Start by marking “Frida's Fiestas: Recipes and Reminiscences of Life with Frida Kahlo” as Want to Read:
Frida's Fiestas: Recipes and Reminiscences of Life with Frida Kahlo

Frida's Fiestas: Recipes and Reminiscences of Life with Frida Kahlo

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  27 reviews
In the tradition of the best-selling Monet's Table, Frida's Fiestas is a personal account in words and pictures of many important and happy events in the life of Mexican artist Frida Kahlo, and a scrapbook, assembled by her stepdaughter, of recipes for more than 100 dishes that Frida served to family and friends with her characteristic enthusiasm for all the pleasures of l ...more
Published September 20th 1994 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about Frida's Fiestas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frida's Fiestas

My Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna OthitisThe New Book of Middle Eastern Food by Claudia RodenEssentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella HazanSundays at Moosewood Restaurant by Carolyn B. MitchellAll Around the World Cookbook by Sheila Lukins
Best Ethnic Cookbooks
18th out of 183 books — 100 voters
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleLike Water for Chocolate by Laura EsquivelFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Food Reads
41st out of 226 books — 56 voters

More lists with this book...

Tania
The book can be seen in full here: http://www.american-buddha.com/frida....

Frida Kahlo is the most renowned Mexican female painter in the world. As evidenced by her paintings and by her personal style, she was totally dedicated to living Mexican, immersed in tradition. It is no surprise then that she was very attached to traditional Mexican food. I am familiar with a fair portion of these recipes due to my interest in Mexican food and having read some about it, but there are still a few interest
Shelley Cater
Co-written by Diego Rivera's daughter, Guadalupe Rivera, this book chronicles Frida's love for home, entertaining and cooking. It contains the menus and several recipes of meals she prepared for many special occasions (including the menu for Diego and Frida's wedding feast!), along with many photographs and journal entries. Though some of the ingredients are obscure, I plan to make an attempt at one of these menus in the near future. A beautiful book.
Barbara Mayfield
I visited Frida's house in Mexico City in 1984. Changed my entire concept of home decoration for the better. I like this book for the stories of her life and for the authentic recipes of Mexico.
Bob
Aug 10, 2013 Bob rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mary Lamb
Recommended to Bob by: BG Stinchfield
Shelves: latin-america
Just plain fun. A brief glance into the happy side of a family's life, and, for me, an introduction to Mexican traditional festivals. The pictures are beautiful, and I can't wait to try some of the recipes.
It's more dramatic than most cookbooks. The author remembers purchasing a rosca de Reyes in Mexico City's most elegant bakery as a child with Frida:
"Her entrance caused a sensation. The extravagantly ornate Tehuana attire and pre-Hispanic jewelry caught the attention of the audience, and w
Christy
This book is much more than just a collection of authentic Mexican recipes that Frida favored. The narrative, co-written by Frida's stepdaughter, also provides some engaging insight to who Frida Kahlo was and what moved her. It's not a biography but rather provides a pleasant portrayal of what it was like to be in Frida's orb, the time period, and the locations. I also appreciated the photos of Frida's paintings, residences where Frida lived with Diego, and the food. Oh, yes; the recipes... ahhh ...more
Alycia
Really great recipes. This is a book I think I should own for the food part. The writing is pretty romantic and whitewashed. Frida sure liked playing poor but she certainly didn't live like a communist! But I am excited about the cooking.
Djuna
Aug 02, 2014 Djuna added it
Beautiful picture cookbook of mexican recipes that Frida cooked.
Caroline
A wonderful celebration of Frida's love for cooking & entertaining shown in 12 different annual festivals/celebrations. Written by the daughter of Diego Rivera. Contains authentic recipes from Frida's own collection. Loved the photos showing her kitchen & Blue House views. I've made several recipes from the bk & they're actually very simple to follow.
Nancy
can't wait to try the authentic Mexican recipes of this book especially the Chiles en Nogada...
L'Artiste
This is a fun collection of recipes, written by one of Diego's children, who spent her childhood with Frida. The recipes are really interesting and unique, and the stories and photos that go along are wonderful!
Astrid
After completing "The Lacuna" by Kingsolver (wonderful!), I broke out "Frida's Fiestas," a book of recipes & reminicenses of life with Frida Kahlo. I feel a Mole Poblano coming on.
Jessica
Beautiful stories, pics, and authentic recipes. I've tried many of the dishes and my families favorites are the albondigas and the pasta with spinach/jalapeño cream sauce.
Netty B
Frida's food recipes are wonderful. They bring back some lost Mexican traditions. If you are looking for authentic Mexican Recipes I highly recommend this book.
Julia
Jan 11, 2008 Julia added it
Recommends it for: Tony, Kristin
This is a beautiful book filled with art and recipes. I make all of my green sauce from the three recipes listed in this book. Amazing mexican recipes.
Carol
Haven't tried any of the recipes yet; but the book has some delightful stories of Frida and Diego, and beautiful photographs. Will update re: recipes.
Julie
Who knew Frida was so incredible in the kitchen. If nothing else, this book is worth it's price for the Green Rice recipe on page 56.
Dee
Could read this several times for the photos alone. The recipes are quite traditional & the reminiscences are wonderful.
Naomi
Absolutely beautiful book... loved it! The photos gave me goosebumps. I look forward to cooking meals from this book!
Ellen Snyder
A really nice Mexican cookbook with great pictures of food and Frida. By the daughter of Diego Rivera.
Lore Setentaysiete
Excelentes recetas de toda la República Mexicana sazonadas con la historia de cada una. Excelente!
Kim
the story is OK but the photos are reason enough to get this book... beautiful!
Kim
Loved the biographical stories mixed with recipes...so authentic...
Roxy A.
Having cooked anything in the book yet. Great Mexican cookbook.
Chelsea
This is a wonderful book. I can't wait to make (most) of the recipes!
Laura Molina
My parents gave me this book for my birthday in 1994. Beautiful book!
Carla
My favorite anniversary gift ever!
Tralala
Tralala marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
  • Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook
  • Culinaria Spain
  • New Food of Life: Ancient Persian & Modern Iranian Cooking & Ceremonies
  • Authentic Mexican 20th Anniversary Ed: Regional Cooking from the Heart of Mexico
  • Culinaria: Germany
  • In Light of India
  • French Provincial Cooking
  • Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art
  • The Splendid Table
  • Love Soup: 160 All-New Vegetarian Recipes from the Author of The Vegetarian Epicure
Guadalupe: Body and Soul Paraiso Mexicano: Gardens, Landscapes, and Mexican Soul Guadalupe En Mi Cuerpo Como En Mi Alma Houses of Puebla: The Cradle of Mexican Architecture Mexico: Houses of the Pacific (English)