3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  15 reviews
From three top ob/gyn's--the personalities of the television series "Deliver Me"--comes this comprehensive pregnancy resource that's medically reliable "and" mom-to-mom relatable.
Published May 1st 2011 by Da Capo Lifelong Books

Meredith

Written by three lady ob-gyns, this book is an informative and authoritative guide to pregnancy. All three doctors did their residency training in low risk pregnancy and delivery with midwives at L.A. County Hospital, so they are more accepting of midwifery for low risk pregnancies and more tolerant of minimal medical interventions than many doctors. They even support a patients’ right to attempt a VBAC. These three doctors also don’t appear to be as induction happy as most modern ob-gyns and pu...more
Vanessa Pruitt
You kind of expect a book that is written by a group of OBGYNs to downplay midwifery as an option or even to discourage it. However, the doctors and moms behind this book explain how they were trained by midwives while attending their very first births. They go into detail about their respect for midwives and agree that midwifery care at home, in a birth center, or in the hospital can be a great choice for low-risk moms.

The trio behind this book – referred to as “The Mommy Docs” – consists of ob...more
Laurie
I read at least eight pregnancy books when I became pregnant with our first child last April. Out of all of them, this vied for my favorite with one that was more specific to my experience (Big, Beautiful, and Pregnant: Expert Advice and Comforting Wisdom for the Expecting Plus-Size Woman). This book had most of the information that others have, but what made it especially helpful was the way that the three authors (all female OB/GYNs who have at least two kids of their own) inserted their own e...more
Rebecca Levin
This book was fine. Nothing super enlightening, but I do like that it was written by doctors. I skipped the section on complications as I don't have any interest is hearing about what could go wrong, I'd rather believe it will just go right.
Emily
clear info, they do a good job of not scaring you, answering questions and breaking down info so its not overwhelming
H
Out of my library's entire selection, this looked like the best option - a science-based book written by female doctors that have kids, so this was what I selected. Not bad. I preferred reading all the anecdotes of strangers as relayed by doctors to getting advice from strangers in real life, and I got a few tidbits of advice that I hadn't yet picked up along the way, but nothing earth-shaking.
Bethany Zimp
I've never seen this show (didn't even know it existed) but this was a good summary of information (from a very OB medical point of view) and I liked the little stories spread throughout the book.
Bea
I got this book because it was cheap at the Borders going out of business sale. It served my purpose well. Covered all the information I wanted, easy to read, reasonably well organized. My favorite parts were that it focused on the likelihood of good outcomes, had myth-busting inserts, and had lots of personal stories.
Lisa
This book is straightforward and doesn't talk down to the reader. I like the perspective of the "mommy docs" who've experienced what they're writing about and have the medical knowledge to go with it.
Heather
I like this for the blending of medical and real-life/emotional information. Lots of good mini stories that are helpful for providing perspective/context.
Erin
I really liked this pregnancy book too. Written by real doctors with great stories and real details about pregnancy and labor. Very factual.
Jessica
Very useful (although somewhat biased) book with lots of facts, a logical order, and a few personal stories interspersed.
Michelle
I keep reading and rereading sections of this book. Good information in an easy to follow (and skim later) format.
Jo
Kind of overwhelming and slightly more than I want to know.
Amyarthun
The best pregnancy, delivery & newborn book out there!
Katie
Katie added it
Jun 01, 2014
Lauren
Lauren is currently reading it
May 03, 2014
Megan Palasik
Megan Palasik marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Ramya Swetha
Ramya Swetha marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014