Start by marking “Ollie the Purple Elephant” as Want to Read:
Ollie the Purple Elephant

Ollie the Purple Elephant

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Ollie is a purple elephant who is lost and has no place to call home. Until Shelby and Peter find him in the park—and invite him to live with them. Soon Ollie is a regular part of the family. He doesn't have a room to call his own, but he doesn't mind. He is happy. He loves hopscotch and kickball—but most of all he loves the dance parties the McLaughlins have after dinner....more
Published October 11th 2011 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Ollie the Purple Elephant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ollie the Purple Elephant

ratherread
4.5 Stars! (based on my grandson's reaction)

This is a cute fun book. The sentences were little mature for my 3 year old grandson, so I skipped some of the words and focused on telling the story by the excellent illustrations. He loved it and I am sure we will be reading this book for a couple more years.
Megan Renner
Alison
Sweet and funny!

When a parent promises a child they can have a purple elephant should they ever come across one, it is a promise made in jest, a folly! Not to the McLaughlins. At the park one day, what should they happen to see, but a purple elephant named Ollie. As promised, Ollie is given a home and a permanent place in the McLaughlin home, until one of their crabby neighbors (and the family cat) complains and Ollie is taken away to join the circus.

Don't fear - this is a children's book, wher...more
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
This review is also available on Get Kids to Read: http://www.mrtierneyslibrary.com

Jarrett J Krososzka is the type of author who can create a visually stunning world with his illustrations and write a story that is amusing and treasured by children and adults of all ages. Ollie is no exception. The story starts, with a promise by Shelby and Peter's father, that if they ever came across a purple elephant they could keep it.
Well, sure enough the family runs across Ollie in the park. Ollie is a p...more
Shazzer
"Mr. McLaughlin had always told his children that should they ever come across a purple elephant, they could keep him." Poor Mr. and Mrs. McLaughlin had no idea they would one day find Ollie, a purple elephant, in the park. Not wanting to go back on their word, the McLaughlins decide to invite Ollie home, where they put him up on the fold out couch, much to Ginger the cat's annoyance. While Ollie lives it up with the McLaughlins, Ginger makes a deal with the downstairs neighbor, Mr. Puddlebottom...more
Marika
Jarrett's Lunch Lady series and Punk Farm books have established him as a humorous writer/illustrator. But Ollie the Purple Elephant breaks new ground, and proves that Jarrett is just as adept at classical drama as silly tales. Ollie is on top of the world when he is adopted by the McLaughlin family. But their cat Ginger doesn't like Ollie, and neither does Mr. Puddlebottom, who can't stand the sound of McLaughlin dance parties-- especially when there's an elephant involved. Together, Mr. Puddle...more
April Thompson
Family and friendship are the ingredients to happiness
Shelli
Fun read aloud about a family that adopts a purple elephant named Ollie. Their families lives become filled with laughter and dance, much to the annoyance of their cantankerous cat and the downstairs neighbor. Together the cat and the neighbor concocted a plan to rid themselves of this pachyderm. Fun read aloud or book to recommend to elementary age students.
Clarissa
Cute book, sweet story, and I do love that the parents have always promised their children if they ever found a homeless purple elephant they would be allowed to keep it, and then one day they do find a homeless purple elephant. Unfortunately after that point the story turns into a not very original story of a jealous cat who gets rid of Ollie, only to be foiled.
Danie P.
Great for a read aloud picture book in a classroom setting. This longer picture book is about Ollie the Purple Elephant who is alone in the park until the McLaughlin family invites him home to stay. The neighbor hates this new family member so he plots with the McLaughlin's cat to send Ollie away to the circus.
Heather
Very amusing. I love the first line - it sets the tone for the silliness level. I think that the book would also make for a good classroom discussion on feelings - the angry/jealous cat and the disgruntled neighbor - and how we should handle our negative feelings. But it would also be just plain fun for sharing.
Marcia
If you ever find a purple elephant in the park, you can keep him....
Ollie joins the family, which makes just about everyone happy. But watch out for the cat! A colorful, fun picture book from the red-hot author of the Lunch Lady series. We are enjoying everything he writes. This is a fun read aloud.
Miri
The plot is the kind of rambling one that children often write (where you think you're just reading a story about a purple elephant and his family, but then suddenly, robbers!). This would probably make it interesting to kids, but is strange for adults to read.
Adrielle
I don't actually love Ollie's story, but I do love the author's choice of vocabulary in it. Kids should be given opportunities to see and use more words than those found in the stock dictionary for picture books. For that reason, I give Ollie high marks.
Sandybear76
I liked this book. Colorful. New characters. Ollie finds a fun family to live with but the neighbor doesn't like Ollie or the fun. He gets Ollie to the circus and the family can't find Ollie. a happy ending.
Kim
Ollie is tricked into thinking the McLaughlins don't want him around and runs away to the circus. Fun story with villains and colorful illustrations.

themes: animals, circus, elephants, family, friends
Marilyn
The man downstairs doesn't like the elephants' dancing on his roof. He conspires with the family cat to lie to Ollie that the family doesn't like him. Ollie runs away to the circus. It falls flat for me.
Read  Ribbet
Jarrett always finds interesting ways to talk about universal themes like what it means to be part of a family.

This is his latest offering to build a growing body of interesting books for kids.
Anne
I loved the beginning, but after Ollie joins the circus it fell apart for me.

More of an individual read than for storytime. The text is too long for reading to a group.
Colby Sharp
My class watched Jarrett read this book aloud the day it came out via his Ustream channel. It was a great experience for the class and myself share that experience with Jarrett.
Beth
Poor Ollie thought his owners didn't want him, so he went to the circus. Luckily things turned out even better in the end.
The Styling Librarian
Interesting how the cat fades into the background, love the resolution in the story. Enjoyed!
Scottsdale Public Library
The unforgettable and colorful return of the family pet, Ollie the purple elephant. –Monty K.-
Jane
Nov 19, 2011 Jane added it
Did it remind anyone else of the Lyle Crocodile books by Bernard Waber?
Rachel
Jarrett just read this aloud to my office. So great!
Edward Sullivan
Appealing story about an unusual pet.
Mary Anne
Cute! Ollie is the sweetest elephant!
Jill
Jill added it
Sep 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
studiojjk.com
punkfarm.com
lunchladycomics.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jarrett J. Krosoczka used to be a goofy kid that liked to draw. Now, he is a published author/illustrator with many books to his credit. Growing up in Worcester, MA Jarrett drew relentlessly and always had a cast of characters that he wrote stories for. In 9th grade, Jarrett won a contest with The Worcester Telegram & Ga...more
More about Jarrett J. Krosoczka...
Lunch Lady and the Cyborg Substitute (Lunch Lady, #1) Lunch Lady and the League of Librarians (Lunch Lady, #2) Lunch Lady and the Bake Sale Bandit (Lunch Lady, #5) Lunch Lady and the Author Visit Vendetta (Lunch Lady, #3) Lunch Lady and the Mutant Mathletes (Lunch Lady, #7)