Start by marking “I Will Come Back for You: A Family in Hiding During World War II” as Want to Read:
I Will Come Back for You: A Family in Hiding During World War II

I Will Come Back for You: A Family in Hiding During World War II

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  36 reviews
What was it like to grow up Jewish in Italy during World War II? Sit with a little girl as her grandmother tells the story of her childhood in Rome, of being separated from her father, and of going into hiding in the mountains. Based on the experiences of the author's own family, this deeply moving book set during the Holocaust deals with a difficult subject in a way that ...more
Published September 27th 2011 by Schwartz & Wade (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about I Will Come Back for You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Will Come Back for You

Alex Baugh
I Will Come Back for You is one of the books that came out recently and was so highly recommended by reviewers. It is a fictionalized story about Marisabina Russo’s real life Jewish family living in Italy during the Second World War. The experience of Jews at that time and place is not the subject of many children’s books and so this is a welcome addition to the Holocaust body of work.

Everyday Nonna (Grandmother) changes her jewelry with the exception of her charm bracelet. Like most charm brace
4.5 stars I have given high ratings to books today...I am as shocked as you are.

This book is about World War II but I liked this book because it isn't the same old WWII Children's picture book.

First, I really like the pictures. There is a scene where they are in the cart being pulled by a donkey. Roberto is scared of the donkey and the expression of his face and body is just so compelling.

Second, this is a true story. But it isn't the same old story, it is about strong family bonds. The story
Apr 24, 2015 Deann added it
Shelves: multicultural
I Will Come Back For You by Marisabina Russo Primary Picture Book

Text to Text: This book is similar to Underground. In the story, Underground the characters have to travel by night and hide along the way to make it to freedom. The family in I Will Come Back For You the little girl’s family has to hide until they are safe. They do this by leaving at night and hiding in the mountains. The characters in both books need the help of others to make it to safety. In both books, the families are very ex
As with the first book I will read in my historical fiction text set, Inside Out and Back Again, this picture book touches on war, family separations, hardship and sacrifice.

"Remember Ha, the 10-year-old Vietnamese girl, from our last book? Let's all think together of some of the important parts of the story, and I will record it on our Inside Out and Back Again column of our Comparison Chart."

Teacher writes down things the kids remember from the book:
*Ha's dad has been missing-in-actio
Janette Fuller
A grandmother uses her charm bracelet to tell the story of her life in Italy during World War II.

The first charm is a donkey. The donkey represents the happy times that Jacob, Sabina and their children had in Rome before the war. They would often go to the park and ride on the backs of gentle donkeys.

The second charm is a piano. Jacob would play the piano and sing to his family each night when he got home from work. One day, Jacob learned that he and all Jewish men had to move to a small village
This fictionalized story describes the life of Marisabina Russo's Jewish family in Italy during World War II. Nonna wears a charm bracelet and tells the story of her life by describing each charm. When Nonna's father is sent to live in a small village in the mountains, Nazi anti-Semitism creeps closer to Nonna's childhood and family. Eventually, both her mother and father escape deportation to Germany, though only her father survives the war.

An excellent choice for elementary school collections
Based on real life stories from the author’s family, this is a story of survival during the years of the Holocaust. A little girl tells the story of her family in Italy during World War II. The book shows the transition from seeing soldiers around to the growing restrictions and imprisonment of Jewish families. The story starts in Rome where the family has been living, but then their father is sent away into the mountains with the other Jewish men. The family would travel into the mountains to s ...more
Originally reviewed at my Blog Here! Click to Visit!

I Will Come Back for You: A Family in Hiding During World War II by Marisabina Russo is a true story of how one woman survived Italy’s involvement in WWII. Told from the point of view of a grandmother, Nonna, recounting the story to her granddaughter, this story tugs at your heart and reminds us of the strength and courage of a generation of people who are to quickly leaving us. Although Russo has just slightly simplified the story for retelli
WW II is a topic not covered in many children's books, which makes this title a welcome addition to the materials that are available to teachers and their students. Not only does it fill a gap, but the book tells the story of hiding from the Nazis during the Holocaust in an engaging fashion. Because it is based on the experiences of the author's own family in Italy, the story is especially poignant. The story begins with a granddaughter's facination with the charm bracelet her grandmother wears. ...more
Kyla C.
Nonna changes her jewelry every day except for her charm bracelet. A donkey, a piano, a bicycle, a piglet, a barn, a spinning wheel, and a boat hang from it. Each charm is a memory that Nonna holds dear.

The donkey symbolizes the afternoons spent at the park with her brother, watching puppet shows, eating ice cream and taking donkey rides. And the weekends spent up in the mountains.
The Piano symbolized the happy time spent with her family before bed, listening to her papa play the piano, before
Sandi Rossman
I reviewed this book for the picture book soak category (picture book assignment).

A young girl listens to her grandmother tell her family's heart-wrenching story of separation during World War II. The Jewish family had to separate and go into hiding to avoid capture. The reader is left in suspense as the little girl and her brother wait for their mother to come back for them. The ending is sadly expected, but sends waves of hurt straight to the reader's heart.

I find the use of color in this boo
Reading Level: Primary
Genre: Picture Book, Historical Fiction
Review: The author describes the experiences of her Italian Jewish family during WWII. The plot moves along with a number of charms on a charm bracelet, each signifying part of the family's experience in hiding. The illustrations were okay, but not a favorite for me. The subject material is certainly heavy for the target audience, revealing the murder of the father, who actually doesn't come back, as the title suggests.
While learning about World War II I have found many books describing the harsh realities of life for Jews living in a Nazi occupied Europe. This is the first I have read that speaks about life for Jew’s living in Italy. Based on the authors own childhood experiences, I Will Come Home For You is a must read while covering this time in history, a wonderful discussion book to share with students.
Jerald Belofsky
This story is based on events in Italy during World War 2 that happened to Russo's family. There are photos on the inside front and back covers and the art inside is somehow gentle for younger children while not avoiding the danger that Jews faced.
Teresa Garrett
This story takes place in Italy during WWII. Little mention is made of the fate of Jews in Italy and this book tells their side of the war. While Jews were being discriminated against it was not to the same degree as Germany. That is until German soldiers come to Italy. First Jewish men are removed to remote villages in the mountains and given daily freedom but must check in daily. They were even allowed to have their families visit like the family in the story. When Germany came much closer the ...more
This book is a new and welcome addition to children's literature about the holocaust. There are very few books told about the plight of the Jews in Italy during the nazi regime. The author does a wonderful job of telling the truth without it being too scary. Her use of the grandmother's charm bracelet as a vehicle for the tale lends a sweet air. The illustrations are colorful and blend seamlessly with the text. Great endpapers with photos of the author's family and where the book was derived. My ...more
I think this is a well-done picture book based on a true story that makes one's heart ache at the bittersweet in it. It deals with the subject well and I think it important that the story is shared. Sharing it to a child in the story is a great way for the child reader to connect. I also like the charm bracelet "thread," though at times I forgot it was part of the story. Probably best as a lap-read or read-alone for the school-age, though book talking it would be a plus.

The pictures on the end p
A story about a little girl and her family during World War II in Italy.
Set in Italy during the Holocaust, this is a story told from the perspective of a grandmother recounting the tale to her granddaughter. Nonna, Italian for grandmother, tells of what it was like growing up in Rome during the 1930s and 40s. As a result of the Holocaust, she is separated from her father and forced into hiding. This story makes relatable the suffering endured by many during that time in history. Nonna's story provides a different perspective on what it means to be brave in the face ...more
Jamie Davis
This book is a simple telling of a Jewish family in Italy during WWII. It is told through a grandmother telling her granddaughter about her childhood. First the father is taken away and the family can still visit him. After awhile the mother is to be deported, but goes into hiding. Without revealing all of the ending, I will tell you that some of the family survive and immigrate to the United States.

My favorite part of this book are the end papers which have photographs of the author's family in
Kaitlyn Horvath
History isn't my favorite subject, but I really liked this book. Even though it was a kids book it made me want to keep reading. I truly felt for this family and i think they did a good job with how they told the story for both kids and adults. I think this book will be a book i use every year in my lessons and not get bored of it.
This beautiful children's book tells the true story about a Polish family's experience with anti-semitism in Italy during World War II but through a clever cumulative technique--a charm bracelet! This is my first children's book on the Nook tablet via destination download (virtual library--yay!).
bookaday #25. Great story of a courageous Jewish family in Italy during WWII. The author/illustrator recounts her grandmother's true story via the charms on her bracelet. Would make a good addition to a Holocaust unit, pair with The Butterfly by Patricia Polacco, along with many other titles.
I love picture books based on real events. This was an amazing story told simply and well about the authors family's experiences in Italy during World War II. She changed some of the facts for the purposes of the story but summarizes the facts at the end.
This short historical fiction story is a based upon many of the things families experienced during World War II in Italy. A family story of remembrance, this touching story reminds us how we keep our memories for many reasons.
This book is based on the author's family. Everyone needs to read this.
This compassionate story of a family hiding from the Nazis during WWII is nicely framed (a grandmother telling her granddaughter the story behind her treasured charm bracelet).
Edward Sullivan
Excellent story, based on the author's own family history, about a Jewish family in Italy that has to go into hiding during World War II.
Ms. B
Recommended by a coworker, this is a good book to open a discussion or dialogue with younger students about World War II.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Rose Blanche
  • Star of Fear, Star of Hope
  • One Candle
  • His Name Was Raoul Wallenberg
  • The Grand Mosque of Paris: A Story of How Muslims Saved Jews During the Holocaust
  • Irena's Jars of Secrets