Start by marking “Taylor's Ark (Taylor's Ark, 1)” as Want to Read:
Taylor's Ark (Taylor's Ark, 1)

Taylor's Ark (Taylor's Ark #1)

Medicine and mayhem from the bestselling co-author of "Crisis on Doona." An epidemic is spreading from colony to colony in the vast reaches of space. Dr. Shona Taylor, with her team of four-legged assistants--including a dog with an immune system that can synthesize vaccines--sets out to find a way to stem the killer disease.
Mass Market Paperback, 280 pages
Published February 1993 by Ace Science Fiction

To ask other readers questions about Taylor's Ark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taylor's Ark

Travis
Nov 25, 2016 Travis rated it liked it
Very interesting premace, though I'm a little puzzled why the dog was mentioned as a vaccine factory if she was never put to that task during the entire book. Rabbits weren't used either, though the mice and cat were put to use. Anyway, a good enough story, a bit predictable once you got the hang of where the story was going, but a good read nonetheless. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes scifi with a bit of a mystery bend to it. Nice character development too, starting out with a young doctor ...more
Joseph Smith
Sep 07, 2016 Joseph Smith rated it liked it
SPOILERS:

I just finished this book. the characters really grew on me, i felt bad for Shona and Lani when tragedy struck, I liked Chirwl and his intellect but the ending wasnt very satisfying. Sure, the Antagonist was caught in the end, but there was so much buildup in the plot (with Wren killing Shonas baby, Veredad sabotaging Shonas good name by killing thousands of people to make a quick buck, etc) and it only took like 3 pages in the end to "wrap up" alot of the loose ends. It reminds me of a
Debbie
Aug 08, 2013 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I read several years ago, because Jody Lynn Nye had collaborated with Anne McCaffrey on some other books I enjoyed. It recently became available as an audiobook, so I decided to revisit the story. I was not disappointed the first read-through, or this first listen. In this space travel story, Dr Shona Taylor is assigned to settle human colonies to provide medical services. She is accompanied by a menagerie of animals that assist her in special ways. She also travels with an alien ...more
Jay Michaels
Mar 02, 2012 Jay Michaels rated it did not like it
Shelves: science-fiction
I'm sorry, but I gave up on this one at the end of Chapter 3. Taylor's Ark (1993) has a strong beginning, but quickly decayed into what appears to be a spy novel, with powerful people pulling strings behind the scenes.

Protagonist Shona Taylor is likable, tough, and sensitive, but since this is an election year, I just couldn't stand the arbitrary and unfair politics she was fighting against. That's just too close to life in the real world right now.

Maybe if I didn't hate the superficiality of
Beverly Diehl
Read it many years ago, and recently re-read the series. It holds up well, although the villain is a bit obvious.

Trigger alert - the character undergoes a second trimester miscarriage, so this may be difficult for readers who have themselves experienced infant/pregnancy loss (though there is a happy ending, so it may also be empowering.)

I loved the whole concept of both married partners having careers, and the idea of using animals as partners to cure/prevent disease. I can also see how a corpor
Kristen Sharpe
Apr 09, 2016 Kristen Sharpe rated it liked it
The back of the book synopsis and even the title is a bit misleading. Shona's animals don't play nearly as large a role in the plot as I would have expected. But, once it starts to build, the mystery behind the colony epidemics is far more interesting than the animals-as-doctors-assistants angle.
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Cali
Cali rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2011
Deborah Cochran
Deborah Cochran rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2016
Stevi
Stevi rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2014
Jen
Oct 24, 2008 Jen rated it really liked it
Good book
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2012
William Howe
William Howe rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2013
Toni
Toni rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2007
Raechel
Raechel rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2009
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2014
Laura rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2011
Charlotte McGary
Charlotte McGary rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2014
Paige
Paige rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2008
Valkerie Fabulous
Valkerie Fabulous rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2010
M
M rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2012
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it really liked it
May 31, 2016
Ron Judenberg
to-read
Linn
Linn rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2012
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2012
Sandra Mcdonald
Sandra Mcdonald rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Scott Drummond
Scott Drummond rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Kerry Trim
Kerry Trim rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine these books 5 154 Aug 08, 2013 06:26PM
  • Beast Master's Ark
  • The Death of Sleep (Planet Pirates, #2)
  • Jerlayne
  • Five Minute Love Stories
  • Until My Soul Gets It Right (The Bibliophiles #2)
  • Sporting Chance (The Serrano Legacy, #2)
  • Crossfire (Crossfire, #1)
  • Ambulance Ship  (Sector General, #4)
  • The Wishing Garden
  • Blacker Than Blue (Vampire Sorority Sisters, #2)
  • Archangel Protocol (LINK Angel, #1)
  • Bull God (Greek Myths, #4)
  • Danger Zone (Adrenaline Highs, #2)
  • Cards of Grief
  • The Immortality Clause (The Immortelle #1)
  • Cold Allies
  • Promised Land
Jody Lynn Nye lists her main career activity as ‘spoiling cats.’ When not engaged upon this worthy occupation, she writes fantasy and science fiction books and short stories.

Before breaking away from gainful employment to write full time, Jody worked as a file clerk, book-keeper at a small publishing house, freelance journalist and photographer, accounting assistant and costume maker.

For four year
More about Jody Lynn Nye...

Taylor's Ark (3 books)
  • Medicine Show (Taylor's Ark, 2)
  • The Lady and the Tiger (Taylor's Ark, 3)