Start by marking “Adventures in Oz” as Want to Read:
Adventures in Oz

Adventures in Oz (Oz (Thompson and others) comic)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  404 ratings  ·  19 reviews
In the marvelous Land of Oz, magic is always around the next corner. Dorothy, the Scarecrow, and their many Oz friends can't stop plunging into one adventure after another. Come journey over the rainbow to help save Oz from the Wicked Witch of the South, to ride an enchanted whirlpool that leads to a hidden island, to explore the spooky Great Gray Gillikin Swamp, to preven ...more
Published July 1st 2006 by IDW Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Adventures in Oz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adventures in Oz

Orion
Eric Shanower is the best contemporary narrator of Oz and a worthy heir to authorship in the body of works started and defined by L. Frank Baum and John R. Neil. In this 1993 series of graphic novels now back in print in a single volume Shanower is at his best! Others have done Oz comics with more edge and in a more contemporary style, but none have been truer to the spirit of Oz. His color illustrations bring the land and its characters to life as no other illustrator has ever done.

The Enchante
Erik
I’ve never been an Oz enthusiast – except for my passing delight in Return to Oz back in the 80s, despite it being trounced by the critics – but I did enjoy returning to the Emerald City and the further adventures of Dorothy in Shanower’s cleverly mesmerizing and beautifully illustrated adaptations of five classic Oz sequels by L. Frank Baum.

After the first story, The Enchanted Apples of Oz, Shanower’s art becomes significantly better, and much closer to his remarkable delineated pen-and-inks i
Ronyell
Jan 03, 2010 Ronyell rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children ages 7 and up
Shelves: remake, read-in-2009
When I first saw this book, I was like, "Wow! a comic book version of the Wizard of Oz!" But, imagine my surprise when I realized that this version of the Wizard of Oz is completely different from the 1939 version I was so used to. For one thing, in this book, there is a story about the wicked witch of the south and one story about a battle between the wood nymphs and the trolls.

Eric Shanower's illustrations are beautiful and detailed and they give this book a realistic yet magical feel to the c
Rachel
I am a huge Oz fan and always have been. I know Mr. Shanower's work from when he did the illustrations for Edward Einhorn's Oz book "Paradox in Oz". So I was very excited to discover this graphic novel version of his Oz stories. I absolutely love the artwork! It's like all the Oz book characters that I've read over the years coming to life, like Tik Tok, Professor Wobblebug, and the only soldier in Oz. That alone would give it five stars, however, the five stories inside the volume were not that ...more
Jim
Am amazed that this book received such glowing ratings by people. Yes, the art was catchy and seemed to be loyal to the original books and artwork, but I thought the stories were weakly presented. They just didn't grab me. Maybe I have become jaded in my old age.
Debbie
It was really fun to revisit Oz. The illustrations were gorgeous and the stories felt like Oz, but some of the dialogue was a bit on the cheesy side. This was easily overlooked once I got into the stories. I especially liked the last tale of the Blue Witch.
Robert
The art is fantastic, but the stories were a little weak. Shanower is thiiiis close to capturing the spirit of the older Oz books (Baum, Thompson, Snow). I look forward to reading more of his work.
Child960801
Beautiful illustrations that have an almost art nouveau look to them. I loved reading the Oz series as a kid and seeing the place again with new adventures is wonderful.
Erin
I have no doubt that Baum would have approved of Shanower's takes on his vision. I credit Shanower for re-kindling my love for Oz and I thank him for it.
Jeff
It was fun to read more Oz stuff, but considering how long it took for me to get ahold of this, I must say I was a little disappoionted.
Travis
Great, beautifully drawn stories that really capture the feel of the Oz books. Nice use of Oz history and a couple fun new characters.
Giraffasaurus
I loved the illustrations. They were gorgeous! The stories were neat, but the dialogue was pretty cheesy most of the time.
Kathy
This is a fun, good for all ages story full of beautiful illustrations! I enjoyed ever second.
Sumina
Just fell in love with this graphic one!it was worth reading for me!
A.
Jan 14, 2010 A. marked it as to-read
Recommended to A. by: Folo
This and his other Oz originals
Snow
read for NoveList booklists
Beautiful artwork.
Kara
nice graphic novel
Bkgridley
Bkgridley marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Jeff
Jeff added it
Apr 25, 2015
Jaz
Jaz marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Fer
Fer marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
  • Kabumpo in Oz (Oz, #16)
  • Conan, Vol. 13: Queen of the Black Coast
  • Queen Zixi of Ix
  • The Wizard of Oz
  • Calamity Jack (Rapunzel's Revenge, #2)
  • Courtney Crumrin's Monstrous Holiday (Courtney Crumrin, #4)
  • Magic Trixie (Magic Trixie, Vol. 1)
  • Amy Unbounded: Belondweg Blossoming
  • Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus, Vol. 4
  • Michael Moorcock's Multiverse
  • Creepy Archives, Vol. 1
  • Chickenhare (Chickenhare, #1)
  • Castle Waiting, Vol. 2 (Castle Waiting Omnibus Collection #2)
  • Fantastic Four Omnibus, Vol. 1

Oz (Thompson and others) (1 - 10 of 35 books)
  • The Royal Book of Oz (Oz, #15)
  • Kabumpo in Oz (Oz, #16)
  • The Cowardly Lion of Oz (Oz, #17)
  • Grampa in Oz (Book 18)
  • The Lost King of Oz (Book 19)
  • The Hungry Tiger of Oz (Book 20)
  • The Gnome King of Oz (Book 21)
  • The Giant Horse of Oz (Book 22)
  • Jack Pumpkinhead of Oz (Book 23)
  • The Yellow Knight of Oz (Book 24)
Oz: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz Oz. The Marvelous Land of Oz  (Marvel Classics) Oz: Ozma of Oz (Marvel Classics) Age of Bronze Volume 1: A Thousand Ships Oz: Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz