Start by marking “Performance Art: From Futurism to the Present” as Want to Read:
Performance Art: From Futurism to the Present

Performance Art: From Futurism to the Present

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This pioneering book has now been expanded with a new chapter that brings it into the second decade of the twenty-first century, mapping the global rise of performance to the present day. RoseLee Goldberg explores contemporary artists’ approaches to politics, tradition, social engagement, and the art world itself, while evaluating the changing status of performance and its ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Thames & Hudson (first published January 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Performance Art, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Performance Art

Paul Bryant
Revived review for all you Conceptual Art fans, all three of you! Performance Art was Conceptual Art's dangerous unpredictable, frankly quite unstable younger brother.

***

(Warning : this review is not for the squeamish. I know you're probably not that squeamish. But just so you know, there will be pierced flesh and... other things.)

The performance artists are the real lunatics of modern art and I love them all. Here are some of my favourites :

VITO ACCONCI

1971 : "Seedbed" (January 15–29, 1971).
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
There's so much amazing performance. This bk gives a great history of some of it. Other bks cd be very different. Sometimes I look at bks on subjects I'm fairly knowledgable about & think: "WHAT?! They don't even mention such-&-such?!!" This bk doesn't get that rejection. It covers Bauhaus light plays from 1922. It covers a performance of a Satie piece w/ Buckminster Fuller as one of the actors in conjunction w/ Merce Cunningham! It even gets into COUM Transmissions's 1976 Prositution sh ...more
Maria
"Performance Art: From Futurism to the Present" is definitely an interesting book. Being recommended to me by my Dramateacher, I thought it would be a sort of massive and exhausting book but no... It can actually be read quite easily and is just great to those who want to know more about the origins of performance.
Chris Lugo
This book literally changed my life. As a performance artist I found validation and an interpretation of experience in this book that gave a new meaning to my reality as an artist. I recommend this book to anyone interested in studying and understanding the function of performance art as a discipline and practice.
Steve
Jan 15, 2011 Steve rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ben, sarah
this book has truly been an inspiration. very through, and extremely readable. it really pulls together the origins of performance art among different art movements. i strongly recommend this to all artists and music performers.
Spencer King
Functional information about performance art over time. Nothing especially thrilling or inspiring, personally, but worth revisiting as a means of working from different perspectives.
This was the text for one of my courses in school. I refer to it often. I don't know, it is just awesome when a "textbook" can be a source of inspiration.
Eric Dean
SO COOL! Anyone interested in theatre or performance should read this history of Performance Art.
Kelly
Performance Art: From Futurism to the Present (World of Art) by Roselee Goldberg (1988)
J.
A slow read. Great info on origins of performance that I never knew existed.
Eduardo
Uma outra visão do Sec. XX.
Tomek
Classical book.
Mills College Library
700.904 G6185 2011
'trie
'trie marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Kelly
Kelly is currently reading it
May 19, 2015
Michael Saar
Michael Saar marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Neil Middlemiss
Neil Middlemiss marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Andrei
Andrei marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Emily Clanton
Emily Clanton marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Даша
Даша is currently reading it
Apr 25, 2015
Jekaterina
Jekaterina marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Sergei Gordienko
Sergei Gordienko marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
  • Six Years: The Dematerialization of the Art Object from 1966 to 1972
  • Artificial Hells: Participatory Art and the Politics of Spectatorship
  • Art on the Edge and Over: Searching for Art's Meaning in Contemporary Society 1970s-1990s
  • Exhibiting Cultures: The Poetics and Politics of Museum Display
  • Visual Culture Reader
  • Guy Debord and the Situationist International: Texts and Documents
  • The Emancipated Spectator
  • Inside the White Cube: The Ideology of the Gallery Space
  • The Dada Painters and Poets: An Anthology (Paperbacks in Art History)
  • New Media in Art
  • The Situationist City
  • Essays on the Blurring of Art and Life
  • Art and Feminism
Laurie Anderson Performance: Live Art Since the 60s Laurie Anderson, Trisha Brown, Gordon Matta-Clark: Pioneers of the Downtown Scene, New York 1970s Performance Nikki S. Lee: Parts