Start by marking “The Complete Idiot's Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition” as Want to Read:
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition

The healthy vegan diet-made easy.

Vegans face their own special challenges when it comes to nutrition and this book provides answers. There are about one million vegans in the U.S. and about 50,000 new ones every year. A growing number of physicians advocate a completely plant-based diet for many of their patients who suffer from diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. In The
Published August 2nd 2011 by Alpha (first published January 1st 2011)

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Idiot's Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition

Zann
Jul 13, 2016 Zann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books, health
A great introduction to plant-based nutrition. The author isn't pushing being vegan necessarily; that would require an entire section on how factory farming effects the environment as well as a section discussing the horrors of the treatment of animals on factory farms, in slaughter houses and how awful animal testing is, etc. What she IS talking about are the benefits of eating plant-based in order to maintain or regain optimal health.
I recommend this book to anyone wanting to learn more, even
Kat Lynch
Jun 07, 2012 Kat Lynch rated it liked it
Shelves: eating-the-week
The Idiot's Guide format works well with Hever's friendly writing style. She provides succinct, engaging summaries of the health benefits of plant-based diets, and the process of switching to & maintaining that diet.

Some of the contradictions in her instructions, however, could be frustrating for readers. In one section, Hever argues that there's no need to count calories as a vegan; then a few pages later, stresses that calorie restriction is important to health and longevity. How is one su
Tina Brooke
Nov 12, 2013 Tina Brooke rated it liked it
Hever's writing style is very friendly and encouraging. I find this book very informative regarding macro and micronutrients. However, as I have experienced with other 'idiot guides' is the lack of referencing whenever they mention studies and the likes. Every book I've read about veganism and plant based diets talks very highly about The China Study and it's author, so if you have read this there is probably no need to read this one, or any other so-called vegan books. The china study has all t ...more
Joshua Sears
Sep 03, 2016 Joshua Sears rated it it was amazing
After we read The China Study we decided to switch to a whole foods, plant-based diet, but it was hard at first to know what to eat to make sure we got all the right nutrients. This book was very helpful in that regard. Now instead of looking at food and just thinking about how it will taste, we also are more conscious about its nutritional properties.
Connie
Nov 06, 2014 Connie rated it liked it
Shelves: nutrition
I am glad to have an understanding of what it means to eat only plants in contrast to other health-focused nutrition. We're not going to do this in its entirety by any means, but it will definitely color my choices for what I purchase and what I cook from day to day.
Jay
Nov 20, 2014 Jay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just what I was looking for.

Lots of good info I recommend this book to everybody. Julieanna explains everything you need to know. Can't wait to read all her books.
Amber
Jul 21, 2015 Amber rated it really liked it
Wasn't looking to go vegan, but this is helpful in learning about plants and their nutrition values.
Malissa
Jul 24, 2014 Malissa rated it it was amazing
Very useful for beginners. Most things I already knew, but some of the reasoning behind it that I had forgotten was helpful. I mainly bought this book for the information about diet while pregnant, and it was useful. I felt a bit overwhelmed with exactly how to apply the information on pregnancy into everyday, however. How do I know for sure I'm getting the nutrients I need, or too much of something from supplements? I think that's a balance that every one has to find for themselves, and not str ...more
Kristyn
Sep 16, 2011 Kristyn rated it really liked it
This book is a great resource for those who want to move toward plant-based eating. Hever details all the macro- and micronutrients one needs. She also provides a helpful guide to "nutrifying" any recipe (basically, adding leafy greens or other vegetables). The book is thorough in its guide to removing animal products and processed foods, too.

The middle section isn't impressive, just basic info a lot of people already know. Also, ignore the annoying adjectives and adverbs she uses.
Sara
Jan 04, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it
If you're curious about a plant-based diet, this book breaks the information down in a really user-friendly way. It's organized by category so you can flip around to different sections easily and not necessarily read it straight through. The chapter on vitamins, minerals, and supplements is extremely helpful. With each vitamin and mineral there's a list of foods rich in that particular thing. There's also a short recipe section in the back.
Anna
Aug 20, 2016 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lektura warta polecenia, nie tylko dla wegan. Książka podzielona jest na trzy części - pierwsza przedstawia podstawowe informacje dotyczące żywienia, druga jest bardziej nakierowana na dietę wegańską, natomiast część trzecia to przykładowe przepisy. Zawarte w książce informacje są przydatne i przedstawione w zrozumiały, przyjazny dla czytelnika sposób. Porządna porcja praktycznej (i teoretycznej) wiedzy dla każdego, kto interesuje się tym, co je.
Hannah
Aug 12, 2012 Hannah rated it really liked it
Reading about diet and nutrition and mental and physical well being is one of my favorite topics to read about. I enjoyed this whole book thoroughly and one thing I took from this is not only the importance of healthy eating but also of exercise, basically eating healthy is going to do a lot for you but without exercise you are not going to reap the full benefits of all of the healthy eating. It inspired me to get moving!
Laura Hoffman Brauman
Feb 21, 2013 Laura Hoffman Brauman rated it really liked it
Great source of general information on the whys and the hows of doing a plant based diet. Got into some of the science- which I liked, but did it in layman's terms that were easy to understand and apply. Also had some good recipes at the back that I'm looking forward to trying.
Miriam
Like most Complete Idiot guide it doesn't contain anything groundbreaking, but Hever's tone is more encouraging and less preachy than most vegan writers that I've encountered. I haven't tried any of the recipes yet; once I do I may revise my review.
Kimberlyhdm
Jan 23, 2012 Kimberlyhdm rated it really liked it
Clearly written, well presented argument for, basically, eating more plants instead of heavily processed meat substitutes, dairy, and other unhealthy food. I've already started enjoying some of the recipes and plan to cook more of them.
Londi
Jan 14, 2015 Londi added it
Shelves: never-finished
I can't rate this. I couldn't get past the first chapter. I didn't want a book telling me to go vegan. I wanted a book with information on the benefits of eating mostly plant based. not try and convince me to go soley vegan because the author thinks I'll die otherwise....
Julian Pecenco
Mar 12, 2014 Julian Pecenco rated it it was ok
Shelves: left-unfinished
Having very recently read Becoming Vegan by Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina, this book contained the same information, but in far less detail. I just couldn't convince myself to keep reading. Had I read this first, I might have seen the point in reading the whole thing.
Ellen Broadhurst
Feb 11, 2012 Ellen Broadhurst rated it really liked it
Interesting, but at the end of the day, we are never going to be vegans. It was a great book for getting tips on what foods to use to fill in more "meatless days" in our meal planning. At the heart of it, I wish there were more recipes.
Elizabeth Johnson
May 07, 2013 Elizabeth Johnson rated it it was ok
Shelves: nf-general
This gave a rather broad overview of plant-based nutrition, both diet and lifestyle considerations. I gave only 2 stars because it lacked depth, and was far too simplified for anyone even slightly familiar with the subject. However, it did have some good recipes at the end!
Syl
Feb 17, 2013 Syl rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, favorites
Full of good ideas, easy to read and understand.
Tracy
Sep 05, 2013 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Very informative, a must read.
Cassey Jenkins
Dec 29, 2012 Cassey Jenkins rated it really liked it
I was looking for a nutrition book that included the science of nutrition. This book has a lot of helpful info on vitamin and mineral sources in food to help make sure you get everything.
Danielle
Sep 18, 2012 Danielle rated it really liked it
Not going vegan, but found it full of good ideas for veggie cooking.
Terri
Really great resource with loads of helpful hints and great recipes. I'll probably be buying this one :)
Natalie
Mar 02, 2012 Natalie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
A helpful, basic guide to those interested in a plant-based diet. Much will be review for long-term vegans, but there are new tips and tricks here, too.
Richard
Sep 13, 2012 Richard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: project-2012
This book left me informed, empowered and deliciously optimistic…
Trisha
Jun 04, 2013 Trisha rated it really liked it
This book helps me want to feed my children more healthy food.
Colleen Cook
Colleen Cook rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2017
Kayleen
Kayleen rated it really liked it
May 16, 2014
Carla
Carla rated it it was ok
Apr 14, 2016
The Complete Idio...: Julieanna Hever's Indian Hummus Dip 1 3 Jul 12, 2012 07:01AM
  • Unprocessed: How to Achieve Vibrant Health and Your Ideal Weight
  • Skinny Bitch Book of Vegan Swaps
  • The Starch Solution: Eat the Foods You Love, Regain Your Health, and Lose the Weight for Good!
  • Vegan for Life: Everything You Need to Know to Be Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet
  • Thrive Foods: 200 Plant-Based Recipes for Peak Health
  • The Vegan Girl's Guide to Life: Cruelty-Free Crafts, Recipes, Beauty Secrets and More
  • The 30-Day Vegan Challenge (New Edition): The Ultimate Guide to Eating Healthfully and Living Compassionately
  • Quick-Fix Vegetarian: Healthy Home-Cooked Meals in 30 Minutes or Less (Quick-Fix Cooking)
  • Practically RAW: Flexible Raw Recipes Anyone Can Make
  • Vegan for Her: The Woman's Guide to Being Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet
  • Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure
  • The Engine 2 Diet: The Texas Firefighter's 28-Day Save-Your-Life Plan that Lowers Cholesterol and Burns Away the Pounds
  • 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart: Boost Metabolism, Lower Cholesterol, and Dramatically Improve Your Health
  • The Happy Herbivore Cookbook: Over 175 Delicious Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes
  • Beg: A Radical New Way of Regarding Animals