Start by marking “Always in My Heart” as Want to Read:
Always in My Heart

Always in My Heart

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,150 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Following the death of their eldest son, Ellie and Tucker Grant divorce and gradually make the transition into separate lives. But their two sons Zach and Kody are convinced that their parents are still meant to be together. The brothers hatch a plan to run away from home into the Oregon wilderness. Surely Ellie and Tucker will come to their rescue--and their senses.
Paperback, Alt Cover for ISBN: 9780451206664
Published by Penguin Group (first published August 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Always in My Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Always in My Heart

Booklover
Completed this book today must say such a beautiful story of giving love a second chance,a try to re-build the family that is broken after a tragedy followed by divorce

Tucker and Ellie Grant divorced after the death of their oldest son, whom each felt guilt and blame over the tragic accident that killed him. 3 years later, the two remaining sons, run away into the mountains refusing to come back until their parents get back together, forcing Tucker and Ellie to spend time together tracking the
Catherine
After starting this book, I was almost positive that I wouldn't like it. The heroine, Ellie, seemed like a bitter ex-wife who was trying to play at being a martyr-mom. Everything she did was for her kids. She lived and breathed solely to be there for them and never thought of herself. Her whole life was for them and she was critical of her ex for not being as dedicated as she was. She apparently hadn't even been able to shave in two weeks because the time she'd waste on that was precious time sh ...more
Sara
This book reminds me of one of those unrealistically perfect Hallmark movies with a tiny bit of Lifetime thrown in there. Giant tragedy strikes a family and tears husband and wife apart, but after a few days in the wilderness they're back in each other's arms and it was like the divorce never happened. Kids pull a stunt that nearly gets one of them killed near the end, their wacky plan works and they don't even get a slap on the wrist. Love interests that mainly serve as plot devices to drive th ...more
JLC
Gotta admit that this book made me teary eyed @ the end when the H&h discussed their son's death. However, I was so put off how CA made the h dumpy & "awful" looking w/a butchered haircut & a chunky new BF & while the H was sexy & "better looking than before” w/a gorgeous, hot GF - - - it was too little too late for the book's redemption for me.

Being CA is the author of 1 of my favorite bks, "Annie's Song", we're still good. I'll just forget this 1 & move on.
Liz
Mar 26, 2008 Liz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I loved this book. I got so attached to the characters. I hurt, cried, laughed and loved right along with them. I loved this book so much I'm going to start reading more of Catherine Anderson's books. What a wonderful read, I couldn't put it down. Having children myself made this book even more enjoyable.
Rashika (is tired)
Are you sure the main characters are in their 30s because in that case I am probably in my 50s.

I have no idea how those kids came up with a plan like that... I feel stupid.

And.. wow.... how good could their relationship be if they faced so many communication problems? I do not understand.

I am confused.

Robin
Tucker and Ellie Grant were devastated when their oldest son was killed in an accident. Their grief eventually led to their divorce. Now three years later, Ellie has a new job and a new house, Tucker has a new girlfriend, and they are getting on with their lives. But the kids aren't buying it. Zach and Kody know that their parents still love each other, so they come up with a plan to get them back together. They'll run away into the Oregon Wilderness and stay there until their parents agree to g ...more
Wendy
Dec 21, 2008 Wendy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance lovers
Enjoyable Book! You will love the storyline of this one. The couple is divorced, their kids are unhappy and take it upon themselves to get them back together. The kids run away to the wilderness and Things just get interesting from there. A really fun read.
Maria
Jan 23, 2009 Maria rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maria by: Jayne Ann Krentz
Shelves: romance
A heart-wrencher, this book had me crying and laughing and pulling wholeheartedly for all the characters in this family of four. If you enjoy backpacking as I do, that was an added plus.
★¸. • * ° * Blanka*°°*•.¸. ♥★

Two years ago, Ellie Grant would have fallen apart at any reminder of her ex-husband, Tucker. But now she doesn't bat an eye when "their song" comes on the radio. She's unfazed by the thought of Tucker's perky new girlfriend. Ellie Grant is over him. And things are better for Tucker as well. The single life agrees with him. And certainly they've both done a good job of being civil to each other, for their sons' sake.

But the kids aren't buying it. Zach and Kody are convinced that, deep down, thei
Sheri
This is a wonderful book. The best of those I've read by this author.

Elle and Tucker are each other's one and only. They were each other's first and remained deeply in love and committed until the accidental death of their oldest child. The story opens three years after the death. Tucker and Elle are divorced and their family fractured. Individually just beginning to come to terms with their grief, neither realize their two sons' lives are falling apart.

The kids decide to get mom and dad back t
Lulu
Nov 01, 2012 Lulu rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: For people who love touching "happily ever afters"
I really loved this book and was kind of suprised that I actually enjoyed it. When I first read the book summaries, I thought that this would be a very boring story with a jealous and resentful ex-wife still "holding a torch" for her ex-husband and not wanting him to move on with his life. Plus, with the coincidence of confused kids trying to patch up a broken marrige, I thought this story would totally fail to intrest me.

But, it totally exceeded my expectations and it was so moving and touching
Jennifer Defoy
I did like this book, but it took me forever to read. It was almost the end of the book before I got "hooked". The writing was good enough to keep me going, and the story itself was pretty good I just couldn't get into the groove with this one.

I can't even imagine being in Ellie's position. How she managed to keep going, given everything that she's been through was a feat in itself. Then to have to deal with her kid's hair brained plan... There would be two sorry kids if that was me. At the beg
Beth Pearson
I liked this book because it is about 2 people that have already fallen in love, gotten married, and then lost the love and romance.
So, right from the get-go it is not your typical romance characters. No one is filthy rich, or of royal blood, although the man does still have a nice body. I could deal with that though.

By running away from home and hiding in the wilderness, their kids hope to give them plenty of time to spend with each other and fall in love again. Very real sounding characters
Kat
Christine
A story of romance rekindled. Tucker and Ellie, though very much in love, fell to pieces at the death of their eldest son and ended up a getting a divorce. Their two remaining sons run away into the wilderness in a desperate attempt to get their parents back together again. The story took us through grief, loss, heartbreak, joy, and reconciliation. Though dramatized, the core of the family's problems were very believable. and it was easy to see how each person's grief blinded them to the trouble ...more
Vicki Burner
One of my favorites!

Real life at it most gripping with well developed characters and believability. passionate storyline moments building into the story s end.

Wish everyone could read this amazing book.
Michelle
couple divorces after the death of a child. After three years their other kids run away to get the parents back together.
Crystal Robinson
What an admirable book! All it took were the first few pages to lure me in. This emotional love story is one that shows how a family that was grief stricken by the loss of their son, was torn apart. In a plea to get their family back together, the two boys run away forcing the parents to spend time together with the hope that they will reconcile their differences. In this wonderfully detailed story, you feel like you are with the characters while they recount what happened to their marriage when ...more
Debra
Sue
Good read, anyone having experienced the loss of child and what that can do to marriage can definitely feel for this couple. The twist is this feels like the parent trap where the kids left behind decide to fix their parents broken marriage. Why this isn't a 4 star is ... it went on too long, 420 pages was really pushing the limit here. It was about 75 pages to long. But that's my only problem with it as long as you love the whole parent trap theme.
Dinjolina
I love this book!
I just did a re-read of it, an realized i was still in love with it.

Oh and a big Hooorah! for the author that did not make the hero go around the block after his divorce. The premises that this couple oly had each other in their beds all their lives made me smile a sappy smile because it never happens in cont romances.
Good for you to think out of the box,Mrs.Author. :)
I felt like once they knew the boys were leading them on, they could have parked it and saved themselves a lot of exhaustion. But then there wouldn't be as much story. ;)
Good, overall.
Mandy
Sweet story on how a family deals with their grief after the death of a child. I felt that Ellie was developed more as a character than Tucker or it just could be that I really connected with her. I just really enjoyed the story and would've given it a 4 but the secondary characters were predictable and a total nuisance and the accidents toward the end were very predictable!
Haley

I'm torn on this one. In a way I liked the emotion and premise but I got sick of reading about outdoorsy stuff because it doesn't interest me. Once the couple got back together I just skimmed to the end because I wasn't really interested in them finding the kids after they've spent like a week in utter misery following two pre-teens through the woods.
Cary
I'm not sure why it was just OK but it was. How about 1) You knew how the plot would work after about 50 pages -- no great twists or turns 2) You sort of cared about the characters 3) Seems to me most people I know who divorce are not still in love with their ex 4) Too much outdoorsy live off the land kind of knowledge dumped into the plot.
Jacque
Two young boys run away to try and get mom and dad back together again. When I think of my children trying a stunt like that it terrifies me. The first thing I would have done is call the police. The stress and worry of looking for the missing boys works wonders on mom and dad's relationship though.
KimKirt
There were times when I really enjoyed this book, and times when the H/H just didn't click for me. Overall I would put it in the "I liked it" category. The ending was just a little too perfect for me. I like when everything wraps up nicely, but this one had a few too many perfect bows on it.
Lynn
was agitated at the begining with the "hot" girlfriend for him and the pudgy boyfriend for her...but the book was wonderful....one i got over being mad and let myself enjoy the book...lol. I cried and i laughed and i empathized with the characters and their choices.
  • The Ultimate Betrayal
  • Some Enchanted Season (Bethlehem, #2)
  • The Fourth Child
  • Crescendo
  • His Ordinary Life (Hearts of the South, #2)
  • Santiago's Love-Child
  • Maggie's Dad
  • Reason to Believe
  • The Blackmail Pregnancy (Modern Romance)
  • The Failed Marriage
  • The Greek's Christmas Baby (Kouros Brothers Duo, #2; Greek Tycoons, #3)
  • Summer's End
  • One Fine Day (Molly, #2)
  • Three Weddings and a Kiss
  • Marriage Meltdown
  • The You I Never Knew
  • A Place to Call Home
  • Still the One
(1)romance author:
Adeline Catherine was born on 22 December 1948 in in Grants Pass, Oregon, USA. She always yearned to be a writer like her mother. The morning that one of her professors asked if she could use samples of Catherine’s creative writing on an overhead projector
More about Catherine Anderson...
Annie's Song Baby Love Comanche Moon (Comanche, #1) Phantom Waltz My Sunshine

“Afterward, she hooked a limp arm around his neck, buried her face against his shoulder, and whispered, "Don't ever get hypothermia with anyone but me.” 2 likes
“We are like guests on this Earth, either we get to be nice or we get to be bad” 1 likes