Start by marking “Watcher's Web (Return of the Aghyrians, #1)” as Want to Read:
Watcher's Web (Return of the Aghyrians, #1)
Open Preview read book

Watcher's Web (Return of the Aghyrians #1)

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  22 reviews
She’s not your ordinary country girl, even though she might look like one. She casts webs of power, reading the feelings of living beings and telling them what to do. Nobody knows what causes it, least of all her. Her name is Jessica, but most people call her ‘freak’.
One fateful day, her ‘web’ connects with a stranger, and stray power causes the plane in which she’s travel
Published April 27th 2011 by Capricornica Publications

To ask other readers questions about Watcher's Web, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Watcher's Web

Cinder by Marissa MeyerAcross the Universe by Beth RevisCress by Marissa MeyerA Million Suns by Beth RevisAlienated by Melissa Landers
Best YA Sci-Fi Space Opera
11th out of 49 books — 15 voters
The Last Adventure of Dr. Yngve Hogalum by D.L. MackenzieSpring-heeled Jack and the President's Ring by D.L. MackenzieEscape from Xanadu by D.L. MackenzieHigh Crimes and Miscreants by D.L. MackenzieThe Annihilation of Foreverland by Tony Bertauski
Self-Published Science Fiction
246th out of 302 books — 394 voters

More lists with this book...

Krazykiwi

Kindle freebie introducing a new series by Patty Jansen (I've read but not reviewed some of her books before, note to self, fix that, and I enjoy her writing.)

Jessica has a weird ability, not entirely under her control, that has more than once gotten her in serious trouble. When the small plane she is flying on crashes although she survives fairly unscathed, two things seem apparent: It was her fault somehow, and ... this is not the Australian outback bush they were flying over before the c

J.C. Hart
The first thing that I noticed about this book, and really appreciated, was the strong Australian voice of the character. It's been awhile since I have read anything that is set, even just initially, in a country other than America or an American copy. So it was refreshing, and enjoyable to see an Australian author making the most of their country of origin.

Jessica very quickly gets uprooted, and the reader gets to experience a whole new world through her eyes. She is thrown into the middle of t
Pauline Ross
Fantasy Review Barn

I’m a sucker for a portal story, where the main character falls through some sort of access point into - well, whatever the author cares to imagine (past, future, parallel world, some other planet altogether). It’s always fun to watch the character work out what’s happened, and trying to deal with the new setting. It can be trite, but there’s always room for a fresh take on the idea.

Jessica has always been an outsider. She’s taller than average, for one thing, not very womanly
Sheila
Jessica is returning home when her plane crashes and she is thrown into an alternate universe. She is rescued but is not sure who to trust. She had been communicating with a man through her mind but will not let others know for fear that they will think she is crazy. She has been able to read people’s minds and emotions growing up so she knew she was different. Now she must decide whether to reach out to this man in her mind or place her trust in another survivor of the plane crash in Patty Jans ...more
Si
Watcher's Web was an interesting read. It starts out with a bang, then kind of meanders as the author reveals some of the mystery, picks back up to a decent pace, then falls off again.. and finally gets moving in time for the "big battle" and then it just kind of resolves in such a way you think, "Oh, sounds like there could be a sequel" but then you get to the end and it wraps up and it's done. Granted, the indicators saying "sequel!" are not so strong that you feel like you were cheated out of ...more
Phillip Berrie
This is a story of political intrigue set mostly on an alien world inhabited by a variety of species of humans (at least four by my count). Into this mix is drawn our point-of-view character who, having been brought up in Australia on Earth, has no idea what is going on, or who she can trust, and why she is so important to the politics of the place.

This point of view has its good points and its bad points in that it allows the author to reveal the plot slowly, but also makes the situation a bit
david
An uneven tale

This story to me was only ok.It seemed to be choppy in places and skipped around and left me confused as to what was happening at times. Not a bad read but not great either
Darlene
Mar 15, 2012 Darlene rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Yvensong, S. Michele, Tom, Cheryl in CC NV, Ralph, Chris
Recommended to Darlene by: I don't know, but thank you!
Wow! If you LOVED Avatar, this is WAY better! This should be made into a movie. Full of action. The main character is a strong female with a mind of her own. About time! The image of the awesome marriage and swooning, only to be left in the reality of being birth-cow and housekeeper wiped away. Choices offered look black and white, but this strong woman chooses various shades of purple and blue!

This book makes me feel I have just read an encyclopedia, yet I read it in a day. When you are at the
Mary Ellen
Good young adult sci/fi book. I enjoyed it & will watch for the library to stock the next in the series.
Amanda
Unfortunately I couldn't get past half way. I just wasn't interested enough.
Sandy
I really loved this book. It was very good. It was different from the ones I've been reading. It's part sci-fi, part romance,and paranamal a very good combo.
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. It begins with a plucky young girl in Australia who calls herself a freak and ends far away on a strange world where the girl learns who she really is and where she came from. It's full of action, intrigue, romance and cool abilities. There are a few typos and glitches, but not enough to distract from the story. The characters are well-drawn, engaging, and the story is imaginative and entertaining. The only things that really bothered me were Anmi/Jessica's young ag ...more
Cat
The book starts of very slow...in fact, I didn't feel like I was making any progress until about 70%. Beyond that I wasn't that fond of Jessica - she made decisions, or didn't make decisions, that I would have preferred. Oh well - interesting plot with a very descriptive world built around it. Definitely felt the frustration Jessica felt - not knowing who to believe, what was going on, who she is, etc.

Definitely glad it was free...some good elements: mystery, romance, alien race, etc..but very d
Dan
Alternate-world fantasy novel. Creative.

The villains have a fairly intricate plot. The main characters, somewhat less so -- in part because Jessica keeps changing her mind about who she trusts and what she wants. Despite being trapped on an alien world, she doesn't hesitate to burn bridges when someone offends her; she gets away with it mostly because everyone wants to get in her pants.

So I had some trouble empathizing with her. Still an interesting read.
Maya Lantz
This book was very confusing in the beginning, I wasn't really sure what was going on and almost gave up on reading it. Then about half way through it started to make sense and got really interesting. There were however, a lot of grammatical errors that made it difficult to read at times. The concept was really cool once I figured out what was happening and I think with some tweaking this could be a really awesome book.
Melissa
I was given this book in exchange for an unbiased review.

I really enjoyed this book and found it hard to put down. Love the main character being a strong willed woman. I am hoping that there is a sequel. I look forward to reading more books from this author.
Kendall
No matter what the other reviewers say, in enjoyed this book. I like the premise and I am looking forward to spending more time in the universe the author has created.
Cathy
Needs quite a bit of editing, both for content and grammar. Reads like fan-fic.
Crystal Anderson

I could not get into the book so I stopped on chapter 10.
Crystal Sanders
was different but good
Kim Rhym
Kim Rhym marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Jbarrett
Jbarrett is currently reading it
Jan 27, 2015
Jjcannone
Jjcannone marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Jenn ~ Nemirdis
Jenn ~ Nemirdis marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Q&A with Patt...: Watcher's Web 6 20 May 30, 2012 03:48PM
  • Phantom Universe (Summer Chronicles, #1)
  • Terrene: The Hidden Valley
  • Watchers of the Night
  • Wild-born (Psionic Pentalogy, #1)
  • City of the Falling Sky (The Seckry Sequence, #1)
  • Trans-Human (Post-Human, #3)
  • Aliens Are Real, Part 1 (Energy, #1)
  • The Sable City (Norothian Cycle, #1)
  • Rebellion (Chronicles of Charanthe, #1)
  • The Fall (The God Slayers Quartet #1)
  • Novum
  • Sky Hunter (The Targon Tales, #1)
  • The Deliverer (The Marenon Chronicles #1)
  • Fezariu's Epiphany (The Elencheran Chronicles #1)
  • Scriber
  • The Kaiser Affair (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #1)
  • Concealed Power (The Healers of Meligna, #1)
  • Treespeaker
2920776
Author of Science Fiction and fantasy and non-fiction.

My political/space opera thriller Ambassador will be published in 2013 by Ticonderoga Publications.

I've also sold short fiction to genre magazines including Analog Science Fiction and Fact, Redstone SF and the Universe Annex of the Grantville Gazette.

Author of the Icefire Trilogy and the Return of the Aghyrians series.

Join the official newslet
More about Patty Jansen...

Return of the Aghyrians (3 books)
  • Trader's Honour
  • Soldier's Duty (Return of the Aghyrians Book 3)
Fire & Ice (Icefire Trilogy #1) Icefire His Name In Lights This Peaceful State of War Innocence Lost (For Queen And Country, #1)