Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)

Rama Revealed (Rama #4)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  6,502 ratings  ·  157 reviews
Years after the appearance in the solar system of the immense, deserted spaceship named by its discoverers Rama, a second craft arrived, destined to become home for a group of human colonists. But now the colony has become a brutal dictatorship, committing genocide against its peaceful alien neighbours and terrorizing its own inhabitants.

Nicole Wakefield, condemned to dea...more
512 pages
Published (first published 1993)

Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardDune by Frank HerbertThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams1984 by George OrwellFahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Best Science Fiction
395th out of 1,420 books — 2,095 voters
Hyperion by Dan SimmonsDune by Frank HerbertOld Man's War by John ScalziRevelation Space by Alastair ReynoldsSnow Crash by Neal Stephenson
/r/PrintSF Recommends Science Fiction Novels
182nd out of 186 books — 82 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathleen
Read the first book in this series and don't waste your time with the rest. This fourth in the series was a slog from beginning to end, with lots of lame dialogue, pointless detail that never goes anywhere, and a disappointing ending.

I wish I'd just left it at Rendezvous with Rama, which is vintage Arthur C. Clarke. (That book is worth 20 of these sequels!) Lesson Learned: Never trust a book with more than one author.
Jon
Eh. The first book of the series was nice, short and sweet and left me wanting more. The second book (Rama II) had some really interesting characters and settings. [return][return]However, Gardens of Rama and this book both felt long and fell short of expectations. There were some interesting parts, but it felt like it was rushed and not edited heavily enough. There also were a number of loose threads that just never really felt explained. (Was the orange Avian a clone? Did the octospiders alrea...more
Luis Peres
Along with garden of rama, this conclusion to the story , rama revealed is definetly my all time favorite science fiction saga ever.
Even despite some uninteresting soap opera stuff at the begining, the finall 200 pages of this conclusion are the most satisfying conclusion i ever read to a space saga ever.

This book ended and nicole des jardins stuck in my mind for months on end. Everytime i think of good scifi i remember the ending of this story.
Not only garden of rama and this conclusion rama r...more
Lauren
This book felt mostly like it was just working towards an inevitability. It did serve to provide some closure to the series, and (perhaps more importantly) gave us some precious insight into the alien cultures, but it doesn't have the driving mystery of the first or the strong character interactions of the second and third.

I'm not sure what it is about hard science fiction series that makes them peter out the longer they go on, but it's certainly something. Longer series have difficulty keeping...more
Miguel
I liked this end to this series better than the book before it. There is some interesting stuff about the structure of an alien society in here built on speculation about the future of genetic engineering. The part where Rama is revealed is pretty nifty and philosophical, too. Thankfully, there were much fewer flashbacks, but the book/series could have used stronger secondary characters.
Lee
So, four years after my first attempt, I've finally finished the Rama series. This book, the fourth and final one in the quadrilogy, is not the worst of the batch. But then being better than the unmitigated drivel that was The Garden of Rama is not a particularly trying task.

Despite my misgivings that all the important things about Rama had been "revealed" in this book's predecessor, we do in fact find out who created Rama and its related infrastructure, and why. It's an answer that I feel shoul...more
Bogdan
I feel this and the other Rama books series except the first one are more like fan fiction. Although fan fiction is not necessarily a bad thing, in the case of this series it went quite wrong. I did not liked any of the original Rama follow-up novel. I cannot think of any of them more than a simple sci-fi pop novel trying to capitalize on a earlier big sales hit. They keep the same types of schematically characters and infantile conflicts. It simply did not managed to win my sympathy, neither wi...more
Devon
Ugh. I should have put this series down after book #2.

IMHO, Clarke's biggest flaw is his tendency to spend way too much time describing alien minutia that are not interesting or important. Also, the main character has really worn out her welcome. I'm just tired of her. Not a good sign when you're hoping the hero gets pulled out an airlock so the story can just end faster.

I don't know why I finished it. Maybe I was hoping for some interesting overarching idea of the alien "Ramans", but it was si...more
Douglas Bittinger
The series finale was more enjoyable than that last two in the series just because most of the background exposition has already been done - although some was repeated here - and this story centered more on the events and interactions of the passengers of the Rama ship. When things started going sour for the passengers I found myself thinking, "no way, people wouldn't act that way." but upon further reflection, yes they probably would.

I won't spoil the story, but there are some heartbreaking mom...more
Andrew
The fourth and final book of the Rama series. This book continues to follow the colony that was established in the Raman spacecraft as it heads towards its final destination. In this book, even more new species and adventures are encountered.

This book finally gives the explanation of the Raman spacecraft and the purpose of its missions. I don't really want to give much away, but this is a great ending to one of the greatest science fiction stories ever told.

Once again there are so many message...more
Tyler
Apr 29, 2010 Tyler rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: scifi
Dramaturgy
Worth it to the end. Awe-inspiring, rich with multifaceted scientific speculation, imbued with all the fine ingredients of great literature.

Give yourself time to end this book. Avoid distractions. The last chapters are best taken in while alone, with a nice cup of tea, and a box of kleenex.

Jim McDonnell
(Review applies to 'Rama II, Rama Returns', Rama Revealed', but NOT 'Rendezvous With Rama')

In brief, longer review to follow: FUCKING AWFUL. Do not read. Terrible shame, the collaboration with Gentry 'What A Pitiful Hack Writer' Lee has really dragged the original Rama down.
Anna
The series started out with such a fascinating premise but it all ended with sex, violence, corruption and misunderstandings. I guess that's the message of the series: humans will always screw up Eden. Bummer!
Jp Born
Extremely disappointed in basically all the sequels. I read Return to Rama a few weeks ago, and should have stopped there. I would have been fine with the unresolved ending of the book if the others didn't exist, it's really a perfect, succinctly written sparse perfect mystery that really should never have even attempted to be resolved. These last two books are terrible, I never liked the characters, agree with some reviewer who said that Nicole just started to bore me after so long. The thing t...more
Jake
A central theme in the Rama novels is that human sexuality drives all facets of our lives--our predilection to imperialism, excess, paranoia, and self-destruction being prime examples. The grand morality play that ensues strikes me as valid, but also tiresome and less fun than the original Rendezvous With Rama .

The above being said, I love a great deal about this final installment in the series. Some of the revelatory material is similar to that found in 3001 . It’s thought-provoking but far fr...more
Holden Attradies
This is by far the best written of the books in this series. The writing in Rama II is not the best, even though I love that book I can admit that. But with every book in the series there after the writing gets smoother, with less of the semi-meaningless distractions into minuet details of historical figures. I really don't know if this is from Gentry Lee improving as a writer or if this is from Arthur C. Clarke doing more of the writing, but either way it's a good thing.

I enjoyed the way that t...more
Mukta Mohapatra
This is the final book in the Rama series.
We do get a lot of answers, but on a deeper level, this book was about so much more.
We learn a lot about the octospiders and their civilization. They have a lot of beliefs about using biology to improve their lives instead of electronics. Because of this, they don't consider life to be something sacred. Instead, they consider each life to be something that contributes to the common good.

The most fascinating thing about them is that they don't allow free...more
Tatiana
Outstanding ending to a beautiful quadrilogy that should be one of the epitome works of SF. It's hard not to miss the Rama Universe once the books are finished. The daring task of creating alien life forms that are not humanoid and do not automatically use verbal language as humans do, is in itself, a reason for praising this series.

This book alone tackles the origins of the Universe questions, along with the traditional philosophical queries that follow, such as: Who are we? Why are we here? Wh...more
Andreas
A mysterious giant cylinder is found in space, falling inwards on a trajectory which will take it through the solar system. It is dubbed “Rama”. An expedition is sent to probe it’s contents.

Along with 2001, Rendezvous with Rama is the defining work of Arthur C. Clarke. The book is full of his trademark sense of wonder, and Clarke manages to convey awe at alien things like few others can. The first book is a solo effort. Clarke then teamed up with Gentry Lee to write a sequel trilogy. The whole s...more
Frank
The first book in this series was good. It has a novel idea which has yet to be rivaled. This second installment is a great continuance but starts to drag a bit. The third book drags some more but then Bam! the floodgates of wonder burst open and AC Clarke jumps into the much anticipated glimpse into Rama's creators [to a point:].

The last book is an effluence from the flood gates being opened which you'll not want to miss!

I wish I had noted the page numbers from the second and third books becuas...more
Ian
A fine example of the pure mastery that was Arthur C Clarke. He left his mark on liturate with everyone of his stories and his spirit lives on through his life's work. Stimulating both scientists and dreamers, he has had and will always have a profound impact on the way we view the universe around (and under) us.
Leticia Cordeiro
Rendezvous with Rama, the original book by Arthur C. Clarke was astonishing! And of course we all wanted more of the story. The second one, written mainly by his partner Gentry Lee, was also great, with so much more deepness into the characters and background story. Both infinitely better than the two last books of the series, also mainly written by Lee. The third one, Gardens of Rama, specifically, haven't really appealed to me in great part due to the premise in which a scientist is carried aw...more
Armineh Nouri
I recommend reading the first installment of the tetralogy as highly as I recommend stopping right there. Though I can't say I regret finishing the series, it was indeed a painful experience to see the wonderful concept introduced by Rendezvous stretch into a flimsy and disengaging tale which drags on far more than its dramatic substance can afford to. For me the main weakness of the second to fourth books was the authors' obsessive engagement with characters as opposed to Rendezvous' somewhat s...more
Saman
What a wonderful story!
Never before had I become so emotionally connected with a fictional character like I did with Richard Wakefield. I also could sympathize with Nicole. When she fell and said “I will not be afraid because I understand... And understanding is happiness.” was such a climax, I could fall, too. I wish it was Richard instead of her, though. He would have appreciated the place on whole other level!

The end of the journey was nothing less than what I imagine a randomly picked societ...more
Ali
Mar 23, 2013 Ali rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all of sci-fi fans
راز راماآخرین قسمت از مجموعه ی چهار جلدی راما است که به برخورد انسانها با بیگانگان فضایی میپردازد. این کتاب واقعا به زیبایی و استادی تمام این مجموعه فوق العاده را به پایان می برد. به جرات میتوانم بگویم این کتاب بهترین علمی-تخیلی بود که تاکنون خوانده ام. در این داستان انسانهای درون سفینه راما برای خود دولت مستبدی تشکیل داده اند و در اینجا هم روحیه بی مسئولتی و خودخواهی انسانهای جاه طلب منجر به حوادث ناگواری برای نیکول ویکفیلد و سایر موجودات و مسافرین راما میشود.هر چند این حوادث تصویر بد و اصلاح...more
Tim
Ed Tinkertoy
In this book conditions continue to deteriorate and a war breaks out between the humans and Octospiders and many of the inhabitants of all kind in the craft are killed. The Eagle appears again to settle things and puts everyone to sleep for 12 years while they complete their journey to Tau Ceti and another Node.

Things at the Node are also bad with conflicts between the humans and other species, mostly caused by the humans. One group of humans who do NOT want to be around or interact with the ot...more
John
I had very little hope for this book after reading Rama II and reading a lot of the negative reviews about the Gentry Lee-written sequels. I could not have agreed more with the thoughts about Rama II--little of the hard science and hallmarks of an Arthur C Clarke novel, instead filled with one-dimensional, cookie cutter characters and soap opera melodrama and hyperbole.

The Garden of Rama was a marginal improvement, particularly once past the "diary" portion of the book, but retained much of the...more
Alex
Rama Revealed is the last book in this series and it couldn't have come sooner. Only my loyalty to Arthur C, Clarke carried me this far. It really wasn't worth it but for classic science fiction I suppose I had to do it.

The first novel, "Rendezvous with Rama", is excellent. A space craft comes zooming into the solar system, answering the question "Are we alone?" but adds an additional question, "Does anyone care?" In typical Clarke fashion, the author takes us through what might happen if we on...more
This is a fantastic series 10 55 Oct 25, 2013 10:26PM
Goodreads Librari...: Combine needed 3 21 Dec 28, 2011 06:28AM
  • Bright Messengers: A New Novel Set in the Rama Universe
  • Fantastic Voyage II:  Destination Brain
  • Legacy (The Way, #3)
  • Exultant (Destiny's Children, #2)
  • Moonwar (Moonbase Saga, #2)
  • The Ringworld Throne (Ringworld, #3)
  • Homegoing
  • Deepsix (The Academy, #2)
  • Tripoint (Company Wars, #6)
  • Maelstrom (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 2)
Arthur C. Clarke was one of the most important and influential figures in 20th century science fiction. He spent the first half of his life in England, where he served in World War Two as a radar operator, before emigrating to Ceylon in 1956. He is best known for the novel and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which he co-created with the assistance of Stanley Kubrick.

Clarke was a graduate of King's Co...more
More about Arthur C. Clarke...
2001: A Space Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #1) Rendezvous with Rama (Rama, #1) Childhood's End 2010: Odyssey Two (Space Odyssey, #2) The Fountains of Paradise

“I will not be afraid because I understand ... And understanding is happiness.” 43 likes