Mortal Pursuit

Mortal Pursuit

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  560 ratings  ·  47 reviews
From New York Times and USA Today bestseller Michael Prescott, author of FINAL SINS and COLD AROUND THE HEART, comes a dizzying thrill ride of nonstop action, danger, and suspense.

Rookie patrol officer Trish Robinson isn't expecting to see any action during another routine night on the job. But when she and her training officer answer a prowler call at a remote estate, th...more
Published November 16th 2010

To ask other readers questions about Mortal Pursuit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mortal Pursuit

Ben Jackson
Ok, so remember when you were a kid, and you liked the Hardy Boys, or Encyclopedia Brown, or The Bloodhound Gang, or The Phantom Menace? Yeah, well, those had more nuanced and complex storylines and characters than this worthless pile of awful offal.

It is clear that Michael Prescott (who was not originally willing to publish under his own name in 1997, opting instead for Brian Harper - a name shared with a former MLB catcher and current minor league manager) had some major dirt on the good peopl...more
kent
The book I read was a e-re-release of a 1997 novel. It is a story of a rookie cop in Santa Barbera California. Despite the odds she proves her self time and again. Her partner is shot in a botched burglary and she doesn't give up. Some of the references are dated but fun none the less.
Joe Young
Rookie patrolman Trish Robinson goes out on her fifth patrol with her training officer in a supposedly crime free area in Santa Barbara county when they are alerted by the dispatcher to investigate a 911 call reporting a prowler in the yard at an exclusive home, in a wooded area, at the top of a dead end road. They ring at the gated drive and are invited up to the house. They identify themselves and are assured that it was a mistake an the owners wife was spooked and mistakenly thought an olive...more
David Dalton
Mortal Pursuit is one of the few books out there that lives up to the hype. I cannot see anyone giving this book anything less than 4 stars! It is a well written action & suspense thriller. Shades of John McClane! This book is similiar in nature to the Die Hard movies in respect to the hero (or in this case heroine) is in the wrong place at the wrong time. Trish Robinson is a rookie patrolwomen out on a routine patrol when all heck breaks loose and suddenly she is alone against a team of kil...more
Joyce McKune
Fast paced! Great heroine! Rookie cop in a small town with no crime walks into a hostage situation. Her girl scout leader drilled into her "No Medal for Quitters!" so she kept reminding herself and kept trying to save the hostages.
Nikki Wilde
Trisha, a rookie cop is having a really bad day. It started when her toilet overflowed and she was late for roll call. It only went downhill from there. Her partner and her walk into an ambush which leaves her alone, unarmed and the only one standing between a ruthless team of killers and a young girl and her family.

This book was super fast paced. Lots of action packed suspense. This book comes in fast and doesn't slow down until the very end. I really enjoyed this book. You really start to thin...more
Teresa
Another excellent read by Michael Prescott. Trish Robinson will be on my mind for a long time. Such a brave young woman, never giving up. I love how Mr. Prescott brings you into each and every character's thinking. You feel like you personally know each character, whether you like them or not is a different story. As you read this book, you cheer, you groan in frustration, you feel their pain and anger. The ending is perfect, and I wish there was a sequel to this book. I'd love to know what each...more
Patti
Could not put this down!! Keeps you hooked the entire time.
Mary Sieczkowski
This novel was originally published in the 90's so the storyline lacks some modern (who would ever think of saying the 90s isn't modern...) devices such as a cell phone (they do mention a car phone) which would have come in handy. Very good story with lots of action. First half was especially good as was the ending. There were several chapters approximately 50%-75% marks that could have been condensed and/or eliminated. Too much detail on each characters movement. Overall, it was good and I woul...more
Kenny
Great action packed book. Never slowed down. Hard to put down. Loved it!
Maerhys
Against my better judgment, I really enjoyed this! It was somewhat predictable in that I could see how Trish's back story connected to the current story right away, but that didn't hamper my enthusiasm for the roller coaster ride. Another reader wrote that this could easily be an installment in the Die Hard franchise and I agree -- it's an adrenaline rush of a read that doesn't let up. I was tired and sated after finishing it. I bought another Prescott book as soon as I finished this one.
Dascha
Fast paced action from the start drew me in and kept me reading. I enjoyed the pace and high drama. But the unpredictable things really weren't. The biggest let down for me was it seemed to be a series of cliffhanger events, one after another after another - like "no way is she going to survive this- and then of course she does. Just like all those cliffhanger thriller movies out there - it becomes predictable - I kinda just glossed over some of it in the end.
Rick Schmidt
Wow this was a very good book. A good plot line with a super heroin who kept battling back against and evil murder who like raping and murdering young girls and women. Our heroin was a recent police academy graduate who wasn't ready to face the big challenge she would face with Cain and his terrible crew. Along the way a terrible person is revealed who isn't who we think he is too. Please read Mortal Pursuit to learn more.
Linda Ramos
A small town encounters their first real crime. Trish a rookie cop faces five criminals and a crooked attorny after his wifes inheretence. Mr. Kent was even willing to allow his daughter Ally to be killed as well. Kudos ro trish and Ally for friendship forged through tough times. I really enjoyed the thrill, fear of the unknown and the strength to face and conquer anything to keep the peace by Trish.
RollingT
If you like a sadistic gang of burglars and a courageous super heroine you will probably love this book. It does read fast. The author sure crams a heck of a lot of action into two hours or so hours. Much of it is unbelievable but that's always true of this type of book. I might try one of his books published under his real name to see if there may be something of value.
Barbara

This book is less creepy than Blind Pursuit and more intense. The female character is insanely strong. She gets knocked down and keeps going like Dirk Pitt in the old Clive Cussler books. Same comment as on Blind Pursuit. You know what you are getting with Michael Prescott which isn't always a bad thing.
Jaymark
This book was fast paced halfway. It didn't start off that exiting at first but soon after the chase started it became more interesting. The scenario was okay and the ending was good. Overall it was a good read. I have a couple of more Michael Prescott books and I look forward to read it.
Rosemarie
As usual, this book did not disappoint. Prescott is a master at ending his chapters in the middle of a heart-pounding scene, then starting the next chapter with another scene. Kept me reading way past my bedtime every night! Great suspense!
Marylou
Totally unrealistic the amount of injury one could suffer and still be able to function. However, the plot was intriguing and kept you wanting to see how it played out. A quick read for sure - stayed up till way too late finishing it!!
Anne Marie
Ok, so the premise is really unbelievable but it totally works and hooks you in. Strong female lead rookie cop and fast paced action make it a page turner for me. I really enjoyed it and would love to read more of his books.
Michael
Started reading Prescott while away on vacation. Found his books to be suspensful and entertaining. Have read several of his books that I will add to my list. Recommend any of them to those who like mystery/suspense novels.
Lauren
I really enjoyed the suspense and fast-paced action involved with this book, but this book had moments where I had to turn the page due to some suggestive and scary situations, but otherwise a great book.
Val Wilkerson
Good thriller about a rookie woman cop who new one the job finds herself in the middle of a
murder robbery in the small town where nothing ever happens, until now. It was a good read.
Stephenie Patterson
This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. Very action-packed, and realistic. I am really going to enjoy reading his other books!
Caitlin Lombardi
Decent book. Keeps your interest. I liked that all the action takes place in one night. I would have liked a little more character development.
Judie Kleng
Michael's books are so fast moving, it's hard to set aside. They're also very believable. I've read almost all of them. Very good writer!
Kiira Bayman
Some people might think it's cheesy, but I really enjoyed it. There was constant action and a very likable main character. Thumbs up!
Georgina DuFour
This book was fantastic! I had a hard time getting into it, but once it took off, I had to hold on tight. It was hard to put down.
Denise
I dont know what it was about the book I enjoyed it. But I would've liked to see the ending be a bit longer. it just stoppef.
Mary
Aug 09, 2012 Mary added it
I hated to put this book down. Full of suspense and unexpected turns. Over a thousand pages but I flew through them.
  • A Killing Tide (Columbia River, #1)
  • Borrowed Time
  • The Devil's Deep
  • Eyewall
  • PLAZA: An Archaeological Thriller
  • Capitol Reflections
  • The Phoenix Apostles (A Seneca Hunt Mystery #1)
  • A Touch of Deceit
  • Killing Hope (Gabe Quinn #1)
  • Dead Shot (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #2)
  • PRIMAL Fury (PRIMAL, #3)
  • Leviathan
  • Ice Age
A pseudonym used by Douglas Borton, aka Brian Harper.

Douglas Child Borton, Jr. grew up in New Jersey and attended Wesleyan University, then moved to Los Angeles and pursued a career as a screenwriter. After working with several independent producers, he eventually switched to writing novels, a much less stressful occupation. He has published eight thrillers, from Comes the Dark (1999) to Mortal Fa...more
More about Michael Prescott...
Stealing Faces Last Breath Blind Pursuit The Shadow Hunter Riptide