Start by marking “Let's Play In The Forest While The Wolf Is Not Around” as Want to Read:
Let's Play In The Forest While The Wolf Is Not Around

Let's Play In The Forest While The Wolf Is Not Around

Rising star Claudia Rueda makes a sparkling debut as author and artist in this winsome story based on a traditional French and Spanish play song for the very young.

"Let's play in the forest while the wolf is not around," sing the animals in the forest. "Wolf, are you there?"

"I am putting on my underpants," Wolf answers.

As Duck, Bunny, Moose, Beaver, and others play between
Published September 1st 2006 by Scholastic Press (first published 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about Let's Play In The Forest While The Wolf Is Not Around

Jubilation Lee
So, I found this book intensely boring, song and all.

But my kids went insane over it. I could have read it every day for a month and I think they'd still have wanted more.

"WOLF ARE YOU THEEEERE?!" they'd scream to one another, collapsed on the floor from where they'd fallen after singing yet another endless rendition of "Let's play in the fooooorest...."

Plus, there was a reference to wolf's underwear. That always scores points.

So five stars, Let's Play In The Forest While the Wolf is Not Around,
Jun 06, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009
This is a cute book, but I think it'd be more fun to sing the song and play the game, rather than read the book. It's a bit too repetitive for my taste. Overall, it's a good book, but certainly not our favorite.
Angélica Cardiel
Oct 04, 2016 Angélica Cardiel rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
I enjoyed more the explanation on the last page than the actual book itself. In México we also play the game so it was quite interesting to find out the history of this game.
Oct 10, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This should be a great read-aloud, switching back and forth between the animals playing in the forest and the wolf as he gets ready to go outside. The tension ratchets up with each article of clothing the wolf puts on. I anticipate lots of giggles from my preschool group. (Apparently, this is a song and there is music at the end of the book so you can learn it.)

Had to add that my preschoolers loved this, as predicted. I think the adults probably wanted to scream because of all the repetition, bu
Philip Raber
Mar 02, 2016 Philip Raber rated it it was amazing
This tale originates from northern France prior to the 16th century. It is accompanied by a song meant to be a fun, parenting trick to get little ones dressed for the day. The wolf represents danger, but the bright colors, comical forest animals and happy ending makes for a story that preschoolers would love. The title, let's play in the forest while the wolf is not around is repeated through the book.
Apr 24, 2013 Samantha rated it really liked it
The animals of the forest play while the wolf is busy getting dressed. They fear when he's done that he will want to eat them up, but as it turns out he's got a craving for...pancakes!

Sheet music follows the story along with an author's note about the origins of the story.

Artwork was rendered using graphite pencils on digital prints. The simple colors and shapes make this a great read aloud for wither toddlers or preschoolers.
Aug 11, 2013 Evan rated it really liked it
Fun call and response story that builds suspense as the wolf gets dressed. This works well for story time, but because of the sparse illustrations it definitely needs some help. This is a traditional game played by children in South America, and the song with the words and notes is in the back of the book. I sang the beginning of the song, and had the kids asking if the wolf was there. They think it is funny at the end when he eats pancakes.
Jun 20, 2015 Vicki rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime, preschool
This is a great one for building anticipation -- I didn't have time to learn the song included, so I just had the kids pat their hands against their laps and chant the refrain. It worked wonderfully. And the mention of the word "underpants" in the beginning of the book basically sets them up to be pleased. It was more or less a laugh riot!
Jan 25, 2016 Tricia rated it it was amazing
Fun interactive book for story times! Begin by reading this cute, sparse tale by yourself, and then once kids catch on, have them join in calling, "Wolf, are you there?"

Build suspense and encourage participation as the faces o the woodland animals change from playful to apprehensive to outright scared!!

Recommend for Pre-k to 1st grade!
Oct 16, 2010 jacky rated it liked it
Recommends it for: toddlers - K
Can I just say how awesome our story time librarian is? Her wolf voice kicked butt! She can the words as the little tune shown at the back of the book as well. I enjoyed watching the wolf slowly get dressed. It makes a great build up of suspense that reminds me of the game Mr Bear Are You Awake?, but it is also a great review of clothes for younger kids. Overall, great story time choice!
This is a great book to read aloud in story time. The kids love singing the song with the animals, and watching what the wolf is going to put on next. You can find a template on line to make a flannel board for the story. I made the underwear with polka-dot felt, and the kids crack up every time we get to that part.
Jan 26, 2012 Vicki rated it really liked it
Shelves: tiny-tots
This is a cute story with a repetitive phrase and general silliness. It may be appreciated a bit more by the pre-school crowd, but the Tiny Totters laughed at some of the pages. I also sang part of this book
Sep 11, 2009 Tati rated it it was amazing
I interviewed Claudia Rueda from Colombia. This is based on a Latin American traditional game played by children. It plays the game and has a fun surprise ending. Easy to translate while reading...
Aug 11, 2014 Nicole rated it liked it
The buildup of anticipation is wonderful! I hadn't know this was a traditional song/game when I got it, and the interactions make it a great fit for storytime. The illustrations are ho-hum, but the meat is in the action so that's fine.
May 21, 2012 orangerful rated it liked it
Going to try this in storytime this week. Need to google to find out what the melody of the folk song is! My only complaint is I wish the book was a little bigger but I'm hoping the colorful illustrations will translate well in a room full of kids.
Nov 10, 2009 Treasure rated it really liked it
One of my favorites for story time, as it is perfect to do as a felt story. Kids will love repeating back "Wolf! Are you there?" and watch the progression of wolf putting on his clothes. Older kids will also understand that this is THE wolf from fairy tales.
Themes - Forest, wolf, getting dressed,eating and has audience participation. This is a good book for a variety of ages and you can draw them in by having the children call out for the wolf like the characters do in the story. Fun surprise ending.
Miss Kelly
Feb 09, 2016 Miss Kelly rated it really liked it
Cute read along book that would be wonderful for story times. This book was written by Claudia Rueda who loved to sing "Lets Play in the Forest (Jugemos en el Bosque)" which is a traditional French and Spanish play song.
Dec 06, 2013 Phoenix rated it really liked it
Simple and Phoenix liked it but the part when the wolf shows he big teeth scared the happy out of me. I don't like that bit. But she likes acting parts of the book out.
Nov 24, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Very funny call and response book with a repeating text, fun pictures, and a funny wolf who takes forever to get ready... and underpants. Because who doesn't love underpants.
Ecl  Storytellers
Flannel set. This one's a winner! Kids can echo after you, "Wolf, are you there?" as wolf let's them know he's getting dressed.
Lot of repetition to see if the wolf will come out. The wolf is getting dressed to go somewhere. Great book for storytime.
This will be a great read aloud. I can here the kids chiming in with the repetitive phrases. Hey they mention underpants and what is funnier than that!!!!!!
I sing "let's play in the forest while the wolf is not around" and all the kids/parents say with me "wolf, are you there?"
Mar 07, 2013 Jen rated it it was amazing
Very repetitive book. Centered around a wolf getting ready in the morning while the other animals play in the forest. based on an old french game. Includes song in the end.
May 27, 2010 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
You might think that once the wolf is dressed, he'll run to eat the forest animals. Instead, he's happy to eat pancakes.
Apr 11, 2013 Lara rated it really liked it
We read this is in story time, singing the "let's play in the forest..." parts and the kids thought it was hilarious! Lots of fun...
Jun 26, 2009 Maria rated it it was amazing
Another recent favorite of the books we checked out at the library. Tanner is facinated by the big bad wolf!
This is one of my all-time favorite storytime books! Singing the song gets all the little ones chiming in. We turned it into a "Mother May I" game. Super, super fun!
Sep 06, 2008 Tricia rated it it was ok
a spanish/french play song highlights the bright pictures within this book with lots of repeating and a faux surprise ending where the wolf doesn't eat his friends.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »