Start by marking “McClairen's Isle: The Reckless One (McClairen's Isle, #2)” as Want to Read:
McClairen's Isle: The Reckless One (McClairen's Isle, #2)

McClairen's Isle: The Reckless One (McClairen's Isle #2)

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  442 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Raine: The Reckless One

Raine Merrick's wild reckless spirit had earned him time in a French prison. When a mysterious beauty gains his freedom only to betray him, Raine Merrick sets out for his father's castle on McClairen's Isle, seeking the treasure hidden within. But strange surprises await him in the Highlands. He never expected to find his deceitful angel masquerading
Published January 11th 2000 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about McClairen's Isle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about McClairen's Isle

David
Mar 14, 2012 David rated it really liked it
As of late u will see that i've been reading lots of Romance type novels. Recently I saw one of my friends throwing out, lots of books, and i said "Whoa There" let me take a look.

She informed me I would not be interested, cuz they were just trashy romance novels, but i culled out the Historical Romance ones, cuz I love reading Historical novels. The remainder I donated to my local community college, which they later sold ALL of them , at a book sale. The moral of the story , Don't throw your boo
Nadine Jones
I had a hard time rating this. It was really good, but not amazingly good. Really more of a 3.5 stars ... but no half stars, and it's better than good (which in my mind, "good" = 3 stars), so 4 stars.

Just as when I read McClairen's Isle: The Passionate One, I didn't like this much at first. It took me a while to get into it and start to care about the characters. I think that was more a function of where my head was at than of the quality of the book.

We meet Raine Merrick rotting away in jail, s
Megan B
Jul 31, 2015 Megan B rated it liked it
The Reckless One had some major character development flaws. It felt like listening to a great song, and every ten seconds a minion pops up and shouts "banana!" You're reading along and thinking "ok, this isn't a terrible book" then POOF, something pops up that makes you pause and pulls you out of the story. Little things that add up to be one major flaw.

Favor starts out in the novel as a strong willed, confident, and apparently talented con artist. You are led to believe she's faked a french a
Tracy
May 23, 2014 Tracy rated it really liked it
As much as I liked this story, it wasn't quite as good as the first book.

I did like Raine, he didn't seem reckless to me and he was so young when he was imprisoned that I am not sure I really buy that he was the sexual master Ms. Brockway tries to portray him as.

Favor was a good heroine, but I didn't like that she was so easily guilted into going along with Muria's plan. And to be honest - it was a stupid plan.

Again, Lord Carr is a twisted, evil, totally vile character. And why were people ca
Teresa
Jan 21, 2014 Teresa rated it liked it
I had already read the other two books in this series, and they have become pretty predictable by now. However, I did enjoy the book. The main fellow, Raine, is, as so often is the case, a ladies' man to the core. He even slept with a nun...give me a break! However, the back story of Raine and favor is quite endearing, so I couldn't help but like the fact that they got together. Muira became terribly annoying, so I was glad when she got what was coming to her. Carr is the typical obnoxious, crue ...more
Lori McD

This installment in the trilogy was much better than the first book, in my opinion. There wasn't as much blatant and gratuitous sex and heavy petting. The characters were well-drawn, and the "mystery" surrounding the story was well-done.

This book is about Raine Merrick, the second child of Janet McClairen and Randall Merrick, Earl of Carr. Carr didn't really like either of his boys, Ash or Raine; but he always petted and cossetted the youngest, a daughter named Fia. Raine apparently tri
Maria
Jul 20, 2014 Maria rated it really liked it
This is book 2 of the Merrick Siblings. I truly enjoyed this story. It made me laugh, was sad in parts and hopeful in others. Raine and Favor were great characters. Both strong and individually independent. I like this book more so than book 1. I love to buy trilogy books when the last book in the series comes out so I can read them back to back, as I did with this one.
Laurla2
"my heart, graceless thing, did not ask my opinion. it loved without first seeking my counsel."
P.
Oct 01, 2014 P. rated it liked it
Wow. More than a tad over done, but I mostly enjoyed reading it.
Morgan
Jul 04, 2009 Morgan rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-a-b-c
I liked the first book better. Not sure what was different, could be that I stopped in the middle and mislayed the book then picked it up a few weeks later. Anyhow, Connie Brockway continues to remain on my Author TBR list. Will start book 3 as soon I as I finish a few others which are half read.
Betsy
Jul 05, 2009 Betsy rated it really liked it
This is the second book in a series, and it is better than the first! It's interesting how the two characters lie to each other, but they know the reasoning behind it, and just let it go. No drama about it, they are reasonable people. very refreshing!
Michelle Callaghan
Mar 13, 2012 Michelle Callaghan rated it it was ok
I just couldn't get into this book. Hard to review it because I just didn't enjoy it. Too predictable, too slow, nothing to make it stand on its own.
Boring!
Hilary
Sep 29, 2007 Hilary rated it really liked it
Pretty good. Raine Merrick and the girl (Favor McClairen) who had saved him from death as a kid – at the expense of her own clan.
Susan
Dec 22, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
Raine & Favor, fightg to right past wrongs, findg frndshp & lv despite pst histry, vengenc & hate
Megan
Jul 17, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it
Good storyline, characters, and fluff sections. Very enjoyable!
Amber
Jul 25, 2013 Amber rated it liked it
Rather overwrought, but I still enjoyed it.
S. Niehart
Sec2000
Feb 17, 2013 Sec2000 rated it did not like it
blah
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Dana Al-Basha
Dana Al-Basha marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Chee
Chee rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
Barbara Xedos
Barbara Xedos marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Clara Babinski
Clara Babinski rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Seema
Seema added it
Feb 02, 2016
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Heidi
Heidi added it
Jan 31, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
  • One Man's Love (The Highland Lords, #1)
  • Seducing a Scottish Bride (MacKenzie, #6)
  • The Dreamer (Highland Treasure, #1)
  • To Tempt a Scotsman (Somerhart, #1)
  • Adventures of a Scottish Heiress
  • Her Highland Fling (Second Sons, #2.5)
  • The Blood of Roses (Highlands, #2)
  • By Design (Medieval #2)
  • Shattered Rainbows (Fallen Angels, #5)
  • The MacLean Groom (Highland Lairds Trilogy, #1)
  • To Catch a Highlander (MacLean Curse, #3)
  • The Runaway Duke
  • The Legend (Torridon, #1)
  • The Diamond Slipper (Charm Bracelet #1)
  • Give Me Tonight
  • Flaming Arrow
New York Times and USAToday best selling author Connie Brockway has twice won the Romance Writers of America's Rita award for best historical romance as well as being an eight time finalist. After receiving a double major in art history and English from Macalester College, Connie entered grad school with an eye to acquiring her MFA in creative writing. Soon enough she jettisoned the idea of writin ...more
More about Connie Brockway...

McClairen's Isle (3 books)
  • McClairen's Isle: The Passionate One (McClairen's Isle, #1)
  • McClairen's Isle: The Ravishing One (McClairen's Isle, #3)