Start by marking “San Domingo: The Medicine Hat Stallion” as Want to Read:
San Domingo: The Medicine Hat Stallion

San Domingo: The Medicine Hat Stallion

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  1,138 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Peter Lundy has two joys in life: the rugged western plains where he has grown up and San Domingo, a Medicine Hat Stallion. The Indians believe such a horse is sacred -- that neither bullet nor arrow can harm its rider. As they explore the prairie together, a bond forms between Peter and San Domingo that can never be broken. But Peter's father, Jethro Lundy, knows only one ...more
Published October 31st 1992 by Aladdin (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about San Domingo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about San Domingo

Black Beauty by Anna SewellThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenrySeabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand
Horse Books/Novels
91st out of 777 books — 470 voters
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtryTrue Grit by Charles PortisBlood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthyBury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee BrownAll the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy
Best Westerns
256th out of 636 books — 864 voters

More lists with this book...

Karen GoatKeeper
Marguerite Henry writes wonderful horse stories. Although the story may revolve around a person, the horse is a major player. Each breed of horse is different from other breeds and their differences are noted in her books.
San Domingo is a mustang. A medicine hat mustang has a special coloring - a brown 'hat' over ears and crown - and is highly regarded by the Indians.
Peter is the son of homesteaders in Nebraska. His father runs a smithy and trading post. He has a hidden past that leaves him unfe
Anne Osterlund
Peter needs to leave home. His father doesn’t love him. He makes that clear in every exchange. And Peter is prepared to run away. But then he makes a special trade for a colt named San Domingo. Domingo is special, a medicine hat sacred to the tribes of the southwest. For Domingo, Peter will risk everything.

San Domingo is a surprisingly mature story for a Marguerite Henry book. Peter grows up from age twelve to fifteen. His home life is genuinely difficult. The challenges he faces expand beyond
Chris
Most horse crazy people read Marguerite Henry at one point in thier lives. What constantly surprises me is how easy Henry is for an adult to read.

Like most horse crazy girls, I read Henry for years, but the one book I couldn't get my hands on was this one. When I got Breyer's new San Domingo model horse it came with this book (I love a company that encourages reading), so I finally read it.

This book is somewhat dated, and the PC police would no doubt be upset about the somewhat childlike way Hen
Margo Berendsen
I can't believe there was still one Marguerite Henry book I hadn't read... I read all the rest, dozens of times, as a horse-crazy kid.

This last one - discovered via Elizabeth Foley (thank you!) - just might be my most favorite (or possibly a tie with King of the Wind).

First of all, it's set in Wyoming, my adopted state - or rather, Nebraska Territory as it was known in the 1850's during the years of the Oregon trail. So many of the places mentioned I was familiar with, and it was wonderful to
Haleigh
Lafanda
A really great read for the young horse-lover. Unlike a lot of young adult horse books, this one relates more to young boys than to young girls. It is about a young boy who works for the Pony Express on his mustang San Domingo. Due to the horse's unusual coloring, legend says that no harm will come to the rider of the horse. This book goes through the young boy's adventures as he works along the Pony Express.
Yibbie
It was very dark compared to her other works. The language was not appropriate for children. The main character has some very good qualities, forgiveness being the most prominent. What does he do when he looses what he held most dear?
Pam
Exciting wild west story

Marguerite Henry has a wonderful style of writing that's appealing to young readers and old alike. This was a wonderful story of a young boy and his Indian pony living in the wildest party of the old west. Filled with surprises and exciting adventures.
Bonnie
Read this as a youngster and fell in love with the Pony Express. A passion that has not abated with the years (won't say how many). As an adult I searched for the book and with the advent of the internet and its wonders, was able to find it. It's now one of my most cherished books. Both for the story and for the memory of lying on the living room floor and reading it aloud to my little brother.
Emily
Rena Sherwood
I love Marguerite Henry and I love the Breyer model horse San Domingo, but I could never finish this book. It's just too depressing. If you do buy it, splurge for the hardback edition with full-color illustrations. They add to the story.
Nichole
Another re-read for me. Love these books!
Serena
My Rating System:

I have read multiple times and will hopefully get a chance to read it at least once more. I love the authors writing style, plot progression and world building. Not to mention the editors did an excellent job.
Amanda
This book has been passed down in my family and I hope to pass it down to my own children someday. It's a great book for introducing children to the Western genre of literature. If your child is also interested in horses, the story is rich in the vocabulary equestrians use while telling a story full of valuable life lessons.
Mrsdhodz
I love this authors horse books for children of all ages. This is a pleasant little fictional story, but she's also written about actual ponies. She will grab the attention of horse lovers near and far.
Kayla
Apr 08, 2011 Kayla rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nobody
Shelves: stopped-reading
I did not even get to read this book!! I started looking through the pages and the chapter title had language in it. Who created language, profanity, or bad words anyway?!?!
Jill
May 07, 2012 Jill rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: horses
I remember sneaking this book from my sister's bookshelves to read every so often. LOL. I loved (still do) horse stories and couldn't get enough of them.
Abby
Very sad but happy at the same time. Good for any horse lover witha bit of a wild side.
April Brown
A tale of the Pony Express and a boy’s trials to earn the respect of his father.
Eileen Y.
I like it but its kind of boring in the middle
Kate
I absolutely love this book!
Jessica
About the Pony Express.
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Valarie
Valarie marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
  • The Horse-Tamer (The Black Stallion, #14)
  • Green Grass of Wyoming (Flicka, #3)
  • Fritz and the Beautiful Horses
  • Smoky the Cow Horse
  • Come On, Seabiscuit!
Marguerite Henry (April 13, 1902-November 26, 1997) was an American writer. The author of fifty-nine books based on true stories of horses and other animals, her work has captivated entire generations of children and young adults and won several Newbery Awards and Honors. Among the more famous of her works was Misty of Chincoteague, which was the basis for the 1961 movie Misty, and several sequel ...more
More about Marguerite Henry...
Misty of Chincoteague (Misty, #1) King of the Wind: The Story of the Godolphin Arabian Stormy, Misty's Foal (Misty, #3) Brighty of the Grand Canyon Justin Morgan Had a Horse