Start by marking “Hot Rock Dreaming (Johnny Ravine, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hot Rock Dreaming (Johnny Ravine, #2)

Hot Rock Dreaming (Johnny Ravine, #2)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  18 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Australia s most famous Aboriginal painter is dead...supposedly killed when a heavy object tumbled onto him in his studio during an earth tremor. But then doubts arise. For a start, the police now suspect murder. And why was the victim heard earlier predicting his own violent death? Enter private detective Johnny Ravine to solve the mystery...he suddenly finds himself ...more
Published May 1st 2010 by Ark House Press

To ask other readers questions about Hot Rock Dreaming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hot Rock Dreaming

Omega Writers
Apr 05, 2013 Omega Writers rated it really liked it
Four and a half stars.

Two reviews from our CALEB reviewers:

(1)

I love a love a good mystery story and Martin Roth’s Hot Rock Dreaming is among the best.

The book is a real whodunnit and the answer is not obvious until the very end. Set in the indigenous art and artist world in Alice Springs it draws heavily on a good understanding of Aboriginal dream-time spirituality. This does not detract from the Christian message that prevails throughout the story.

The book also highlights how modern mining t
Peter  Younghusband
Feb 08, 2014 Peter Younghusband rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I remember reading the following when I first read the description on Amazon a few years ago:

"Hot Rock Dreaming was one of seven finalists - and the only novel - for the 2011 Australian Christian Book of the Year award, chosen from sixty-seven entrants."

The judges wrote:

"Hired to investigate the death of an Aboriginal painter, private detective Johnny Ravine is drawn into a complex mystery as dangerous as it is intriguing. Environmental politics, land rights and Aboriginal spirituality are exp
Anne Hamilton
Nov 16, 2015 Anne Hamilton rated it it was amazing
A fast-paced whodunnit spiced with authentic flavours from the Australian outback and peppered with unusual spiritual overtones. Some readers might find several scenes way over the top but, having lived in Alice Springs for several months, I find them completely believable.

Roth's depiction of the intersection between the spirit world and that of everyday experience is the best I've read. He deals with the complex - and often contradictory - motivations and thoughts of people in a thought-provoki
Barbara Derksen
Nov 06, 2012 Barbara Derksen rated it really liked it
This Australian tale of aboriginals, spirits, and the responsibility of Christians toward aboriginals takes the reader through the discovery of the death of a leading artist from the aboriginal art community. Johnny Ravine, a private detective is hired to find the culprit and his journey takes him to Alice Springs, a small community in the outback.

Martin Roth takes us into a world totally unfamiliar to those of us who have never taken a trip down under. His story keeps the reader in a suspensef
Larry B Gray
Oct 15, 2012 Larry B Gray rated it it was amazing
“Hot Rock Dreaming” by Martin Roth is an excellent example of how to write a detective thriller. This book kept me guessing and on the edge of my seat from page one until the very end of the book. I could not put it down.

The storyline is well developed and easy to follow. Each twist and turn the story took lead to another great “ah-ha” moment. It was easy to put yourself into the story as the unseen character and become absorbed in the plot.

The characters were both real to life and easy to ident
Melissa
Mar 23, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
Recommended to Melissa by: Martin Roth
I stayed up late last night finishing this book. I had no idea what to expect when I picked it up. The story is fascinating, there is a lot of information there about Aboriginal spirituality that I never knew before.

The story is surprising with a lot of twists that I didn't see coming. The conclusion is also something I couldn't have worked out while reading the story.

As well as a good old "Who Done It" story, there is also a sub-plot of spiritual warfare that was powerfully written.
Rachel
Jun 09, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This is one of my new favorite series! The main character is awesome, and I love the fresh takes on a Christian novel from Australia!
Jutta
Jutta rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2014
Philippa
Philippa rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2011
Darnise Chilo
Darnise Chilo rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2016
Shirley Baskett
Shirley Baskett rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2014
Amber Gamell-Hall
Amber Gamell-Hall rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2013
Karen Davis
Karen Davis rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2014
Lynda Walls
Lynda Walls rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2014
Amanda Deed
Amanda Deed rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2013
Amber Gamell-Hall
Amber Gamell-Hall rated it liked it
May 13, 2014
yaf
yaf rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Don
Don rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2015
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2012
Jan
Jan added it
Mar 15, 2012
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2012
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
May 08, 2012
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 17, 2012
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2012
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2012
Jalien
Jalien marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2012
Adam Collings
Adam Collings marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2012
Shelly Bretheim
Shelly Bretheim marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2012
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2012
MaryAnn
MaryAnn marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2013
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2013
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2013
Emma Right
Emma Right marked it as to-read
May 14, 2013
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2013
Jeannie
Jeannie marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2013
ChrisGA
ChrisGA marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Becky House
Becky House marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Ian
Ian marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Kme_17
Kme_17 marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Cindy Chapman
Cindy Chapman marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Kimmie
Kimmie added it
Oct 02, 2014
Chris Toney
Chris Toney marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015