Start by marking “Performance Art: From Futurism to the Present” as Want to Read:
Performance Art: From Futurism to the Present

Performance Art: From Futurism to the Present

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  260 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
This pioneering book has now been expanded with a new chapter that brings it into the second decade of the twenty-first century, mapping the global rise of performance to the present day. RoseLee Goldberg explores contemporary artists’ approaches to politics, tradition, social engagement, and the art world itself, while evaluating the changing status of performance and its ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Thames & Hudson (first published January 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Performance Art, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Performance Art

Paul Bryant
Jul 22, 2013 Paul Bryant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Revived review for all you Conceptual Art fans, all three of you! Performance Art was Conceptual Art's dangerous unpredictable, frankly quite unstable younger brother.

***

(Warning : this review is not for the squeamish. I know you're probably not that squeamish. But just so you know, there will be pierced flesh and... other things.)

The performance artists are the real lunatics of modern art and I love them all. Here are some of my favourites :

VITO ACCONCI

1971 : "Seedbed" (January 15–29, 1971).
Maria
Jun 11, 2009 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Performance Art: From Futurism to the Present" is definitely an interesting book. Being recommended to me by my Dramateacher, I thought it would be a sort of massive and exhausting book but no... It can actually be read quite easily and is just great to those who want to know more about the origins of performance.
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Jun 18, 2008 tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
There's so much amazing performance. This bk gives a great history of some of it. Other bks cd be very different. Sometimes I look at bks on subjects I'm fairly knowledgable about & think: "WHAT?! They don't even mention such-&-such?!!" This bk doesn't get that rejection. It covers Bauhaus light plays from 1922. It covers a performance of a Satie piece w/ Buckminster Fuller as one of the actors in conjunction w/ Merce Cunningham! It even gets into COUM Transmissions's 1976 Prositution sh ...more
Chris Lugo
Jul 09, 2009 Chris Lugo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book literally changed my life. As a performance artist I found validation and an interpretation of experience in this book that gave a new meaning to my reality as an artist. I recommend this book to anyone interested in studying and understanding the function of performance art as a discipline and practice.
Steve
Jan 15, 2011 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ben, sarah
this book has truly been an inspiration. very through, and extremely readable. it really pulls together the origins of performance art among different art movements. i strongly recommend this to all artists and music performers.
Spencer King
Functional information about performance art over time. Nothing especially thrilling or inspiring, personally, but worth revisiting as a means of working from different perspectives.
Feb 06, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the text for one of my courses in school. I refer to it often. I don't know, it is just awesome when a "textbook" can be a source of inspiration.
Eric Dean
May 12, 2009 Eric Dean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SO COOL! Anyone interested in theatre or performance should read this history of Performance Art.
Kelly
Apr 15, 2009 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Performance Art: From Futurism to the Present (World of Art) by Roselee Goldberg (1988)
J.
Feb 04, 2008 J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
A slow read. Great info on origins of performance that I never knew existed.
Eduardo
Sep 13, 2012 Eduardo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Uma outra visão do Sec. XX.
Tomek
Classical book.
Mills College Library
700.904 G6185 2011
James
Jan 02, 2009 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My bible.
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
J_ln
J_ln is currently reading it
Supermatism
Supermatism is currently reading it
Jun 17, 2016
Savanna Harvey
Savanna Harvey marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Paige
Paige rated it really liked it
Steven Kenny
Steven Kenny rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2016
B.
B. marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Dmitry
Dmitry is currently reading it
Tania
Tania rated it really liked it
Ana
Ana rated it liked it
Rebeccao
Rebeccao marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Ivirse
Ivirse rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Max
Max is currently reading it
Jun 08, 2016
Laurinda
Laurinda marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Natalia Todorova
Natalia Todorova marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Julz
Julz marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
  • Six Years: The Dematerialization of the Art Object from 1966 to 1972
  • Artificial Hells: Participatory Art and the Politics of Spectatorship
  • Compulsive Beauty
  • Art on the Edge and Over: Searching for Art's Meaning in Contemporary Society 1970s-1990s
  • Exhibiting Cultures: The Poetics and Politics of Museum Display