Start by marking “Dazzle the Dinosaur” as Want to Read:
Dazzle the Dinosaur

Dazzle the Dinosaur

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  160 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
The bestselling author of The Rainbow Fish and The Christmas Star returns with a new picture about Dazzle, a dinosaur with a beautiful glittering spine.
When Dazzle and his friend, Maia the Maiasaurus, set out on an adventure, they meet a terrible Dragonsaurus! Will Dazzle's shining spines save the day?
Published September 1st 2000 by NorthSouth (first published 1945)

To ask other readers questions about Dazzle the Dinosaur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dazzle the Dinosaur

Shelley
My Rating:
3 stars
Summary:
Dazzle the dinosaur is a little different than the other dinosaur children. Dazzle was named for his sparkling spines on his back. Dazzle doesn't understand why Maia and her family stay in the valley where food and water are scarce. Dazzle wants to go beyond the edge of the trees but was never allowed because of predators. When Dazzle learns that Maia's family used to live in a cave where they were protected but that it was stolen from them by the dragonasaurus, Dazzle t
Cara
My first book ever reading something by Marcus Pfister that wasn't about Rainbow Fish. I loved it and so did my son.
This book is a bit wordier than his usual books and should be geared strictly towards either reading to children or waiting until they have a good grasp as reading for them to read aloud as it had lots of dinosaur names.
The story was great. Dazzle is a dinosaur who is essentially adopted, his egg wound up in another nest, but the nest owner decided to care for him like her own. He'
Alex
Nov 28, 2012 Alex rated it liked it
Dazzle The Dinosaur is a cute story about two young dinosaurs who become great friends. A Maiasauruses mother dinosaur finds an egg next to her own baby egg. It looks odd but she decides to keep it anyway and mother is as her own. A sweet baby girl named Maia hatched out of the mom's egg and a shiny baby dinosaur named Dazzle with sparkles on its spines came out of the other. Maia and Dazzle became best friends. They decide to go on an adventure to get their old home that is safe and in a cave b ...more
Celest
Nov 26, 2014 Celest rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the video tape I had when I was little, and when I got older I wanted to find the book. Yes, I seriously went on a search for this book after hitting the age where Barney the Dinosaur became the bane of my childhood and yet this and Rainbow Fish kept me entertained.
Eva Leger
Sep 03, 2010 Eva Leger rated it liked it
Shelves: julias-books
For some reason the ISBN on Julia's copy of this book leads me to Lila's Little Dinosaur on all the sites I looked. Strange and I hate when publishers share ISBN's between totally different books.
Anyway, this has a bit of a different spin than your average toddler/young child dinosaur book. Julia loved the gleaming spines on the baby dinosaurs back. We both enjoyed reading about Dazzle and Maia on their adventure. Julia's favorite parts were when she saw something in an illustration other than
Dolly
Aug 31, 2015 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an interesting story about dinosaurs, in the same vein as "The Land Before Time" movies. Danger lurks everywhere, but the little dinosaurs are cute and brave. The descriptions in the front of the book are helpful to show which dinosaurs were real and which were imaginary and the information provided about the dinosaurs lends a bit of educational cred to the book.

It's a longer and more complicated story than The Rainbow Fish, but children who liked one will likely enjoy listening to the
Morgan
Sep 06, 2014 Morgan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
This was one of my absolute, all-time favourite books when I was little. The same awesome drawing level with shiny spots, plus it has dinosaurs! What's not to love?
Nicole
Feb 02, 2016 Nicole rated it liked it
A cute story about family, friendship and working together. It also sneaks in some educational dinosaur facts.
Bonnie
Feb 06, 2015 Bonnie rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Sometimes being different can cause problems and sometimes it can be a blessing.
Sarah Adamson
This is a sweet little book, a favourite with my daughter and apparently many of the kids at school as the school nurse reads it to them whilst taking their temperature or giving inhalers!
It's sweet and interesting to have a glittery shiny dinosaur as the star. It's a bit Land Before Time adventure style with danger and adventure. I wish the dinosaur names used were real dinosaurs to make it more scientific, a chance to learn and have fun.
Mason, Natalie & Oliver
Cute book about a little dinosaur that is different from all the Maiasauruses it lives with...and in the end is a hero. I would have probably given it 5 stars, but it was a bit far-fetched (I know, I know...it's a kids book, lol). They talked about real types of dinosaurs, and then threw in a "dragonsaurus" that was afraid of light, which Dazzle was able to defeat by reflecting the light of his spines and into the dragonsaurus' eyes. Huh?
Stephanie
Nov 25, 2012 Stephanie rated it liked it
Shelves: children-slit-40
From the day his egg mysteriously, to the time he saves Maia, Dazzle is always one outgoing and unique little dinosaur. Go with Dazzle and Maia on their adventure to get back their family's old cave. This story is a great way to show students, or anyone for that matter, that no matter how small or different you are, you can accomplish great things if you have the courage and determination.
Mitch
Sep 07, 2010 Mitch rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book of all time. I used to read it all the time, and I love it. This is a story about a dinosaur that is a little different because of his sparkly scales. Dazzle overcomes his differences and goes on an adventure to find resources. Dazzle blinds the dinosaur that has been terrorizing his friends with his shiny scales and saves his friends. Yay!
Jenn
This book was an excuse to use shiny paper, basically.

However I will admit my two-year-old loved it, and she's been walking around saying "Quetzalcoatlus" for the past week, which is pretty funny. It turns out that's an actual type of dinosaur, unlike the Dragonsaurus also featured, or the main character, Dazzle, with pretty shiny spikes on his back.
Beth
May 23, 2010 Beth rated it really liked it
Mother Maiasaurus doesn't know where the sparkeling egg came from. When the egg hatched, she called the dinosaur had glittering spine Dazzle. The mother and daughter became good friends. They are lucky to escape the Tyrannosaurus Rex. They work together to regain their cave.
Tanya
Jul 16, 2012 Tanya rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
My 3 year old daughter LOVES this book. I hate it. It is long, boring, and predictable. It could have been written by an elementary school child. I hope she never finds it at the library again. I read it 3 times a day for a week. I can't do that again.
Linda
Jul 22, 2012 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juveniles
I was trying to decide between 2 and 3 stars. There were some parts I didn't enjoy and some I did. But, many children seem to adore it, so I rated it as a 3.
Maia
Feb 09, 2008 Maia rated it it was amazing
Another example of my vanity: the sidekick in this book is called Maia (she's the one with the brains)
Cece
Feb 14, 2010 Cece rated it really liked it
I would have this cute book in my classroom for students that are interested in dinosaurs.
Samantha
Apr 28, 2011 Samantha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute book about dinosaur. Would be good to use with younger students in a dinosaur unit.
Theresa
Dec 02, 2013 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
dazzel is different from his friends but finds that he is great on his own
Kat
Dec 12, 2008 Kat rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This is a really cute book. My daughters love the art work as well.
Mandy Booknerd
Nov 23, 2013 Mandy Booknerd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ich habe es sooo geliebt :D
Desiree
Sep 04, 2012 Lexie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood
MY CHILDHOOD, MAN.
Rachel Wanlass
Rachel Wanlass rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2016
Taylor Rice
Taylor Rice marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
KAY OLEARY
KAY OLEARY rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2016
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
  • Martha Blah Blah
  • You And Me, Little Bear
  • Borreguita and the Coyote (Reading Rainbow Books)
  • I Spy Spooky Night: A Book of Picture Riddles
  • Bear about Town
  • Diego
  • Do You Want to Be My Friend?
  • Can You Say Peace?
  • When Mama Comes Home Tonight
  • The M&M's Brand Chocolate Candies Counting Book
  • George and the Dragon
  • Patrick's Dinosaurs
Marcus Pfister was born in Berne, Switzerland, and began his career as a graphic artist in an advertising agency. In 1983, he decided to dedicate more time to artistic pursuits, and began to write and illustrate his first book, The Sleepy Owl, which was published in 1986. His best-known work to date is The Rainbow Fish, which has remained on bestseller lists across the United States since 1992.

Mar
More about Marcus Pfister...