Start by marking “Let's Play In The Forest While The Wolf Is Not Around” as Want to Read:
Let's Play In The Forest While The Wolf Is Not Around

Let's Play In The Forest While The Wolf Is Not Around

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Rising star Claudia Rueda makes a sparkling debut as author and artist in this winsome story based on a traditional French and Spanish play song for the very young.

"Let's play in the forest while the wolf is not around," sing the animals in the forest. "Wolf, are you there?"

"I am putting on my underpants," Wolf answers.

As Duck, Bunny, Moose, Beaver, and others play between
Published September 1st 2006 by Scholastic Press (first published 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about Let's Play In The Forest While The Wolf Is Not Around

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pete the Cat by Eric LitwinBark, George by Jules FeifferThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleFrom Head to Toe by Eric Carle
How to rock toddler storytime
162nd out of 289 books — 131 voters
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsBark, George by Jules FeifferClick, Clack, Moo by Doreen CroninKnuffle Bunny by Mo WillemsI Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen
Favorite Funny Story Time Picture Books
92nd out of 140 books — 107 voters

More lists with this book...

Cheryl
I had a lucky experience today. A neighbor girl, about 4 (?) came out of her apartment and I was the only other person outside; none of her playmates were out. I called out to her if she wanted me to read a book to her, and she came over. She said she likes scary stories, so I chose this one from my pile of library-impulse-grabs. We started laughing the moment we met the wolf. Well before the end she was ready to 'read' it herself. We got to the scary page, and her eyes widened, and she told the ...more
Monica!
So, I found this book intensely boring, song and all.

But my kids went insane over it. I could have read it every day for a month and I think they'd still have wanted more.

"WOLF ARE YOU THEEEERE?!" they'd scream to one another, collapsed on the floor from where they'd fallen after singing yet another endless rendition of "Let's play in the fooooorest...."

Plus, there was a reference to wolf's underwear. That always scores points.

So five stars, Let's Play In The Forest While the Wolf is Not Around,
Dolly
Jun 06, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens
This is a cute book, but I think it'd be more fun to sing the song and play the game, rather than read the book. It's a bit too repetitive for my taste. Overall, it's a good book, but certainly not our favorite.
Bmack
Themes - Forest, wolf, getting dressed,eating and has audience participation. This is a good book for a variety of ages and you can draw them in by having the children call out for the wolf like the characters do in the story. Fun surprise ending.
Nicole
The buildup of anticipation is wonderful! I hadn't know this was a traditional song/game when I got it, and the interactions make it a great fit for storytime. The illustrations are ho-hum, but the meat is in the action so that's fine.
Kristina
I sing "let's play in the forest while the wolf is not around" and all the kids/parents say with me "wolf, are you there?"
Jessica
This is a great read-aloud for 4-5 year olds.
Melissa
This should be a great read-aloud, switching back and forth between the animals playing in the forest and the wolf as he gets ready to go outside. The tension ratchets up with each article of clothing the wolf puts on. I anticipate lots of giggles from my preschool group. (Apparently, this is a song and there is music at the end of the book so you can learn it.)

Had to add that my preschoolers loved this, as predicted. I think the adults probably wanted to scream because of all the repetition, bu
Samantha
The animals of the forest play while the wolf is busy getting dressed. They fear when he's done that he will want to eat them up, but as it turns out he's got a craving for...pancakes!

Sheet music follows the story along with an author's note about the origins of the story.

Artwork was rendered using graphite pencils on digital prints. The simple colors and shapes make this a great read aloud for wither toddlers or preschoolers.
Evan
Fun call and response story that builds suspense as the wolf gets dressed. This works well for story time, but because of the sparse illustrations it definitely needs some help. This is a traditional game played by children in South America, and the song with the words and notes is in the back of the book. I sang the beginning of the song, and had the kids asking if the wolf was there. They think it is funny at the end when he eats pancakes.
jacky
Oct 16, 2010 jacky rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: toddlers - K
Can I just say how awesome our story time librarian is? Her wolf voice kicked butt! She can the words as the little tune shown at the back of the book as well. I enjoyed watching the wolf slowly get dressed. It makes a great build up of suspense that reminds me of the game Mr Bear Are You Awake?, but it is also a great review of clothes for younger kids. Overall, great story time choice!
Vicki
This is a great one for building anticipation -- I didn't have time to learn the song included, so I just had the kids pat their hands against their laps and chant the refrain. It worked wonderfully. And the mention of the word "underpants" in the beginning of the book basically sets them up to be pleased. It was more or less a laugh riot!
S.K.
Repetition is nice and necessary when reading to young kids. They like the familiarity. However, this story took it a little too far for me, the reader. Boring!

And I guess...the ending was supposed to be a surprise, but it felt more like a let down. Again, boring.

A little more variation would have made this a better story!
Maria
This is a great book to read aloud in story time. The kids love singing the song with the animals, and watching what the wolf is going to put on next. You can find a template on line to make a flannel board for the story. I made the underwear with polka-dot felt, and the kids crack up every time we get to that part.
Treasure
One of my favorites for story time, as it is perfect to do as a felt story. Kids will love repeating back "Wolf! Are you there?" and watch the progression of wolf putting on his clothes. Older kids will also understand that this is THE wolf from fairy tales.
orangerful
Going to try this in storytime this week. Need to google to find out what the melody of the folk song is! My only complaint is I wish the book was a little bigger but I'm hoping the colorful illustrations will translate well in a room full of kids.
Tati
I interviewed Claudia Rueda from Colombia. This is based on a Latin American traditional game played by children. It plays the game and has a fun surprise ending. Easy to translate while reading...
Vicki
This is a cute story with a repetitive phrase and general silliness. It may be appreciated a bit more by the pre-school crowd, but the Tiny Totters laughed at some of the pages. I also sang part of this book
Jen
Very repetitive book. Centered around a wolf getting ready in the morning while the other animals play in the forest. based on an old french game. Includes song in the end.
Tricia
a spanish/french play song highlights the bright pictures within this book with lots of repeating and a faux surprise ending where the wolf doesn't eat his friends.
Phoenix
Simple and Phoenix liked it but the part when the wolf shows he big teeth scared the happy out of me. I don't like that bit. But she likes acting parts of the book out.
Kris
This is one of my all-time favorite storytime books! Singing the song gets all the little ones chiming in. We turned it into a "Mother May I" game. Super, super fun!
Michelle
This will be a great read aloud. I can here the kids chiming in with the repetitive phrases. Hey they mention underpants and what is funnier than that!!!!!!
Lara
We read this is in story time, singing the "let's play in the forest..." parts and the kids thought it was hilarious! Lots of fun...
Paula
Lot of repetition to see if the wolf will come out. The wolf is getting dressed to go somewhere. Great book for storytime.
Ecl  Storytellers
Flannel set. This one's a winner! Kids can echo after you, "Wolf, are you there?" as wolf let's them know he's getting dressed.
Susan
LOVE it! Wish I could get the tune down better, but it's fun to just read it too. Great for storytime. Wolf are you there?!?
Beth
You might think that once the wolf is dressed, he'll run to eat the forest animals. Instead, he's happy to eat pancakes.
Maria
Another recent favorite of the books we checked out at the library. Tanner is facinated by the big bad wolf!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Tanka Tanka Skunk!
  • Chicken Soup
  • A Kitten Tale
  • Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit
Huff & Puff No Is It Big or Is It Little? My Little Polar Bear I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly