Start by marking “The Wind in the Willows (Young Classics)” as Want to Read:
The Wind in the Willows (Young Classics)
Read Book* *Different edition

The Wind in the Willows (Young Classics)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  107,619 ratings  ·  2,989 reviews
One of the most celebrated works of classic literature for children

Meet little Mole, willful Ratty, Badger the perennial bachelor, and petulant Toad. In the almost one hundred years since their first appearance in 1908, they've become emblematic archetypes of eccentricity, folly, and friendship. And their misadventures-in gypsy caravans, stolen sports cars, and their Wild
Published March 23rd 2000 by Dorling Kindersley Publishers Ltd (first published 1908)

To ask other readers questions about The Wind in the Willows, please sign up.

Vicky Hunt No, hadn't thought to compare until you mentioned it. What conclusions have you drawn from your own reading? I will add that I am probably…moreNo, hadn't thought to compare until you mentioned it. What conclusions have you drawn from your own reading? I will add that I am probably under-versed in the newer children's lit and I am more familiar with "Mister Ed" than I am with Bojack Horseman. Also, I have to say that I enjoy the truly anthropomorphic nature of Grahame's birds, for example, even more than the animals who act human in a way that is less believable for their own nature, like in Charlotte's Web or Babe.(less)

J. Aleksandr Wootton
Trying to review The Wind in the Willows is a strange undertaking. In the introduction to my copy, A. A. Milne wrote:

"One can argue over the merits of most books... one does not argue about The Wind in the Willows. The young man gives it to the girl with whom he is in love, and if she does not like it, he asks her to return his letters. The old man tries it on his nephew, and alters his will accordingly. ... When you sit down to [read] it, don't be so ridiculous as to suppose you are sitting in
Anthony D Buckley
This book was written in 1908, when the world was being shaken by the newly self-confident masses. Women were propagandising for the vote; the Irish were demanding Home Rule; the Trade Unions were showing their strength. Socialism theatened. A spectre was haunting Europe, and particularly England.

Wind in the Willows is an elegant parable about class struggle, about the dangers of decadant country-house-living in the face of powerful revolutionary forces.

There are maybe four generations in the
Jason Koivu
Lavishly described meandering adventures of the mild nature.

The Wind in the Willows has an intrinsically English flavor. The characters are happy to live their ordinary lives with only a hint of interest in the wider world. Too strong of an adventurous spiritedness is considered uncouth. Such hearty frivolity as Toad's is frowned upon to the utmost!

Unfortunately this goes for the author, too. Kenneth Grahame's plots are not terribly gripping due to their lack of depth. He seems pleased rather
Manny
PART TWO OF PETER JACKSON'S THE WIND IN THE WILLOWS (CONCLUSION)

[Night. Toad Hall, interior. STEPHEN FRY as TOAD and ORLANDO BLOOM as BADGER are in the middle of a wild melée with numerous STOATS and WEASELS.]

BADGER: It's no good, Toad! There's too many of them! [With a blow of his cudgel, he knocks a WEASEL into the open fire.]

TOAD: We can hold them off, Badger old chap!

[EVANGELINE LILLY as a HOT BADGER-BABE crashes through the window and lands next to them.]

BADGER: [Choked with emotion] You ca
Chris
This is one of those books I want to love; I REALLY, really want to love this book. I've read so many essays by book lovers who have fond, childhood memories of being read this by their father, or who ushered in spring each year by taking this book to a grassy field and reading this in the first warm breezes of May. I want to find the tea and boating and wooded English countryside to be slow yet sonoriously comforting, like a Bach cello suite or a warm cup of cider on a cool April night.

But I j
Terry
Ok, second attempt at a review after the damn interwebs ate my last one. Luckily I’m composing this one offline first.

To me Kenneth Grahame’s _The Wind in the Willows_ is a particularly fine novel. It’s a children’s story and normally that would get my back up. I’m generally not a big fan of children’s lit or YA, and to add to this I didn’t even read this book as a child and thus have the requisite rose-coloured glasses to lend credence to my love for the story. Somehow, however, this tale of th
Nathan
I found Wind in the Willows to be one of those rare books that contains true joy. Several times since I have moved in with the Kenyons, I have gotten in a disagreement with another opinionated member of the household over the value of "dark" literature versus "light" literature. "It is so easy to write about dark things," she might say. "Why don't we focus on happiness?" I think when most people read a "happy" story, they find it shallow, unrealistic, and boorish since, as any random perusal of ...more
Ron
They don't write books like The Wind in the Willows anymore.

Today's books for children are sly rhymes, action and social engineering. Wind belongs to an older, more innocent time when even accomplished men such as Kenneth Grahame, A. A. Milne and J. R. R. Tolkien invented stories for their children.

Stories which over the years became classics of literature.
Wind isn't a fairy tale so much as it's life told for those who will inherit it. Told by those who love the inheritors.

Even if you've read
Laurie
"The real way to travel... The only way to travel! O bliss! O poop-poop!... What carts I shall fling into the ditch! Horrid carts-- common carts-- canary-coloured carts!.... Me complain of that beautiful, heavenly vision! That swan, that sunbeam, that thunderbolt!"

--Frog on automobiles
Pamela
I feel like I am the only person in the universe to not *get* this book. Perhaps I am not really human, but rather a troll or some other such hard-hearted creature.

I suppose my main issue with this book is that I couldn't quite understand the world that Mr. Grahame created. Pithy words of wisdom on What It Means To Be A Child tell us that children don't have preconceptions and thus accept things more readily, being shaped only by the prejudices of adults. I assume most people would use that arg
Sue
Nov 12, 2011 Sue rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sue by: Anne Reach and Judy
I found myself smiling as I finished this reading of The Wind in the Willows. Yes I enjoyed the tale of Rat and Mole and Badger and Toad and all the other assorted animals and their people who populate that corner of England.

What struck me most during this reading, which is my second as far as I recall, is that this just doesn't feel like a children's book in so many ways. The language is so rich. The descriptions, whether of characters or places, are so full. I find this better in some ways as
Kimmie
I forgot how much I loved this book. Previous reviewers I have read seem to find it wordy or cumbersome. Personally, I find it beautifully descriptive. I am currently reading it to my 3 and 4 year old boys at bed time, a half a chapter at a time, and they seem to be enjoying it, as well. No, its not a quick, easy read, but it is worth it for all the lost vocabulary that we see so seldom in modern author's works.
Alex
Jun 25, 2015 Alex rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: boring grown-ups
I was suspicious of this book when I was a kid. It's all, "Hey kids, here's a fun story about talking animals," right? And I was like no, this is just you banging on about trees. This is a pastoral poem in disguise. It's boring. This book is like the guy who comes into your classroom and sits backwards on a chair all, "Sammy the sock puppet is here to talk about abstinence!" It's like when your mom was like "I froze this banana and it's just as good as a popsicle!" It is not. Mom is full of shit ...more
Rhiannon
I picked this book up at a library sale for about $2. I'm reading it aloud to the kids as "bedtime stories." We're also intermittenly watching a few of the million movie versions.

At first the kids stared blankly off into space as I read, as the words are bigger and more complex even than the ones I use with them (and more than a few people have taken notice of how "big" I speak to my kids). Even I had to read pages a second time to understand what exactly we were reading about. But once we got i
helen the bookowl
This book has everything that you need in a children's book! Caricature animals, morals in disguise, adventure and humour. It also has a special ambiance about it that makes you feel safe and content while reading this story. I'm surprised I haven't read it before, because I know I would've absolutely loved it as a child.
My favourite character was the Mole; however, the absurd and stupid Mr. Toad cracked me up, and I ended up absolutely loving him as well. I also loved the setting of the woods
Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my BEDTIME STORIES list.

I have a little boy and love reading to him, so this reading list will cover the classic (and new) children’s stories we’re enjoying together.

The Wind in the Willows is a funny old book, isn’t it?

The adventures of Ratty, Mole and th
Knjigoholičarka
To je prijateljstvo, kada trpiš nečije budalaštine, pa mu opet na kraju pomogneš i sve oprostiš.

Krtice, nemoj da veslaš!
Krtica uzme da vesla i prevrne čamac.
Krtice, nemoj u Mračnu Šumu!
Krtica ode u Mračnu Šumu, izgubi se i povredi nogu.
Žabac, okani se automobila, ne znaš da voziš!
Žabac ukrade auto, posvađa se sa policijom, završi u mardelju i kuću mu okupiraju lasice i tvorovi.

Prijateljstvo, pravo prijateljstvo, pa, to je najčistija forma bezuslovne ljubavi. :)
Candi
The audio version of this timeless classic was very charming! This was actually my very first audio book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am not certain that this format will work for me with very many books, but it certainly proved to be quite entertaining here. Narrated by Alan Bennett, this version featured some of the voices from Alan Bennett’s stage adaptation at the National Theater in 1990. The music and sound effects really added to the experience for me and the various voices were so much ...more
Mark Hoppus
I'd never read this book before this week. I always thought it a children's book, but the themes seem more geared toward adults/young adults. The terrific descriptions of the English countryside and its lifestyle remind me why I like being there so much. I also love the way Grahame anthropomorphises everything. Example: Toad was called at an early hour; partly by the bright sunlight streaming in on him, partly by the exceeding coldness of his toes, which made him dream that he was at home in bed ...more
Jan-Maat
A late Edwardian children's book that ends with the imposition by force of the traditional squirearchical social order on the upstart lower orders as represented by Weasels, Stoats and Ferrets.

It is a through introduction to traditional British conservatism, of the Country Life rather than the Economist variety, for children with a side order of mild paganism. As such is an unwitting counterpoint to The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists.

As with How to Read Donald Duck, once you look at it and shr
Carrie
Dec 16, 2009 Carrie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is my favourite book of all time.
Perhaps it is the very Timelessness of the Tale that makes it so appealing.
I love the ambience; reminiscent of gentler times, unencumbered by the material frippery, with which we surround ourselves in this rapid and relentless 21st Century.
I never tire of reading the exquisite dialogue; check out the one about the door mat! Just thinking about Ratty and his love affair with the peaceful riverbank, makes me calm and flow!
Toad is infuriating with his fads an
Nicola
I know this is a lot of people's favourite children's book and I really want to love it too but I just don't. I've read a lot of children's novels and for me there are others that are better.

I find the story just too jumpy. It doesn't flow well, with random stories being dropped into it. The one that comes to mind quickest is the tale about the missing child. That's just weird, has no connection to the rest of the book and is actually a little disturbing.

I quite like the characters of rat, mole
Alice Poon
I’ve just finished “The Wind in the Willows” by Kenneth Grahame. I’m giving it 5 stars out of 5 because I was absolutely bewitched by the endearing animal characters, the spellbinding scenery and the sometimes touching, sometimes hilarious twists and turns of the story. The minute description of English rural scenery shows the author’s genuine love of the place where he spent his boyhood – the enchanting Berkshire countryside and Thames River vicinity. I would recommend this book to anyone who l ...more
Jason
British woodland creatures who wear tweed. If you don't like this in a book, what do you like? It was a really fun, light read, and I chuckled so many times. The illustrations by Shepard are also excellent. Rat definitely has some great outfits that Shepard just captures.
Lea
I was grown up with kids of my own before I ever read The Wind in the Willows. How in the world is that possible?! The story is truly magical -- we follow Mole as he breaks out of his boring routine and ventures out into the world. Along the way he meets Ratty, who introduces him to several other wonderful characters, and serves as his guide and protector in this new life.

Mole is described in such wonderful terms by the author, who notes his velvety fur (as well as his reserved nature). As a sh
Kathy Worrell  ツ
I am so glad to have finally read this wonderful, heart warming, 107 year old adventure.

The Wind in the Willows is about an anthropomorphic Rat, a Mole, a Badger, and my favorite: a Toad.

I am amazed at the beauty of the words the author uses in a children's story. The characters were charming, endearing, and witty.

I read the Kindle version of this book, but love it so much that I'm going to go order a hard copy.

Wayne
Mar 07, 2009 Wayne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the child in us all
Recommended to Wayne by: compulsory reading in second year of High School
LATER:
Hard to let go of a book like this especially when the illustrations so mirror the text.
Such lovable characters in humble Mole, caring and indulgent Ratty, and the daunting but fatherly Badger, except it is difficult to warm to the deceitful and conceited Toad whose transformation is scarely credible, but he supplies so much fun and absurd adventures that one wants to believe!!
The rest of the book is about friendship and shared moments, home and hearth, the urge to travel and the love an
Julie Davis
So you've begun to get really busy at work and you're feeling stressed out.

Then you watched The Sixth Sense (by yourself, after dark) so you can discuss it on a podcast.

And finally, you just know you're going to have nightmares and possibly be afraid of the dark if you wake up having to make that trip out of bed ... based on the last time you watched that darned movie.

What do you do?

What DO you do?

You pull out your trusty copy of The Wind in the Willows, that's what.

This gentle, imaginative tale
Dem
I never had the opportunity to read Wind in the Willows as a child and it is great to finally get to read this book as an adult, I am not entirely sure I would have enjoyed this as an 8-10 year old girl as the language is a little stiff and proper for a child and also for the fact there are no girls in the story.

I think it would make a fantastic read aloud book to a child as I can imagine putting voices to all the characters.

The Wind in the Willows book is a classic tale of animals and river li
Amber
This was my first time reading Wind in the Willows and it was a pretty good read. It reminded me of the Disney animated special that I saw as a kid. I enjoyed the escapades of Mole, Badger, Ratty, and Mr. Toad. Reccomended to anyone that enjoys a good story.
The Ocelot Clubhouse: The Wind in the Willows 1 1 Jun 30, 2015 05:57PM
#moodboosting - What do you read to make you feel better? 55 196 Apr 26, 2015 08:37PM
All About Books: Week 38 - The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame 13 56 Mar 07, 2015 03:27AM
  • The Tale of Johnny Town-Mouse
  • Swallows and Amazons (Swallows and Amazons, #1)
  • Five Children and It (Five Children, #1)
  • Puck of Pook's Hill
  • Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)
  • When We Were Very Young (Winnie-the-Pooh, #3)
  • Arabel's Raven (Arabel and Mortimer, #1)
  • The Borrowers Aloft (The Borrowers #4)
  • The Willows in Winter (Tales of the Willows, #1)
  • The Little White Horse
  • The King of the Golden River
  • The Hunting of the Snark
The Reluctant Dragon Toad of Toad Hall (Wind In the Willows) The Adventures of Mr. Toad: From The Wind in the Willows The Golden Age Dream Days

“Spring was moving in the air above and in the earth below and around him, penetrating even his dark and lowly little house with its spirit of divine discontent and longing.” 1034 likes
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” 173 likes