Paul Through Mediterranean Eyes: Cultural Studies in 1 Corinthians

Paul Through Mediterranean Eyes: Cultural Studies in 1 Corinthians

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  21 reviews
In this ground-breaking study of Paul's first epistle to the Corinthians, Kenneth Bailey examines this canonical letter through Paul's Jewish socio-cultural and rhetorical background and through the Mediterranean context of its Corinthian recipients.
Published September 19th 2011 by IVP Academic (first published September 1st 2011)

Embracing the Love of God by James Bryan SmithReaching Out by Henri J.M. NouwenOffbeat Love Stories and More by Jennifer K. LaffertyThe Good and Beautiful Community by James Bryan SmithThe Good and Beautiful Life by James Bryan Smith
2012 Musts 2
98th out of 101 books — 4 voters
Jesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes by Kenneth E. BaileyThe Homeric Epics and the Gospel of Mark by Dennis Ronald MacDonaldPaul Through Mediterranean Eyes by Kenneth E. Bailey
Culture Studies of the New Testament
3rd out of 3 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

M Christopher
This is another solid contribution to the field of New Testament studies from Kenneth E. Bailey. Not quite as enjoyable or as potentially useful to the working pastor as his fine "Jesus through Middle-Eastern Eyes," it nonetheless contains several very helpful passages.

Bailey's approach continues to be based on his knowledge of ancient and modern Middle-Eastern languages and his experience of life in Middle-Eastern villages, which have changed little since the time of Christ. In "Paul through Me...more
David
I recall learning in seminary that the ancient Hebrews thought, and wrote, differently then we do today and this difference is a big obstacle to understanding their writing. Where we tend to write in a linear way so that the argument builds to a climax at the end (A-B-C-D), the Hebrews (Biblical prophets, Psalms)often wrote in a way that the main point is in the middle and everything surrounding it mirrors each other (A-B-C-B-A).

The crux of Bailey's argument is that since Paul was a Jewish Phari...more
Debbie
"Paul Through Mediterranean Eyes" is a very thick commentary on 1 Corinthians. From the title, I expected a book focused on the cultural background of 1 Corinthians that would help us better understand Paul's points. However, the main focus was on the rhetorical style used in 1 Corinthians.

The author carefully constructed charts showing how the 1 Corinthians format matched that of the Old Testament prophets. He claimed that understanding this format would help us better understand the meaning of...more
Clint Walker
A couple of weeks ago I received a promotional catalog promoting forthcoming books that were due to be released. I saw Paul Through Mediterranean Eyes and I had to have it.

Paul Through Mediterranean Eyes is written by Kenneth Bailey. For decades, Bailey has been known as an expert in Middle Eastern culture. He has lived and ministered as a missionary, pastor and professor in the areas the Bible people lived in. Along the way, he picked up new insights about the cultural context that God's Word...more
Jeremy Bouma
There is a pernicious Euro-American centricity that undergirds much of our understanding and perspective on the Scripture, which is why I am thankful that a number of scholars are taking a new look at the social, cultural, and rhetorical foundation that those Scriptures are rooted in order to help us re-capture a non-Western and pre-Western perspective on the Text.

Enter Kenneth Bailey's new book "Paul Through Mediterranean Eyes: Cultural Studies in 1 Corinthians."

Bailey joins the likes of Ben Wi...more
Bob
I really enjoy Bailey's books which bring to bear middle eastern scholarship and cultural background that is normally ignored in western commentaries. This is perhaps best used as a companion to Thiselton and Fee's classic 1 Corinthians commentaries (He refers to them frequently, as well as Wright near the end). I enjoyed the strong connections to the ring composition and prophetic template of Isaiah and Amos. His commentary and application is often very insightful in ways I don't get from other...more
Mark
There are plenty of other reviews that go in-depth, so I will limit my comments to a brief summary of my reaction and recommendation.

Dr. Bailey provides a perspective into interpreting 1 Corinthians that is different from most other commentaries. The rhetorical approach that sees the Hebrew rhetorical structure is valuable in uncovering meanings that may be missed or undeveloped in the typical linear reading of the epistle.

As some reviewers have noted, this book is much closer to a traditional c...more
Michael
Jan 29, 2012 Michael is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The author has a deep understanding of the historical and cultural context of 1 Corinthians that enables him to provide satisfying explanations for some of the cryptic phrases used by Paul and to compare Paul's writings with works from a surprising range of other people, including Abraham Lincoln and Plato! The author reveals the beautiful poetic form of many passages in 1 Corinthians, as well as some interesting background on Paul himself, such as ways in which his identity as an experienced le...more
Mike Klein
Really good book that wasn't exactly what I expected. Thought it would be more about the culture of Corinth, and while that's an underlying part of the whole book, it isn't specifically referenced for every section of the book.

What is there is wonderful, however. The case the author makes for organizing the book really answers a lot of the tough questions the letter presents. The author unapologetic-ally references the difficult work of others who have translated the letter and has added a struc...more
April Yamasaki
Excellent resource for my preaching series on 1 Corinthians
Lana
This book is very in-depth but was not what I was expecting. It is more about the style of the writing in Corinthians than the customs of the day or new insights into the scriptures that Paul wrote. I found it difficult to wade through and hard to understand, but would have tried harder if the subject was what I was expecting and interesting. It was not. I finally quit without finishing book....however sad that is to say.
Karen
Jun 22, 2012 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Pastors, Bible teachers and scholars
Shelves: christian
I just finished taking a class with Ken Bailey at Trinity School for Ministry in Ambridge PA. This book was the text for the class. Both the book and the lectures were awesome. His premise about the "ring composition" of Corinthians is one of those "why hasn't someone seen this before" kind of things. It makes you look at many of the letter's passages with entirely new eyes and ears. Wonderful!
Радостин Марчев
Много интересна като стил и форма книгата не е типичен коментар. Според мен съдържа някои много точни попадения. Въпреки това трябва да призная, че не успя да ме "грабне" и като цяло я завърших с доста мъка. Което не означава, че не е почти задължително четиво за всеки изследовател на 1 Коринтяни.
John
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Meticuously researched, this book laid out the intricate arguments of Paul in the context of Corinth and his use of the rabbinical style.

In some sense you don't even recall you are reading a commentary. It simply carries you along in the brilliance of what Paul is writing.
Marlene
Dr. Bailey's lifelong study of the mideastern milieu brings amazing insights into the culture of Corinth and is very helpful in understanding what was going on in the letters to the Corinthians. I can't praise it enough.
Steven Wedgeworth
I didn't always agree with Bailey, but his readings are always interesting. He combines cultural context with literary form in order to provide a stimulating commentary.
Donna Hughey
In-depth commentary on 1 Corinthians. Not exactly what I was expecting, but it did offer explanations on Middle Eastern thinking which I found interesting.
Ranoordam

It took me a while to "get into this book" but it is worth keeping at it. Practical insights
Ellen Little
This is an amazing book, but I really had to read it slowly! Each chapter has so much to take in!
Diane
Dense, in-depth commentary on 1 Corinthians, with a strong dose of cultural explanation.
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Pierre Franco
Pierre Franco marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Eric Christenson
Eric Christenson marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Kirk
Kirk marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
After undergraduate and seminary studies, Dr. Bailey completed degrees in Arabic Language and Literature, Systematic Theology and a doctorate in New Testament. Ordained by the Presbyterian Church (USA), Dr. Bailey spent 40 years (1955-1995) living and teaching in seminaries and institutes in Egypt, Lebanon, Jerusalem and Cyprus.

For 20 of those years Dr. Bailey was Professor of New Testament and He...more
More about Kenneth E. Bailey...
Jesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes: Cultural Studies in the Gospels Poet and Peasant: Literary-cultural Approach to the Parables in Luke The Cross & the Prodigal: Luke 15 Through the Eyes of Middle Eastern Peasants Jacob & the Prodigal: How Jesus Retold Israel's Story Finding the Lost: Culture Keys to Luke 15 (Concordia Scholarship Today)