An Unexpected Gentleman

An Unexpected Gentleman (Haverston Family #2)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  353 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Adelaide Ward has but one goal- to obtain an offer of marriage from the respectable, if less-than-appealing, baron Sir Robert Maxwell before her family is ruined. But it's the devilishly handsome Connor Brice who captures her imagination- and a kiss in broad daylight- in front of a dozen members of the ton. Now Adelaide must decide if the charming scoundrel who stole away...more
Mass Market Paperback, 312 pages
Published December 6th 2011 by Berkley (first published December 2011)

To ask other readers questions about An Unexpected Gentleman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Unexpected Gentleman

Jill

Gaining his feet, he sent her a surly look. "Am I this irritating when I'm being smug?"

"Twice as," she assured him.

"Excellent."

Twenty-seven year-old spinster, Adelaide Ward needs desperately to marry well to ease her family's financial woes. With time running out and an eighteen year-old sister, a younger brother in prison, a young nephew and no finances to speak of, Adelaide is hoping and expecting Sir Robert Maxwell will at last propose after their four-month courtship.

Connor Brice, the basta...more
Dina
Will I ever read a book by Ms. Jonhson and not fall in love with it? 'No' is the answer. :)

As Luck Would Have It, I adored everything she has written so far and hope to keep it that way, so I will not be Tempting Fate and risking my McAlistair's Fortune good fortune by thinking otherwise. My love for Ms. Johnson's writing is Destined to Last, as surely as I am Nearly a Lady.
Audrey
4.5 stars, but because we can't give half stars, 5 stars for purposes of my Goodreads rating.

A delight. What can I say? I just think of things in this story and I think "delightful!" Really really enjoyed this one. REEEEEEEEEEEEALLY enjoyed this one. Outside of some cosmetic flaws (detailed a bit first to get them out of the way), the storytelling, pace, characters, and development were pretty much spot on.

Cosmetic Flaws

Some things irked me right off the bat. Shouldn't "Sir Robert" be a baronet,...more
Zumbagirl
Yay!! My first Alissa Johnson and I loved it, very cute, happy read, just what I needed. Sometimes I want a real meaty story; other times something light and fluffy with humor and love - which is exactly what An Unexpected Gentleman delivered. The hero was to die for - Connor Brice - and the heroine, Adelaide Ward, was also good. She was somewhat older than the usual (maybe 26 or 27?) and the oldest in her family. Her brother, Wolfgang, wound up in prison for his debts and now she must...more
Catherine
Going into this read I was a little worried about what tone the author would set, given that the book revolves around revenge and the hero uses the heroine as a pawn. The hero, Connor Brice, was falsely accused of a crime by his brother and imprisoned. He was only recently released from jail and is out for revenge against said brother. Some of you might recognize him from some of the prison scenes in Nearly a Lady (loved that book).

While in prison, Brice saw Adelaide bring her nephew to visit h...more
Steamywindows♥♫
So what do you read when you are feeling jaded or out of sorts? May I recommend this book? I think for the sake of those who need an intense plot driven story, this may not suit your needs, but if you want a humorous story that is well written, I would say this one will. I was generally struck by how honest and clear this author's style is. At the same time, she doesn't sermonize or hit you on the head with her point.

The characters are not your typical fair. The heroine is 28, solely responsibl...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
Alissa Johnson is one of my favorite historical romance writers and did not disappoint me with this treat. I found it to be an enchanting tale with lots of witty banter throughout. Not a lot of action but this is a romance and not a suspense/thriller/action/adventure novel so... Anyway, light and fun and entertaining in my most humble opinion.
Samantha
Connor Brice, is hellbent on revenge against his half brother, Sir Robert. The first step in his revenge? Steal Sir Robert's fiancee, Adelaide Ward. The fact that Miss Ward is the same woman Connor had been fascinated with, while sitting in prison, is just a bonus. For her part, Adelaide is trapped. She doesn't want to marry the condescending Sir Robert, but her brother's gambling habit has left her with little choice. Its either marry him for his 5,000 pounds a year or go to the poor house. Thi...more
Keertana
Quite unexpectedly, An Unexpected Gentleman wound its way into my thoughts, particularly during an untimely moment in conversation or while I performed my day-to-day tasks. Johnson's Nearly a Lady is a warm, cozy read; the type of book whose characters don't demand your attention, merely command it as you become further embroiled in their story. Conversely, I read An Unexpected Gentleman tense, not even certain if I enjoyed it until the very end when I finally realized I did; truly.

From the sur...more
Kathleen
4.5 stars. Connor Brice wanted revenge, and thought he would use Addy to get it, but along the way he fell in love with her. An old trope, but so beautifully done. I loved Connor. My kind of guy -- protective, passionate, strong, but also willing to give it all up for love, if necessary. Loved the scenes with baby Georgie, too.
Keri
This was a fun read, but in an emotional way. There were some unexpected twists and turns as the book progressed. The H/H was a wonderful match and I don't think AJ gets the recognition she deserves. I hope that we get to see the brother and sister get a story of their own in the future.
Tzippy

Unsatisfactory. Am I the only one who sympathized more with the villain than with the hero? Granted, I'm glad that Adelaide didn't marry him, and of course he lashed out at the wrong person (though, to be fair, the people whose were actually at fault were all dead), but the point is, I couldn't really feel very sorry for Connor when what Sir Robert had gone through was ten times worse, and Connor doesn't acknowledge it.

Furthermore, (view spoiler)...more
Sandy M
The elements of this book come together quite nicely to give readers what they’ve come to expect from Alissa Johnson. Revenge against a brother, an attraction that begins from afar, jealousy that leads to false accusations, and a love that grows despite everything working against such emotion.

Adelaide is expecting a proposal from Baron Maxwell, but she’s dragging her feet to face him this night. As much as her family needs his money, this is certainly not a love match. But it is up to her to mak...more
CJ - Drop Dead Cute
4.8

Really enjoyed this book but then again I am supremely biased because so far, I've loved everything that Alissa Johnson has put out so far.

This story follows Connor Brice, a shady charming vulnerable sexy sexy man, and Adelaide, a sensible burdened and slightly whimsical young lady. Boy meets girl through a prison window, falls in love with said girl, evil brother knows this and manages to scheme and plot to force said girl into a position to marry her. Unbeknownest to her, Connor and her bro...more
Caz
Another excellent read from Alissa Johnson. The eponymous gentleman is Connor Brice, the bastard half-brother of the baronet that our heroine, Adelaide, is angling to marry. Connor's life is driven by the thirst for revenge against Sir Robert who had him press-ganged and then later, thrown into prison on trumped-up charges: and he decides that stealing his half-brother's bride would be a good way to start.

For her part, Adelaide is seeking to marry Sir Robert in order to secure her future and tha...more
azerjaban
I haven't read a historical drama that has so thoroughly satisfied me in a long time. Hell, I haven't read a book were the H/h had actual conversations, not to plan explain or debate something. But mundane, teasing banter and small talk. It was very realistic, and wonderful to read.

I adore the hero, although he has a dark past he never uses it as an excuse to be cruel or distant. He's the perfect husband, attentative, a good listener, and he never lied - not once! - to her.

I simply LOVE the he...more
Cecilia
Solid piece of writing - likable and rounded characters, witty dialogue that more than once made me laugh out loud, believable motivations, lovely development of the romance. A little bit of a melodramatic scene that helps bring about the resolution, but all things considered, this was a really enjoyable read.
Yackie
4.5 Stars

This was a joy to read. I love character driven stories and this one did not disappoint. Adelaide is a strong character. She's had to take charge of her family and make her own sacrifices for the better of them when her wastrel brother has lost almost everything. I liked her from the very beginning when she's stalling instead of going to see the man that will be proposing to her. I loved how she stood up for herself with Sir Robert and with Connor. Their banter was great.

Connor was the...more
Stephanie Bolen
It was pretty good, but the good parts had already happened before she even entered the heroes life. Press-gangs, counterfeiting in Boston, becoming wealthy as a lord, and getting arrested for a Highwayman and tossed into jail. All that happened before the hero meets his girl, it's not as exciting after he meets her. I liked the kids but they lacked personality, except for the little one but his personality was that of a toddler and they have personality to burn. The debtors prison angle was new...more
Katie
If you like handsome rich men bent on revenge, this is the book for you. Personally, Connor Brice was a bit TOO obsessed with his revenge - in a Count of Monte Cristo-esque way: "I will have tons of money and then use my money to destroy the man who did me wrong MWAHAHAHA." Just not my thing. And when I say he's rich, I mean like 2x Mr. Darcy rich.
I liked Adelaide's character, and there are some interesting plot twists involving her n'er do well brother. If you read Nearly a Lady, the connection...more
Shawna
4-4 ½ stars – Historical/Regency Romance
Lindy
Reviewed for TwoLips Reviews. 4 Kisses, 1/2 pepper (some love scenes, but not overly graphic)

Adelaide Ward is very reluctantly preparing to accept a marriage proposal from Sir Robert Maxwell. He’s a priggish jerk, but he has income that will save her family, and for Adelaide, that’s what really matters. Enter Connor Brice, who’s focused on revenge against Sir Robert, his half brother who had him wrongfully imprisoned when he was just fifteen years old. Connor publicly compromises Adelaide, and t...more
Lucina
3.5 Stars

Für mich war An Unexpected Gentleman zwar nicht so gut wie Nearly a Lady, aber trotzdem ein schöner leichter-lockerer unterhaltsamer Historicals, der romantisch und nicht zu düster war. Also genau das richtige für Zwischendurch. Es gibt auch dunklere Momente, aber die Atmosphäre ist aber nicht allzu düster.

Am Anfang konnte mich die Geschichte noch nicht richtig fesseln, war aber auch da schon ganz nett, der Roman beginnt halt leider einfach etwas zu zäh. Dann wurde die Handlung langsam...more
Katherine
OH I loved this story-line! Adelaide is anticipating a marriage proposal from Sir Robert who would solve all her families financial difficulties, including saving her brother from debtors prison. However, when Connor helps Adelaide avoid the boring Sir Robert for one evening, she is entranced by him. There is an unspoken attraction but Connor has a plan. He doesn't want to wait for Adelaide to fall in love with him, he's going to compromise her by kissing her out in the open! Oh she is furious w...more
Kimberly
Blue Ribbon Rating: 3 out of 5
Original Review Link

With a brother in debtors’ prison and a sister and nephew to look after, Adelaide Ward feels that she has no choice but to set her sights on Sir Robert Maxwell and the security his income would provide her family. But on the very night that Adelaide believes Sir Robert will propose, something unexpected happens; Adelaide meets a charming stranger who threatens to sweep her off her feet.

Within twenty-four hours, the mysterious Connor Brice propose...more
Anna D.
Feb 14, 2013 Anna D. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: hr
From the title, front cover, and the synopsis of this book we would never know that there is a tortured hero hidden in this book. Truth be told, we never really get to see the tortured side of Connor(see below for more detail,) but it is heavily hinted that he lived through a hard, if not horrific, adolescence and early adulthood from his time spent when he was impressed and also from his street days in Boston. What we do see, as is common in many tortured heroes in this genre is his rise to fin...more
Maria
The story flowed like a river, not to fast, not too slow but just right. Both H/H have trust issues and propriety demands that they don´t speak of it, which makes it more difficult.

The story is filled with funny conversations. Adelaide and Connor butt heads on numerous occasions and I found my self chuckling several times. But there is a backside to the story that deepens it. Adelaide´s brother is a selfish man with a big gambling problem and his behaviour reflects badly on his sisters. He ownin...more
Chanpreet
Alissa Johnson has another interesting love story on her hands. This time we get to have the infamous Connor Brice's love story. He's been smitten at first sight with Adelaide Ward. He sees her when she comes to the jail to visit her no good brother Wolfgang, and Connor lives for these visits. Sir Robert, whose proposal Adelaide is about to accept, is disrupted by Connor's appearance and a kiss that ruins her. Now she's got two men wanting to marry her, but what are their reasons?

I liked the int...more
Nenya
Slightly tedious and formulaic, but hey, the characters are decent, and the storyline is decent... having read a lot of really bad romance trope over the years, I have to say, this was pretty good.
  • Lord of Secrets
  • In Total Surrender (Secrets, #3)
  • Follow My Lead (The Blue Raven, #3)
  • In for a Penny
  • Blame It on Bath (The Truth About the Duke, #2)
  • The Fortune Hunter (Lord Rival, #2)
  • The Baron's Betrothal: An On-Again, Off-Again, On-Again Regency Romance (Horsemen of the Apocalypse #2)
  • Fallen
  • Lord Ruin
  • The Devilish Montague (Rebellious Sons, #2)
  • The Scandalous, Dissolute, No-Good Mr. Wright
  • Marrying The Royal Marine (Channel Fleet, #3)
  • His Captive Lady (Devil Riders, #2)
  • Untie My Heart
  • The Plumed Bonnet (Stapleton-Downes, #6)
  • A Lady's Lesson in Scandal
  • Kissing Comfort
  • My Darling Caroline
1983627
Alissa Johnson lives in the rolling hills of the Ozarks, where she is hard at work on her next romance.

More about Alissa Johnson...
Nearly a Lady Tempting Fate (Providence, #2) As Luck Would Have It (Providence, #1) McAlistair's Fortune  (Providence, #3) Destined to Last (Providence, #4)