Start by marking “Watcher's Web (Return of the Aghyrians, #1)” as Want to Read:
Watcher's Web (Return of the Aghyrians, #1)

Read Book

Watcher's Web (Return of the Aghyrians #1)

She’s not your ordinary country girl, even though she might look like one. She casts webs of power, reading the feelings of living beings and telling them what to do. Nobody knows what causes it, least of all her. Her name is Jessica, but most people call her ‘freak’.
One fateful day, her ‘web’ connects with a stranger, and stray power causes the plane in which she’s travel
Published April 27th 2011 by Capricornica Publications

To ask other readers questions about Watcher's Web, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Watcher's Web

Pauline Ross
I’m a sucker for a portal story, where the main character falls through some sort of access point into - well, whatever the author cares to imagine (past, future, parallel world, some other planet altogether). It’s always fun to watch the character work out what’s happened, and trying to deal with the new setting. It can be trite, but there’s always room for a fresh take on the idea.

Jessica has always been an outsider. She’s taller than average, for one thing, not very womanly in shape, has some
Mary
Mar 22, 2015 Mary rated it liked it
Interesting sci fi

Interesting sci fi with Australian overtones. The swearing was did not make the story edgy. It didn't fit the story. My main problem with the story is that I have to like the main character. I didn't like Jessica. She was an idiot and so annoying that I am 3/4 done and am going to delete this.
Amanda Meggs
Jan 27, 2017 Amanda Meggs rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the premise of this story and Jessica was a pretty good character and her decisions actually seemed likely to be the decisions a 17 year old would make. The world building was excellent, interesting and not just an earth revisited at a different time which was good. The two main "romantic connections" were not really likeable and I didn't want Jessica to be with either of them, I felt she was much to young for either of them and in fact it seemed inappropriate to me. The variety of int ...more
J.C. Hart
May 24, 2011 J.C. Hart rated it really liked it
The first thing that I noticed about this book, and really appreciated, was the strong Australian voice of the character. It's been awhile since I have read anything that is set, even just initially, in a country other than America or an American copy. So it was refreshing, and enjoyable to see an Australian author making the most of their country of origin.

Jessica very quickly gets uprooted, and the reader gets to experience a whole new world through her eyes. She is thrown into the middle of t
Krazykiwi
Kindle freebie introducing a new series by Patty Jansen (I've read but not reviewed some of her books before, note to self, fix that, and I enjoy her writing.)

Jessica has a weird ability, not entirely under her control, that has more than once gotten her in serious trouble. When the small plane she is flying on crashes although she survives fairly unscathed, two things seem apparent: It was her fault somehow, and ... this is not the Australian outback bush they were flying over before the crash.
Ingrid
Mar 12, 2015 Ingrid rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was confusing at first and, therefore, a bit difficult to really get into. It did improve as the story continued and became quite interesting. My biggest complaint beyond that is the sexual content. There isn't a lot of it but what there is I felt was a tad too mature for a young adult novel. I could have done without the details.
Kathryn Barnett
May 06, 2017 Kathryn Barnett rated it it was amazing
5/6/17
WATCHER'S WEB
Patty Jansen

What would you do if you were in a small plane and all of a sudden it seemed to be hit by lightning? When it crashes in a jungle where nothing is familiar at all. Not the plants, animals....nothing. Possible, right? Not when you look up in the sky and see 2 suns.
This is a story about Jessica and her search for not only where she was but WHAT she is.
Got your attention yet? You have got to read this book. I literally couldn't put it down and was enthralled until
Annemarie
Mar 13, 2017 Annemarie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The worldbuilding was so good and so interesting. I loved how all the alien races were described, as truly alien, unknown rather then copies of Earth races. I also really liked how they did not use a translation device, but instead worked with the different languages.

As for things I didn't like, that would have to be the romance between Jessica and Daya. It didn't make sense to me and I felt no chemistry. Had the next book focused on them I would not be interested. B
Becky Cox
Mar 08, 2017 Becky Cox rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy
I liked the characters and the story. It was interesting and had lots of action. The reason I gave it 3 stars because it was overly descriptive so I did a bit of skimming. While I understand in fantasy you are creating a new world so you have to describe the world and the explain the characters species to paint a picture at times it was just too much.

Other than being overly descriptive the story is well written and interesting. Jessica is a likeable character and even though I was a bit fluster
S  O
Jul 14, 2015 S O rated it liked it
Warning: possible spoilers

When Jessica's plane crashes, she's afraid her strange ability with energy is the cause. She and only one other person survive, and turns out he's an alien kidnapper,for lack of a better term. His real identity does come out, and as expected a little Stockholm takes place.

I get that to a point. I also get she discovers what she really is and that there's a "mate" for her so to speak. I also get the love/hate relationship ideal and a "primal" sexual act that might take p
Sheila
Jul 13, 2013 Sheila rated it really liked it
Jessica is returning home when her plane crashes and she is thrown into an alternate universe. She is rescued but is not sure who to trust. She had been communicating with a man through her mind but will not let others know for fear that they will think she is crazy. She has been able to read people’s minds and emotions growing up so she knew she was different. Now she must decide whether to reach out to this man in her mind or place her trust in another survivor of the plane crash in Patty Jans ...more
Phillip Berrie
Jul 09, 2012 Phillip Berrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This is a story of political intrigue set mostly on an alien world inhabited by a variety of species of humans (at least four by my count). Into this mix is drawn our point-of-view character who, having been brought up in Australia on Earth, has no idea what is going on, or who she can trust, and why she is so important to the politics of the place.

This point of view has its good points and its bad points in that it allows the author to reveal the plot slowly, but also makes the situation a bit
Danae Jacot
May 02, 2015 Danae Jacot rated it liked it
Age range: be advised as it contains mature material including a large amount of foul language and sexual references
The Watcher’s Web has an intriguing and unique premise and it is very well-written with a strong female protagonist whose struggles are familiar and universal for young adult girls everywhere: the struggle to determine one’s identity, one’s family, who one loves, what one wants out of life, and what is and how to use one’s inner strength. Jansen has dreamt up a creative world that
Amber
Aug 10, 2016 Amber rated it it was ok
A DNF at 27%. I tried to give it another shot, stopped at 49%.

The world building and plot premise were excellent. It's what prompted me to give the book another shot. What made me put it down both times was a lack of character agency. That's my deal breaker. The character was constantly thinking about how she should do something else and then continuing to do the thing she didn't want to. When she followed an untrustworthy man through a city and away from people who freely gave her answers and h
Mordaen
Feb 08, 2017 Mordaen rated it liked it
Got it free from the author.

Interesting premise on the whole fell down a rabbit hole and ended up on another planet. Very good world building and explanations of technology. Some political overtones that were nicely done. The character development was lacking however.
Montzalee Wittmann
Watcher's Web by Patty Jansen is a great fantasy/sci-fi novel. An adopted, odd, country Australian girl has this power, an energy of some kind, that she can sometimes read a person/animal and connect, she can also do more with this power. She is on a flight with a handful of other people and it crashes. They survive but they are not in Australia, they are not even on Earth! The fun really starts there. A fun, exciting read. I enjoyed the ride as she finds out who she is, where she came from, why ...more
Charles Ray
Nov 11, 2015 Charles Ray rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books
Jessica Moore, despite appearances, is not your usual country girl. She has the ability to read the feelings of other living beings and direct them. One day, while on a flight, she connects with a stranger and the plane she’s traveling on crashes on an alien world. Jessica learns her true identity, and a strange one it it—she’s an alien whose ancestors were powerful and dangerous. But, Jessica wants nothing to do with any of it. She just wants to go home.
Watcher’s Web by Patty Jansen is a fast-p
Dovie Foederer
Apr 25, 2015 Dovie Foederer rated it liked it
Jansen did a wonderful job world building, describing the different environments and aliens, however she seemed to run out of steam when it came to character development.
Jessica/Anmi was hard to root for. I'm fine with impulsive MCs, but I had a hard time understanding her motivations for most of the things she did in the book. The "romantic" relationships were terrible -- everyone used everyone and there did not seem to be any real emotion involved. Jessica/Anmi initiated sex with each guy, bu
Pat Olver
Mar 19, 2015 Pat Olver rated it really liked it
Refreshingly Aussie heroine

I loved this book, to the extent that I had to stay up till 1am to finish it in one sitting.
This is a great Australian heroine, competent, forthright and determined. Weighed down by the prejudice and disapproval of her 'normal' life, adventure on a distant planet is almost a relief, especially when she is welcomed, befriended, and gets the chance to find out who she really is.
The last third of the book drags a little, but all in all it was excellent and I hope to rea
Elb4966
May 26, 2015 Elb4966 rated it did not like it
I wanted to give it at least 2 stars since most of the 1 star reviews I give are atrocious. But I could not get past the fact the book was so boring. Not only was it boring, but after reading 45% of the book, I do not think the main action of the story had been addressed. Yes, I knew Jessica was taken to a new world were hints of her past were available, including the mysterious powers she had, but that information is given in the blurb of the book. The book needed some sort of conflict (at leas ...more
Apr 04, 2015 Sarah rated it did not like it
Warning Spoilers Ahead

While reading Watcher's Web, I had a feeling of almost constant motion sickness from the seemingly random person and location changes. One second our lead in in her own head, next she is viewing the world through anothers, or he through her, etc. The book felt like it was the final draft of four different novels, each with different ideas and plots.

We spend a large portion of the novel disliking "Brian" and waiting for this seemingly interesting character Daya to appear. W
Darlene
Mar 14, 2012 Darlene rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Yvensong, S. Michele, Tom, Cheryl in CC NV, Ralph, Chris
Recommended to Darlene by: I don't know, but thank you!
Wow! If you LOVED Avatar, this is WAY better! This should be made into a movie. Full of action. The main character is a strong female with a mind of her own. About time! The image of the awesome marriage and swooning, only to be left in the reality of being birth-cow and housekeeper wiped away. Choices offered look black and white, but this strong woman chooses various shades of purple and blue!

This book makes me feel I have just read an encyclopedia, yet I read it in a day. When you are at the
Cat
Apr 29, 2012 Cat rated it liked it
The book starts of very slow...in fact, I didn't feel like I was making any progress until about 70%. Beyond that I wasn't that fond of Jessica - she made decisions, or didn't make decisions, that I would have preferred. Oh well - interesting plot with a very descriptive world built around it. Definitely felt the frustration Jessica felt - not knowing who to believe, what was going on, who she is, etc.

Definitely glad it was free...some good elements: mystery, romance, alien race, etc..but very d
May 31, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. It begins with a plucky young girl in Australia who calls herself a freak and ends far away on a strange world where the girl learns who she really is and where she came from. It's full of action, intrigue, romance and cool abilities. There are a few typos and glitches, but not enough to distract from the story. The characters are well-drawn, engaging, and the story is imaginative and entertaining. The only things that really bothered me were Anmi/Jessica's young ag ...more
Teri
Feb 26, 2016 Teri rated it really liked it
I don't know how I got this book but I thought it was pretty good. There are some slow spots and some places where it doesn't flow but an enjoyable read. I enjoyed the characters for the most part and since there was a whole lot going on it was interesting watching it all fall into place. Lots of back and forth as Jessica learns her past and makes a decision of who she is, what she has the ability to do and who she will become.
Ann Thomas
Jul 11, 2015 Ann Thomas rated it it was amazing
I got this book free on Kindle from the author, but I will definitely be looking to buy others of her books in future. Well executed with some nice twists that I didn't see coming. It's nice to have a 17-year-old heroine who doesn't just give in to romance. She wants to know who you are and what you're all about before she'll let you save her, even if she's fallen in love with you! Highly recommended.
Dan
Jun 22, 2011 Dan rated it liked it
Shelves: signal, indie
Alternate-world fantasy novel. Creative.

The villains have a fairly intricate plot. The main characters, somewhat less so -- in part because Jessica keeps changing her mind about who she trusts and what she wants. Despite being trapped on an alien world, she doesn't hesitate to burn bridges when someone offends her; she gets away with it mostly because everyone wants to get in her pants.

So I had some trouble empathizing with her. Still an interesting read.
Maya Lantz
Aug 01, 2012 Maya Lantz rated it it was ok
This book was very confusing in the beginning, I wasn't really sure what was going on and almost gave up on reading it. Then about half way through it started to make sense and got really interesting. There were however, a lot of grammatical errors that made it difficult to read at times. The concept was really cool once I figured out what was happening and I think with some tweaking this could be a really awesome book.
Aviar Savijon
Jan 13, 2017 Aviar Savijon rated it it was amazing
Like in every book that I have read by Patty Jansen, from the first word to the final you have nonstop adventure and action in the realm of fantasy. Watcher's Web is no different, well written and outstandingly portrayed characters and well-developed characters. This is a must read, a have to be read and one that you will as I did, enjoy.
Donna
I had a little bit of trouble getting interested in the story line. It did improve and I did enjoy it more later in the book. I found the book a bit confusing at times but intriguing at the same time. It is definitely not my highest rated book but I did enjoy it. Will I read book 2? Probably. The story has the potential for a good series.
Q&A with Patty Ja...: Watcher's Web 6 22 May 31, 2012 12:48AM
  • Watchers of the Night
  • Phantom Universe (Summer Chronicles, #1)
  • The Weight of a Crown (The Azhaion Saga)
  • Concealed Power (The Healers of Meligna, #1)
  • The Deliverer (The Marenon Chronicles, #1)
  • From a Far Land (Jaben's Rift, #1)
  • Terrene: The Hidden Valley
  • A Question of Will (The Aliomenti Saga, #1)
  • The Kingdoms and the Elves of the Reaches II (Keeper Martin's Tales, #2)
  • Wicked Hungry
  • Treespeaker (Treespeaker #1)
  • Cloak
  • Singular Points
  • The Sable City (Norothian Cycle, #1)
  • Born of Water (The Rise of the Fifth Order, #1)
  • Frozen Prospects (The Guadel Chronicles, #1)
  • The Sword Guest (Dragon's Pupils, #1)
  • Fezariu's Epiphany (The Elencheran Chronicles #1)
2920776
Author of Science Fiction and fantasy and non-fiction.

Author of the Ambassador series, the Icefire Trilogy, For Queen And Country series and the Return of the Aghyrians series.

Join the official newsletter
More about Patty Jansen...

Return of the Aghyrians (4 books)
  • Trader's Honour (Return of the Aghyrians, #2)
  • Soldier's Duty (Return of the Aghyrians, #3)
  • Heir's Revenge (Return of the Aghyrians, #4)