Start by marking “Bridge of Ashes” as Want to Read:
Bridge of Ashes

Bridge of Ashes

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  235 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
In a futuristic world where space travel and psi talent are both commonplace, a boy is born with a gift of telepathy that is so powerful that it becomes a curse - even moving him to the moon isn't the answer. He taps into too many minds, including one extremely unique mind that belongs to a man who knows how we were created & why we are here...
Hardcover
Published March 1979 by Gregg Press (first published July 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Bridge of Ashes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bridge of Ashes

Jim
Oct 23, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it
Another blend of fantasy & SF. A futuristic world where space travel & psi talent are both commonplace. When a boy is born with a gift of telepathy that is so powerful that it becomes a curse - even moving him to the moon isn't the answer. He taps into too many minds, including one that is extremely unique mind that belongs to a man who knows how we were created & why we are here. Our societal problems are explained & time seems to wrap.

Tightly written in a broken series of ment
James Wayne Proctor
Excellent novel. Science fiction-ish and acccessible, I think, to any kind of reader. The only requirement going in is patience. There is that one thing. Being a patient reader is helpful. I was not, the first time I gave Bridge of Ashes a go, put it down without reading twenty pages. Picked it up again, however, with the sneaking suspicion that a good story might be lurking somewhere beyond that twentieth page. I was not disappointed. Smart story, sympathetic characters, with a bit of the old s ...more
Alazzar
Jun 27, 2013 Alazzar rated it really liked it
While I'll always admire Zelazny's ability to throw together such well-thought-out, creative plots as this one, I do have to say that the characters here were a little lacking. Not that they were bad, necessarily, but I'm sure I'll probably forget about them in a month or two; Dennis Guise is no Corwin or Sam. (Then again, Dennis Guise didn't really have a personality of his own until well into the book, and since that's a necessary part of the story we can't really blame him.)

That being said, t
Thomas
Jul 07, 2009 Thomas rated it really liked it
A slightly challenging but ultimately beautiful short novel by my favorite writer, Zelazny, about psychics, shadowy alien conspiracies, ecoterrorism, and the apocalypse. This novel is from 1976, when Zelazny seemed to be very interested in aliens interfering secretly in human affairs -- about the same period as Doorways in the Sand. But where Doorways is comic, quirky and impertinent, Bridge of Ashes is dark, moody and stylistically experimental. Parts of it read like prose poetry, and in a few ...more
Joey Brockert
May 12, 2013 Joey Brockert rated it liked it

The world has changed and the fighting has gotten more intense and personal. This story, to develop right, is complicated.
A married couple, who are telepaths, have a baby boy. The baby does not grow up normally, but has trouble interacting with others. As the parents are telepaths, they have some understanding of the fact of the child's problem, but they can not help, so they call in another telepath. As the child grows up, he becomes more strange and becomes connected to others outside his re
Melissa
Apr 17, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it
This is another by Zelazny that I enjoyed. It bounces around at the beginning but once you see what is going on it actually makes a lot of sense. It's a fun, simple read that is easy to follow. My only complaint is that the ending let me down a bit. A bit anti-climactic and left me with a "Hmm" kind of thought. Other than that, if you dig Zelazny give this one a read. His signature fantasy style comes through.
Michael Moe
Nov 07, 2015 Michael Moe rated it liked it
Haiku review:

Minor Zelazny/
Is still better than many/
Other writers' best.
Martin
Jan 08, 2015 Martin rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Just OK. The most interesting element of the book was the prediction not only of eco-terrorism, but the vapid and ill-considered logic of eco-terrorists.
Adam
Feb 14, 2010 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this is a short volume, it had a good pace and elements of classic Zelazny that I enjoyed, including the interweaving of mythology, science fiction, and history. An ancient game is at play to determine the fate of planet, and key characters vary from aliens to immortals, eco-terrorists to therapists, and telepaths to the greatest geniuses of the human race.

This reminds me of many of the short stories from "The Doors of His Face, The Lamps of His Mouth," which I think is a good thing.
Todd Martin
Nov 01, 2010 Todd Martin rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
The premise of “Bridge of Ashes” is very clever … human evolution was directed by aliens such that as technology developed we would poison the atmosphere in such a way as to be suitable for the alien life and result in the demise of the human species. We are a terraforming tool that self destructs when the job is complete. Ha ha ha …. Outstanding!

Unfortunately, other than the original premise, the execution and story line are lame.
Tom
Apr 27, 2011 Tom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
i swear that the stopped-time bit at the beginning of this was a story anthologized in _last defender of camelot_... but that book ain't around, and my memory is a bit burned out (it's been roughly 30 years since i read that one, after all). as a snippet, it's great, tripped out, and sums up everything in the book far better than anything that comes after, down to the rather lame finish.
Tol.
A good short novel by Roger Zelazny. The end of the world is near; a fragile teenager, his therapist and the mysterious 'dark' man are involved. How can earth and humanity be salvaged ? What exactly is the source of danger ?

This novel is not among Zelazny's best work but will keep your interest.
I only thought the 'environmentalism' sub-story detracted from the main story line.
Scott Rhine
Apr 27, 2011 Scott Rhine rated it it was amazing
if they had a button for favorite book of all time, I would click it for this.
to get the full effect, you need to read it all at one sitting(it's short enough and fast paced enough)
to hold it in your mind all at once,
Dev Null
Not my favorite Zelazny - especially given I read Today we Choose Faces just before it - but thats a bit like saying that its not the _best_ chocolate truffle I've ever eaten. Its all good.
Bryan Jacobson
Oct 31, 2009 Bryan Jacobson rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
Revisiting a book from a beloved author. Not Zelazny's best effort. Interesting premise, but ending is weak in my view. Characters are not fully engaging.
Robert Haight
Jul 16, 2009 Robert Haight rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
A great premise for a book, with typical Zelazny chacters and a week ending. Its a short quick read, but I think its worth it for some of the ideas.
Scott Dailey
Jul 17, 2013 Scott Dailey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Neat premise, another good read by Zelazny
Pierre
Dec 14, 2010 Pierre rated it it was ok
Shelves: dutch
Kinderen van de Aarde
unknown
unknown marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Del
Del rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Мартин Кадънков
Мартин Кадънков rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Stefan Grønvik
Stefan Grønvik marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
D
D added it
May 28, 2016
P WARNENSKI
P WARNENSKI marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Patrick Hulman
Patrick Hulman rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
Brad Woodcock
Brad Woodcock marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Sarah Dinsmore
Sarah Dinsmore marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Romina
Romina marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Magodellepercussioni
Magodellepercussioni marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
  • Replicant Night (Blade Runner, #3)
  • The Hollow Lands (Dancers at the End of Time, #2)
  • Eight O'Clock in the Morning
  • Test of Fire
  • The Book of the Damned (Secret Books of Paradys, #1)
  • Trumpets of War (Horseclans, #16)
  • Counterfeit Unrealities
  • The Book of Silence (The Lords of Dûs, #4)
  • Cobra Strike (Cobra, #2)
  • Under the Scotch Broom
  • The Exile Waiting
  • Time and Again
  • Psychoshop
  • Ashes for the Elephant God
Roger Zelazny made his name with a group of novellas which demonstrated just how intense an emotional charge could be generated by the stock imagery of sf; the most famous of these is A Rose for Ecclesiastes in which a poet struggles to convince dying and sterile Martians that life is worth continuing. Zelazny continued to write excellent short stories throughout his career. Most of his novels dea ...more
More about Roger Zelazny...