Start by marking “The Anger Habit: Proven Principles to Calm the Stormy Mind” as Want to Read:
The Anger Habit: Proven Principles to Calm the Stormy Mind

The Anger Habit: Proven Principles to Calm the Stormy Mind

Carl Semmelroth's The Anger Habit is a leading anger-management book that is poised to become a major force in the category. This book is centered around the principle that for those who have anger problems, anger can be a learned response. Often the people with the problem don't realize that they are acting habitually, or why they are.
Semmelroth takes you step by step th
Published August 1st 2004 by Sourcebooks (first published November 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Anger Habit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Anger Habit

Karla Owen foisy
May 16, 2015 Karla Owen foisy rated it really liked it
Other books on anger generally encourage a person to learn positive communication in order to persuade the person that angered you to change. This book suggests a habitually anger person is probably not going to be less angry even if he can convince all the people in the world change.

The author gives a person who has gotten into the habit of angry outbursts a another option: to recognize anger is a choice to control others, that anger is NEVER someone else's fault, and that you are responsible
Mary Karpel-Jergic
Worth a read to examine how anger can function in a myriad of ways in life on a daily basis. Recognising anger feelings is the first step and then recognising it as a warning signal for what we are about to do is the second. Getting rid of feelings of self-importance is recommended and in place, the cultivation of self-esteem. Self-importance demands (anger); self-esteem trades (communicates/negotiates).
J. Schmidt
May 01, 2014 J. Schmidt rated it did not like it
"Anger is often an attempt to control others". This is pretty much the only useful thing I got out of this book. Many other things including on proper parenting are down-right wrong in my opinion (and based on books I read on parenting such as "raising an emotionally intelligent child" among others....
Bridgett
Oct 29, 2009 Bridgett rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology
The examples were a bit boring, but I liked the idea of anger as being used as a means of control and how we are each responsible for our own anger.
W R
Mar 23, 2017 W R rated it really liked it
This book isn't one to offer recommendations to fix your anger problem. The title is misleading in this. Instead it offer insight as to what is causing your anger. Both Carl Semmelroth and Donald Smith hold a Ph.D. and practice Psychology. They believe that anger is caused by the desire to control another person or thing. Of course, you cannot control others. Therefore, you become angry and lose your tempter because the people or things do not do what you wish. This slowly builds and eventually ...more
Joseph Mansour
Joseph Mansour rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2015
Ogi Ogas
Ogi Ogas rated it it was ok
Mar 01, 2012
Chad
Chad rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2010
Dr. Sandra K. Broz
Dr. Sandra K. Broz rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2015
Mila
Mila rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2013
Hamish Davidson
Hamish Davidson rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2015
Elizabeth
Nov 16, 2015 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Shelves: career
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
I checked this out but I don't remember if I read it or not.
Matt Herb
Matt Herb rated it it was ok
Dec 27, 2016
Alan L. Cook
Alan L. Cook rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2014
Teresa J Butolph
Teresa J Butolph rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Trey Nowell
Trey Nowell rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2014
Lb
Lb rated it it was ok
Mar 03, 2013
Syed Tirmizey
Syed Tirmizey rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2013
Rose
Rose rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2012
JoAnn
JoAnn rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2012
Bobbie
Bobbie rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2014
Chip Dean
Chip Dean rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2014
Carol
Carol rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2013
Milicent
Milicent rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2017
Heidy Tarek
Heidy Tarek rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2015
Sean Ringey
Sean Ringey rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2010
Tamra Ozbolt
Tamra Ozbolt rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2009
andrew
andrew rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2009
Engel Kirsche
Engel Kirsche rated it did not like it
Jun 04, 2013