Start by marking “Living with the Himalayan Masters” as Want to Read:
Living with the Himalayan Masters

Living with the Himalayan Masters

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  1,085 ratings  ·  81 reviews
This is a book of inspirational stories of Swama Rama's experiences and lessons learned with the great teachers who guided his life including Mahatma Gandhi, Tagore and more.
Published February 12th 2007 by Himalayan Institute Press (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Living with the Himalayan Masters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living with the Himalayan Masters

Light on Yoga by B.K.S. IyengarLight on Prãnãyãma by B.K.S. IyengarYoga and Vipassana by Amit RayThe Yoga Bible by Christina BrownSlim Calm Sexy Yoga by Tara Stiles
Yoga Practice
16th out of 81 books — 51 voters
عزازيل by يوسف زيدانثلاثية غرناطة by رضوى عاشورPride and Prejudice by Jane Austenيوتوبيا by أحمد خالد توفيقذاكرة الجسد by أحلام مستغانمي
In Case of Fire!
83rd out of 199 books — 68 voters

More lists with this book...

Nishant Mishra
I first read Swami Ram's encounters with great mystics and sages of 20th century India way back in 1991 and I was overwhelmed with all his detailed incidents of miracles and occult practices. At many pages in his very book he has criticised these miracles and those who perform them and has advocated spiritual practices which can get one liberated and enlightened, but the book has sort of become a collection of such events which people read with awe and disbelief.
I read this book again a few year
Arvind Gops
Before I go into the review, I'd just like to point out that Swami Rama has more than 10 allegations of sexual misconduct against him. That should give a lot of insight upon the authenticity of this book. To be on the fair side, he does admit to having a lot of anger and egoic issues as a neophyte, but does subtly hint that his "moral character" was very pure in one of his anecdotes. I find this to be very hypocritical.

The book is written more as a series of anecdotes than a linear autobiography
Kerri
Groan... It's been awhile since I've read quite such a boring book. I'm eternally grateful that I got it for free on my Nook because I would be very annoyed if I had actually paid for it.

This book is basically the story of Swami Rama's life as he grows up living and studying with spiritual gurus in the Himalayas. It started off pretty interesting. I liked learning about life in the Himalayas and some of the stories were fascinating. Then it just got redundant, boring, and preachy. It seemed like
Palahalli Rajesh
If not the greatest spiritual book on the horizon, this wonderful work of Swami Rama is a masterpiece of its own. It’s in its own league; the intruders should not trespass to this holy – isolated –land. Or else they will regret way too much. Reprimand should have been made with a quote before starting journey with the narrator.
This is not recommendable for all readers, only if you have some of the kicking in your heart for spirituality; come fall in love with this magnum opus of Swami Rama. This
Frightful_elk
Perhaps I am too prejudiced to take seriously anyone who writes a book full of miraculous happenings presented as truth.

But this book seems the work of a hypocrite, he tries to tell us that magic and wonders are unimportant on a spiritual path, but other than a few confused platitudes, this is all he has for us.
Everywhere are hints of magic powers he has acquired quickly followed up with telling us how he is too noble to use them.

Further research shows that he is wrapped up in many allegations
Sarath
Living with Himalayan masters is a must read for anyone interested in learning about Indian philosophical thoughts. This book highlights the center of all the mystical teachings in India- The Himalayas. In this autobiographical account, swami Rama tells us about his journey through the Himalayan passes and meeting with various sages and yogis of different sects and branches. This book really make us wonder-"How far are we in the journey of self discovery?"
Sarath
excellent book for those who have devotional fire in them..... came to know many things about himalayas....really good
Chris Lynch
I was given a copy of this book by my brother-in-law. I enjoyed reading about Swami Rama's upbringing and experiences in the Himalayas and I think that for anyone who believes there should be more to life than simply perpetuating a cycle of meaningless self-indulgent materialism and propagation, there will be something of interest in this book.

I will say that some of Swami Rama's stories include events and observations that cannot readily be explained by modern scientific theory. Make of this wh
Craig
This is essentially a book of anecdotes that serve to illustrate those gurus, sadhus, and teachers who inspired and guided the author on his path as a Hindu seeker. Whether you believe his words or not they do create an interesting canvas on which an aspect of India's religious culture is exhibited. Personally I would hesitate to accept unquestioning everything Swami Rama related, but even if Swami Rama's experiences were proven to be false, he does say enough to have made the book worth reading ...more
Sujeet
It's all about searching.
I picked up this books assuming that I will be searching the meaning of life in its pages.
Some pages into the book, I realized that I was searching for Yeti and Shangri La instead.
After hundreds of pages and millions of (unbelievable) anecdotes, I am now searching for the person who recommended this book to me. He will die by my hands.

PongalSwamy said, "Non-believers like you can never grasp the power of belief."
Afsal Pt
A must read for anyone who is interested in yogic philosophy, spirituality or just a peek into himalayan yogic culture.
The first person narrative which takes the reader through his life which focuses on experience based learning. Lots of thought provoking arguments.

Full of magical experiences yet he discourages any belief in miracles or magic which I firmly believe are practiced tricks as he describes. So I would recommend reading this books for the journey through himalaya and for the fresh th
Rui Delgado
This book perfectly portrays what I believe is the spiritual and philosophical part of our existence. Also, I could've learned a little bit of the origins of our current religions, and the common roots of them. It should be a must for every human being.
Ines
I read this book in preparation for my first trip to India to visit the Sri Vidya shrine and study with Swami Rama's students. I have learned a lot from some of Swami Rama's other books, but I'm just not as amazed by this book as everyone else seems to be.

I loved the first half of the book, and I couldn't stop reading. It was interesting to learn about life in the Himalayas, and some of the ancient traditions. It was also interesting to hear about Swami Rama's own spiritual development. The life
Gayathri
The different types of sadhus and Babas Swami rama talks about are really surprising. It is also amazing to know that such people into the spiritual beliefs are there . One thing I feel when reading the book is how amazing it is to be part of an ecosystem like himalayas. It is always good to read stories where people have been determined about what they want and how they achieved it,this is a good read on those lines.
Ponder
After my Mom started meditating again in 1987, she started reading this book to be a few years later....Swami Rama was the guru of her guru who taught her her meditation practice. This collection of anecdotes and tales of Swami Rama's life as a child in the Himalayas helped to soothe my soul as a young man and opened my eyes to other religious paths and and the inner journey of my soul. Great book!
Sundarraj Kaushik
It is a good read. But it is not a temporal book. The incidents are quoted at random and the chapters are not connected in any sense. They are just a set chapters giving a set of experiences that Swami Rama had with the different Masters he met and lived with in the Himalayas.
Ngawang Tsering
i travel within book.
playing with the words of "living with the himalayan master's" book.
i found a place to know the real meaning of life.
calm, peace, truth,liberty, zeal....
more.....
Suresh Yagneswara
This book is for beginners, this helps to know about various Hindu practises. Well written and I like it. Would like to read his other books.
Krishna
Very nice account about the life of sages living in the Himalayas. It gives us city-dwellers a sneak peek of their simple but high living :)
Jesse
This book is beautiful! I enjoy reading about Eastern culture, and their spiritual ways. Very uplifting.
Agata
Jun 30, 2008 Agata rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Agata by: my yoga teacher, whose grandmaster is Swami Rama
I learned that there is a whole lot we don't know in the West, especially about the power of our minds.
Jayakumar Baradwaj
It was the most motivating book i have ever read. It gives a great positive energy towards everything.
Elinor
Surprisingly, this is an excellent read. Very funny and yet uplifting at the same time.
Karthikeya
Complex Spiritual and Philosophical concepts explained in a very simple way.
Sriram
Feb 12, 2008 Sriram rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants abreak from drudgery....
....where spirituality supercedes mere religion.....an eye opener
Pooja
Amazing book. Must read for every person in search of peace.
Sajith Buvi
Brilliant. The serenity and the power of the Himalayas opens up right in front of the reader. When it comes to spiritual wisdom and energy, there is no place on the planet earth like the Himalayas. For long we have heard the mystical life and mysteries of Himalyan yogis. Here is book that takes us to the nuances of life of a Himalayan yogi. The entire time I read this book I was living in a world of spiritual joy. Seek the truth? Read this book. Brilliant.
Bhaskar
Enchanting book on the Himalayas and people living there. Its an experience of the divine nature which can not be otherwise had in our modern materialistic life. Contents touching upon the innermost realms of human character. Some of the incidents narrated, seemingly surrealistic, but, awe inspiring. If what all are true as mentioned in the Book, there can not be any place on the earth which is more blissful than the Himalayas.
Abhinav Kapri
This book is amazing. Very good for spiritual seekers already practicing their techniques as in many places it provides some gem of knowledge but more because it inspires again to be sincere in seeking. I love to learn from someone's personal experiences with the enlightened so yes I liked this book a lot.
I think this book will also prove to be interesting and intriguing to the spiritually curious.
ickman
A refreshing read providing a new experience on spirituality . The experiences narrated in this great book can't even be imagined .The mere thought of Himalayas itself will easily set one's path right.When this entire book is about Holy experiences in the Himalayan kingdom,the outcome can't be told or expressed as it is has to be experienced by a focussed read.
  • Breakthrough!: How the 10 Greatest Discoveries in Medicine Saved Millions and Changed Our View of the World
  • 1936... On the Continent
  • Retirementology: Rethinking the American Dream in a New Economy
  • Heart of the Witch
  • Dark Legacy
  • Siren of the Waters
  • Hunt at the Well of Eternity (Gabriel Hunt, #1)
  • Shakespeare In an Hour
  • The Socratic Dialogues
  • Man's Eternal Quest: The Collected Talks and Essays: 1 (Collected Talks & Essays)
  • Play of Consciousness: A Spiritual Autobiography
  • The Hands of the Buddha
  • Tantric Yoga and the Wisdom Goddesses: Spiritual Secrets of Ayurveda
  • Northfield
  • Aghora III
  • Bone Rattler (Duncan McCallum, #1)
  • Ninja
  • Chinatown Beat
Swāmī Rāma was born Brij Kiśore Dhasmana or Brij Kiśore Kumar,to a northern Indian Brahmin family in a small village called Toli in the Garhwal Himalayas. From an early age he was raised in the Himalayas by his master Bengali Baba and, under the guidance of his master, traveled from temple to temple and studied with a variety of Himalayan saints and sages, including his grandmaster, who was living ...more
More about Swami Rama...
Science of Breath Meditation and Its Practice The Art of Joyful Living Yoga and Psychotherapy: The Evolution of Consciousness Path of Fire and Light, Vol. 1: Advanced Practices of Yoga

“Fearlessness is also an essential prerequisite for attaining enlightenment. Great are those who are always fearless. To be completely free from all fears is one step on the path of enlightenment.” 0 likes
“That which you call the devil is part of you. The myth of the devil and of evil is imposed on us by our ignorance. The human mind is a great wonder and magician. It can assume the form of both a devil and a divine being any time it wishes. It can be a great enemy or a great friend, creating either hell or heaven for us. There are many tendencies hidden in the unconscious mind which must be uncovered, faced, and transcended before one intends to tread the path of enlightenment.” 0 likes