Start by marking “Paul Through Mediterranean Eyes: Cultural Studies in 1 Corinthians” as Want to Read:
Paul Through Mediterranean Eyes: Cultural Studies in 1 Corinthians

Paul Through Mediterranean Eyes: Cultural Studies in 1 Corinthians

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  25 reviews
In this ground-breaking study of Paul's first epistle to the Corinthians, Kenneth Bailey examines this canonical letter through Paul's Jewish socio-cultural and rhetorical background and through the Mediterranean context of its Corinthian recipients.
Published September 19th 2011 by IVP Academic (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Paul Through Mediterranean Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paul Through Mediterranean Eyes

Jesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes by Kenneth E. BaileyPaul Through Mediterranean Eyes by Kenneth E. BaileyWalking in the Dust of Rabbi Jesus by Lois TverbergThe Homeric Epics and the Gospel of Mark by Dennis Ronald MacDonaldSitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus by Ann Spangler
Culture Studies of the New Testament
2nd out of 7 books — 2 voters
Embracing the Love of God by James Bryan SmithReaching Out by Henri J.M. NouwenOffbeat Love Stories and More by Jennifer K. LaffertyThe Good and Beautiful Community by James Bryan SmithThe Good and Beautiful Life by James Bryan Smith
2012 Musts 2
98th out of 101 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

M Christopher
This is another solid contribution to the field of New Testament studies from Kenneth E. Bailey. Not quite as enjoyable or as potentially useful to the working pastor as his fine "Jesus through Middle-Eastern Eyes," it nonetheless contains several very helpful passages.

Bailey's approach continues to be based on his knowledge of ancient and modern Middle-Eastern languages and his experience of life in Middle-Eastern villages, which have changed little since the time of Christ. In "Paul through Me
David
I recall learning in seminary that the ancient Hebrews thought, and wrote, differently then we do today and this difference is a big obstacle to understanding their writing. Where we tend to write in a linear way so that the argument builds to a climax at the end (A-B-C-D), the Hebrews (Biblical prophets, Psalms)often wrote in a way that the main point is in the middle and everything surrounding it mirrors each other (A-B-C-B-A).

The crux of Bailey's argument is that since Paul was a Jewish Phari
Dave Courtney
Kenneth E. Bailey brings an extensive knowledge of middle eastern culture to his commentary on 1 Corinthians, most importantly his experience in middle eastern village life. He previously wrote "Jesus through Middle-Eastern Eyes", which I think is a good representative of his passion and area of interest. Here he expands this focus to apply the same sort of “cultural studies” approach to the world from which (he understands) Paul to have penned this letter. Bailey argues that with the East/West ...more
Debbie
"Paul Through Mediterranean Eyes" is a very thick commentary on 1 Corinthians. From the title, I expected a book focused on the cultural background of 1 Corinthians that would help us better understand Paul's points. However, the main focus was on the rhetorical style used in 1 Corinthians.

The author carefully constructed charts showing how the 1 Corinthians format matched that of the Old Testament prophets. He claimed that understanding this format would help us better understand the meaning of
Clint Walker
A couple of weeks ago I received a promotional catalog promoting forthcoming books that were due to be released. I saw Paul Through Mediterranean Eyes and I had to have it.

Paul Through Mediterranean Eyes is written by Kenneth Bailey. For decades, Bailey has been known as an expert in Middle Eastern culture. He has lived and ministered as a missionary, pastor and professor in the areas the Bible people lived in. Along the way, he picked up new insights about the cultural context that God's Word
Jeremy Bouma
There is a pernicious Euro-American centricity that undergirds much of our understanding and perspective on the Scripture, which is why I am thankful that a number of scholars are taking a new look at the social, cultural, and rhetorical foundation that those Scriptures are rooted in order to help us re-capture a non-Western and pre-Western perspective on the Text.

Enter Kenneth Bailey's new book "Paul Through Mediterranean Eyes: Cultural Studies in 1 Corinthians."

Bailey joins the likes of Ben Wi
Bob
I really enjoy Bailey's books which bring to bear middle eastern scholarship and cultural background that is normally ignored in western commentaries. This is perhaps best used as a companion to Thiselton and Fee's classic 1 Corinthians commentaries (He refers to them frequently, as well as Wright near the end). I enjoyed the strong connections to the ring composition and prophetic template of Isaiah and Amos. His commentary and application is often very insightful in ways I don't get from other ...more
Mark
There are plenty of other reviews that go in-depth, so I will limit my comments to a brief summary of my reaction and recommendation.

Dr. Bailey provides a perspective into interpreting 1 Corinthians that is different from most other commentaries. The rhetorical approach that sees the Hebrew rhetorical structure is valuable in uncovering meanings that may be missed or undeveloped in the typical linear reading of the epistle.

As some reviewers have noted, this book is much closer to a traditional c
Bryan
Bailey is always a good voice to have at the table when looking at the original context of Biblical passages. I appreciated this work since in the past most of his books have been focused on Jesus and his parables. This book helped to look at Paul more in his 1C context. Paul traditionally gets maligned more than Jesus. People try to associate him more with a 16C devotee of Martin Luther when in reality Paul was a 1C Jewish teacher with his heart and mind focused on Jerusalem and Torah.

Bailey a
Michael
Jan 29, 2012 Michael is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The author has a deep understanding of the historical and cultural context of 1 Corinthians that enables him to provide satisfying explanations for some of the cryptic phrases used by Paul and to compare Paul's writings with works from a surprising range of other people, including Abraham Lincoln and Plato! The author reveals the beautiful poetic form of many passages in 1 Corinthians, as well as some interesting background on Paul himself, such as ways in which his identity as an experienced le ...more
Mike Klein
Really good book that wasn't exactly what I expected. Thought it would be more about the culture of Corinth, and while that's an underlying part of the whole book, it isn't specifically referenced for every section of the book.

What is there is wonderful, however. The case the author makes for organizing the book really answers a lot of the tough questions the letter presents. The author unapologetic-ally references the difficult work of others who have translated the letter and has added a struc
April Yamasaki
Excellent resource for my preaching series on 1 Corinthians
Lana
This book is very in-depth but was not what I was expecting. It is more about the style of the writing in Corinthians than the customs of the day or new insights into the scriptures that Paul wrote. I found it difficult to wade through and hard to understand, but would have tried harder if the subject was what I was expecting and interesting. It was not. I finally quit without finishing book....however sad that is to say.
Karen
Jun 22, 2012 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Pastors, Bible teachers and scholars
Shelves: christian
I just finished taking a class with Ken Bailey at Trinity School for Ministry in Ambridge PA. This book was the text for the class. Both the book and the lectures were awesome. His premise about the "ring composition" of Corinthians is one of those "why hasn't someone seen this before" kind of things. It makes you look at many of the letter's passages with entirely new eyes and ears. Wonderful!
Радостин Марчев
Много интересна като стил и форма книгата не е типичен коментар. Според мен съдържа някои много точни попадения. Въпреки това трябва да призная, че не успя да ме "грабне" и като цяло я завърших с доста мъка. Което не означава, че не е почти задължително четиво за всеки изследовател на 1 Коринтяни.
John
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Meticuously researched, this book laid out the intricate arguments of Paul in the context of Corinth and his use of the rabbinical style.

In some sense you don't even recall you are reading a commentary. It simply carries you along in the brilliance of what Paul is writing.
Marlene
Dr. Bailey's lifelong study of the mideastern milieu brings amazing insights into the culture of Corinth and is very helpful in understanding what was going on in the letters to the Corinthians. I can't praise it enough.
Steven Wedgeworth
I didn't always agree with Bailey, but his readings are always interesting. He combines cultural context with literary form in order to provide a stimulating commentary.
Donna Hughey
In-depth commentary on 1 Corinthians. Not exactly what I was expecting, but it did offer explanations on Middle Eastern thinking which I found interesting.
Bill
Interesting approach: deconstructs 1 Corinthians using techniques of literary criticism. Not terribly useful as a commentary.
Ranoordam

It took me a while to "get into this book" but it is worth keeping at it. Practical insights
Ellen Little
This is an amazing book, but I really had to read it slowly! Each chapter has so much to take in!
K B
Bailey always is intriguing, thought-provoking and enlightening. Recommended reading.
Diane
Dense, in-depth commentary on 1 Corinthians, with a strong dose of cultural explanation.
Micah Tedford
Micah Tedford marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Andrea Braun
Andrea Braun marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
  • Misreading Scripture with Western Eyes: Removing Cultural Blinders to Better Understand the Bible
  • Practice Resurrection: A Conversation on Growing Up in Christ (Spiritual Theology #5)
  • Paul and the Faithfulness of God (Christian Origins and the Question of God, #4)
  • The Lost World of Scripture: Ancient Literary Culture and Biblical Authority
  • Spurgeon's Sermons Vol. 1-10 (5 double volumes)
  • The Evolution of Adam: What the Bible Does and Doesn't Say about Human Origins
  • The Bible Made Impossible: Why Biblicism Is Not a Truly Evangelical Reading of Scripture
  • Jesus the Jewish Theologian
  • The King Jesus Gospel: The Original Good News Revisited
  • The Great Awakening: Reviving Faith and Politics in a Post-Religious Right America
  • The Great Omission: Reclaiming Jesus's Essential Teachings on Discipleship
  • Jewish Annotated New Testament-NRSV
  • Beauty Will Save the World: Rediscovering the Allure and Mystery of Christianity
  • The Prophets
  • Reading the Gospels Wisely: A Narrative and Theological Introduction
  • Jesus and the Eyewitnesses: The Gospels as Eyewitness Testimony
  • The New Testament in Antiquity: A Survey of the New Testament within Its Cultural Context: A Survey of the New Testament Within Its Cultural Context
After undergraduate and seminary studies, Dr. Bailey completed degrees in Arabic Language and Literature, Systematic Theology and a doctorate in New Testament. Ordained by the Presbyterian Church (USA), Dr. Bailey spent 40 years (1955-1995) living and teaching in seminaries and institutes in Egypt, Lebanon, Jerusalem and Cyprus.

For 20 of those years Dr. Bailey was Professor of New Testament and He
More about Kenneth E. Bailey...
Jesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes: Cultural Studies in the Gospels Poet & Peasant, and Through Peasant Eyes: A Literary-Cultural Approach to the Parables in Luke The Cross & the Prodigal: Luke 15 Through the Eyes of Middle Eastern Peasants Jacob & the Prodigal: How Jesus Retold Israel's Story Finding the Lost: Culture Keys to Luke 15 (Concordia Scholarship Today)

“The following high points are prominent in this brief homily.
1. Breaking into ethnic enclaves is unacceptable. Furthermore, loyalties to individuals is not an excuse for breaking the unity of the church. Their leaders are not adequate centers of primary loyalty.
2. No group in the church has the right to claim that they alone are loyal to Christ.
3. They are "called by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ" (1:2) and in that name they can find their unity (1:10).
4. Baptism and the cross also call them together.
5. The question is not "Who is my leader?" but rather, "Who died for us?"
With the problem of this first essay stated boldly, Paul turns to the cross in the shadow of which their divisions can be eclipsed (1:17-2:2).”
0 likes
“People with differences can work together if they have the same purpose. Paul wants all of them to think along the same lines, and to have a united purpose.” 0 likes