Start by marking “Evangeline and Other Poems” as Want to Read:
Evangeline and Other Poems

Evangeline and Other Poems

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  11 reviews
A collection of poems by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882), including Evangeline, The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere, The Children's Hour, and selections from The Songs of Hiawatha.
Published December 31st 2010 by Wildside Press (first published January 1st 1912)

To ask other readers questions about Evangeline and Other Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evangeline and Other Poems

Mike
Jul 13, 2013 Mike rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to read something to a bedridden person they hate
I read this aloud to my plant Evangeline and it died. Thank ye, Shannon. ;)
Brian
You know... you would have thought that this is something I should have read already. I'm a Cajun. My dad traced our ancestors back to Grand-Pre and to France. In fact we went to France a couple of years back and found the home of some of our ancestors that after fleeing Grand-Pre resettled in central France. I grew up in the swamps of Louisiana after my great-great-great... grandfather fled south. This is about my culture and I overlooked this gem for 47 years.

Well, it was a good read, though s
Mona
This edition of selected poems by Longfellow features the epic poem "Evangeline", which narrates the tale of two lovers separated during "The Great Upheaval", or Britain's forced removal of the Acadian people to the American colonies during the French and Indian War. The poem relies heavily on natural imagery and invocations of the Trinity, and is written in dactylic hexameter, which was also used for Homer's Illiad and Odyssey.

Despite really liking some of the other (shorter) poems in this col
Christopher
This Dover Thrift Edition makes an economical and convenient introduction to the work of Heendry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882), the American poet who sort of provided the antithesis to Walt Whitman by always looking back to the continental European canon in writing verse on American themes. The volume contains his long poem "Evangeline" and is rounded out with 9 shorter poems.

"Evangeline" (1847) is a long poem in dactylic hexameters on the expulsion of the Acadians, the French settlers of Nov
Valerie
I recently read an edition of Evangeline in which about half the book was taken up by critical material. This version is almost solely the texts of this and other poems, though there is information (in the table of contents) as to where to find the originals. It claims to be 'unabridged'--we'll see how Evangeline compares. Ok, it's more or less comparable, less most of the glossary and critical material. There are some glossing footnotes, which still don't cover things like Longfellow's use of t ...more
Ren
In reading “Evangeline” I had a hard time reconciling the issue of Evangeline’s high femininity with her position as a woman hero. For me, a woman hero, or for that matter a hero in general, is one that transcends the gender barriers of her/his time, at least to some degree. She/he must incorporate within herself/himself the positive qualities of both sides of the binary as much as possible. A sort of androgynous person would be the ideal hero. Evangeline is almost an embodiment of “ideal” femin ...more
Bethany Richter
I don't spend much time in poetry. But from my limited foray, Longfellow is my favorite.

I love rhyming, I'm not a fan of obscure symbolism. I like a ballad. Longfellow delivers.

Favorites: Evangeline,
Jane
Sep 14, 2008 Jane rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jane by: Dave
Shelves: own
Got this book as a gift from a friend. It is a nice collection of poems by Longfellow, both short and lengthy (for a poem).
Kate Daly
Evangeline is an all-time favorite, which I share with my grandmother.
Deena Scintilla
Read this YEARS ago but want to read it again with more maturity.
Michael
Wonderful. One of my Favorites.
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Laura is currently reading it
Apr 07, 2015
Ellice
Ellice added it
Mar 08, 2015
Eva
Eva added it
Feb 16, 2015
Ekaterina
Ekaterina marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Olga
Olga marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Sigga
Sigga marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Edward
Edward added it
Nov 30, 2014
Chell
Chell marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Portable Romantic Poets: Blake to Poe
  • W.B. Yeats (Everyman's Poetry)
  • The Norton Anthology of Poetry, Shorter Fifth Edition
  • Complete Poems Of Robert Frost, 1949
  • Poemas
  • Essay on Man and Other Poems
  • Ezra Pound: Poems
  • Love Songs
  • Selected Poems
  • The Old Arcadia
  • Lady Carliss and the Waters of Moorue (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #4)
  • The Vintage Book of Contemporary American Poetry
  • The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Other Poems
  • Spring and All
  • Lyric Poems
  • Principles of Political Economy
  • Fyodor Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment (Bloom's Notes)
  • Walking Back the Cat
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was an American poet whose works include "Paul Revere's Ride", The Song of Hiawatha, and "Evangeline". He was also the first American to translate Dante Alighieri's The Divine Comedy and was one of the five members of the group known as the Fireside Poets.

Longfellow was born in Portland, Maine and studied at Bowdoin College. After spending time in Europe he became a prof
More about Henry Wadsworth Longfellow...
The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere The Song of Hiawatha Evangeline: A Tale of Acadie Favorite Poems Henry Wadsworth Longfellow: Poems and Other Writings