Start by marking “Mortal Pursuit” as Want to Read:
Mortal Pursuit

Mortal Pursuit

From New York Times and USA Today bestseller Michael Prescott, author of FINAL SINS and COLD AROUND THE HEART, comes a dizzying thrill ride of nonstop action, danger, and suspense.

Rookie patrol officer Trish Robinson isn't expecting to see any action during another routine night on the job. But when she and her training officer answer a prowler call at a remote estate, th
Published November 16th 2010 (first published December 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Mortal Pursuit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mortal Pursuit

Ben Jackson
Oct 14, 2011 Ben Jackson rated it did not like it
Shelves: why-god-why
Ok, so remember when you were a kid, and you liked the Hardy Boys, or Encyclopedia Brown, or The Bloodhound Gang, or The Phantom Menace? Yeah, well, those had more nuanced and complex storylines and characters than this worthless pile of awful offal.

It is clear that Michael Prescott (who was not originally willing to publish under his own name in 1997, opting instead for Brian Harper - a name shared with a former MLB catcher and current minor league manager) had some major dirt on the good peopl
kent
Jan 04, 2012 kent rated it liked it
The book I read was a e-re-release of a 1997 novel. It is a story of a rookie cop in Santa Barbera California. Despite the odds she proves her self time and again. Her partner is shot in a botched burglary and she doesn't give up. Some of the references are dated but fun none the less.
Ruby Thomas
Jan 19, 2016 Ruby Thomas rated it it was amazing
Great Read

If you love thrillers, then this page turner is the book for you. The author did a superb job of breathing life into his characters and scenery.
Audra
3.5 stars. Wanted to give four stars as was a fun read but some of the story was just ridiculously implausible.
Joe Young
Dec 19, 2011 Joe Young rated it really liked it
Rookie patrolman Trish Robinson goes out on her fifth patrol with her training officer in a supposedly crime free area in Santa Barbara county when they are alerted by the dispatcher to investigate a 911 call reporting a prowler in the yard at an exclusive home, in a wooded area, at the top of a dead end road. They ring at the gated drive and are invited up to the house. They identify themselves and are assured that it was a mistake an the owners wife was spooked and mistakenly thought an olive ...more
David Dalton
Mortal Pursuit is one of the few books out there that lives up to the hype. I cannot see anyone giving this book anything less than 4 stars! It is a well written action & suspense thriller. Shades of John McClane! This book is similiar in nature to the Die Hard movies in respect to the hero (or in this case heroine) is in the wrong place at the wrong time. Trish Robinson is a rookie patrolwomen out on a routine patrol when all heck breaks loose and suddenly she is alone against a team of kil ...more
Nikki Wilde
May 09, 2011 Nikki Wilde rated it it was amazing
Trisha, a rookie cop is having a really bad day. It started when her toilet overflowed and she was late for roll call. It only went downhill from there. Her partner and her walk into an ambush which leaves her alone, unarmed and the only one standing between a ruthless team of killers and a young girl and her family.

This book was super fast paced. Lots of action packed suspense. This book comes in fast and doesn't slow down until the very end. I really enjoyed this book. You really start to thin
Mary Sieczkowski
Aug 07, 2011 Mary Sieczkowski rated it liked it
This novel was originally published in the 90's so the storyline lacks some modern (who would ever think of saying the 90s isn't modern...) devices such as a cell phone (they do mention a car phone) which would have come in handy. Very good story with lots of action. First half was especially good as was the ending. There were several chapters approximately 50%-75% marks that could have been condensed and/or eliminated. Too much detail on each characters movement. Overall, it was good and I woul ...more
Teresa
Dec 03, 2013 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent read by Michael Prescott. Trish Robinson will be on my mind for a long time. Such a brave young woman, never giving up. I love how Mr. Prescott brings you into each and every character's thinking. You feel like you personally know each character, whether you like them or not is a different story. As you read this book, you cheer, you groan in frustration, you feel their pain and anger. The ending is perfect, and I wish there was a sequel to this book. I'd love to know what each ...more
Rick Schmidt
Aug 08, 2012 Rick Schmidt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow this was a very good book. A good plot line with a super heroin who kept battling back against and evil murder who like raping and murdering young girls and women. Our heroin was a recent police academy graduate who wasn't ready to face the big challenge she would face with Cain and his terrible crew. Along the way a terrible person is revealed who isn't who we think he is too. Please read Mortal Pursuit to learn more.
Dascha
Sep 26, 2011 Dascha rated it liked it
Shelves: thrillers
Fast paced action from the start drew me in and kept me reading. I enjoyed the pace and high drama. But the unpredictable things really weren't. The biggest let down for me was it seemed to be a series of cliffhanger events, one after another after another - like "no way is she going to survive this- and then of course she does. Just like all those cliffhanger thriller movies out there - it becomes predictable - I kinda just glossed over some of it in the end.
Linda Ramos
May 16, 2012 Linda Ramos rated it really liked it
A small town encounters their first real crime. Trish a rookie cop faces five criminals and a crooked attorny after his wifes inheretence. Mr. Kent was even willing to allow his daughter Ally to be killed as well. Kudos ro trish and Ally for friendship forged through tough times. I really enjoyed the thrill, fear of the unknown and the strength to face and conquer anything to keep the peace by Trish.
RollingT
Feb 29, 2012 RollingT rated it liked it
If you like a sadistic gang of burglars and a courageous super heroine you will probably love this book. It does read fast. The author sure crams a heck of a lot of action into two hours or so hours. Much of it is unbelievable but that's always true of this type of book. I might try one of his books published under his real name to see if there may be something of value.
Barbara
May 05, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it

This book is less creepy than Blind Pursuit and more intense. The female character is insanely strong. She gets knocked down and keeps going like Dirk Pitt in the old Clive Cussler books. Same comment as on Blind Pursuit. You know what you are getting with Michael Prescott which isn't always a bad thing.
Alana Tyson
Oct 19, 2014 Alana Tyson rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book. I discovered Prescott while on vacation searching for mystery reads. So happy his books are affordable and non-stop page turners. Perfect for the beach. Trish was loveable, story had me on edge from beginning to end!
Rosemarie
Oct 15, 2011 Rosemarie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual, this book did not disappoint. Prescott is a master at ending his chapters in the middle of a heart-pounding scene, then starting the next chapter with another scene. Kept me reading way past my bedtime every night! Great suspense!
Jaymark
Dec 03, 2011 Jaymark rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This book was fast paced halfway. It didn't start off that exiting at first but soon after the chase started it became more interesting. The scenario was okay and the ending was good. Overall it was a good read. I have a couple of more Michael Prescott books and I look forward to read it.
Lauren
Dec 01, 2011 Lauren rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the suspense and fast-paced action involved with this book, but this book had moments where I had to turn the page due to some suggestive and scary situations, but otherwise a great book.
Marylou
May 29, 2013 Marylou rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Totally unrealistic the amount of injury one could suffer and still be able to function. However, the plot was intriguing and kept you wanting to see how it played out. A quick read for sure - stayed up till way too late finishing it!!
Anne Marie
Aug 20, 2011 Anne Marie rated it really liked it
Ok, so the premise is really unbelievable but it totally works and hooks you in. Strong female lead rookie cop and fast paced action make it a page turner for me. I really enjoyed it and would love to read more of his books.
Michael
Aug 15, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it
Started reading Prescott while away on vacation. Found his books to be suspensful and entertaining. Have read several of his books that I will add to my list. Recommend any of them to those who like mystery/suspense novels.
Joyce McKune
Aug 08, 2014 Joyce McKune rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced! Great heroine! Rookie cop in a small town with no crime walks into a hostage situation. Her girl scout leader drilled into her "No Medal for Quitters!" so she kept reminding herself and kept trying to save the hostages.
Nicole Caicedo
Sep 12, 2013 Nicole Caicedo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book through me for a complete loop. I love Trish Robinson's character. She was so defiant and brave even when she didn't believe things would work out. Prescott didn't disappoint under the Brian Harper pen name with this one.
Janet
Jun 24, 2013 Janet rated it it was amazing
Really Good. K.
Karen
Dec 13, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it
I have been reading this authors books FREE on the kindle and they are have been consistently good thrillers.
Georgina DuFour
Jun 22, 2012 Georgina DuFour rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic! I had a hard time getting into it, but once it took off, I had to hold on tight. It was hard to put down.
Fred
Jan 14, 2012 Fred rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, fast action, never put it down read. Recommend to any mystery reader.
Bob Bennett
Sep 25, 2015 Bob Bennett rated it really liked it
Entertaining

The book was easy to follow with good story. It has interesting characters and a non-traditional hero. I enjoyed it.
Cindy DeMoville
Jul 18, 2011 Cindy DeMoville rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011-books-read
1st time I've read this author... He was okay...
Kellee
Jan 17, 2012 Kellee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ibooks
I loved this book. Only my 2nd book by Michael Prescott and it was great. Kept me on my toes.
  • Riptide
  • A Killing Tide (Columbia River, #1)
  • Borrowed Time
  • Just Run
  • King City
  • Ransom Beach (Stephanie Chalice Mystery #2)
  • First, Do No Harm (Brier Hospital, #1)
  • Cry of the Needle
  • A Dozen Deadly Roses
  • Amanda's Eyes (A.J. Gregson)
  • Eyewall
  • We Hold These Truths
A pseudonym used by Douglas Borton, aka Brian Harper.

Douglas Borton grew up in New Jersey and attended Wesleyan University, then moved to Los Angeles and pursued a career as a screenwriter. After working with several independent producers, he eventually switched to writing novels, a much less stressful occupation. He has published 25 thrillers, starting with horror novels in the 1980s and continui
More about Michael Prescott...