Start by marking “B.P.R.D.: Being Human (B.P.R.D., #15)” as Want to Read:
B.P.R.D.: Being Human (B.P.R.D., #15)

B.P.R.D.: Being Human (B.P.R.D. #15)

In these terrifying tales of witchcraft and the undead, Abe, Roger, Liz, and Johann learn the ropes as agents of the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense! Abe copes with survivor's guilt, Roger goes on his first adventure with Hellboy, Liz tells the story of how she killed her family, and Johann Kraus dies!

A standalone collection that's a perfect introduction to thes
Paperback, First Edition, 144 pages
Published December 13th 2011 by Dark Horse (first published November 30th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about B.P.R.D., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about B.P.R.D.

Sesana
Mar 18, 2013 Sesana rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, comics
A collection of "early case" stories. The best one focuses on a surly teenage Liz, leaving headquarters for what seems like the first time. Roger's first case is here, and it's better than I had expected it to be. Great ending. Johann's story, on the other hand, was just ok. It's a good thing the other two are great.
Rick
Well, what can I say - I goofed. Every now and then one of these collected editions gets published with a new story or something that I missed elsewhere. That was the case with this collection of stories featuring narratives that almost work as "origin" stories for many of the members of B.P.R.D.
The Dead Remembered features an early tale of a young Liz Sherman in a kind of coming of age/first love story, but twisted as only a B.P.R.D. story can be twisted. This is in many ways the best of the st
Sam Quixote
May 16, 2012 Sam Quixote rated it liked it
These are the collected origin stories of (most of) the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defence or BPRD for short.

Liz Sherman's dark and pyrotechnic origin is told in the longest story here and she is taken into the care of Professor Bruttenholm and Hellboy, travelling to what will become her first case for the BPRD, a case of a haunted forest and a murderous ghost.

Roger the Golem's origins are in another book ("Hellboy: Wake the Devil") but the first adventure with him and Hellboy is told he
Spencer
Feb 13, 2017 Spencer rated it liked it
This is an ok collection, it's interesting to learn a bit more about the characters, although the stories aren't up to the usual BPRD standards. The art is also pretty average apart from that by Ben Stenbeck, who I've found to be a very consistent and skilled artist.
[Name Redacted]
A very uneven collection focused on the characters' pasts and serving as a palate cleanser between the conclusion of the "Plague of Frogs" storyline and the new "Hell on Earth" storyline.

The story about Liz depicts her as an obnoxious "troubled teen" cliche, and the story itself somehow manages to feel both shallow and cluttered. It's certainly vague in the execution and the twist at the conclusion is telegraphed from page one.

The story about Abe is...non-existent. Whatever the cover might cla
Dani Shuping
Nov 11, 2011 Dani Shuping rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
ARC provided by NetGally

I always enjoy reading more in the Hellboy universe and this volume gives us some of the answers that we’ve always wondered...how did the characters, outside of Hellboy, get their start? This volume lets us get a glimpse into Liz’s past in “The Dead Remembered” and shows the role Hellboy played in getting her to step out into the world after her tragic past. We also get to see the story of how Johann Krauss became separated from his body and how he conquers his first vill
Orrin Grey
Dec 23, 2011 Orrin Grey rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, mignola
Normally I like the standalone stories from the Mignola universe even better than the continuing storylines, so I was really looking forward to Being Human, but in spite of having a couple of really nice stories it didn't grab me as much as I'd have expected. "Casualties," the shortest story in the book, felt a lot like filler, and "The Dead Remembered," the longest, didn't do a ton for me, in spite of the fact that I like Professor Bruttenholm and Liz and that Scott Allie was on-board to tackle ...more
Vim
Nov 21, 2011 Vim rated it really liked it
From: Dark Horse Comics
Via: NetGalley.com

I've been following Mike Mignola's works ever since I read the first volume of Hellboy a few months ago. Since then, I've read quite a lot of his works that I could get my hands on but, I read the Hellboy series in order of their stories so this is actually the first time I read any B.P.R.D. book/ issue by Mignola.

Well, it was good that the first volume I read of the B.P.R.D. are origin stories of some of its key members. I love origin stories because the
Alan
Jan 22, 2012 Alan rated it liked it
A compilation of several BRPD/Hellbot shorts that have been recently publish as one-shots or mini-series. Mike Mignola, on his own and with regular series contributor John Arcudi, really try to establish that Liz Sheman, Johann and Roger are more human than many of those that they save. While they arguably succeed with Roger and Johann, they really don;t pull it off with Liz. They want us to feel empathy with her, and her fears about her abilities but they didn't quite hit the mark for me.
Canavan
Jan 27, 2015 Canavan rated it it was ok
✭✭
Simon Ford
Dec 08, 2016 Simon Ford rated it really liked it
Hellboy, hellishly good, hell yes and and many more "hell" related puns ad infinitum, nauseum etc.
Andy 117
Oct 10, 2014 Andy 117 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-comic-tpbs
The B.P.R.D. is Hellboy without Hellboy, but don't let that dissuade you in the slightest. With a fantastic cast of disturbed non-humans, the B.P.R.D. is one of Mike Mignola's most ingenious creations, and this volume, "Being Human," collects a ton of content that serves as an introduction to the wacky agents of the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense.

The short stories collected wherein, from an assortment of industry talent, are all a lot of spooky fun - but, as with most collections of
Martin
Jan 01, 2017 Martin rated it it was ok
Except for The Ectoplasmic Man these didn't do anything for me and even that one felt kind of rushed. This seems to be a book of leftover stories that had build up over the years.
Wing Kee
Dec 17, 2014 Wing Kee rated it it was amazing
I see the rating for this book on goodreads and I'm sad. Why? Because this is one of the better collections of short tales for the BPRD.

I like a good action, suspense, supernatural and all the craziness of the BPRD, but I also really really like it when I get to know the characters I'm reading about. Their personal history, their journey, their inner dialog and motivations intrigue me and this is exactly what this collection of tales is, 4 tales that look at key members of the BPRD, and it's fan
Joseph R.
Jul 11, 2012 Joseph R. rated it really liked it
This volume of B.P.R.D. stories recounts the first missions of Liz Sherman (pyrokinetic ward of the B.P.R.D.), Roger (a homunculus discovered in Romania by Hellboy), and Johann Krauss (a medium whose body was killed while on a "out of body" experience yet continues on as an ectoplasmic man).

Liz has been a ward of the B.P.R.D. since she was seven or eight, when she accidentally killed her family with her fire-starting abilities. Hellboy encourages his mentor and father figure, Professor Bruttenho
Wilson Lanue
This is my first foray into the B.P.R.D spin-off of the Hellboy series. And, well, it's a mixture for me.

The first story, "The Dead Remembered," shows us fire-starter Liz Sherman as a young ward of the B.P.R.D. ("Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense" to the uninitiated). There's some good stuff for her here, good but brief stuff with Hellboy in the first pages, and some nice push and pull on the moral ambiguity of witch hunters in Mignola's world of the weird. Still, the story dragged a bi
Amy
Dec 05, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
This intriguing collection of short backstories for members of the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense (aka Hellboy's employer), is sure to delight Mike Mignola's loyal fans, and possibly, earn him new ones. Johann, the medium, and Liz, the firestarter steal the show in this collection which isn't a problem for me, but fans of Abe and Roger might be disappointed as they spend most of their time off the page.

Fans of Roger probably won't be too disappointed though since his story, which als
Julian
Apr 09, 2014 Julian rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-books
Like most of the BPRD collections which don't relate to the core story this volume is entirely unnecessary and redundant. It might have made more sense as a book which collects and describes the origins of the core BPRD members but it doesn't really even do that. In the same vein as War on Frogs and The Soul of Venice this volume describes individual cases from early on in the BPRD's history (namely Roger's first mission with Hellboy, Liz's first field experience as a teenager and the story of h ...more
Ravwrin
Nov 07, 2011 Ravwrin rated it it was amazing
With B.P.R.D.: Being Human we get a small view of stories of the team. There is the backstory of Liz, a small snippet of Abe, Roger (whom I've never actually met before in a story) and a Johann Kraus. We find more of Liz's past, see into Roger's internal battle about humanity when he and Hellboy mix with a voodoo woman bent on revenge, the heart wretching guilt that Abe has over the deaths of his teammates, and the 'birth' of Johann Kraus into his spirit form.

I will not lie, I squealed(partly to
Sara Thompson
Sep 26, 2011 Sara Thompson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
After watching Hellboy and Hellboy 2, I was ready to take on BPRD. I love the Hellboy stories. The difference with BPRD novels is that Hellboy does not take center stage. It's nice to get more story on the other characters.
Being Human starts with a story starring Liz as a teenager. This gives some back story for Liz and shows the start of her growth into a strong confident woman.
The next two stories come and go rather quickly - a short with Abe and Liz. Their dialogue is touching when they discu
James
Jul 26, 2014 James rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
A fun flashback collection looking at the origins and first missions of the core B.P.R.D. crew: Liz Sherman, Roger and Johann Kraus. Hellboy is only present in the action for one of the stories, but as the subtitle suggests, he's a spur for much of the growth here, convincing his outcast peers to view themselves as human again--or, in the case of Roger the homunculus, for the first time.

The stories show a nice variety. In the first, Liz gets her first kiss while facing down a witch haunting a Ne
Matthew Brady
May 22, 2014 Matthew Brady rated it it was ok
This is kind of a "secret origins" volume of BPRD, looking at stories about the various characters from early in their careers, including Liz investigating a ghost with Professor Bruttenholm when she was a teenager and what happened to Johann when he "died" and became trapped in ectoplasmic form. The best story is about Roger's first mission with Hellboy, but mostly because it's drawn by Richard Corben, who is always awesome. Johann's story is also decent, with at least one memorable image by Be ...more
Cale
Dec 30, 2015 Cale rated it liked it
It's nice to revisit these characters early in their careers, and get a moment of Hellboy, even though he is definitely not a central character here. Instead we get an early story of Liz dealing with her abilities and socializing a little bit, a very short and sweet story of Abe and Liz dealing with the impact of their lives on them and the people around them, a kind of fun story with Hellboy and Roger the Homunculus, and then the origins of Johann, which went longer than expected, but worked pr ...more
Jeff Lanter
Dec 27, 2011 Jeff Lanter rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Essentially a collection of smaller stories about members of BPRD, I enjoyed this diversion from the main plot. The art and story with Liz was particularly strong and it is nice to see some good art that is not Mignola (or Mignola-inspired) or Guy Davis too. She is such a great character and is not utilized and explored enough in BPRD in my opinion. The Johan story was also strong. While there are a couple of shorter stories, including one with Roger, if you like Liz and Johan, you won't regret ...more
J
Feb 08, 2016 J rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A nice collection of vignettes and one-offs, this volume focuses on the various members of the B.P.R.D. team and how they feel about what makes them different or separates them from the other, more human members of the team. It's a nice step aside from the general war that's going on in the series to get a little deeper into the psyche of these characters and find out what makes them tick or what sort of things have they had to put up with beyond the calls of the job, being different and how tha ...more
Michael
Die vier Stories in diesem Band vermitteln Neueinsteigern einen Einblick in die Welt des B.P.R.D.

So ungewöhnlich, wie die Protagonisten sind, so klassisch - will in diesem speziellen Fall der Geistergeschichten meinen wenig einfallsreich - sind die Stories leider inhaltlich. Zum Glück ist die längste Geschichte, die Liz Sherman vorstellt, auch für mich die ansprechendste gewesen, so dass der Band lesenswert ist trotz der eher schwächeren anderen Plots.
sixthreezy
Jan 29, 2013 sixthreezy rated it it was amazing
This series is heating up just like Hellboy did towards the end. The villains are becoming more horrific and more gruesome, but also much more challenging for our heroes. Mike Mignola continues to prove that he is one of the best original comic creators working today, with his entire Hellboy universe.
Daniel
Mar 17, 2012 Daniel rated it it was amazing
"Dead Remembered" got a little tired, but still pretty good.

"Casualties" was fantastic, as only Guy Davis with Arcudi/Mignola ever can be.

"Being Human" is probably the most I've ever enjoyed Richard Corben's art, and it's because this didn't seem to be "too much," as he's prone to do.

"Ectoplasmic Man" was cool because it expanded on Johann Kraus's beginning.
Michael Larson
Apr 22, 2012 Michael Larson rated it really liked it
This is another solid collection of stories that serves to flesh out the BPRD characters, while allowing some new artists to take a crack at drawing the characters. I particularly enjoyed Richard Corben's take on Roger.
Amy
Dec 10, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing
Obviously, since I love Hellboy, I would also love the B.P.R.D. Surprisingly, I love some of these characters even more than the big red guy himself--and it was awesome to see them in their early days.
  • Criminal Macabre Omnibus Volume 1
  • Sir Edward Grey, Witchfinder, Vol. 3: The Mysteries of Unland
  • 28 Days Later, Vol. 6: Homecoming
  • Hellboy: Oddest Jobs
  • Lobster Johnson: The Satan Factory
  • Atomic Robo and the Shadow from Beyond Time (Atomic Robo, #3)
  • Hellboy Animated Volume 1: The Black Wedding
  • Finder: Third World
  • The Chronicles of Conan, Volume 2: Rogues in the House and Other Stories
  • RASL, Vol. 3: Romance at the Speed of Light (RASL, #3)
  • Billy Fog Volume 1: The Gift of Trouble Sight
  • Creepy Presents: Bernie Wrightson
  • Jack the Ripper: A Journal of the Whitechapel Murders 1888-1889
  • Conan, Vol. 10: Iron Shadows in the Moon and Other Stories
  • Hellboy: The Companion
  • Hellboy: The All-Seeing Eye
  • Axe Cop, Vol. 3
  • Peculia
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo
More about Mike Mignola...

B.P.R.D. (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 1: Hollow Earth and Other Stories (B.P.R.D., #1)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 2: The Soul of Venice & Other Stories (B.P.R.D., #2)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 3: Plague of Frogs (B.P.R.D., #3)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 4: The Dead (B.P.R.D., #4)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 5: The Black Flame (B.P.R.D., #5)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 6: The Universal Machine (B.P.R.D., #6)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 7: Garden of Souls (B.P.R.D., #7)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 8: Killing Ground (B.P.R.D., #8)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 9: 1946 (B.P.R.D., #9)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 10: The Warning (B.P.R.D., #10)