Start by marking “Dead Mech (Apex Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Mech (Apex Trilogy, #1)

Dead Mech (Apex Trilogy #1)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  385 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Published April 14th 2011 by Createspace (first published February 9th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Mech, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Mech

Larry Kenney
Nov 12, 2012 Larry Kenney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Over the top action movie fans
ok, this book is a guilty pleasure. It's not an amazing book, but I loved it and devoured it. It covers all kinds of genres, including post-apocalypse, zombies, mecha, military sci-fi, dystopian societies, and even some cyberpunk influence. And, of course, the most unique aspect, zombies driving mecha.

If you are the type of person who loves a cheesy B grade action/sci-fi movie, then this book is the literary equal. It's not among the best, but its fast and fun and completely enjoyable as long as
Sue Baiman
Dec 20, 2011 Sue Baiman rated it it was amazing
There are a few things to keep in mind when reading this review. First of all, I usually hate zombie stories. I just don't get them. The whole coming back to life to eat the living thing is patently stupid (imho). Not to mention scientifically preposterous. Secondly, I'm not a big fan of post-apocalyptic stories. They are just too damn depressing and dreary for my tastes. And, Finally, I have a low tolerance for blood, guts, gore, and violence--the ick factor. Well, I used to anyway...

I both lis
Pauline Ennis
Apr 09, 2015 Pauline Ennis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Loved this book, a great new twist on the zombie genre. Great characters, I would guess Mr Bible has a intelligent and strong better half as he writes his women characters like that, they aren't just beautiful fillers, they don't sit around waiting for men to rescue them. Harlow is a great character in particular. How he can make several tons of metal cute is beyond me, but he does, Stomper :) The Rookie arc of the story was also very good.

I enjoyed this so much I have downloaded another in the
Tobias Queen
Dec 19, 2013 Tobias Queen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first "read" this in audio format, and folks, I just gotta say...Wow!

Action Movie, Horror Story, Sci-Fi Thriller, Post Apocalyptic Tale of Zombies & Super Science gone awry.

But all of that is really just the backdrop, the setting, against which the story is told. It's all about the characters here. Just trust me on this one. If you ever enjoyed any of the aforementioned genres then you're going to enjoy Dead Mech.

So, take a leap of faith and dive in.

BUY THIS BOOK!
David Dalton
Plenty of zombie & mech action in this one. Overall I would say 3.5 stars. A tad confusing because the story switches between characters points of view so rapidly. You'll be zipping along reading about one set of characters over here and the next paragraph the story switches to over there and another set of characters. But, I got used to it. Love several of the characters, probably Harlow (she is one tough character & very handy with swords) the best of the bunch. I'll check into the oth ...more
Veronica
I will admit that I was a little hesitant to read this series. I enjoyed the hell out of the Z-Burbia series so I don't know why I was so reluctant to pick another of his series up but I am glad I did. This was a different take on Zombies. A look at what things could be like in the future after all hell has broken loose. I am very much looking forward to the rest of the series.
Ryan Burt
Jan 17, 2014 Ryan Burt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The zombie craze has taken over the world. Well this book has a new twist on the craze that made it great. Imagine Pacific Rim with zombies. The world was decimated but zombies but the humans have survived. Not only survived but are fighting back. Fighting back with 50 ton Mechs.

What do you do when the human pilot driver dies and becomes a zombie?
Bex Ciantelli
Jan 21, 2016 Bex Ciantelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zombies are so overrated these days, and Mechs have fallen from the public eye. As a mech tech junkie, I knew I had to at least try his book, and for less than 5 dollars on Amazon.com, I knew it would be worth it even if I wasnt impressed.
But then I was. impressed that is.
The characters all felt like the average mecha head Id talk to on a daily basis, and even the parts that were cringe worthy worked well into the story.
My one big issue was that the author didn't quite meet the standard Id set
Chris
Sep 15, 2010 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened
I liked the story. I liked the Mechs and the Zombies. The language was a bit much for me. In the Afterword/Q&A, the author makes no apologies for, and even defends, his overuse of cursing. I think it would've still been a good story had the author made an attempt to tone it down a little. Just my $0.02. Thanks for the story, Jake.
Jheurf
Oct 13, 2015 Jheurf rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
I'm sorry, but I wasn't able to finish it.

I agree with a lot of other reviewers, this was basically a dumb action movie in book form. But I'm not holding this against it! It was entertaining and had some interesting plot points.

Who doesn't like a good Big Mac once in a while?

Problem is, at about 3h into this 11h audiobook, I bit into a cockroach.:

(minor spoilers) (view spoiler)
Paul Ryan
The concept of a Mech/zombie mashup was what hooked me into the story at first. I wanted to like the story, but I felt the drabble style took away from the flow of the story and felt too intrusive and forced in some scenes. While I admire the artistry behind the style, it caused scenes to jump far too fast and often without really sinking your teeth into a scene for me to thoroughly enjoy it.

That said, the book was still very entertaining (once you got past the exposition heavy opening). I will
Oct 30, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I started this book I was already a fan of Jake Bible, but THIS book made me an even bigger fan. I want to first talk about the style of writing, the Drabble style. Frankly, I did not know what to expect, but after a few chapters in, the style was flowing so effortlessly because the story was so engrossing & exciting, the Drabble style immersed me deeper. I was truly captivated by the style and couldn't wait to finish each 100 word scene to see where the next scene would take me. Seriou ...more
Heather Faville
Mar 30, 2011 Heather Faville rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The greatest danger in modern technology isn't that machines will begin to think like people, but that people will begin to think like machines. ~author unknown

Hell on earth is unleashed...

Prepare for a high action
Lisa
OK, Mr. Bible. Pretend I'm slow-clapping for you right now, because you completely changed my mind. Once the story picked up, I was able to almost completely overlook the "drabble" nonsense (god, I hope that doesn't catch on and become a real thing).

The world Bible presents in Dead Mech was very interesting. The characters had defining characteristics (which I'm assuming was tough to do in this drabble format), and the plot was really interesting. It was good enough to make me finish the trilog
Johne Omalley
Bible must have pulled out his old Battletech tabletop game got drunk and decided a zombie mashup would be great. It's no more ridiculous than many other zombie stories but his decision to write it as a "drabble" novel often using just 100 words at a time felt like I was getting whiplash jumping between viewpoints. I agreed the vulgarity fit with the characters so that carried throughout. Not a novel for the faint of heart as his disclaimer states (cannibalism, rape and incest). I will read more ...more
David Hersh
Oct 25, 2015 David Hersh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bailed at 13%...

Rather than rehash all the the absurd, amateur mistakes the author makes when it it comes logic, and military accuracy, I will simply say that his writing style is totally impenetrable. The idea that the author switches back and forth between two completely unrelated scenes, something's in as little as 10 sentences makes the book unreadable.

My recommendation...skip it.
John Uhri
Apr 01, 2012 John Uhri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I love Mechs and Zombies, so this book was right up my alley. What I didn't care for was the Drabble style it was written in. The style breaks everything into 100-word sections. While it keeps the story moving, it also doesn't leave words for descriptive narrative. I think the story had many places where I was left wanting in that regard, for example, how the mechs are piloted.

The second problem I had was the language. I don't have an issue with profanity per se, but there was just too much of
John
Apr 23, 2014 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure I'd like it. I bought it, but had reservations. Mostly because I'm growing bored of the zombie thing, but when I saw it was zombies and mechs, I was curious.

Curiosity rewarded! Great book, well worth the read, might even fall into the read again later category, it was that engaging.

Even if you're (Like me) kinda over zombies, go get this awesome book.
Amy Palmer Gregory
Giant fighting Robots + Zombies = EPIC

I could not put this book down. The characters are great, the plot is awesome, and it is action packed from beginning to end. I highly recommend this book to any reader who enjoys post apocalyptic novels and war stories.
Al
Apr 12, 2013 Al rated it really liked it

Hundreds of years after the zombie apocalypse decimates the world, human civilization has put itself back together again. Their secret weapon against the zombie hordes: the Mechs. Massive robotic battle machines. But what happens when a mech pilot dies in his mech and becomes a zombie? Hell on earth is unleashed... Prepare for a high action, fast paced, hell ride through a futuristic wasteland as Mech Base Commander James Capreze and his crew of mech pilots battle zombies, cannibals, religious

Kelley
This book felt entirely like a over dose of junk food. The mech warrior zombies oh yeah wonderful! The writing style umm ok. The military aspect rather a sad lot. Over all, I loved it.
Davíð Sigurður
good concept, badly developed characters and cringeworthy dialogue. could've been better but it was enjoyable and free though it should have been shorter, felt like the author was overindulging himself
Louise
Sep 09, 2012 Louise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi, fiction
I liked the effort involved in this book - the author's discipline in constructing the plot entirely from a series of drabbles. However, I think in the final analysis the choppy structure detracted from the narrative flow of the book. In my version at least it also suffered from poor editing, but the author assures me that he's about to undertake a re-edit and re-issue of the manuscript, which will improve it no end.

Full review at my blog, but in summary, this book is fast-paced and full of shoo
Adam
Apr 08, 2012 Adam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There were several negatives for me... the drabble style of writing was a big one but I could deal with it. But the gymnastics the author had to go through to justify a mech pilot becoming a zombie were just too much for me to handle. What, it's too much to put in a heart monitor? Or require that a code be input once every hour? No... that's too hard even though they can do direct neural input. I enjoy zombie books (Ex-Heroes, World War Z) and I enjoy Mech books (Mechwarrior first and foremost) ...more
Allan
Oct 02, 2015 Allan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting premise on the undead. I love the old mech commander games and this was pretty amazing.
John
Jun 10, 2015 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly great!

Zombies, meet transformers 300 years after the Apocalypse. I thought to myself, that sounds dumb, but it is very well reviewed. Holy neck it was non stop fun! I may even read the next books!!!
Aaron
Jan 08, 2012 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written in a style that I am not familiar with but loved immediately. This is a unique take on zombies and incorporates the mech technology from the video games of my childhood. Complex, geeky, strong, fast-paced. There were a few obvious typos but not enough to detract from the story. I loved it. I only wish I could give it another half-star because I liked it more than four.

I placed a more in-depth opinion on my blog at http://blackinkfiction.blogspot.com/.
Donovan Smith
Jan 25, 2014 Donovan Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. A bit graphic in some places but an overall good read. I like the quick snippet writing style. Perfect for short attention spans or whipping out the phone to read a couple of quick sections while waiting for the bus.
Brian Rubin
Dec 11, 2014 Brian Rubin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun read that gets a bit too chaotic in parts due to the nature of how it's written, but overall I enjoyed it and will continue the series once I clear my backlog a bit.
Beth Copenhaver
Jan 22, 2013 Beth Copenhaver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of zombie stories and this one had several unique twists. The drabble format didn't bother me, in fact as I got into the story I didn't notice it at all.
Compelling characters, lots of action, and yes - there's swearing.
I jumped right into book 2, "The Americans" and finished that in 2 days. I'll be finished with the trilogy in a week. And then... I hope Jake gives us more stories.
  • Eaters: The Beginning
  • Title Fight (Galactic Football League, #1.5)
  • Dead Hunger: The Flex Sheridan Chronicle
  • Death Springs Eternal (The Rift #3)
  • Hive (No Man's Land #1)
  • Underwood and Flinch
  • Crescent
  • Dead Stop
  • Skin Medicine
  • Year One (Living with the Dead #1-2)
  • 7th Son: Destruction (7th Son, #3)
  • Year of the Dead
  • GAMELAND: Failsafe (S. W. Tanpepper's GAMELAND, #2)
Jake Bible lives in Asheville, NC with his wife and two kids.

A professional writer since 2009, Jake Bible has a proven record of innovation, invention and creativity. Novelist, short story writer, independent screenwriter, podcaster, and inventor of the Drabble Novel, Jake is able to switch between or mash-up genres with ease to create new and exciting storyscapes that have captivated and built an
More about Jake Bible...

Apex Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Americans (Apex Trilogy, #2)
  • Metal and Ash (Apex Trilogy #3)