Start by marking “Tangled Roots” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Tangled Roots

G.G. Vandagriff

Tangled Roots (Alex and Briggie #3)

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  336 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Tangled Roots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tangled Roots

Jeanette
Aug 24, 2008 Jeanette rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, series, mystery
By the time I got to reading this third book in the Alex Campbell genealogy mystery series I was really questioning why I was still reading the series. I was hopeful that maybe the passage of time between the second and third book would equal a better book. My hopes were dashed in the first few pages.
In Tangled Roots Alex Campbell is investigating the family history of a teenage girl who has been institutionalized by her parents for supposed drug use. The premise for the story was just weak and
Shawn Ruth
I found the premise to this book dumb and unrealisitic. Two women have a geneology detective agency where they are hired by hospitals to find out a patient's geneology and how the ancestors may have an effect on that patient's psychological state. What hospital would actually do that? It also seems random that someone's great-great grandfather MIGHT have affected the patient somehow so why don't we do some geneology to find out? And there are supposedly enough requests for this kind of geneology ...more
Linnae
Mar 05, 2009 Linnae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holly is in a drug rehab facility, but insists that she's not a druggie. Her parents aren't talking, but they seem scared for some reason. Alex and her business partner Briggie, cofounders of a family history search company called Roots, Inc., agree to do a genogram of Holly's family history to see if they can help get to the bottom of her troubles. In the process they uncover an unsolved murder, a huge inheritance, and several previously unknown relatives, all of whom may or may not be eligible ...more
Marci
Mar 25, 2014 Marci rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm liking more and more the solving of crimes through genealogical research part of this series, but I'm less and less happy with the romance and religious elements. The genealogical puzzle was terrifically challenging, and Alex and Briggie's research quite interesting to follow. It's also a fun thing that Alex's mother has recovered enough to want to assist and that Alex and Briggie don't have problems with including her.

But the romantic triangle is irritating, unsatisfying in its indetermina
Annabeth
Oct 10, 2010 Annabeth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read the book completely, thinking it would be better since it was written 20-some years later....the writing STYLE was much better. Not nearly as choppy. But the twists and turns were a bit much. And it is so confusing to have main characters' names so similar: Glady's and Grace and Gwenyth, and William Williams, and William Williams Jr, etc. Out of a million names, could the author not have chosen names that wouldn't blend together as bad as the story blends together?!
Sandra Strange
Interesting premise: mystery series based on a genealogist's findings and the implications of family roots tangles. This one is fairly well written. The romance element is a bit much and pretty stereotypical (choosing between "good" and "mysterious" guys), and unfortunately the ending has a contrived feeling. The mystery is well revealed until the ending. It's worth reading if you have some free time to spare.
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
I'm reading this book and I am enjoying it. I didn't realize that there are two books before this. It's about 2 women who solve mysteries using geneology. An interesting concept. There are two books that come before this one. I didn't realize that when I started reading. I'll have to check them out.
Universitybabe
I missed that this is the third book in the bunch so I missed a lot of character development reading it first. A family history mystery to solve has a lot of suspense but I only finished it to feel like I accomplished something.
Naomi
Jan 22, 2009 Naomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book! Has a really thick plot that you don't figure out until the end!!!! Plus you can really relate to the main character and you fall in love with the men in it! Definitely a good read!!!
Erika
Apr 27, 2010 Erika rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Clunky- couldn't make it past the first 30 pages. Might have gotten better but decided I had other books that would more likely pull me in by the end of my third sitting!
Robyn Dexter
Jul 27, 2013 Robyn Dexter rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Started reading and even after a few chapters, I wasn't able to get into it. Writing style was not very good and was somewhat choppy. Not really interested in finishing it.
Julie
Jun 14, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This was a fun mystery. It wove you through the characters family genealogy. It was fun tracking the line.
Oct 09, 2011 Sarah marked it as tried-and-failed  ·  review of another edition
I was randomly given this book for free at a party. Just don't care to read it.
Apr 14, 2008 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Professional genealogist Alexandra Campbell and her partner Brighamina Poulson are once more brought to life by G. G. Vandagriff in her latest genealogical mystery, Tangled Roots. In this adventure, Alex and Briggie find themselves in snow-covered Chicago suburbs, delving into a family tree full of murder, apparent suicide, marital scandal, and long-buried secrets; both are very happy to have Briggie’s deer rifle close at hand before the plot finishes its twists and turns.

What starts out as a f
Jun 14, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LDS Fiction. Third book in the "Alex and Briggie" series. Professional genealogists and amateur sleuths are Alexandra Campbell and her partner in RootSearch Inc., Brighamina Poulson. They are both widows. Briggie, a grandmother of nine, while Alex is a recent widow still coming to terms with the sudden and tragic death of her husband. Briggie hails from pioneer stock in the LDS Church while Alex is a relatively recent convert.

In this episode Alex and Briggie are called upon to use their genealog
Kathryn
Chrystal
Linda Cole
Jul 25, 2014 Linda Cole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

Interesting

who knew finding out who your ancestry would lead to kidnapping and murder. easier to read than the first two
Becky
Jul 10, 2016 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was hard to follow who was who, and the main character is a bit too "down in the mouth" for me, but it's an easy read with a bit of mystery.
Joel
Jun 25, 2016 Joel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kimberly Fields
Tangled Roots continues the Alex and Briggie series, but with a new twist. This time Alex has been hired by a mental institution to piece together the family history of one of their patients, in order to find the dark secret that has the patient and her family on edge.

I liked the setting for this book, and it was full of twists and turns that keep the reader on edge until the very end. I appreciated that over the course of the series, Alex didn't miraculously overcome her anxiety/PTSD super fast
MaryKai Boulton
Good story. New twist on solving mysteries.
Susan
Jan 14, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another exciting Alex Campbell and Brighamina Poulsen murder mystery. I love how genealogy can solve a murder, which seems to follow Alex. Even Alex's mother gets caught up in the search. Her cousin Charles, introduced in "Of Deadly Decent", becomes a major player in this novel--even so far as his telling Alex he's in love with her. Besides the excitement of the chase, one wonders what will happen between Alex and Daniel now that Charles has declared himself.
Ndshill
Oct 05, 2010 Ndshill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was given to me by a friend. I read this one and the next one, HIDDEN BRANCH and enjoyed them both, So I sent off for the first in this series, CANKERED ROOTS. I enjoy genealogy and a good mystery. This series combines both in a satisfying way. The characters are engaging and I have now become fond of them. I will read all five in the series.
Terry
Nov 01, 2009 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoy mystery, tied in with history, you should enjoy any books written by this author. Plus her books are very clean. I always think that the sign of a good author is someone who can write a book that keeps the reader's attention without a bunch of smut and coarse language--anyone can do that stuff!
Apr 03, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. I could really imagine these characters and they were fun for me. There is a book that was written before this one that I haven't read yet, but it didn't stop me from understanding anything in this one. It is a fun mystery, genealogy, love triangle etc... A fun read.
Pat
Apr 16, 2011 Pat rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It took me a long time to get into this book. Something about the way it is written was confusing for me and hard to keep straight. It did pick up about half way through and got better for me.
Interesting concept - solving crimes through genealogy...
Teri
Mar 04, 2008 Teri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this third book after G G. had a long break from writing. This was much better than the prvious two. Am looking forward to the next installment of Alex and Briggie. If you love genealogy, you'll love this series.
Mindy
Feb 20, 2010 Mindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by this author! At times I had to work hard to keep everything straight since events were happening so fast. I would definitely recommend this series of books to anyone who loves a good mystery! :)
Kay
Dec 28, 2008 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 3rd book in the series and it was equally as entertaining as the first two. I like how genealogy leads the two main characters, Alex and Briggie into many dangerous situations, even murder
GG Vandagriff's books 1 4 Oct 10, 2009 05:51AM
  • Dead on Arrival (A Shandra Covington Mystery, #2)
  • Abandoned
  • Legend of the Jewel (Isabelle Webb, #1)
  • Echoes
  • Backtrack (Haggerty Mystery, #8)
  • Fool Me Twice
  • Don't Cry Wolf
  • Vanished (Maggie McKenzie Mystery, #1)
  • The Bishop's Bride
  • Idle Playgrounds (Rhea Jensen, #3)
  • Flashback
  • Blink of An Eye
  • Mummy's the Word
G.G. Vandagriff is the author of twenty-four books and is an Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. The Last Waltz, the first novel in her 20th Century Historical Romance Series won the Whitney Award for Best Historical Novel in 2009. There are now two more books in that series—Exile and Defiance.
Nine of her novels are Regency romances, compared by critics to the witty novels of Georgette Heyer. She has a
More about G.G. Vandagriff...

Alex and Briggie (5 books)
  • Cankered Roots (Alex and Briggie #1)
  • Of Deadly Descent