Start by marking “Everliving” as Want to Read:
Everliving

Everliving

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Daphne Lindstrom, the beautiful young wife of Red Gap's most prominent citizen, vanished mysteriously not long after her unhappy marriage.

More than a century later, botany student Ben Platt finds himself laid up in the former redwood logging town, now reborn as a tourist destination, thanks to a novel based on Daphne's story. But theories on her fate are not the only thing
Published June 6th 2011 by BellaVita Press (first published May 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Everliving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everliving

Julie
At first I wasn't sure what I had gotten myself into, considering I usually don't read ghost stories. However this one was thoroughly enjoyable. I expected it to be scary, but was pleased to find out that it wasn't. It is certainly one of the best mysteries I have read in a long time. I love that the story was based around Redwoods. (I love trees, very much like the characters in the book.) In my opinion this was more of a love story than a ghost story. The main character Ben has always been in ...more
Melissa
I won this book in a drawing sponsored by good reads. When I first began the book I thought it to be slow, but not all books need to be a quick read so I stuck with it. The interest began to bloom in this uniquely derived "ghost" story. The beauty of the writing created interests in nature and back stories of many well developed characters. The author (Dudley) has intrigued me enough to look through her other books and discover more about how she writes. I felt that she was very well researched ...more
Naomi
I thought the storyline for the first 1/2 to 2/3rds fo this book was really good. It fell off for me the last 1/3rd though and it rapidly lost my interest. Also, the first part was def. mystery. I was trying to figure out what happened to Daphne...why was she a ghost? Why was she sticking around? The last part just seemed pure fantasy to me. Not disappointed I read it..would have liked it to be all mystery though.
Calley
I know, I can't believe I read this either. I only got about 2/3 of the way through it before vomiting on my Kindle. Some books are free for a reason...!
Chris
Tree ghost. How could I not be drawn to this.
This is a story about an old grove of CA Redwoods and the girl who fought to save them over 100 years ago. Daphne Lindstrom was wild for her time and spent all her time in the forest and loved the trees. Then one day she disappeared.
In the present, the town of Red Gap has become a tourist attraction to see the one remaining tree Grand Daddy and hope for a sighting of the ghost of Daphne that is said to haunt the grove as popularized by best selling no
Sharon
I wish I could give this four-and-a-half stars, because there were only minor things that niggled at me, and only at the end. I'm the kind of girl who likes all loose ends neatly tied up, and there were a couple left dangling. Those loose ends, however, have made me think about this book quite a bit since I finished reading, so all-in-all, not a huge issue.

I loved that Ms. Dudley did not write this preaching from either side's podium: it neither came firmly down on logging's side nor on environm
Amanda Hicks
Not a bad story overall. I did feel that the romance that came out of it seemed really contrived. There wasn't enough explanation as to WHY Ben would fall for the woman he did. I mean, yeah it did say why but it was a shallow why. I really wanted something more from it. But all in all, really not a bad story. I enjoyed all of the characters and learning about this quirky little logging town. In fact, I would have preferred to learn just a bit more about the town and its various denizens but I su ...more
Kat
Is this when people say the read has been like a rollercoaster ride?

I'm still torn deciding whether it's a good or a bad thing.

Personally I thought the plot and the direction was very nice. Nice, romantic, ethereal, paranormal. It's some of the actual happenings and conversations that put a damper into things.

I'd like to summarize the story out... but the plot is so unique (to my knowledge) that doing so will just give the story away... Let's just say... be careful of what pacts you make.

The who
Brittany
judy
i know 2 stars for what is essentially a well-written book, seems low but i can explain!

1. 2 stars, according to goodreads mean "ok". "ok" is not bad. "ok" is exactly how i felt after reading this book.

2. i got this book via the first reads program which i think is great but doesn't necessarily describe the books that well. had i known what kind of book this would be, i doubt i would've entered my name for it.

i do not enjoy romance novel. i don't especially like ghost stories. unfortunately, th
Jenny
I usually all about haunted romances, with fun/zanny town characters. This, technically, fits the bill. However, something felt a bit off, and it felt like it could have gone in many different directions at any point in the story. (view spoiler) ...more
Melissa Maffei
Alisonb
I liked this book, but didn't love it. Ghost stories are not my "thing."

However, I've read other books by Dudley and LOVED them, so I am confident in saying that the reason that I didn't LOVE this one is because of the ghost story line.

I went through a love-hate range of emotions in regards to Ben, the main non-ghost character. At times I adored him for his simpleness, his kindness, his gentleness... and other times I felt like he was a whiny 16-year old boy.

I have a girlfriend that loves ghost
Julie
I received this through the First Reads program.

This was an enjoyable read. I immediately liked Ben, possibly because I felt sorry for him, but I also thought his voice was realistic. The various townspeople blended together a bit for me, but I liked how the ghost story was introduced and carried out in a plausible way (as these things go). There are interesting details about redwoods, and it made me want to visit the Pacific Northwest. It could have been a bit shorter (less of Ben's angst, I th
Kelly
A ghost story about a botanist who falls in love with a ghostly woman protecting a giant redwood. Yeah, seems a little odd, right?

I didn't anticipate loving this book as much as I did. But I really, truly enjoyed the story. It was a unique and educational spin on a ghost story, that also educated you immensely on the coastal redwoods.

The love story felt a bit contrived, but honestly it held my full attention from start to finish, so I'm letting that bit go.

Well written, engaging, and fun.
Kamilla
Part of this book were great.., other parts just dragged on....
I have real issues with the end of the book though. There were an extra two chapters at the end, one completely out of style of the rest of the novel which was jarring and really unnessecary.

The other issue I have is that parts of the story are told to the main character by another, the writing it horrible in these sections. The dialogue is stifled and so out of character with the rest of the book.
Cheryl, The Book Contessa
Interesting read. Such a different premise in this book: Does the town of Red Gap have a ghost who connects with residents and tourists? Is Daphne's life interwoven with the forest and redwoods? Townspeople and visitors question their own sanity looking for answers. I found some of the book fascinating; some of it contrived. I also felt very compelled to keep reading, even when I shook my head with the next turn of the page and events in the book.
Mel
I received this book as the result of a First Reads Giveaway from Goodreads, and was pleasantly surprised. I don't really know what I was expecting when I picked up this book, but it wasn't what I got. Everliving is an addicting story about a guy and and a ghost, but it's not like any ghost story I've ever read. I was drawn in, even though I was dubious about liking it when I first picked it up.
I'm not finishing this crap. The first half of the book was actually really enjoyable and it pulled me in, but once it all started becoming nothing but whiny drivel from the main character over how ridiculously obsessed/"in love" with this ghost he is, that's when you lost me. I hardly ever decide not to finish a book, but I just couldn't put up with this nonsense anymore.
Christine
It took me awhile to get into this one - mostly because I didn't clearly hear the book's "voice" until midway through... But once I heard that voice, I couldn't put it down. An enjoyable summer read.
Eskay Wolfersperger
I almost gave up on this book twice, but went on when some detail piqued my interest. Still, not my favorite book. I guess I don't like ghost stories. I got this book free on my Kindle.
Judy Bullard
This seemed to take more time than I usually like to spend on a novel!! Took a lot of time to get into the story. I was much more interested as the story went along.
Chloe
I'm glad to have won this book in the Goodreads Giveaway
it was ok it just took me some time to get into the story but it was a really great book !!
Jeanne
This was a very interesting book, I was not sure at first if I would like it or not but it was a wonderfully written book that sucked me in quickly.
Mindy
Will look for more by this author. There were some great surprises. Great ending.
Carol
interesting, descriptive writing.
interesting story line.
interesting read.
Ellie
really enjoying this well-written book.
LOVED IT!!!
Brittany Knight
i could not finish this book it is soooooo boring
Sara
Jan 15, 2012 Sara marked it as to-read

*Recommended by GoodReads

Dianne
Jan 07, 2012 Dianne marked it as to-read
Shelves: mystrery
Free today 1/7/12
  • Beautifully Broken (#1)
  • The Poisoned House
  • Kiss of Night (Kiss Trilogy, #1)
  • Dead Spell
  • Druid's Daughter (Garland of Druids, #1)
  • Haunting Refrain
  • Foxy's Tale (Reluctant Vampire Series, #1)
  • Scott Nicholson Library, Vol 4
  • Journey's End
  • Collier (Phantom Lives, #1)
  • Secrets after Dark
  • The Devil and Preston Black (Murder Ballads and Whiskey)
  • Altered
  • The Gossamer Gate
  • Camp Follower (A Mystery of the American Revolution, # 3)
  • Amos Walker: The Complete Story Collection
  • Dead Pan (Daphne Martin, #2)
  • Endlessly (Endlessly, #1)
Christina Dudley is the author of novels The Beresfords, Everliving, Mourning Becomes Cassandra and MBC's sequel The Littlest Doubts, as well as Zola-award-winning children's picture book Mia and the Magic Cupcakes. Her latest venture is a series of traditional Regency romances called The Hapgoods of Bramleigh, of which THE NATURALIST is the first and A VERY PLAIN YOUNG MAN the second.

When not wri
More about Christina Dudley...
Mourning Becomes Cassandra The Littlest Doubts The Beresfords The Naturalist (The Hapgoods of Bramleigh, #1) A Very Plain Young Man (The Hapgoods of Bramleigh, #2)