Start by marking “Eddie Trunk's Essential Hard Rock and Heavy Metal” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Eddie Trunk's Essentia...

Eddie Trunk

Eddie Trunk's Essential Hard Rock and Heavy Metal (Eddie Trunk's Essential Hard Rock and Heavy Metal #1)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  304 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Known as a leading expert on all things hard rock and heavy metal, Eddie Trunk continues to entertain fans on the radio and as the host of VH1 Classic's hit television program That Metal Show with his passion for music. In his debut book, Eddie discusses his most essential bands, his unique personal experiences with them, his favorite Stump the Trunk anecdotes and trivia, ...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Abrams Image

To ask other readers questions about Eddie Trunk's Essential Hard Rock and Heavy Metal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eddie Trunk's Essential Hard Rock and Heavy Metal

Nick Cato
Being an Eddie Trunk fan since I could remember, it was interesting to hear his personal experiences with the many bands covered here. Eddie's a true fan of the music he loves, and has been fortunate enough to make a living out of BEING a fan...and the respect he gives bands he's not too crazy about (such as SLAYER) is beyond cool (his backstage story of when he and Mike Piazza did shots of Jagermeister with Kerry King is hysterical).

Loaded with never-before-seen pics and plenty of interesting s
Annette
Some interesting stories... and some not so much.

Don't get me wrong. I like Eddie Trunk. He seems to me to be an authentic and unassuming "radio personality." (Do you remember when we used to call them DJs? WKRP in Cincinnati, baby!)

Eddie's got quite an eclectic list of hard rock & heavy metal bands in this book. Never thought about discussing Sabbath, Poison, Thin Lizzy, Pantera, and Iron Maiden in the same conversation before.

The book's a mish-mash. More like a series of transcripts from T
Harry Sahl
This is Eddie Trunk's Essential Hard Rock and Heavy Metal and the key words in the title are Eddie Trunk. There are 35 bands listed and not all of us will agree on which bands are essential. To me, Bon Jovi, Sammy Hagar, Poison, Billy Squire, Twisted Sister and UFO (you knew Eddie would include them) are not essential. Especially, if you omit The Who, Pink Floyd and Cream. Maybe, Eddie doesn't consider them hard rock like Billy Squire.
Differences aside, the book itself is a lot of Eddie - too m
Dustin Abraham
If you are a fan of the heavy metal genre of music, Eddie Trunk’s Essential Hard Rock and Heavy Metal is definitely worth checking out. It’s sort of a Hard Rock 101, if you will, that runs down some of the most important bands in hard music, as well as some of the author’s personal favorites. I don’t always agree with Mr. Trunk’s opinions and I would not have selected all the same bands had I written a similar book, but you can never fault a book like this over differing opinions. The great thi ...more
Nick West
They key words in "Eddie Trunk's Essential Hard Rock and Heavy Metal" are "Eddy Trunk's". Going into this coffee table-style book you need to understand that it is semi-autobiographical, and every entry is heavy on references to Trunk's own experiences with the artists being profiled. Accordingly the artist selection also includes some of Trunk's personal favorites who may not belong on any "objective" list, particularly Billy Squier, Skid Row, and UFO.

If you're a fan of Trunk's radio work or "T
Kinksrock
I'm still browsing Trunk's books, and I am admittedly not going to read every word. I am not interested in all of the bands and performers. Trunk provides information, stories, and his insight about the top players in hard rock and heavy metal. His enthusiasm comes through. Fans can debate about which performers should have been or should not have been included. (Personally, I am annoyed that Poison is in volume 1 and Ratt (a superior band IMHO) was relegated to a footnote, only to get full trea ...more
Chip'sBookBinge
I have what you would call a love / hate relationship toward Eddie Trunk. On the one hand, he is a brother-in-arms headbanger that has been (one of many) the voice out there keeping the Heavy Metal flag flying high and making sure that former bands from the 80's and 90's as well as newer hard rock bands stay in the lime light in both print as well as airwaves, be it his radio show or That Metal Show. For that I have to give him props where it is earned. I've been a follower of TMS since Episode ...more
Jon
An enjoyable recap of 35 essential bands in hard rock/heavy metal by Eddie Trunk, host of VH-1 Classic's "That Metal Show" and longtime rock radio DJ. He gives short bios for each band (from AC/DC to Van Halen) and includes insightful/fun/interesting stories and anecdotes of each from his career in music. His story about sitting down for a TV interview with Robert Plant in front of a roaring hotel lobby fireplace is great. Plant decides he doesn't want to be interviewed in front of the fireplace ...more
TBV
The redeeming quality about this non-fiction book is the fact that Eddie Trunk did not really provide any new historical information about the bands he covers in the work, but that he provides some really nice stories about his experiences (via Radio, television - The Metal Show and other VH1 programs) with the bands. His personal details is worth the cover price of the book.

Eddie began his career as a hard rock and metal fan as just that, a fan who listened to the bands. Out of high school he w
Steve
When it comes to knowing the back story of Hard Rock and Heavy Metal artists, there is no one who matches Eddie Trunk. Rob Halford of Judas Priest describes Eddie as a living, breathing backstage pass, and that is an apt description. The man is just plain immersed in the genres And for that, I am grateful.

In this light, coffee table softcover (this book can be read in a day), Eddie breaks down his favorite bands, listing them in alphabetical order. The book itself is slick and glossy, almost "ov
Renato Maschetto de Sa
This is a very fun book to read. Don't expect a lot of deep analysis on bands: this is Eddie Trunk's account of cases with the most famous/important bands on the HM/HR scene, i.e., bands that really influenced the genres. Also, you need to read it without prejudice: maybe, many of your favorite bands won't be here, but I believe you won't dispute the ones that he included in his book as being the ones that really shaped Metal and Hard Rock.
I would disagree with a few (Poison? Skid Row? They didn
Bill
Eddie Trunk is living the dream. He's your ordinary average dude obsessed with all things hard rock and heavy metal, but he gets to interview and hang with his idols 24/7. What is so great about this book is that Eddie writes like a fan - his unadulterated love for the music and genuine honesty permeates the pages. He has interesting stories that any fan of the genre should love, and exposes some trivia even I didn't know. He tells his stories with the bands, along with the band's story, in a fu ...more
Todd
A fun book that covers a lot of the bands I grew up with. While a little of Eddie goes a long way, you have to appreciate all the contacts he has been able to make that are in the genre of music he loves. Excellent pictures and stories.
And easy and fun read.
ranny dumlao
Great

A great read. Lots of interesting stories. Can't wait to read book 2!! Enjoyable fun and information on rock history!!
Aug 12, 2012 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Rock and heavy metal fans
Excellent, informative book from a man who clearly loves his subject. One thing I appreciated is how Trunk made me realize how even bands that I hate, like Motorhead, contributed something important to hard rock and heavy metal. I enjoyed reading about Trunk's personal stories with these bands, as well as the recommended playlist to get to know the work of each band he features. I eagerly await the sequel! TIP: do not buy this on Nook/Kindle -- at least the non-tablet versions. There are lots of ...more
D.m. Anderson
I like Eddie Trunk, and this is a pretty fun read, and though it sounds like some sort of guide, the title is a bit misleading It’s more of his own personal experiences and encounters with the musicians included, as well as his assessment of the selected artists he chose to include. I enjoyed it, but I do kind of wish Mr. Trunk would try to expand his horizons a bit. There have been a lot of great and influential bands since the 80s, but Trunk seems to be stuck in decades-past. The newest band i ...more
Harkonen
Nice photography and written well but a bit of a fluff piece if you ask me. Not much new material for people familiar with the subject. At times the author seems hesitant to write harshly about his subjects. Truck did admit to not liking portions of an artists discography but I could tell he was holding back. I'm sure he's worried about severing ties to difficult to reach artists. All in all a good book for beginners new to the scene but a light read for us old timers.
♡Patty
Tells about various artists in sorta a A-Z complimentary way, or such. Excellent read on Heavy Metal bands.
David Pollastrini
Eddie Trunk writes like the fan he is. Hard rock and metal course through his veins. He tells the stories of the bands and their songs and then tells us about his personal experiences as a fan, a DJ, and A&R man for Megaforce records. While his love for this music and these bands is obvious throughout he is not afraid to critize them when he does not like something the do or perform. Check out the chapter on KISS for proof of this.
Randee
I applaud Eddie Trunk for endlessly promoting and championing heavy metal/hard rock. His book is commentary on his favorite bands, their catalog and Eddie's favorite songs of said bands. I thought it was an enjoyable read and can even be used as a reference to the featured band's discography. Long live rock and roll and the people who make it!!!
Jeremiah Sain
Eddie's style is a perfect way to be introduced to some new bands or just learn more about some bands you already knew. Reading this book, you can hear Eddie talking, almost like you're just sitting in your living room flipping through albums. The personal stories add a great touch and a level of intimacy that most books don't give. Eddie's access to the bands he talks about makes all the difference in the book.

Cortney
I'm a big fan of Eddie Trunk and "That Metal Show" because of Eddie's knowledge of music, and his great interviewing skills. This book was great for the traditional and non-traditional hard rock music lover. I liked reading all the side stories about the bands and their members as well as viewing Eddie's top playlist for each band. Great book!!!
Todd
Nice compilation of Hard Rock by That Metal Show's Eddie Trunk. Learned a lot about the bands. Didn't mind that a lot centered around Eddie's experience with them but would have liked to see more information about some of the songs and albums. Enjoyed the format of the book and will be reading the second one.
Chad
This was a much better book than I thought it would be. There are some great stories in it. Trunk can come across as a pompous blow-hard, but if you can look past that, I think you'll really enjoy it.
Bob Nielsen
Great read, brought back so many great memories. I used Eddie's top list for each band to create spotify playlists and now listen to songs I haven't heard in many years. Looking forward to his next book.
Clarence Mitchell
This book is for someone like me. Who is young, didn't come up during the era of classic hard rock and heavy-metal, and has a real hunger and passion to learn as much about it as possible
Bob Wood
Great book. Detailed insight into the word of Heavy Metal through the eyes of a Metal Savant. Great read. I think I need to buy some new music.
Roger Bailey
Less information then a wikipedia page about bands you've heard way too much about. Nothing new here except pictures of Eddie with the bands.
Jeff Olson
Received this as a gift. Not something I would normally read, but I enjoyed reading about a band or two a day as a change of pace.
Ty Keith
A well-written blend of personal history with the history of a Rock and Roll genre.
  • Lifting Shadows: The Authorized Biography of Dream Theater
  • Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal
  • All The Songs: The Story Behind Every Beatles Release
  • Red: My Uncensored Life in Rock
  • KISS: Behind the Mask - Official Authorized Biography
  • Black Tooth Grin: The High Life, Good Times, and Tragic End of "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott
  • Bang Your Head: The Rise and Fall of Heavy Metal
  • I, Shithead: A Life in Punk
  • Mustaine: A Heavy Metal Memoir
  • Alice Cooper, Golf Monster: A Rock 'n' Roller's 12 Steps to Becoming a Golf Addict

Eddie Trunk's Essential Hard Rock and Heavy Metal (2 books)
  • Eddie Trunk's Essential Hard Rock and Heavy Metal Volume II
Eddie Trunk's Essential Hard Rock and Heavy Metal Volume II Eddie Trunk's Essential Hard Rock and Heavy Metal Volume II: 2