All Aboard the Dinotrain

All Aboard the Dinotrain

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  224 ratings  ·  41 reviews
They stoke the boiler, stow the luggage, and when hills are steep, they even get out and push. That's right, the thrill-seeking daredevil dinosaurs from Dinosailors are back, and now they're riding a train. But this train is more like a roller coaster--up, down, and faster and faster, until the dinos realize the brakes are out!

Laughs and thrills abound in this rip-snorting...more
Published April 1st 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about All Aboard the Dinotrain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Aboard the Dinotrain

The Little Engine That Could by Watty PiperThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgFreight Train by Donald CrewsTrains by Byron BartonThe Little Red Caboose by Marian Potter
Picture Books about Trains
19th out of 102 books — 39 voters
The Case of the Old Man in the Mailbox by Brian C. JacobsRamona Quimby, Age 8 by Beverly ClearyHello, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle by Betty MacDonaldA Visitor for Bear by Bonny BeckerElla Sarah Gets Dressed by Margaret Chodos-Irvine
Northwest Children's Authors
29th out of 32 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

babyhippoface
This book made me feel like a crotchedy old person (I'm really not, I swear). I didn't like the message at all. I know, I know, board books about dinosaurs riding steam engines probably aren't supposed to have a message. You're right. But I found one there anyway, unintended or not, and it bugged me.

A group of various dinokiddos loads a train with cargo, shovel coal and stokes the flames, and sets off down the tracks for adventure. When the train has trouble climbing a steep hill, the dinosaurs...more
Anna Summers
All Aboard the Dinotrain is a book about dinosaurs who hop aboard a train for a wild, adventurous ride. The dinosaurs zip through the countryside; going through tunnels, over bridges, and climbing mountains. They encounter some difficulties along the way, but they make it back to their dinosaur families safe and sound. At the end of the book, the dinosaurs are planning their next adventure which looks to be on a dinoplane. The rhyming text provides a rhythm/beat that is similar to the sound a tr...more
Amy
I imagine there are probably a lot of little kids out there who would love this book. The pictures are bright and vivid, the dinosaurs are engagingly drawn (a brontosaurus in conductor garb!), and come on, it's dinosaurs *and* trains! What's not to love?!

But, we didn't love it, and I sort of feel bad about that, because I feel like we should have. My nephew had a lot of trouble interpreting what was going on in the story. At his age he does a lot of interpreting by looking at the pictures, and I...more
Sarah Sammis
Dinosaurs and trains... I don't know who first though of combining the two but now it seems impossible to escape stories involving the two. All Aboard the Dinotrain is yet another of these stories.

In All Aboard the Dinotrain, a group of dinosaurs decide to go for a train ride. Where they are going isn't really explained. Why the train doesn't fit them isn't either. It's too small for most of them. Why none of them seem to know how to drive it is another detail over looked.

My favorite combination...more
Julie Hedlund
My kids ADORE this series. Such great fun. A rhyming romp with lots of fun word play. Combining dinosaurs, transportation, silliness and lots of adventure, it's a hit on all counts!
Ayashe
Adorable! I'm so happy I picked this one up for my 3 year old. The illustrations are so funny and cute and the story is fun to read.
Elizabeth K.
Jan 19, 2012 Elizabeth K. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Elizabeth by: NYPL
Shelves: 2012-lucy
This one was a bit weird as far as board books go. Part of it is probably our fault, I think this is aimed at kids a little older than Lu. I like dinosaurs, and I like trains, but then James pointed out that it's odd that the dinosaurs are traveling around in a train that burns fossil fuels. Of course once you start thinking about that, you can't really stop. Also, if the dinosaurs have a train, why wouldn't they make it big enough to fit dinosaurs? It's amazing, really, how much time I have spe...more
Lee
May 07, 2014 Lee added it
Favorite by Landon
Nicole
Title reminded me of my goddaughter's beloved t.v. show, Dinosaur Trian. Love the illustrations of these colorful dinosaurs - great depictions of their size and they are drawn from interesting perspectives. I love that the dinosaurs ride on top of the trains instead of inside, as they will do as children's toys. The rhyming is a bit awkward at times and I dislike the making-up of various unnecessary dino- words like dinogroan, dinoduck, etc. instead of using the normal word, but a fun read never...more
I bet there are a lot of dinosaur obsessed kids that make their parents read this book to them night after night. And I feel sorry for their moms and dads. The rhymes are okay and the pictures are kind of fun. This is not a factual book and kids looking for actual information will want to skip this one. And dinos? On a train? It's a little too dinosilly for me.

Recommended for preschool and Kindergarten. A good selection for the public library.
Elsa
My students loved this story! We actually chose it off a list on a tumblebooks website which read it to them. They saw the picture of the dinos aboard the train and said, "We want to hear that one!" They laughed at all the silliness of the dinos and their antics. Enough action to hold their attention with an easy-to-love cast of colorful characters.
Melanie
Young dinosaurs are excited for a train ride. A dinotrain! The trains not moving real well, though. They all hop off and try to push it. It's really heavy. So they throw off all the cargo. Now the trains moving at a pretty good clip. But up ahead there's a gorge and no bridge! SPLASH! Oh, no! How will they get back?

A great romp for storytime!
Paula
there is not a real destination for the dino train, but the pictures are colorful and for a kid who loves dinosaurs it could be a great read
When dinosaurs seek adventure by taking a train ride, they find the trip has some unexpected surprises along the way.
Peacegal
Cute illustrations with definite kid appeal...however, adults who find themselves reading this one allowed will likely be dino-annoyed by the author's excessive use of the word "dino" in front of virtually every verb and noun.
Chris
This isn't a great book. It's one of those that I think the publisher said "what do kids like? Oh, trains and dinosaurs. You in the corner, go and put something together would you?"

Your mileage may vary.
Kristen
This is a fun read. And it combines two things kids love almost universally: dinosaurs and trains. When the dinos are dismayed because they thought their train trip would be "water-free," I laugh out loud.
Lauren
Dinosaurs try to take a trip on a train. They come across many complications along the way (in a rhyming way) but end up turning around and coming home where they are happy. Then, they see a dino-plane....
Lisa
My son loves trains so this was a hit right off the bat. Beautiful illustrations and fun story. Great for pre-readers. Easy for little ones to re-tell just by looking at the pictures.
Mason & Natalie
Mason picked this story at the book fair last night and we read it right away. It's a cute story with great rhymes in it - it's easy and fun to read aloud!
Emily
It combines trains and dinosaurs - pretty awesome for little boys obsessed with both. I found the text a little stilted, though. Read September 2010
Angela Nelson
I really like this book. They play with words and make up works so the book rhymes. It is a fun story for children who are interested in dinosaurs.
Michelle
Another dinosaur book for my son. This one was a little old for him, but he loved the illustrations of the dinos and the choo-choo.
Lynda Shoup
This book is sure to be popular as it combines two much requested topics - dinosaurs and trains! It shows promise as a read aloud.
Involves dinosaurs and trains, my son's two favorite things. I thought his eyes would bug right out of his head when I showed it to him!
Mary Lou
One of our all time favorites. Even after reading it so much I can pretty much recite the whole thing from memory we still love it.
Tanya W
Good rhythm and rhyme... but for some reason I really didn't enjoy this book very much and it wasn't so well appreciated by my kids either.
Kristie
This rhyming book is sure to please any lover of dinosaurs or trains! The sing-song sound makes the book a quick and fun read.
Jul 25, 2011 Sarah added it
Not quite as great as DinoSailors, but it is a fun read. The rhymes are cute and the illustrations are suitably silly.
Rachel
One of the boys' favorites! Great illustrations, a catchy poem, dinosaurs, and trains---what more could you ask for?
Sam
Dinosaur--ROAR! Choo-Choo (Impossible not to be awesome in Sam's book when you add these two things)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Super Hungry Dinosaur
  • Cars Galore
  • I Love Trains!
  • Dinosaur Roar! Board Book
  • Red Truck
  • How Do Dinosaurs Play With Their Friends?
  • Rattletrap Car
  • Ten Little Fish
  • Up, Down, and Around
  • Moose Tracks!
  • Tadpole Rex
  • Boom Chicka Rock
  • Demolition
  • Saturday Night at the Dinosaur Stomp
  • Kiss Kiss! (Mini Edition)
  • The Little Red Pen
  • The Little Rabbit Who Liked to Say Moo
  • If the Dinosaurs Came Back
A kidlit author and creativity coach best known for her celebrated dinoseries, Deb Lund taught for twenty years as a music and classroom teacher and elementary librarian, later creating and co-directing a small arts-based school.

Deb supports writers, teachers, artists, and students through her website, blogs, continuing education courses, and coaching. She's a frequent presenter at schools, libra...more
More about Deb Lund...