Start by marking “Louvre: All the Paintings” as Want to Read:
Louvre: All the Paintings

Louvre: All the Paintings

4.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  192 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
An historic publishing event! Endorsed by the Louvre and for the first time ever, every painting from the world's most popular museum is available in one stunning book.

All 2,981 paintings on display in the permanent painting collection of the Louvre are presented in full color in this striking, slipcased book. Comes with an enclosed, supportive DVD-ROM

The Louvre is the w

Published November 15th 2011 by Black Dog & Leventhal (first published October 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Louvre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Louvre

Linda
Jan 18, 2014 Linda rated it it was amazing
Having lived in Europe for a time, I was a huge Museé du Louvre fan. So when my dear husband bought this for me for Christmas, I was ecstatic. It truly lives up to the hype and is, in my opinion, well worth the hefty price tag. If you love looking at some the world's most beautiful paintings done by our most revered artists, as well as getting historical background for many of them, you will enjoy this book immensely.
Amber
Feb 20, 2012 Amber rated it really liked it
This is a really beautiful, huge, heavy book. I found the descriptions and paintings fascinating and it was nice to be able to really look at them without the interruptions you get when you go to a museum with people - commentary, other patrons wanting to see, noise.

The CD could have been better. It is hard to navigate and the titles that you click on to see the collections blend into the background. It was nice to be able to zoom into the paintings to see the details. Did you know that Mona Li
Ayde
Aug 08, 2013 Ayde rated it it was amazing
The Louvre All The Paintings

It is a large (and heavy) and wonderful book, full of pictures and with lots of information. So it deserves more than several visits, as it does The Louvre.

While watching and admiring those pictures, I was aware of few female artists doing that extraordinary work, even though in many paintings the woman and her beauty are captured.

I wonder if there is a kind of theory related to that, because even in modern days the tendency seems to be the same. There are simply few
Julie
Dec 22, 2011 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, vine, non-fiction
This is without a doubt an extraordinary collection, compiled for the first time in a massive volume. Yes, it’s a bulky book, but once I had it on my lap, I paged through it for hours on end. Admittedly one cannot read every last description or caption, but it is a thoroughly visual experience for art lovers and novices alike. I did not watch the DVD, this is strictly a review of the contents of the pages. I appreciated the background offered in the introduction, though I read it as more of an a ...more
Steph
Jan 19, 2015 Steph rated it really liked it
Great reference book.
Christine
May 03, 2014 Christine rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book! I can't think of anything wrong with it. (Unless you are weak! Ha)
Angela
Dec 10, 2013 Angela rated it liked it
I suppose I should have expected this to be more of a "coffee-table book" than anything else. I did appreciate the quick bios of some of the artists and the opportunity to narrow my must-sees for when I (finally!) get there in person. My only real problem with the book was that all the paintings were formatted down to the same two sizes. There is a level of appreciation and comparison that is lost when everything is put in the same size box. Still, a good introduction to what the Louvre has to o ...more
Karen
Feb 21, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. Can't imagine what it took to put it together. A must for anyone with the slightest interest in paintings. This book is the 1st time I have ever seen a picture of Henry VIII's son, Edward who would have been King had he not died, instead of Elizabeth I becoming Queen for the next 45 years. How that would have changed history! You won't read every word, that would take months but you will appreciate the collection the Louve has, which is the largest museum in the world.
Ariadna73
Feb 27, 2013 Ariadna73 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography, painting
For my spanish review; go here: http://lunairereadings.blogspot.com/2...
The perfect center table decorative book. It is gorgeous; complete; educative; with beautiful pictures and great paper quality. I loved each and every page of it. It is like going to the museum; just better because there are no hordes of tourists shooting photos and not letting you see the pictures.
Jan 22, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
I did not read all of this book, but I did look at all of the book. I just wanted to peruse the Louvre collection and this book was perfect for that. The organization of the book into major collections (Italian, Northern, French, and Spanish) and the further presentation of the paintings chronologically by artist allowed for a big picture understanding of the development of painting styles by region and over time.
Chris Webber
Jul 26, 2014 Chris Webber rated it it was amazing
This book is beautiful. It is like having an art museum in your home. Just open up the front cover and you are transported into an art/culture rich environment. It's tough to abandon the pages once you're in. Such brilliance.

The book itself is high quality glossed pages and mine came with a DVD. I will treasure this book always.
Beckie
Feb 15, 2012 Beckie rated it it was amazing
While I actually didn't 'read' this book, I did go through every page and every painting. It is just too big of a book to actually sit and read unless you were studying the works or something. I would love to buy this book, though, because it is just amazing to see all of these works of art together in one book.
Brittany
Apr 16, 2013 Brittany rated it really liked it
OK, I'll admit to not reading all of it. I spent a few good hours looking at all of it tho. I didn't get a chance to see the DVD before I had to return it to the library so I have no opinion on that, but this is a really impressive and stunning (and heavy!) book!
Slightly Devious
Jan 12, 2014 Slightly Devious rated it it was amazing
An amazing collection; makes me want to go to Paris that much more.
Sean Murray
Jan 20, 2016 Sean Murray rated it really liked it
It is very literally true that sone of the paintings reproduced within are shown too small to do them justice
Annie Bigelow
Feb 09, 2012 Annie Bigelow rated it it was amazing
This book is so incredibly amazing, its like being able to walk around the Louvre any time, any where
Melissa
Nov 05, 2011 Melissa rated it it was amazing
great book to leaf through and the cd-Rom allows you to see more detail
Sandy
Jul 29, 2012 Sandy rated it it was amazing
You absolutely have to see this book to appreciate it!
Robin
Feb 11, 2013 Robin rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book of all the paintings from the louvre.
Linda
Aug 17, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing
There's nothing not to like.
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Jean-Francois Henry
Jean-Francois Henry rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Mgee
Mgee marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
BS
BS added it
Jan 29, 2016
Andy E.
Andy E. marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Suzan
Suzan rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
  • Irving Harper: Works in Paper
  • Master Pieces: The Curator's Game
  • Nomad: A Global Approach to Interior Style
  • Vargic's Miscellany of Curious Maps
  • The Organic Artist: Make Your Own Paint, Paper, Pigments, Prints and More from Nature
  • Tim Walker Pictures
  • Fushigi Circus
  • Tim Burton
  • Building Art: The Life and Work of Frank Gehry
  • David Bowie Is
  • Albrecht Dürer
  • Tragic Kingdom: The Art Of Camille Rose Garcia
  • Adobe Illustrator CS6 Classroom in a Book: The Official Training Workbook from Adobe Systems [With CDROM]
  • Alexander McQueen: Evolution