Start by marking “Vegas Knights” as Want to Read:
Vegas Knights

Vegas Knights

3.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  132 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews

It's a kind of magic... When two college freshmen decide to spend Spring Break using their magic to fleece the gambling tables of Las Vegas, little do they imagine that Vegas harbors some magical secrets of its own... And of course what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas - alive or dead.
File Under: The Mob & Magic - Ancient Secrets - Zombie Wizardry - Bet Your Life]

Published (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Vegas Knights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vegas Knights

Paul
Feb 04, 2011 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the moment I laid my eyes on the cover of Vegas Knights by Matt Forbeck I had high hopes for what lay within. The cover boasts an eye-catching reworking of the famous Las Vegas sign and this perfectly sets the tone for what to expect. I'm glad to say that in this case my expectations were not only met, but also exceeded.

The novel follows the fortunes of two college students as they attempt to break the bank in Vegas using magic. Jackson and Bill arrive in Sin City with plans to slowly, and
Ole Imsen
Feb 28, 2011 Ole Imsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
As you perhaps can see from the cover image, this book has been called "Ocean's Eleven meets Harry Potter". I don't disagree much with that assessment, and it is certainly a good description of the basics of the story for anyone not well versed in the genre.
But I would rather describe it as Neil Gaiman's Books of Magic meets Las Vegas meets [good] Hollywood Action-Thriller.

At first this seems to be a pretty standard story of two friends going to break the bank in Vegas, with the only added in
Benni

Vegas Knights is a standalone novel, described on the cover as “Ocean’s Eleven meets Harry Potter as two student wizards try to scam a Vegas casino…using magic!” Harry Potter is the go-to cover blurb shorthand for wizardry nowadays, and while in Vegas Knights we follow students of magic, the similarities to Harry Potter end there. Vegas Knights reads more like a supernatural Bringing Down the House.

The aforementioned students of magic, Jackson and Bill, ar
Nathan
Mar 22, 2012 Nathan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
During the height of Pottermania I heard the same old mantra trotted out time after time: "Well, at least it's got people reading!" - True, it certainly did and that has to be a good thing right? No, not necessarily.

The problem with creating a reading audience for a very specific kind of fiction is that once the source has been drained new sources need to take it's place. This can lead to great things and amazing advances in literature both high and low brow or, as in this case, it can lead to V
Paul Barrett
VEGAS KNIGHTS is the story of Jackson and Bill, two college age guys who also happen to be magicians. So, like any smart kids with mystical powers, they decide to head to Vegas and use the Art to cheat at Blackjack and win lots of money. This all goes really well…for one night. Then things begin to go horribly wrong. The boys learn that they aren’t the only magicians in Vegas. In fact, the town is practically overrun with them. All actual stage magicians are real magicians, and their leader is…w ...more
Ranting Dragon
Feb 24, 2011 Ranting Dragon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: benni

The aforementioned students of magic, Jackson and Bill, ar
Stefan
The cover of Matt Forbeck’s Vegas Knights describes the novel as “Harry Potter meets Ocean’s Eleven,” but it may be slightly more accurate (if not quite as effective, marketing-wise) to replace Harry Potter with Lev Grossman’s The Magicians. Vegas Knights’ main characters, Bill and Jackson, are two college students on Spring Break in Las Vegas. Sounds fairly normal — except the topic of their studies is magic, and they’re not just in Vegas to party. Instead, they’re planning to use their magic s ...more
Matthew Gill
Aug 11, 2011 Matthew Gill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ante Up Gentleman
Matt, Beloit is what his name tag reads. And he has dealt one amazing hand. So grab your Mojo and put on your best Poker face because this at this table, your cards can change at any time.

Matt Forbeck delivers an electrifying roller coaster ride, filled with Magic, Poker, and so much more. I am dying to spoil but I just can't spill too many beans! Vegas Knights had me racing through it's pages, something a book hasn't done to me in quite awhile. Matt had me lost in the imaginary
Ryan
Apr 05, 2012 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, crime
I like urban fantasy. I like heist stories, and I especially like stories about gambling. This book, then, was right up my alley.

Two college kids go on a spring break trip to Vegas, hoping to use their newly-acquired skill as wizards to hit some big jackpots and make themselves rich. Seems like a safe bet, until they realize that there are other wizards already in Vegas, and that by doing so they're getting themselves caught in the middle of an epic magical conflict.

The gambling/Vegas bits were
Sam
May 15, 2011 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sam by: Paul
The story meanders a bit to start with and the main plot doesn't really get going until you're well into the second half of the book. This is great if you like reading about college kids living it large (magically) in Vegas, but not so much if you're me. There's also a part where the author appears to claim (could be a prose issue) that a straight beats a full house....

At times Vegas Knights wants to be a modern pulp adventure, but other times it seems to take itself incredibly seriously. The pr
Samuel Tyler
An Urban Fantasy novel that places wizards in Las Vegas sounds like a great premise to me; ripe for some magical actions in a city full of danger. Author Matt Forbeck obviously thought so too as this is the premise for ‘Vegas Knight’ a book about two amateur wizards who go to gamble knowing they cannot lose. Unfortunately for them, Vegas already knows about their ilk and does not take kindly to their wizardly ways.

‘Vegas Knights’ is a book packed with action and I mean packed. It is overfilled,
Ruth Ellen
Mar 03, 2012 Ruth Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finally read one of Matt Forbeck's books and really liked it. It could definitely be made into an interesting and exciting movie. I hope that someone picks it up to read who is in a position to turn it into a top-notch movie experience.
Judy
Sep 10, 2014 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read. I picked this up quite spontaneously based on the back cover review and cover pix. I read about 1/3rd of it thinking....hmmmm I wonder where this is going and then boom.....the excitement began to grow and I was pulled into the story making it a page turner. Couldn't put it down until finished. Final 1/3 of the book was fascinating and would love to read more. Some may see this as a standard family story; dad leaves family to raise son as single mom; son tries to make it on his ...more
Joanna
I'd say that whoever came with the "Harry Potter meets Ocean’s Eleven" tagline (probably the author himself) did not read/see neither of them...
Naberius
Mar 15, 2011 Naberius rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GREAT book!! Full review here: http://fluidityoftime.blogspot.com/20...
Ron
Apr 17, 2011 Ron rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The come-on was interesting: a combination of harry potter and the noir novel. Not Close. Skip it.
Amy Chase
Aug 28, 2011 Amy Chase rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I never knew I liked sci-fi until I read this book.
George Riggs
A good magic fantasy set in modern times.
chucklesthescot
Jul 09, 2015 chucklesthescot rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, uf-pnr, abandoned
Jackson and Bill are in Vegas to use the magic they have learned to cheat their way to big wins in the casino. This was basically the plot and it wasn't very interesting. It should have been renamed Dumb and Dumber go to Vegas.

Jackson is having second thoughts about taking such big risks so how does Bill motivate him? By pointing a gun at him and threatening to shoot him if he doesn't get his head in the game, firing at him every time he gets his practice wrong. Great idea dumbass. If you shoot
Winterking
Aug 31, 2015 Winterking rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are quite a few reviews already posted. Some love the book, a few like this story, while others just don't like it. I can definitely see all points of veiw, yet for me this simple, quick tale of magic abuse (that's right I said abuse) and those that control it, was just so much fun.
I really, really enjoyed reading the adventure these two college students go on.
Heck, if I learned magic like they did I'd go to Vegas also. Plus I had so much fun with how magic was used in this book.
As to my
Tony
Jan 22, 2011 Tony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First up if you are looking for high brow epic fiction or Harry Potter goes to college this is not the book for you.

OK, that is probably the most negative I am going to be about this book. I have been a fan of Matt Forbeck since his Deadlands days and love his Bloodbowl novels. I recently read and enjoyed Amortals but was surprised to find this book arguably better. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes modern fast paced fiction.

The plot begins with a pair of students going to Vegas to
M—
Mar 15, 2011 M— rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Maybe I'm just not the proper audience for this.

The tagline for this book reads, "Ocean’s Eleven meets Harry Potter as two student wizards try to scam a Vegas casino", and it seemed like it would be a good match for me on paper. I like fantasy books. I like Ocean's Eleven. I enjoy reading about gambling and Las Vegas. But I got through all of three chapters of Vegas Knights before I began to wish I had never been given this ARC to review.

I honestly don't think Vegas Knights is bad, per se; but i
Kelli Lee
After countless reviews likened this novel to Harry Potter meets Oceans Eleven, I was mega-excited to read Vegas Knights. Seeing that I spend many an hour unabashedly geeking out over anything Harry Potter and frankly what isn’t there to love about Oceans Eleven?, I had to read Vegas Knights. Like immediately.

My issue: I didn’t feel either comparison within the pages of this novel. I think it would have been better, for moi, to have entered into this reading experience having no preconceived not
Fantasy Literature
Corey
Jun 15, 2011 Corey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Forbeck isn't a strong enough writer to bring his characters to life. His magicians are heroic and intelligent, but there's no depth to the portrayals. The plot moves briskly, and I can see this making a very enjoyable feature film, but Forbeck's style is too mundane to create much excitement. His prose is plodding, and despite a vivid imagination, he can't summon up the breathless excitement his non-stop narrative requires (for a better example, see Gord Zajac's Major Karnage, a non-stop sci-fi ...more
Jimmy
Apr 24, 2014 Jimmy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, urban-fantasy
This book has everything zombies, wizards, Las Vegas shenanigans, good versus evil in the ultimate battle to end all, humor, and full of fun quotes for nerdist.
Tim
Apr 04, 2014 Tim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Blah. Clichéd, two dimensional characters. Leaden dialogue. Huge plot holes. Awful contrivances
Justin Unrau
Mar 23, 2011 Justin Unrau rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
I read Matt Forbeck’s Vegas Knights despite the concept being pitched on the cover: "It’s Ocean’s Eleven meets Harry Potter when two college students scam a Las Vegas casino – using Magic!" (This was an ARC so I hope to death they change this on the real cover, because it does the book no favours.)

Keep reading at: http://librarianaut.com/2011/03/23/bo...
Cary
Oct 26, 2014 Cary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh; entertaining, but meh...
Barbara
Oct 05, 2012 Barbara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Two callow college boys who've learnt some magic decide to go to Vegas and make a killing at the blackjack tables. Matt Forbeck writes callow college boys very well. I lost count of the number of times I wanted to reach into the book and slap them upside the head.
  • Slights
  • Darkness Falling (Forever Twilight #1)
  • Toothless
  • The Dead of Winter  (Cora Oglesby #1)
  • King Maker (Knights of Breton Court #1)
  • Yarn
  • Hang Wire
  • Edge (Josh Cumberland, #1)
  • The World House (The World House #1)
  • The Company Man
  • Giant Thief
  • The Heart Does Not Grow Back: A Novel
  • Evil Dark (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation, #2)
  • The Nekropolis Archives
  • Redlaw
  • The Wrong Goodbye (The Collector, #2)
  • The Crown of the Blood
  • Dead Harvest (The Collector, #1)
I'm an award-winning, New York Times-bestselling author and game designer and happily married father of five, including a set of quadruplets. For more on my work, see Forbeck.com.
More about Matt Forbeck...