Bridge of Ashes

Bridge of Ashes

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  14 reviews
In a futuristic world where space travel and psi talent are both commonplace, a boy is born with a gift of telepathy that is so powerful that it becomes a curse - even moving him to the moon isn't the answer. He taps into too many minds, including one extremely unique mind that belongs to a man who knows how we were created & why we are here...
Hardcover
Published March 1979 by Gregg Press (first published July 1976)

Jim
Another blend of fantasy & SF. A futuristic world where space travel & psi talent are both commonplace. When a boy is born with a gift of telepathy that is so powerful that it becomes a curse - even moving him to the moon isn't the answer. He taps into too many minds, including one that is extremely unique mind that belongs to a man who knows how we were created & why we are here. Our societal problems are explained & time seems to wrap.

Tightly written in a broken series of ment...more
Alazzar
While I'll always admire Zelazny's ability to throw together such well-thought-out, creative plots as this one, I do have to say that the characters here were a little lacking. Not that they were bad, necessarily, but I'm sure I'll probably forget about them in a month or two; Dennis Guise is no Corwin or Sam. (Then again, Dennis Guise didn't really have a personality of his own until well into the book, and since that's a necessary part of the story we can't really blame him.)

That being said, t...more
Thomas
A slightly challenging but ultimately beautiful short novel by my favorite writer, Zelazny, about psychics, shadowy alien conspiracies, ecoterrorism, and the apocalypse. This novel is from 1976, when Zelazny seemed to be very interested in aliens interfering secretly in human affairs -- about the same period as Doorways in the Sand. But where Doorways is comic, quirky and impertinent, Bridge of Ashes is dark, moody and stylistically experimental. Parts of it read like prose poetry, and in a few...more
Joey Brockert

The world has changed and the fighting has gotten more intense and personal. This story, to develop right, is complicated.
A married couple, who are telepaths, have a baby boy. The baby does not grow up normally, but has trouble interacting with others. As the parents are telepaths, they have some understanding of the fact of the child's problem, but they can not help, so they call in another telepath. As the child grows up, he becomes more strange and becomes connected to others outside his re...more
Adam
While this is a short volume, it had a good pace and elements of classic Zelazny that I enjoyed, including the interweaving of mythology, science fiction, and history. An ancient game is at play to determine the fate of planet, and key characters vary from aliens to immortals, eco-terrorists to therapists, and telepaths to the greatest geniuses of the human race.

This reminds me of many of the short stories from "The Doors of His Face, The Lamps of His Mouth," which I think is a good thing.
Todd Martin
The premise of “Bridge of Ashes” is very clever … human evolution was directed by aliens such that as technology developed we would poison the atmosphere in such a way as to be suitable for the alien life and result in the demise of the human species. We are a terraforming tool that self destructs when the job is complete. Ha ha ha …. Outstanding!

Unfortunately, other than the original premise, the execution and story line are lame.
Tom
i swear that the stopped-time bit at the beginning of this was a story anthologized in _last defender of camelot_... but that book ain't around, and my memory is a bit burned out (it's been roughly 30 years since i read that one, after all). as a snippet, it's great, tripped out, and sums up everything in the book far better than anything that comes after, down to the rather lame finish.
Apostol Marinopoulos
A good short novel by Roger Zelazny. The end of the world is near; a fragile teenager, his therapist and the mysterious 'dark' man are involved. How can earth and humanity be salvaged ? What exactly is the source of danger ?

This novel is not among Zelazny's best work but will keep your interest.
I only thought the 'environmentalism' sub-story detracted from the main story line.
Scott Rhine
if they had a button for favorite book of all time, I would click it for this.
to get the full effect, you need to read it all at one sitting(it's short enough and fast paced enough)
to hold it in your mind all at once,
Dev Null
Not my favorite Zelazny - especially given I read Today we Choose Faces just before it - but thats a bit like saying that its not the _best_ chocolate truffle I've ever eaten. Its all good.
Bryan Jacobson
Revisiting a book from a beloved author. Not Zelazny's best effort. Interesting premise, but ending is weak in my view. Characters are not fully engaging.
Robert Haight
A great premise for a book, with typical Zelazny chacters and a week ending. Its a short quick read, but I think its worth it for some of the ideas.
Scott Dailey
Neat premise, another good read by Zelazny
Pierre
Kinderen van de Aarde
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Mark
Mark added it
Mar 22, 2014
Sstump
Sstump added it
Feb 26, 2014
Hrishikesh
Hrishikesh marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Sarah Sayre
Sarah Sayre marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Jeff
Jeff added it
Jan 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Roger Zelazny made his name with a group of novellas which demonstrated just how intense an emotional charge could be generated by the stock imagery of sf; the most famous of these is 'A Rose for Ecclesiastes' in which a poet struggles to convince dying and sterile Martians that life is worth continuing. Zelazny continued to write excellent short stories throughout his career, which share the inve...more
More about Roger Zelazny...
Nine Princes in Amber (Amber Chronicles, #1) The Great Book of Amber (Chronicles of Amber, #1-10) Lord of Light The Courts of Chaos (Amber Chronicles, #5) The Guns of Avalon (Amber Chronicles, #2)