Blank-133x176
Tangled Roots

G.G. Vandagriff

Tangled Roots (Alex and Briggie #3)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  291 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2008)

Jeanette
By the time I got to reading this third book in the Alex Campbell genealogy mystery series I was really questioning why I was still reading the series. I was hopeful that maybe the passage of time between the second and third book would equal a better book. My hopes were dashed in the first few pages.
In Tangled Roots Alex Campbell is investigating the family history of a teenage girl who has been institutionalized by her parents for supposed drug use. The premise for the story was just weak and...more
Shawn Ruth
I found the premise to this book dumb and unrealisitic. Two women have a geneology detective agency where they are hired by hospitals to find out a patient's geneology and how the ancestors may have an effect on that patient's psychological state. What hospital would actually do that? It also seems random that someone's great-great grandfather MIGHT have affected the patient somehow so why don't we do some geneology to find out? And there are supposedly enough requests for this kind of geneology...more
Linnae
Holly is in a drug rehab facility, but insists that she's not a druggie. Her parents aren't talking, but they seem scared for some reason. Alex and her business partner Briggie, cofounders of a family history search company called Roots, Inc., agree to do a genogram of Holly's family history to see if they can help get to the bottom of her troubles. In the process they uncover an unsolved murder, a huge inheritance, and several previously unknown relatives, all of whom may or may not be eligible...more
Marci
I'm liking more and more the solving of crimes through genealogical research part of this series, but I'm less and less happy with the romance and religious elements. The genealogical puzzle was terrifically challenging, and Alex and Briggie's research quite interesting to follow. It's also a fun thing that Alex's mother has recovered enough to want to assist and that Alex and Briggie don't have problems with including her.

But the romantic triangle is irritating, unsatisfying in its indetermina...more
Annabeth
Read the book completely, thinking it would be better since it was written 20-some years later....the writing STYLE was much better. Not nearly as choppy. But the twists and turns were a bit much. And it is so confusing to have main characters' names so similar: Glady's and Grace and Gwenyth, and William Williams, and William Williams Jr, etc. Out of a million names, could the author not have chosen names that wouldn't blend together as bad as the story blends together?!
Sandra Strange
Interesting premise: mystery series based on a genealogist's findings and the implications of family roots tangles. This one is fairly well written. The romance element is a bit much and pretty stereotypical (choosing between "good" and "mysterious" guys), and unfortunately the ending has a contrived feeling. The mystery is well revealed until the ending. It's worth reading if you have some free time to spare.
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
I'm reading this book and I am enjoying it. I didn't realize that there are two books before this. It's about 2 women who solve mysteries using geneology. An interesting concept. There are two books that come before this one. I didn't realize that when I started reading. I'll have to check them out.
Universitybabe
I missed that this is the third book in the bunch so I missed a lot of character development reading it first. A family history mystery to solve has a lot of suspense but I only finished it to feel like I accomplished something.
Naomi
Excellent book! Has a really thick plot that you don't figure out until the end!!!! Plus you can really relate to the main character and you fall in love with the men in it! Definitely a good read!!!
Erika
Clunky- couldn't make it past the first 30 pages. Might have gotten better but decided I had other books that would more likely pull me in by the end of my third sitting!
Robyn Dexter
Started reading and even after a few chapters, I wasn't able to get into it. Writing style was not very good and was somewhat choppy. Not really interested in finishing it.
Julie
This was a fun mystery. It wove you through the characters family genealogy. It was fun tracking the line.
Oct 09, 2011 Sarah marked it as tried-and-failed  ·  review of another edition
I was randomly given this book for free at a party. Just don't care to read it.
Professional genealogist Alexandra Campbell and her partner Brighamina Poulson are once more brought to life by G. G. Vandagriff in her latest genealogical mystery, Tangled Roots. In this adventure, Alex and Briggie find themselves in snow-covered Chicago suburbs, delving into a family tree full of murder, apparent suicide, marital scandal, and long-buried secrets; both are very happy to have Briggie’s deer rifle close at hand before the plot finishes its twists and turns.

What starts out as a f...more
LDS Fiction. Third book in the "Alex and Briggie" series. Professional genealogists and amateur sleuths are Alexandra Campbell and her partner in RootSearch Inc., Brighamina Poulson. They are both widows. Briggie, a grandmother of nine, while Alex is a recent widow still coming to terms with the sudden and tragic death of her husband. Briggie hails from pioneer stock in the LDS Church while Alex is a relatively recent convert.

In this episode Alex and Briggie are called upon to use their genealog...more
Kathryn
Chrystal
Linda Cole
Interesting

Interesting

who knew finding out who your ancestry would lead to kidnapping and murder. easier to read than the first two
Susan
This is another exciting Alex Campbell and Brighamina Poulsen murder mystery. I love how genealogy can solve a murder, which seems to follow Alex. Even Alex's mother gets caught up in the search. Her cousin Charles, introduced in "Of Deadly Decent", becomes a major player in this novel--even so far as his telling Alex he's in love with her. Besides the excitement of the chase, one wonders what will happen between Alex and Daniel now that Charles has declared himself.
Ndshill
This book was given to me by a friend. I read this one and the next one, HIDDEN BRANCH and enjoyed them both, So I sent off for the first in this series, CANKERED ROOTS. I enjoy genealogy and a good mystery. This series combines both in a satisfying way. The characters are engaging and I have now become fond of them. I will read all five in the series.
Terry
If you enjoy mystery, tied in with history, you should enjoy any books written by this author. Plus her books are very clean. I always think that the sign of a good author is someone who can write a book that keeps the reader's attention without a bunch of smut and coarse language--anyone can do that stuff!
I liked this book. I could really imagine these characters and they were fun for me. There is a book that was written before this one that I haven't read yet, but it didn't stop me from understanding anything in this one. It is a fun mystery, genealogy, love triangle etc... A fun read.
Pat
It took me a long time to get into this book. Something about the way it is written was confusing for me and hard to keep straight. It did pick up about half way through and got better for me.
Interesting concept - solving crimes through genealogy...
Teri
I absolutely loved this third book after G G. had a long break from writing. This was much better than the prvious two. Am looking forward to the next installment of Alex and Briggie. If you love genealogy, you'll love this series.
Mindy
Another great book by this author! At times I had to work hard to keep everything straight since events were happening so fast. I would definitely recommend this series of books to anyone who loves a good mystery! :)
Kay
This is the 3rd book in the series and it was equally as entertaining as the first two. I like how genealogy leads the two main characters, Alex and Briggie into many dangerous situations, even murder
Lynne
Since I love genealogy and mysteries, this was a perfect match. I need to read the previous books to totally understand the references in this book. I will read more by this author. This is a relaxing read.
Heather
This Book took me a long time to get into. I won't say it is my favorite, but i was surprised. . . and that doesn't happen a lot so i think it deserves good review for originality.
Susan Tietjen
Good story and a unique platform. It was only average for me in the mystery department and I felt like the characters were a little shallow, but I liked it enough to read on.
Mabeo
Again, her mysteries are great but Alex's personal life is a mess. She doesn't seem to know what she wants and I guess I just expect more from such a great mystery writer.
GG Vandagriff's books 1 4 Oct 10, 2009 05:51AM
  • House of Secrets (A Shandra Covington Mystery, #1)
  • Abandoned
  • Isabelle Webb: Legend of the Jewel
  • Vanished (Maggie McKenzie Mystery, #1)
  • Backtrack (Haggerty Mystery, #8)
  • Fool Me Twice
  • Cover Up
  • The Bishop's Bride
  • Breaking Point
  • Her Good Name
  • The Deep End (Undercurrents, #3)
I realize that I am one of those rare people in the world who gets to live a life full of passion, suspense, angst, fulfillment, humor, and mystery. I am a writer. Everyday when I sit down to my computer, I enter into world of my own making. I am in the head of a panoply of characters ranging from a nineteen year-old Austrian debutante (The Last Waltz) to a raging psychopath (The Arthurian Omen) a...more
More about G.G. Vandagriff...
The Last Waltz The Arthurian Omen Cankered Roots Poisoned Pedigree Of Deadly Descent