Start by marking “Love and Romanpunk” as Want to Read:
Love and Romanpunk

Love and Romanpunk

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Thousands of years ago, Julia Agrippina wrote the true history of her family, the Caesars. The document was lost, or destroyed, almost immediately.
(It included more monsters than you might think.)

Hundreds of years ago, Fanny and Mary ran away from London with a debauched poet and his sister.
(If it was the poet you are thinking of, the story would have ended far more happil
Published April 2011 by Twelfth Planet Press (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Love and Romanpunk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love and Romanpunk

Deathless by Catherynne M. ValenteThe Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own M... by Catherynne M. ValenteIn the Night Garden by Catherynne M. ValenteIn the Cities of Coin and Spice by Catherynne M. ValenteThe Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
SF Squeecast
69th out of 104 books — 7 voters
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerYou Suck by Christopher MooreVampire Academy by Richelle MeadSunshine by Robin McKinleyDead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
Unusual, Alternative Vampires
230th out of 299 books — 506 voters

More lists with this book...

Deborah Biancotti
This is a brilliant read, a fantastic, engaging, fun-packed, occasionally melancholic read that kept me cackling like a madwoman on a three-hour bus ride (I got a whole seat to myself that day, it was awesome).

To my mind - and I could be wrong - the 4 stories fall into either more of the 'love' field or more of the 'romanpunk' field & I realised to my surprise I probably loved the love field more. (I'm usually bored witless by the subject of love - I like to think this is because love is so
Jenny Schwartz
Love and Romanpunk by Tansy Rayner Roberts was an unexpected addition to my Australian Women Writers 2012 Reading & Reviewing Challenge. I was actually doing a shout-out for #steampunkchat on Twitter and asking for other-punk recommendations and @KaelaJael said “Romanpunk! by @TansyRR”.

So when I was reading Love and Romanpunk I was split between looking for the ‘punk and trying to analyse (for this review) what it was that made the book so good.

For a start, there’s no faking expertise. Tansy
Alexandra
This is not a review. It can't be, really. Partly because it's by a friend - although I have reviewed Tansy's work before, and that by other friends too (fortunately, I usually like it, so that's no hardship). No, the main reason why this isn't really a review is the dedication. It's dedicated to meeee!! Tansy says that this is dedicated to Random Alex (heh), and that I am totally wrong for liking Marc Antony more than Octavian.

Of course, she is totally wrong about that. How could anyone appreci
Sean the Bookonaut
Love and Romanpunk by Tansy Rayner Roberts is the second in Twelfth Planet Press’ Twelve Planets series.

I have been HANGING OUT for the ebook version of this book and fully appreciate the work that has gone into making my wish a reality(yes they did it just for me[1]).

What does one get?

For the meagre sum of $5.95 the reader is treated to 4 original and reasonably independent works, lovingly woven together.

Julia Agrippina’s Secret Family Bestiary
Lamia Victoriana
The Patrician
Last of the Romanp
Thoraiya
Really, I want to give this 4.5 stars. Because I consider this a step up for Tansy, and she has the whole rest of her career ahead of her, and what will I do when she steps up again? But I gave 4 stars to Siren Beat, and this is even more impressive than Siren Beat was, so 5 stars it is.

These stories work so well together, but they are also perfectly constructed individually. I think the first one is my favourite, but maybe because of the shock factor (don't hate me, but I was not expecting the
Stephanie
*4.5 stars*

I can't remember the last time a short story collection engaged, excited and frustrated me as much as this one did. I read it almost two weeks ago, but it's taken me until now to sort my thoughts out.

Love and Romanpunk is a set of four interlocked short stories spread across history, from the Roman empire to the near future, all stemming from the secret history of the Caesars - a history which involves vampires, werewolves, and all sorts of other mythical beasts. Tansy Rayner Roberts
Kerry
I've had this waiting for me to get around to reading it for ages. I got it as a giveaway offered by Twelve Planets Press and the Galactic Suburbia podcast as I'd always thought it looked interesting but not done anything about it.

I've just read the Galactic Suburbia Scrapbook today, which is a combination of "best of" from the podcast and its presenters and some feedback and other essays. Having thoroughly enjoyed that, I figured it was time to open Love and Romanpunk and actually read it.

I am
Leah
This book was a whole, glistening, shimmering pile of fun. Roberts combines her passion for Roman history and mythology with a gift for simple, engaging storytelling in a series of interconnected historical fantasies beginning in Ancient Rome, and ending in near-future Sydney. Julia Agrippina is a great character, although my view is limited (or freed) by having no knowledge of her historical attributes, and the idea of Julias being a class of warrior-women, magical bodyguards to the Emperor, wi ...more
Ben Payne
Love and Romanpunk by Tansy Rayner Roberts is the second of Twelfth Planet Press’s series of short collections by Australian female writers. It’s a laudable project in itself, and also a sign of the fine work that Twelfth Planet, among other critics and publishers, have done in promoting female voices in what remains a male-dominated marketplace.

Love and Romanpunk is the second published book in the series, but the first I read, although I dipped into Sue Isle’s collection while reading this one
Mark Webb
Love and Romanpunkis one of the Twelve Planets series published by Twelfth Planet Press(made up of 12 boutique collections of stories by Australian writers). It is made up of four shorter stories, including:

Julia Agrippina's Secret Family Bestiary
Lamia Victoriana
The Patrician
Last of the Romanpunks

The four stories are connected (although thousands of years apart in timeframe and tracing some very bizarre family history). It's hard to tell from the title, so I'll say immediately that there is a di
Victoria (vikz writes)

summary

I have beeb listening to Galactic suburbia http://www.galactisuburbia.podbean.com/ for quite some time and I was interested in reading this book. It couldn't have been better for me. It takes the Roman world, turns it into a mythological sphere and then brings it forward to the modern world.

structure

The narrative is told in a series of short stories that contain a overarching narrative arch. Each is set in a different historical period. Each one shows the fight that takes place between t
Catherine Heloise
This is one of the cleverest, funniest, most fascinating books I've read in years. On first finishing it, I immediately turned back to the start for a complete re-read, because I wasn't ready to leave Rayner Roberts' universe ye.

Love and Romanpunk is a collection of four linked novellas/long short stories, which start from the premise that our historical understanding of Ancient Rome, and particularly the Julio-Claudian period, is accurate... as far as at goes. We just didn't know about the lami
Narrelle
Feisty, funny, clever, powerful and full of awesome historical Julias. And vampires. A magnificent kickoff to Twelfth Planet Press's 12 Planets series, and a brilliant introduction to Roberts' work. If you love the idea of powerful women in Ancient Rome, Roman theme parks in the Aussie outback and fighting to save the world on an airship full of monsters, this is so the book for you.
Tehani
The BEST book I've read so far this year. Four short intertwined stories, beautifully written and packaged. What makes them really stand out is that the stories (set in different time periods) are written in styles that reflect those time periods - clever and classy. LOVED IT!
Aifin
Excellent work.
Bree T
Love And Romanpunk is a collection of four stories, loosely connected. The first story tells the family history of Julia Agrippina, who details the unusual members of her family and the amazing strength that lay behind the name Julia and what it meant to ‘be a Julia’. Her family members all had hidden sides and hidden depths and the detailed history includes dragons, the lamia (sort of like vampires) and werewolves.

The second story moves to the Victorian Era, where girls Fanny and Mary run away
Sally
A solid 4.5 stars, marked up for originality.

What a magnificent jaunt!

As alternative Roman history meets ancient mythology meets urban fantasy with a dash of steampunk for good measure, it's hard to imagine better.

Love and Romanpunk is comprised of four connected short stories, set some centuries apart, some of which were more enjoyable than others and all of which contributed to the overall; so that by the time the last one was read, and there's a James Bond -v- Moonraker like scene set in an
Dave Versace
The four short stories that make up Love and Romanpunk wrap around the premise that the Rome of Augustus and his heirs was crawling with mythological beasts, in particular vampires and lamia. So far, so here-take-all-my-money please. I’m not a particularly dedicated history buff (unlike Rayner Roberts, who has a doctorate all up in that bizzo) but I am drawn to the lives gleefully depicted in I, Claudius, Rome and even goddamn Gladiator. There’s just something about the series of debauched lunat ...more
Melina
(Disclaimer – I know the author through the internet)

Back in the olden days before I became a teacher, I completed an arts degree with a double major in Ancient History. My real love was Ancient Athens (I even learned Ancient Greek), but I did have a certain fondness for the early empire.

Which, luckily for me, is what Love and Romanpunk is based around.

The book is part of the Twelve Planet series and consists of four short, related stories. In the first one, Julia Agrippina’s Secret Family Besti
Marg
Some times when you read a new author, you just know that you are going to enjoy their books because you enjoy their voice! Tansy Rayner Roberts is one of those authors. She is a new author to me this year. I first read her story Relentless Adaptations in the Sprawl anthology, and then she guest posted for me, and finally, on the strength of loving this short story collection I have also now purchased the first book in her Creature Court trilogy, Power and the Glory.

Before I talk any more about
Celia Powell
Love and Romanpunk is a slim volume of four interlinked short stories. They centre around a fantasical version of Roman history and myths, where Julia Agrippina’s family fights monsters of legend, particularly the lamia (a monster similar to a vampire). The first story is told by Julia, the second moves to lamia in Victorian times ("Lamia Victoriana"), the third is a modern urban fantasy set in... a near future Australia? In a Roman theme town anyway, and featuring a young Australian girl who be ...more
Rrain
Conceptually I love this, but the execution didn't quite do it for me. Still, I definitely enjoyed the read.
Katharine
Katharine is a judge for the Aurealis Awards. This review is the personal opinion of Katharine herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

To be safe, I won't be recording my review here until after the AA are over.

Despite one of two formatting issues, I really loved this book, as I enjoy all of Tansy's work I've read to date. If Tansy ever wrote a historical fiction novel, I would be all over it the
Ashley
3.5....entertaining but didn't rock my world.
Sidsel Pedersen
very cool and story by story it got better
Catherine
I have read this collection twice now. The first time, the award-winning 'The Patrician' was my favourite. On second read, still loved that one, particularly the way the across - the - ages relationship was handled, but found the first story in the book - the Bestiary, really grabbed me and I loved it too. The other two stories are also good, but not quite to the same effectiveness for me.
Elanor Matton-Johnson
This collection is utterly brilliant. As a reader trying to re-enter the world of fantasy, I picked up Love and Romanpunk after listening to a few of Tansy's podcasts. Even working around work and dancing committments, I devoured it within 24 hours. I love the concept of a group of short stories forming a larger narrative and I adore the idwa of romanpunk. Cheers, Tansy.
Andreas
An interesting mix of fantasy and Roman mythology. I loved the first story in the collection which serves as a great introduction into the world of Tansy Roberts. The second one was good as well with nice twists but the last two were a bit too ordinary and didn't touch me. Female readers might enjoy them more than I did.
Tammy
This collection of loosely linked short stories is fantastic. It starts with Julia Agrippina recording a history of her family, and, most importantly and specifically, of the Julias in her family. Each story follows another Julia throughout history, and where Julias go monsters follow.
Rivqa
A pitch-perfect collection of short stories that are linked, yet all rather different from each other. Ancient Rome is arguably the origin of urban fantasy, and this is a worthy modern version. Devoured at speed... need more blood! I mean books.
  • Cracklescape
  • Nightsiders (Twelve Planets)
  • Caution: contains small parts
  • Eclipse 4: New Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • The Courier's New Bicycle
  • Asymmetry
  • More Scary Kisses
  • Cold Justice (Detective Ella Marconi #3)
  • The Wicked Wood (Tales from the Tower, #2)
  • The Bone Chime Song and Other Stories
  • The Girl With No Hands (and other tales)
  • Ghosts by Gaslight: Stories of Steampunk and Supernatural Suspense
  • One Small Step: An Anthology of Discoveries
  • The Business of Death (Death Works Trilogy, #1-3)
  • Black Glass
  • The Waiting Stars
  • Shoes from Grandpa
Hi, my name’s Tansy Rayner Roberts. I’m a Tasmanian writer. I work from home, in between daughter-juggling and doll selling.

My fantasy trilogy (HarperCollins Voyager) features flappers, shape-changers and bloodthirsty court politics. It tells the story of Velody, a dressmaker who discovers a hidden war being played out in the night sky of the city of Aufleur, and of Ashiol, the exiled Ducomte who
More about Tansy Rayner Roberts...
Power and Majesty (Creature Court, #1) The Shattered City (Creature Court, #2) Reign of Beasts (Creature Court, #3) Splashdance Silver (Mocklore Chronicles, #1) Liquid Gold (Mocklore Chronicles, #2)