's beloved t.v. show, Dinosaur Trian. Love the illustrations of these colorful dinosaurs - great depictions of their size and they are drawn from interesting perspectives. I love that the dinosaurs ride on top of the trains instead of inside, as they will do as children's toys. The rhyming is a bit awkward at times and I dislike the making-up of various unnecessary dino- words like dinogroan, dinoduck, etc. instead of using the normal word, but a fun read ...more
Kristen
Jan 07, 2016 Kristen rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books, dinosaurs
Meh. I thought this book would be better than it was. My daughter enjoys dinosaurs, but this book really had no plot. Dinos just rode a train, it broke, and they had to come back all cramped together on a platform. There was no lesson and it didn't even have a cute story. Some of the pictures were funny, which is probably the only reason I didn't give this 1 star - I didn't hate it. But I didn't enjoy it. I had higher hopes for it. Perhaps the dino enthusiast will still enjoy it, but I just felt ...more
Dec 08, 2011 Laura rated it it was ok
I bet there are a lot of dinosaur obsessed kids that make their parents read this book to them night after night. And I feel sorry for their moms and dads. The rhymes are okay and the pictures are kind of fun. This is not a factual book and kids looking for actual information will want to skip this one. And dinos? On a train? It's a little too dinosilly for me.

Recommended for preschool and Kindergarten. A good selection for the public library.
Elsa
Mar 08, 2010 Elsa rated it really liked it
My students loved this story! We actually chose it off a list on a tumblebooks website which read it to them. They saw the picture of the dinos aboard the train and said, "We want to hear that one!" They laughed at all the silliness of the dinos and their antics. Enough action to hold their attention with an easy-to-love cast of colorful characters.
Melanie
Young dinosaurs are excited for a train ride. A dinotrain! The trains not moving real well, though. They all hop off and try to push it. It's really heavy. So they throw off all the cargo. Now the trains moving at a pretty good clip. But up ahead there's a gorge and no bridge! SPLASH! Oh, no! How will they get back?

A great romp for storytime!
Heather
Jan 31, 2016 Heather rated it it was ok
H liked this but I was less impressed particularly with all the Dino-words within the rhymes. They seemed very unnecessary but then the story is a bit over the top so why not go all out. I guess we'll keep this one for the occasions read until the love of trains fades.
Paula
there is not a real destination for the dino train, but the pictures are colorful and for a kid who loves dinosaurs it could be a great read
When dinosaurs seek adventure by taking a train ride, they find the trip has some unexpected surprises along the way.
Lexi
Dec 17, 2014 Lexi rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is my favorite in the series that is one of my three year old son's favorite series. We read it at least once a week. Written by a local Puget Sound region author. Cool illustrations. Plus rhyme that has the right rhythm! Hallelujah. Why is that so hard to find?
Peacegal
May 11, 2012 Peacegal rated it it was ok
Cute illustrations with definite kid appeal...however, adults who find themselves reading this one allowed will likely be dino-annoyed by the author's excessive use of the word "dino" in front of virtually every verb and noun.
Kadie
Dec 27, 2015 Kadie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I must say we were disappointed. Dinosaurs and trains seemed like a sure bet, especially since there's a dinosaur train television show on pbs, but it just didn't have much going for it. The illustrations were the best part of this book by far!
Carmela Dutra
Dec 18, 2015 Carmela Dutra rated it it was amazing
Bought this book for my husband to read to our son and it's the perfect bedtime story any little boy or girl! Not only does have very fun illustrations, but it tells the story in a fun easy to follow rhyme.
Kristen
Feb 25, 2009 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: children
This is a fun read. And it combines two things kids love almost universally: dinosaurs and trains. When the dinos are dismayed because they thought their train trip would be "water-free," I laugh out loud.
Chris
This isn't a great book. It's one of those that I think the publisher said "what do kids like? Oh, trains and dinosaurs. You in the corner, go and put something together would you?"

Your mileage may vary.
Curteee
Feb 18, 2015 Curteee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nanni and Heidi and chase and I read this book for bed tonight. Heidi and chase skipped town, but Nanni finished the book with me and says it was five stars. Everything was her favorite part she said.
Lauren
Oct 08, 2010 Lauren rated it did not like it
Dinosaurs try to take a trip on a train. They come across many complications along the way (in a rhyming way) but end up turning around and coming home where they are happy. Then, they see a dino-plane....
Jill
Dec 20, 2014 Jill rated it it was ok
I didn't really care for this book too much. I thought it couldn't lose, having both dinosaurs and trains in it, but the story never really got interesting to me. A group of dinosaurs go on a train trip and crash the train.
Emily
Aug 30, 2016 Emily rated it liked it
It combines trains and dinosaurs - pretty awesome for little boys obsessed with both. I found the text a little stilted, though. Read September 2010
Kristie
This rhyming book is sure to please any lover of dinosaurs or trains! The sing-song sound makes the book a quick and fun read.
Jul 25, 2011 Sarah added it
Not quite as great as DinoSailors, but it is a fun read. The rhymes are cute and the illustrations are suitably silly.
Rachel
May 29, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it
One of the boys' favorites! Great illustrations, a catchy poem, dinosaurs, and trains---what more could you ask for?
Anne
Feb 04, 2016 Anne rated it liked it
This will hit the dinosaur and train lover's sweet spot. It's a little "dinoannoying" at times, but I think the intended audience won't "dinocare."
Mary Lou
Jan 06, 2011 Mary Lou rated it it was amazing
One of our all time favorites. Even after reading it so much I can pretty much recite the whole thing from memory we still love it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • I Love Trains!
  • A Truck Goes Rattley-Bumpa
  • Trucks Roll!
  • The Goodnight Train
  • Up, Down, and Around
  • Cars Galore
  • Demolition
  • Trucks: Whizz! Zoom! Rumble!
  • And the Train Goes...
  • Dino-Soccer
  • The Super Hungry Dinosaur
  • Tadpole Rex
  • Red Truck
  • How Do Dinosaurs Play with Their Friends?
  • Laura Numeroff's 10-Step Guide to Living with Your Monster
  • Boom Chicka Rock
  • Dinosaur Roar!
  • Whose Chick Are You?
A kidlit author and creativity coach best known for her celebrated dinoseries, Deb Lund taught for twenty years as a music and classroom teacher and elementary librarian, later creating and co-directing a small arts-based school.

Deb supports writers, teachers, artists, and students through her website, blogs, continuing education courses, and coaching. She's a frequent presenter at schools, libra
More about Deb Lund...