Start by marking “How to Be Happy, Dammit: A Cynic's Guide to Spiritual Happiness” as Want to Read:
How to Be Happy, Dammit: A Cynic's Guide to Spiritual Happiness

How to Be Happy, Dammit: A Cynic's Guide to Spiritual Happiness

Guaranteed to perk up even the most cynical spirit, HOW TO BE HAPPY, DAMMIT is the first and only self-help book that merges psychology, biology, eastern and western philosophies, quantum physics, and the Zen of Bazooka Joe. Think love and happiness have passed you by? Think no schmaltzy book can help you capture the life-joy you're looking for? This book is different, pro ...more
Published June 20th 2011 by Celestial Arts (first published July 31st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about How to Be Happy, Dammit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Be Happy, Dammit

Kate
There came to a point earlier this year when I would visit my sister's house and our conversations would be like this:

Me: How are you guys?
Joe: All life is travesty.
Judy: I hate everyone. The entire universe is a bunch of f'ing idiots except for me.

If I called on the phone, it was the same. I was getting to the point I couldn't take it any more. I went to Barnes and Noble and out of the blue, How to Be Happy Dammit! called my name.

The book is a quick read full of interesting pictures, funny say
Rose
Jun 08, 2008 Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Recommended to Rose by: a therapist
Shelves: i-own-it
Years of suffering from severe depression have led to a slew of suggestions and readings for self-help. The major suggestions have been to find Jesus or to work with Marsha Linehan's dialectical behavioral therapy. For me, these methods are cop-outs and crap. The only thing that has ever been helpful that I've read has been THIS book. I first read it at age 15, borrowed from a therapist. Years later and 4 therapists past, the only good I got out of the 2 years I spent working with that particula ...more
Mandy
Jan 25, 2010 Mandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This reminds me of a coffee table book. There are only a few words on each page, but a lot of pictures. At first, I wasn't very impressed with the little writing and constant page turning. But, the more I read, the more pleasant the book became. It's a little new age-y, a bit scientific, and a lot of the golden rule. It basically tries to inspire you to try and be a nicer person, put yourself out there, and think positively. There's nothing wrong with that.

Will it change your life? Probably not.
Jodi
Aug 18, 2008 Jodi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My psychiatrist said that this book helped him more than all the textbooks and medical reviews he'd read. Simple and funny, it gets to the root of most of the issues blocking us from enjoying life.
Jenava
Sep 25, 2007 Jenava rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So true...and entertaining.
Alissa Bach
Mar 22, 2010 Alissa Bach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: non-fiction, humor
Loved the style of humor of this book!

This is definitely NOT your stereotypical, how-to-cope with crap, cheese to your whine self-help book. In fact, it isn't even a self-help book (although it would probably be shelved as such by those who don't know better). What "How to Be Happy, Dammit" is, essentially, a tasty litle morsel of inspiration. Over the course of 44 inter-related life lessons, the reader is given some valuable tips on how to live life to the fullest.

Is this book a magical soluti
Malpal
Jun 08, 2015 Malpal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this about three times since I bought it. My first read was right in the store since it's a relatively short book and I figured I could eliminate it from my growing pile. However, I just couldn't leave the store without it and ended up reading it again that night. This book is a masterpiece. Everyone, no matter what mental state they are in, should give it a read. It's brutally honest yet humorous and I feel deeply connected to it. It's bright and colorful pages bring a new surprise to ...more
Jen
Jan 07, 2016 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This felt to me like a grown-up version of The Meaning of Life; lots of pictures and textual tricks to very little actual text. Which was fine; it was visually a neat book.

In terms of context, it was a little less so. The first half of the book is blech; it wasn't until the latter half that I wasn't in despair of slogging through this simply because the first half is so preachy and chirpy that everything is your mood and you can be happy if you just try and pull yourself up by your bootstraps. H
Lili
Dec 21, 2007 Lili rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all cynics
I liked how she introduced life's lesson #1. We're born pure into the world and then whacked in the behind for seemingly no reason and it hurts. Then life's lesson #2 is that the pain in life's lesson #1 is for your benefit and growth. The book is wonderfully designed to catch your eye and the words she's putting together. It was a pick me up!
Maria McMahon
This is a little gem of a book! It's unlike your average 'self-help' book in that it's a very fast read, literally racing along so quickly that you barely have time to absorb the wisdom it offers (and most of it is extremely clever and visually appealing)... but then a strange thing happens... you find yourself going back over it, and absorbing it more and more. If you don't like hefty tomes but want something that works with lightening speed, whilst at the same time offering delightful hidden d ...more
Christina
This book was a gift a bit ago. It's beautifully designed and colorful and has good little snippets of ways to live a mindful life, though that's not the way Salmansohn would word it.
Darcy
Mar 27, 2009 Darcy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, non-fiction
This was a cute, short read that really left me feeling inspiring once I finished it. The illustrations were fantastic and the advice was easy to relate to.

A nice, self-help read. :)
Trudy
Sep 17, 2010 Trudy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very insightful little book!
Mala Ashok
Jan 24, 2016 Mala Ashok rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
They say "when the student is ready, the teacher will appear." I have lately been reading some good books and this little book is the perfect book. To me it has shown up at my doorstep over a decade of publication since I'm ready to appreciate it.It is a light, yet profound guide to a life of happiness for even the ultimate cynic. There are no rules and exercises just pointers and analogies and metaphors. The Jokes in the Boxes are very telling. All in all an impressive book which would make a g ...more
Aizl
Apr 10, 2016 Aizl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was more concerned what would these employees have thought on me as I slid through the counter in order to pay for it. I felt transient stiff at the back of my head and afraid that this title might have brought them into psychobabbled forum regarding my emotional status (please, you are thinking too much), but surely everyone wants to be happy. Dammit! This book has vivid epitome which navigates and nurtures morose person into fortuitous, cancer-free patient.
Caitlin Harrar
Someone in my family has been telling me for a few years to read this book. I've been going through some rough times, so he said it would help. Well I finally Picked up the book tonight and I haven't been able to put it down. I love it! It has great points/pointers, it makes me laugh, and it really gets me thinking about life and how I can make it more positive. I know that when i finish this book, i will probably pick it up and read it again.
Kasia
Great things really do come in small packages! Although this book is a fast read, there is so much great advice and wisdom in its pages. And it has my favourite story - of the baby elephant who is taught he can't escape his shackles, so even as he grows he never tries again even though he's bigger and stronger.
Highly recommend this one to anyone needing some support in their battle to be happy.
Tiffany
Apr 07, 2014 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book in college when I was taking a psych class and needed to review a self help book. It is a quick and hilarious read, but it is also something that has stuck with me for the last 7 years. It does include some profound truth and suggestions for life that make me think even now. I am so glad I bought it.
Fishface
Jan 30, 2016 Fishface rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All the principles of CBT (cognitive-behavioral therapy) shrunk down into haiku-sized, or smaller, sayings and sound bites. Great visuals combine with between-the-eyes insights to give the reader the potential to change everything they don't like about their lives. Now if only readers would act on it..!
Miss Kelly
Feb 09, 2016 Miss Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am loving this book and wanting to buy it for myself and all my friends. Quick and easy, down and dirty little book about life on life's terms and just being happy with it! Great gift idea for anyone who tends to be a little on the sad side.
Jenny Demonic
You can't buy kiwi in a shoe store, don't take the rope for fear of the unknown, and an eagle raised among chickens just needs a chance to soar.
Patricio Treviño
It took me less than an hour to read it, pretty legit! A very fun and hipstery way to talk about life lessons.
Dana
Jun 02, 2016 Dana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a quick read that is currently circulating among my co-workers. I hope it gets to those who need it!
Tyra Martin
this 'book' was more like a magazine but it was good . if your into psychology and philosophy , read it.
Lana
Jun 21, 2015 Lana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent happiness guide! I am definitely purchasing my own copy before the year is over.
Jam
Jul 23, 2014 Jam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book lifted my spirits through its ironic and slightly sarcastic humor. Enjoy it much!
Dave
Mar 16, 2014 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not life changing, but good stuff to be reminded of from time to time.
Serap
Jan 16, 2016 Serap rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!
Jenn
Rule #44 Live now, procrastinate later.
Rossana Snee
Feb 08, 2015 Rossana Snee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Well written, concise, and humorous at the same time. Full of timeless wisdom and insight! Would highly recommend!
  • I Can't Be Good All the Time: An Anne Taintor Collection
  • List Your Self: Listmaking as the Way to Self-Discovery
  • The New Rules of Posture: How to Sit, Stand, and Move in the Modern World
  • This Book Will Change Your Life
  • My Goodness: A Cynic's Short-Lived Search for Sainthood
  • A Guide to Better Movement: The Science and Practice of Moving with More Skill and Less Pain
  • Eat Mangoes Naked: Finding Pleasure Everywhere (and dancing with the Pits)
  • How To Stubbornly Refuse To Make Yourself Miserable About Anything, Yes Anything
  • Food--Your Miracle Medicine
  • Imagine a Woman in Love with Herself: Embracing Your Wisdom and Wholeness
  • The Body Sacred
  • Refuse to Choose!: Use All of Your Interests, Passions, and Hobbies to Create the Life and Career of Your Dreams
  • Repacking Your Bags: Lighten Your Load for the Rest of Your Life
  • The Little Soul and the Sun: A Children's Parable Adapted from Conversations with God
  • Little Billy's Letters: An Incorrigible Inner Child's Correspondence with the Famous, Infamous, and Just Plain Bewildered
  • The Book of Questions
  • Celtic Devotional: Daily Prayers and Blessings
  • Your Brain On Nature: The Science of Nature's Influence on Your Health, Happiness and Vitality

“Happiness is not about what happens to you, but how you choose to respond to what happens.” 15 likes
“Never go shopping for kiwis in a shoe store.” 1 likes