Street Freak: Money and Madness at Lehman Brothers

Street Freak: Money and Madness at Lehman Brothers

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  20 reviews
When Jared Dillian joined Lehman Brothers in 2001, he fulfilled a life-long dream to make it on Wall Street—but he had no idea how close to the edge the job would take him.

Like Michael Lewis’s classic Liar’s Poker, Jared Dillian’s Street Freak takes readers behind the scenes of the legendary Lehman Brothers, exposing its outrageous...more
Published September 13th 2011 by Touchstone

Jarrod Jenkins
Jared Dillian is a lunatic. Literally. He was diagnosed as bipolar and obsessive compulsive for the first time in his life around the age of 31. How did he survive and thrive in his crazy stew for 31 years without knowing it? By working in the military and on Wall Street, of course.

Street Freak is a lesser version of Liar’s Poker. We follow Dillian’s career from his start at Lehman Brothers in 2001 through its collapse in 2008. Since the topic of resumes is ceaselessly brought up in Street Freak...more
Ensiform
An account of the author’s experiences as a trader and, to a lesser degree, the bipolar disorder that got him hospitalized and, ultimately, drove him to leave the industry to become a writer of market reports. Fresh out of the Coast Guard, wearing the wrong clothes and a graduate of the wrong school, Dillian was a fish out of water but soon started getting the respect of his peers with his manic trading, even as his fits of temper and rookie mistakes continue to draw unwanted attention. His acco...more
Joe Peta
"What's it like to work on a trading floor?" is probably the most common question Wall Street traders get asked by those outside the industry, especially from those who want to work at an investment bank someday. Since the late '80s, the answer has always been, "Read Liar's Poker." With Street Freak, Jared Dillian has forced me to update my answer. Street Freak should be required reading for MBA students and undergraduates majoring in finance prior to sitting down for their first Wall Street int...more
Andrew Tollemache
Although I read a great many Street memoirs, it is a genre that has gotten pretty stale over the years. There are always tons of tales of debauched ways, porterhouse and Crown Royal diets and assorted hi-jinx. The characters all start to have a cookie-cutter quality: the young turk, bad asses, the 40ish, silverbacks who have seen it all and a mish mash of tools to serve as foils for snarky comments. Dillan, at times, flirts with padding this book with typical Street memoir tropes, but in the en...more
Erik
Full disclosure: I was at the USCGA with Dillian in the summer of 1994. He was an upperclassman tasked with training me my first summer there. Let me be honest and unambiguous - I hated his guts, as did every other swab. The dude gave me and many others nightmares, but I suppose that had as much to do with my relatively coddled upbringing as it did with his mean spiritedness and his love with idea of being a faux drill sargent-type character.

All this said, I loved the book. I wanted to hate it,...more
Al Maki
Most books about the collapse of the world financial system in 2008 suffer from the writer's desire to maintain an appearance of respectability in describing what was a stupid and sordid debacle. Dillian has no auctorial image to preserve and so is not hobbled by that constraint and it makes his book stand out. Even if the financial system hadn't been brought to its knees, his book would still have been worth reading as a study of greed on steroids.
David
unfinishable (by me anyway) account of his experiences as stock trader. somewhat hard to follow, insider-y, but main problem for my reading was that I never became motivated to try to figure it out or get more familiar with this work environment. It's possible that I'm on the way to becoming a stick-in-the-mud, but for better or worse I'm bored of the mostly-male "shocking" writing style of making irreverent observations by cursing a lot.

There have to be other ways to convey that your work is s...more
Scott Bartley
Very quick and entertaining. I remember the 2008 lehman meltdown like yesterday .
Bill
In Wall Street terms, I am a piker - I know nothing of trading, stocks, or investing, and more importantly, it's not a topic I ever cared about. Until I read Jared Dillian's Street Freak. It's an immersive experience, written with gusto and such that it makes what was a dull topic to me sing. More importantly, it's a bold, brutally honest memoir full of pain, courage, and triumph. The author puts you on the trading floor and in his skin - it's a wild ride.
Blakely
I know the author of this book through work, so it was one of the main reasons I picked it up to read. After reading it I was amazed at the world of trading that I had no clue about. I know nothing about the stock world and Wall Street...but the author explains it in a way I can follow and the story kept me on the edge of my seat. Very good read and VERY interesting!
Jeff
Jul 08, 2012 Jeff rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I picked up this book as research for a screenplay I'm working on and ended up devouring it in two days. I had approximately no knowledge or interest in Wall Street trading, but Dillian's writing is engaging, fast-paced and just plain fun to read. Of course I had heard a lot about Lehman Brothers in 2008 and beyond, but this front-row-seat account is riveting.
Turney Duff
A fascinating look at the internal world of Wall Street. Not only do we get to go inside the trading room of Lehman Brothers, but we jump inside of the author's head, unstable at best, a sure fire recipe for success on the Street. One of the best bonuses of reading this book was the wit and humor - it was unexpected and extremely brilliant.
Philip Shing
This guy can write.
One of the more realistic accounts I've read on the struggles of making a place for yourself on the streets.

It made him a bit crazy.
Zar Tam
horrible boring book, couldn't find a reason to keep reading this useless book other than the fact that I was bored and wanted something to read on the train.
Allison
In truth, I didn't read all of this one--only excerpts--but he can write, and his story is an interesting one.
Irving Katz
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. highly recommended. not at all what you might think it is. fascinating.
Tom Currier
Didn't read enough to form much of an opinion or critique of this book.
Marco

A must to read: if you enjoy Liars Poker you'll love it!
C Grizz
Dillian is the man! #dirtnap
Doug S
very good book on lehman
Themightybat
Themightybat marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Alyssa F
Alyssa F marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Steve Bedford
Steve Bedford marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Street Freak: Money and Madness at Lehman Brothers Street Freak: Money and Madness at Lehman Brothers Street Freak: Money and Madness at Lehman Brothers Cannibal: Nelle fauci di Wall Street (True) (Italian Edition)